• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Reckheim

new dev update is up.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/393

Hi everyone,

In this latest dev update I’ll cover the remaining two high level goals for the changes to the mission system coming in the 2.1 The Engineers update.

I’ve decided to tackle consequences and rewards in the same update as they are often different sides of the same coin. Missions already have a range of impacts on the galactic simulation, but this isn’t communication as clearly as it could be. This is relatively easy to address for things like state and reputation as they are based on absolute values and with buckets that need to be filled or emptied. For aspects like influence this is much more complicated as the changes occur after the mission is completed and also relative to every other action during that period. So influence isn’t part of the mission changes (except to indicate that you’ve made a positive, or negative impact), but is planned for the future.

As mentioned in previous updates your success and failure in missions affects your relationship with the minor faction and these changes are clearly identified and communicated. With minor faction states we’re intending making their effects more noticeable on available missions, ship traffic and composition, and markets. At the moment these can be quite subtle, so beefing them up with add more drama to a star system.

Consequences also have a more immediate response, so authority response if they are attacked will be sharper.

For rewards our first goal is to provide a range that is wider than simply credits. Credits will still be a common reward for missions, but we’re adding greater variety. One such addition is that of ‘treasure’ locations – this is a bonus for certain missions that can lead you to a cache or other location with valuable vouchers or items that can be collected.

Materials for crafting can also be awarded for completing missions, along with certain hard to find commodities, or even salvage only items. More commodities and materials are being added to the game, I’ll go into more detail on this in a future dev update. Some of these commodities may only be available through missions and can be used for story events as well as rewards. Missions have varying rewards for effects on minor factions which are getting a balance pass to make changes in state more likely as well as more noticeable.

Credits will still feature as rewards and rewards will be balanced to scale better with difficulty and also be more lucrative if you’re well regarded by the minor faction.

Along with the changes mentioned we’re conducting a pass through the mission templates to make them more reliable and address issues seen in the current build. This is accompanied by adding more scenarios for the various mission types and also to better reflect the active states in the system.

One other small tweak is that the cockpit now has a clock to help keep an eye on the time!

As you’ll no doubt know by now we announced that we’ve delayed the 2.1 Engineers release - there is a lot in it, and we decided it was better to take some extra time to ensure that we get it to a quality we are fully happy with before releasing it. While we aren’t talking a specific release date at the moment we are aiming for a beta release in May. I’d also like to reiterate David’s post from earlier today that The Engineers isn’t the next build release, we have a few more 2.0x releases planned before then.

As usual when we are preparing for upcoming releases my dev updates will now be paused for a while – but I will return!

Michael

Wreav

Banned
At this point, I'm ready to just wait for 3.1 and jump into a year's worth of content with VR.

The only update I'm interested in this year is 2.3.

They have clarified that minor client updates/bug fixes will be released prior to 2.1, which makes me feel much better. Their initial statement seemed pretty clear that there would be no client updates until 2.1, specifically saying to address bugged missions they'd just turn them off server side to prevent them from appearing but Braben has made a concise statement stating that minor updates should continue.

Onemic

wtf, now whenever I try logging in the game tells me to enter a verification code and when I do it tells me I have to purchase Elite Dangerous to play even though I have the deluxe edition -_-

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bought it, played it for like 24 hours or so, loved it, haven even used a ground vehicle or landed on a planet yet.

Going to jump back in as soon as my Rift and Vive come in.

Reckheim

you no longer can use the horizons link in your game library, you have to use the original elite dangerous link, ... not sure if there is an easier way but i had to delete the horizons game and redownload the game to make it work.

Onemic

you no longer can use the horizons link in your game library, you have to use the original elite dangerous link, ... not sure if there is an easier way but i had to delete the horizons game and redownload the game to make it work.

Will I still have access to horizons? I got it working by entering my elite dangerous key into the product access key page on my frontier account, but it says the other twos keys for horizons and the pilot starter pack have already been redeemed. Is there a way to check in game that I have horizons and the starter pack? When you try and launch the horizons link, is the game supposed to say that horizons isnt connected to your frontier account now?

Elite Dangerous is fine on Steam now. Originally it was a mess, now the launcher is the same as the Frontier launcher and the 2 entries are now consolidated to one. When you launch the Elite: Dangerous entry, you will see in the launcher Horizons if your account has access to it. Unfortunately, they didn't have it like this when Horizons was initially launched so when they finally got everything in a more logical configuration, it caused a whole lot of confusion.

Onemic

Elite Dangerous is fine on Steam now. Originally it was a mess, now the launcher is the same as the Frontier launcher and the 2 entries are now consolidated to one. When you launch the Elite: Dangerous entry, you will see in the launcher Horizons if your account has access to it. Unfortunately, they didn't have it like this when Horizons was initially launched so when they finally got everything in a more logical configuration, it caused a whole lot of confusion.

Thanks, I guess I have Horizons then

derFeef

So if I buy a new ship, is that outfitted already, or "blank" ? Can I transfer my old ship's modules to the new one? This is so confusing, haha. I don't want to become bankrupt.

edit: yeah it's fine on steam, no problems with that. Works liek every other game on there where you get a launcher.

Menthuss

So if I buy a new ship, is that outfitted already, or "blank" ? Can I transfer my old ship's modules to the new one? This is so confusing, haha. I don't want to become bankrupt.

edit: yeah it's fine on steam, no problems with that. Works liek every other game on there where you get a launcher.

AFAIK new ships always come with the lowest possible quality modules installed. As for weapons, they come equipped with 2 small pulse lasers by default.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Unless something has changed you want to sell your modules before you sell your ship, including swapping out the required modules with crappy versions, e.g. power plant, power distributor. That gets you 100% value for your modules and also places them in the 'buyback' so you can get them back on your next ship if appropriate.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Redeeming on Steam was the biggest mistake ever. Don't do that.

Nah, it works just fine on Steam, although I usually launch the game directly from the directory instead of going through Steam.

Onemic

Has anyone used VR with this game and if so were you using an AMD card? The minimum(recommended?) specs for VR dont include an AMD equivalent for the GPU

Person

found this cool-ass ringed planet

AKfVnWJ.jpg

Onemic

HOTAS stick as well as the parts for my new rig came in today, I'm hyped.

I heard planetary landing and exploration is currently limited to airless worlds only. What happens if you try to land on a non airless planet?

Reckheim

HOTAS stick as well as the parts for my new rig came in today, I'm hyped.

I heard planetary landing and exploration is currently limited to airless worlds only. What happens if you try to land on a non airless planet?

It will emergency drop you out of super cruise and your ship will take slight damage. You can get pretty close to planets that have an atmosphere.

I believe frontier mentioned that they will let you land on planets with volcanic activity this season which would be awesome (i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it was coming this season).

Hylian7

Send support ticket to Saitek that clearly describes what is a hardware issue and not a software issue.

Over a week later get 2-3 paragraph essay back telling me how to reinstall all my drivers.

Saitek was a mistake, nothing but trash.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New Dev update.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=76baaecdee

Bookmarking is coming, awesome addition. Way overdue.

It may sound silly, but bookmarking is one of my most anticipated features of season 2. And I mean ALL of season 2. :)

I believe frontier mentioned that they will let you land on planets with volcanic activity this season which would be awesome (i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it was coming this season).

Yeah, volcanic landings are supposed to come in S2, but we've not heard anything about it for months now, so no idea if it still is or not.

Onemic

It will emergency drop you out of super cruise and your ship will take slight damage. You can get pretty close to planets that have an atmosphere.

Ah, what will happen if you try to just drop in outside of SC? You'll just never reach it?

Person

It may sound silly, but bookmarking is one of my most anticipated features of season 2. And I mean ALL of season 2. :)

Yeah, volcanic landings are supposed to come in S2, but we've not heard anything about it for months now, so no idea if it still is or not.

well they're usually pretty honest

maybe as a sub-update like this as part of the bigger updates or maybe it's what 2.4 is

DrBo42

Ah, what will happen if you try to just drop in outside of SC? You'll just never reach it?
Travel to any body or station etc cannot be completed in normal flight. The game requires an instance change to load all destinations and normal flight doesn't trigger it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Has anyone managed to get the game to recognize an Xbox One controller on Windows 10?

Doesn't seem to be able to detect mine at all.

Edit:
I got it working by unplugging my controller and plugging it back in while the game was running.

i-am-disappoint-o.gif

frontieruk

Has anyone used VR with this game and if so were you using an AMD card? The minimum(recommended?) specs for VR dont include an AMD equivalent for the GPU
I believe they quote a 980 as the NV minimum? There are people using 970s in Frontiers forums.

but you're probably looking at a minimum of a R9 290x though the newer 390/x has a few more tricks up its sleave.

If you're looking at getting a new card, wait for AMD Polaris cards later this year, they are aiming to bring VR performance to a consumer price price point.

Hope this helps

Onemic

I believe they quote a 980 as the NV minimum? There are people using 970s in Frontiers forums.

but you're probably looking at a minimum of a R9 290x though the newer 390/x has a few more tricks up its sleave.

If you're looking at getting a new card, wait for AMD Polaris cards later this year, they are aiming to bring VR performance to a consumer price price point.

Hope this helps

I would wait, but my Vive is shipping in May and I have an R9 270 which isnt even close to the minimum requirements for VR in general. Unless Polaris ships before then. I know the mobile cards are coming out in April.

Person

Hope this helps

Isn't Pascal coming this year too? Not saying anyone should get any card over the other, just wondering.

I currently have a 970 which can do 72-ish, but 90Hz is what the refresh rate for the headsets are, and 970 probably can't keep that up if it hits there are all, so the 980 is probably more consistent and can handle it. That said, I run a 21:9 ultrawide and I use supersampling with 72 FoV set in config files.

Wreav

Banned
It's already been said by FD that a 970 won't cut it for VR for ED. I'd wait for the new nVidia to drop the price of the 980 down into the 300s and then jump (what i'm doing)

Person

It's already been said by FD that a 970 won't cut it for VR for ED. I'd wait for the new nVidia to drop the price of the 980 down into the 300s and then jump (what i'm doing)

The 1080 (or whatever they're calling it) should be out soon though anyway, they usually release that first along with their flagship titans

Hylian7

At this rate, I'm probably waiting a few years/until I build a new PC to get into VR. My current PC is not enough, and the prices are outrageous right now.

derFeef

Oh it's an Eagle. I guess from a preorder bonus, lol I never knew. Should I hop into it? Can it hold the srv? I only have the Horizon Sidewinder right know.

DrBo42

Oh it's an Eagle. I guess from a preorder bonus, lol I never knew. Should I hop into it? Can it hold the srv? I only have the Horizon Sidewinder right know.

Yeah, it's an upgrade from sidewinder. Everything can hold an SRV right now. You'll probably have to outfit with a planetary hangar though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 1080 (or whatever they're calling it) should be out soon though anyway, they usually release that first along with their flagship titans

If the process node still needs time to mature they might release a tesla style super expensive Titan card aimed at compute to test the waters, along with lower end cards. Also talk of HBM2 being slow out of the gate.

Not sure you'll get an affordable 1080 anytime soon.

frontieruk

Isn't Pascal coming this year too? Not saying anyone should get any card over the other, just wondering.

I currently have a 970 which can do 72-ish, but 90Hz is what the refresh rate for the headsets are, and 970 probably can't keep that up if it hits there are all, so the 980 is probably more consistent and can handle it. That said, I run a 21:9 ultrawide and I use supersampling with 72 FoV set in config files.

Pascal should come this year but probably a soft launch due to access to HBM so expect higher prices, but as the OP was asking about AMD was why I mentioned Polaris not because of some fanboy shit if that's what you were implying.

Hylian7

Yeah, it's an upgrade from sidewinder. Everything can hold an SRV right now. You'll probably have to outfit with a planetary hangar though.

Yeah, you do have to get a hangar, but I think they come as small as Class 2 and what class it is makes literally no difference.

Person

Pascal should come this year but probably a soft launch due to access to HBM so expect higher prices, but as the OP was asking about AMD was why I mentioned Polaris not because of some fanboy shit if that's what you were implying.

DW, I just never knew Polaris was aiming for VR especially, it's a shame AMD don't get any points for being the "good guy"

Person

If the process node still needs time to mature they might release a tesla style super expensive Titan card aimed at compute to test the waters, along with lower end cards. Also talk of HBM2 being slow out of the gate.

Not sure you'll get an affordable 1080 anytime soon.

if it's around the same price range as the 980s were when they were new, it won't be too bad

Burny

Bookmarks are great! But I'm admittedly a bit weary based on what they've shown:

We don't know how many bookmarks each player can create and I don't see any way to filter and sort the bookmarks. Either the list of bookmarks is very limited, so the list does not become unusable (making the bookmarks nearly useless for explorers in the process) or such features are very much necessary.

I hope they will be included. In 2.1, not just some update down the road leaving explorers with a half finished feature of severely limited usefulness.

Top Bottom