• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

emptyroom

Neo Member
Okay, ordered the CH combat stick. Should arrive Friday. Guess I'll start planning the control mapping. Definitely still plan to grab the throttle (and pedals?) in the near future.

Burny

you don't need pedals. map yaw to the grey thumb buttons.

Mapping one of the two most important control axis for aiming to digital buttons is... pretty close to unreasonable. ;)

If somebody really wants to use a HOTAS without twist axis and without pedals, I'd say mapping yaw to the stick's x-axis should be considered.

Mapping one of the two most important control axis for aiming to digital buttons is... pretty close to unreasonable. ;)
As one who ran it just like that for 6 months without any issue at all....

No, it isn't and I'd appreciate it if you didn't suggest otherwise because it's simply bad advice. Is it optimal? No, it's not optimal. Unreasonable? Take that shit elsewhere. With respect. What's unreasonable is suggesting a man *has to* spend another $100. That's unreasonable.

emptyroom

Neo Member
I really do appreciate the help. I do like dreams-visions advice and will try it out. Luckily these choices aren't permanent ;) I'm sure I'll try a few things till something works for me.

Burny

As one who ran it just like that for 6 months without any issue at all....

No, it isn't and I'd appreciate it if you didn't suggest otherwise because it's simply bad advice. Is it optimal? No, it's not optimal. Unreasonable? Take that shit elsewhere. With respect. What's unreasonable is suggesting a man *has to* spend another $100. That's unreasonable.

Just 100$?! Damn, and here I wanted to suggest spending 300$ just on the pedals! :p

No, what I'm saying is that using the HAT buttons for yaw on a joystick is like using the arrow keys for steering in a racing game, when there's a steering wheel sitting right next to you. It's roll which is better left on the HAT buttons in such a configuration, being the input that requires least precision.

I'm sure you can play the game with digital buttons for yaw perfectly fine. After all, even the fixed weapons have a slight auto aim, so analogue control is not mandatory for hitting things. But using an analogue axis instead of having to tap a digital button constantly to follow a target seems like a very much perferrable option to me. As we're talkig about a joystick, such an axis happens to be available. ;) And it ought to make the difference between being able to follow a target's trajectory smoothly or trying to approach it's trajectory using a staircase pattern.

Person

Just 100$?! Damn, and here I wanted to suggest spending 300$ just on the pedals! :p

No, what I'm saying is that using the HAT buttons for yaw on a joystick is like using the arrow keys for steering in a racing game, when there's a steering wheel sitting right next to you. It's roll which is better left on the HAT buttons in such a configuration, being the input that requires least precision.

I'm sure you can play the game with digital buttons for yaw perfectly fine. After all, even the fixed weapons have a slight auto aim, so analogue control is not mandatory for hitting things. But using an analogue axis instead of having to tap a digital button constantly to follow a target seems like a very much perferrable option to me. As we're talkig about a joystick, such an axis happens to be available. ;) And it ought to make the difference between being able to follow a target's trajectory smoothly or trying to approach it's trajectory using a staircase pattern.

well technically they're binary switches, but I know what you mean, it's either 0% or 100%, axis controls are also digital despite the name, they just have in-between values for fine, variable control

Person

Doesn't seem to have any discounts active, guess I'm going to continue towards Elite rank.

I just go to Diaguandri for all my ships and outfitting, literally everything there is 15% off.

If I can't find it there, I'd just head to EDDB and search for ships/modules in nearby YLR exploit/control systems, which should have discounts too. My Corv was only 150-60 mil, and outfitted full price on coriolis.io is over 320m, but comes out to about 270-ish all discounts considered. If you get everything there, total insurance is also 15% off everything, vs a ship costing full price for the same outfit, it's a bit of of work to find 1 or 2 modules sometimes, but it's a better deal than Shinra can get you. Shinra doors have the vendor of having everything, but it's whether you want to bother with that extra 5% off. Most things should be at Diaguandri anyway, I'm planning to get a Cutter in LYR space for 160-70m when I have the ranks, the discounts there really add up

Person

I have pondered that dilemma but couldn't bring myself go saitek. Will be fine with keyboard for yaw control for now. Guess pedals is a must for me.

I don't now if it's just me being used to it, but the weak yaw of the ships makes it very useful for fine-aiming, especially with fixed weapons. I'd have the yaw on-hand somewhere on the stick at least, as I assume you'll be using it a lot of you don't already

Burny

well technically they're binary switches, but I know what you mean, it's either 0% or 100%, axis controls are also digital despite the name, they just have in-between values for fine, variable control

You're right, what the PC processes are all digital values. And it makes quiet a lot of difference if you've got two values modeling 0% and 100% on the yaw axis or some 256+ sub steps.

Pomerlaw

6215x9165.jpg

Running EDFX.

Credits : Fyrd Judge.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just go to Diaguandri for all my ships and outfitting, literally everything there is 15% off.

Heh, small galaxy, I do most of my outfitting at Diaguandri too. When you get into the real expensive modules that 15% off can save you millions of credits.

Reckheim

oo, naming things might be comming to the game.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=235126

The development team are now hard at work on “The Engineers” - the next major expansion in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, so as we did in previous releases we’re taking a break from Michael’s regular weekly dev updates.

Instead, over the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail on Horizons 2.1 The Engineers in the newsletter sent to you every Friday, and we’ll also be reviving our sneak peeks.

This week we want to share with you something we’ve been thinking about for some time, in response to the many requests we’ve had since the Kickstarter.

Naming NPCs, renaming planets and even having a named surface marker to commemorate a special person, thing or event, are all things you’ve been asking for. We are considering adding these items and more to the Frontier Store, including star system naming and creation and naming of new surface starports. We would love to know your opinion on this, and gauge interest.

In order to keep these items special we would limit the availability of each, and if it works well, we would have a batch in each future expansion too.

Also they are finally gonna ramp up on getting us more info and sneak peaks on 2.1

SmartBase

If I can't find it there, I'd just head to EDDB and search for ships/modules in nearby YLR exploit/control systems, which should have discounts too. My Corv was only 150-60 mil, and outfitted full price on coriolis.io is over 320m, but comes out to about 270-ish all discounts considered. If you get everything there, total insurance is also 15% off everything, vs a ship costing full price for the same outfit, it's a bit of of work to find 1 or 2 modules sometimes, but it's a better deal than Shinra can get you. Shinra doors have the vendor of having everything, but it's whether you want to bother with that extra 5% off. Most things should be at Diaguandri anyway, I'm planning to get a Cutter in LYR space for 160-70m when I have the ranks, the discounts there really add up

That's where I normally go but it's far too time consuming when you can't find that one specific module or ship.

DrBo42

Praise god, the Sneak Peeks are coming back. I have a reason to read the newsletter now.

Truth.

Locking the majority of naming things to the store really seems like the wrong way to go. Seems to me they should be a reward for exploring and making complete scans (with a more elaborate process). It'll be nice revenue for them though.

Truth.

Locking the majority of naming things to the store really seems like the wrong way to go. Seems to me they should be a reward for exploring and making complete scans (with a more elaborate process). It'll be nice revenue for them though.

Yeah, little stuff like this makes me think they still don't quite know what they're doing, in terms of in-game immersion and rewards.

Newsletter is out.

982b40dc23bde11349ad01005b4d7249.jpg

Meet an Engineer, Todd 'The Blaster' McQuinn - we’ll be telling you more about your interactions with Todd, and the other intriguing characters who make up the Engineers in next week’s newsletter

Next week's newsletter it is, then. Todd looks to have a bionic eye!

All paint jobs are 40% off until Monday, and some new ones:

As well as our sale this week, we also have some brand new paint jobs in the store. The Military, Tactical, Vibrant packs for the Imperial Courier and the Turbulence pack for the Type 6 have just been made available, and earlier in the week we made the Military, Tactical, Vibrant and Camo packs available for the Anaconda.

Reckheim

Newsletter is out.

Next week's newsletter it is, then. Todd looks to have a bionic eye!

All paint jobs are 40% off until Monday, and some new ones:

Looks kool I guess, a bit underwhelming for a concept art. I wonder if they will implement these interaction with the upcoming space legs update in mind. I.e whether it will be a 3d rendering in a 3d space or if its just going to be a picture like the above with some dialog below it.

Person

Me and my faithful Conda, the FSS Chanaan II is out on on it's maiden voyage (just fit it for Exploration instead of trading), and we discovered an awesome canyon along with the new camo paint :)

It's just a random rocky I decided to land on, but damn it was worth it

ctiZgN9.jpg

mgbgA4k.jpg

NDiENeg.jpg

hZlu2Bf.jpg

UHEO2we.jpg

Burny

I'm trying to figure out of this is the ingame model. Seeing as the cloth textures seem to be a little stretched and not as sharp, it might actually be. In that case I'd say the human models look rather good.

If he's the 'weapons guy', the bald space marine type might be fitting. But I'm hoping for less of that in the other characters of course. ;)

Mining, found a 54% panite asteroid, no other minerals to deal with, start shooting it with my mining laser and hard crash. I've been getting crashes in metallic rings since horizons, this one was particularly annoying.

emptyroom

Neo Member
We'll I got my ch combat stick, and it's a game changer. I love how it feels, the buttons and hats seem really tough and high quality.

It's made the game so much more enjoyable to play. I did map the yaw to one of the thumb buttons, it works alright.I also added yaw into roll on initial roll setting which I don't know if I like yet.

I can actually perform well in arena!!

DrBo42

Mining, found a 54% panite asteroid, no other minerals to deal with, start shooting it with my mining laser and hard crash. I've been getting crashes in metallic rings since horizons, this one was particularly annoying.

I thought they fixed the chunk crashes. That really sucks.

Hylian7

Ugh, I put in a support ticket with Saitek mid-last week. Still no response on it. If I don't see anything tomorrow I'm just going to call them. This is ridiculous.

Ugh, I put in a support ticket with Saitek mid-last week. Still no response on it. If I don't see anything tomorrow I'm just going to call them. This is ridiculous.

Hmmm... That sucks. I've actually had decent luck with their support both times I needed them. First they have you jump through a bunch of hoops with the drivers and USB settings but once I tried their steps and the issue continued, they approved an RMA right away both times. Then I got my replacement within a week of it arriving at their facility, though you are responsible for the shipping charge to them. I live on the east coast of the US, their facility is out west. It cost me about $20 for ground UPS each time.

Size comparison video shows how good Elite ships look. I really dig the designs.

Same--I actually really love most of the ship designs in Elite. They feel "real" and not overdesigned.

I actually really don't like most ship designs/art from Star Citizen :( I wish I did, I'd probably play more at this point, since that's what the game is all about (right now).

What are new features that are likely to come next? I'm out of the loop.

Engineers/2.1 update brings:

-Overhauled (and hopefully DEEPER) mission system
-Crafting system via Engineers
-First persistent NPC/AI--unsure what the extent of this is, but Engineers may be the first iteration; like factions, you can form relationships/standing with NPCs

Not sure what else

LowerLevel

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
The video was cool and all, but I still don't like the ship designs... I like the Diamonback... the Imperial ships... and really that's about it. Python/Anaconda/Corvette are especially boring. Then again I do like a lot of what I see from Star Citizen. I get that Elite is going for a more realistic feel but even so, I prefer the look of a real space shuttle to say the Adder, which just kind of looks like the shuttle's fat cousin.

Hylian7

I called Saitek/MadCatz. They said I had to submit a ticket, and I told them that I did that last week and I haven't heard anything and it should take 5 business days.

If I don't hear anything by Thursday I'm calling again, and that's giving them more than 5 business days.

When I get a job, the first thing I'm buying is a new stick, and probably CH brand.

la_briola

Engineers/2.1 update brings:

-Overhauled (and hopefully DEEPER) mission system
-Crafting system via Engineers
-First persistent NPC/AI--unsure what the extent of this is, but Engineers may be the first iteration; like factions, you can form relationships/standing with NPCs

Not sure what else

Thanks, looking forward to the new mission system.

The video was cool and all, but I still don't like the ship designs... I like the Diamonback... the Imperial ships... and really that's about it. Python/Anaconda/Corvette are especially boring. Then again I do like a lot of what I see from Star Citizen. I get that Elite is going for a more realistic feel but even so, I prefer the look of a real space shuttle to say the Adder, which just kind of looks like the shuttle's fat cousin.

Haha, yeah, I'm the complete opposite. Something about the SC designs makes them feel like GI Joe vehicles. Don't get me wrong, there are a few I think are absolutely gorgeous, but I prefer ED's "ugly but functional" approach.

It's kinda like the Original Trilogy vs Prequel Trilogy for me.

Top Bottom