• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

I hope they will be included. In 2.1, not just some update down the road leaving explorers with a half finished feature of severely limited usefulness.

I tried so hard not to compare that to everything in Elite but ultimately since I posted this, I've failed.

derFeef

Happy with the Eagle! I am making more money with random bounty hunting than actual missions though :( Also have not gotten to do a surface mission yet.

Burny

Happy with the Eagle! I am making more money with random bounty hunting than actual missions though :( Also have not gotten to do a surface mission yet.

There is one type of mission that makes more money than bounty hunting: long range smuggling. But you're looking at a 10+ Mio. ship to do it effectively. And countless random interdictions, each potentially screwing your profit over entirely.

General mission payouts compared to the usual grindy credit generating activities (with the exception of exploration) are nealy negligible. Combine that with broken mission templates, missions having little to no sensible context, often being decidedly poorly designed courier jobs or being based around randomly generated spawns and missions are really not a very compelling way to play the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The Eagle is my favorite ship in the game to fly. I love how nimble and fast it is plus it has great visibility from the cockpit. When I bounty hunt I normally take my Vulture out but sometimes when I just feel like killing little ships I'll fly my Eagle for the fun of it. If I could outfit an Eagle to be a great exploration ship I'd fly it in a second.

calder

I got that email a few days ago saying I was gifted a Viper MK IV and fired up the game for the first time in months to go get it.

Went to whatever system it was in (it wasn't far from where I had stopped playing) and saw it in the hanger. Now I have to decide if I should keep it or sell it to buy something else. I'm flat broke so even if I sell the kinda mediocre ship I have I'm not sure how well I'll be able to kit out the Viper.

Just breaking out my flight stick and doing that quick run made me get the itch to play a bit more though... once I figured out how to raise landing gear and retract hardpoints etc. :p

derFeef

There is one type of mission that makes more money than bounty hunting: long range smuggling. But you're looking at a 10+ Mio. ship to do it effectively. And countless random interdictions, each potentially screwing your profit over entirely.

General mission payouts compared to the usual grindy credit generating activities (with the exception of exploration) are nealy negligible. Combine that with broken mission templates, missions having little to no sensible context, often being decidedly poorly designed courier jobs or being based around randomly generated spawns and missions are really not a very compelling way to play the game.

Yeah it's pretty sad to realize that. I just want to fire up the game every free minute I have, but what shall I do? I think I might set my persona target to get a Diamondback Explorer. I love the design, a true space truck. So.. bounty hunting...

I landed on a unexplored planet once and drive up to the station/outpost there. I did the thing where you need to activate three thigns (sorry, the specifics are escaping me right now). I now have 57.000cr to collect but from a faction that's currently very far away, so I guess I will make my way up to those systems. When do planets lose their "unexplored" tag?

Pomerlaw

Missions are broken / bad. Anyone will agree, even Frontier, that's why they will get an update in 2.1... But why do you need so much money? Bigger ships aren't more "fun".

If you are a casual, you can play community goals, it brings a nice bonus and are not that long and hard to do.

From CMDR Insomnia :

24833181656_18088fe7cf_o.png

Burny

Missions are broken / bad. Anyone will agree, even Frontier, that's why they will get an update in 2.1... But why do you need so much money? Bigger ships aren't more "fun".

For startes: you would likely not care as much if missions were compelling, offered a reasonable path of progression and could ideally be accepted by wings, scaling according to the wing size.

But there's a point to be made for a boring ass mission that took you half an hour of cruising through three different systems from start to finish being like a healthy kick in the privates, if it only pays a small fraction of any other grindy game mechanic in that time. Even more so if the other mechanics don't have you aimlessly looking for a randomly generated spot.

frontieruk

DW, I just never knew Polaris was aiming for VR especially, it's a shame AMD don't get any points for being the "good guy"

AMD on VR

Now I would like to address a different challenge for us – and that is what is called a Total Available Market. One of the issues we have is the minimum spec for the PCs which will run the Occulus and the HTC headset ant 90 fps and 2k resolution. Now to do that you need either a Radeon 290x or the GTX 970 both of which retail for $349. The challenge that we have is if you look at the total numbers of these GPUs that have been sold, according to JPR, that’s an install base of just 7.5 Million units. Now that’s an issue because it means you can only sell 7.5 Million of anything – because that’s the number that can run those headsets. I am very pleased to tell you that we have invented something called Polaris which we think will address this problem.

AMD has just completed the shrink to 14 nanometer [with Polaris Architecture]. What this means is, and this is where it comes home to everyone in this room, is that we can produce GPUs that will run the minimum spec of VR at a lower cost, in larger volume, consuming less power and running faster. That means in the second half of this year and going forward more people will be able to run those headsets which will make a larger for everybody in the room (VR Industry)

Their work on liquidVR is really impressive.

Hylian7

Saitek is finally going to replace my flight stick. However for the next week or two I have to learn to play Elite with keyboard and mouse or a controller. Any tips on KB/M?

derFeef

Saitek is finally going to replace my flight stick. However for the next week or two I have to learn to play Elite with keyboard and mouse or a controller. Any tips on KB/M?

I am relatively new to this but I basically set it up like this guy. Works fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dD7LbDOaDU

Someone was posting this before. I modified it a little bit with custom throttle controls and a mouse switch for roll.

Burny

I am relatively new to this but I basically set it up like this guy. Works fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dD7LbDOaDU

Someone was posting this before. I modified it a little bit with custom throttle controls and a mouse switch for roll.
What's not visible here as far as I can see is the power distribution. The youtube guy has them on "WASD" with modifiers iirc. I'd recommend placing them on 1-4, as to be always available. The panels could still be on the number keys, but with modifiers instead. But I'm thinking with combat priorities here (my panels are on the F1-4 keys).

derFeef

What's not visible here as far as I can see is the power distribution. The youtube guy has them on "WASD" with modifiers iirc. I'd recommend placing them on 1-4, as to be always available. The panels could still be on the number keys, but with modifiers instead. But I'm thinking with combat priorities here (my panels are on the F1-4 keys).

Yeah I still have them on the cursor keys, the WASD modifiers were confusing.

frontieruk

I don't know what half this mumbo jumbo means but if it means VR is at least more accessible on the GPU side of things, I'm all for it

Means they are working hard to lower the cost of entry, I'm sure NV have plans too but AMD are talking actively about their plans.

Hylian7

I just gave KB&M a try. No thanks, fuuuuuck that. I'll use an Xbox or Steam controller combined with keyboard.

Also Saitek won't even pay shipping for their warranty process. I had to pay $40. Christ.

Onemic

One non gameplay change I do hope they implement is proper scaling of planets/suns in SC. There are times(usually for airless planets and stars) where the planet/sun doesnt really look that big relative to my ship. This is almost always the case with a star, and often the case with airless planets.

Jedi2016

One non gameplay change I do hope they implement is proper scaling of planets/suns in SC. There are times(usually for airless planets and stars) where the planet/sun doesnt really look that big relative to my ship. This is almost always the case with a star, and often the case with airless planets.
Well.. it's all built to scale, so how exactly would you suggest "fixing" it?

Scale's not the problem, it's the speed you're moving. Whizzing by Earth at several times the speed of light, and yeah, it's gonna go by fast, and at a huge distance. Short of making planetary approaches take hours, there's not much they can do.

Onemic

Well.. it's all built to scale, so how exactly would you suggest "fixing" it?

Scale's not the problem, it's the speed you're moving. Whizzing by Earth at several times the speed of light, and yeah, it's gonna go by fast, and at a huge distance. Short of making planetary approaches take hours, there's not much they can do.

I was thinking that might be it but wasnt too sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Person

I was thinking that might be it but wasnt too sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, you're travelling at several times the speed of light or several hundreds of kilometres per hour, try travelling across a planet in normal cruise and see how long it takes you to fly to a mountain you see in the distance, especially that 28km deep crater in Junga - It'll take you a long while to get to the bottom.

Burny

I just gave KB&M a try. No thanks, fuuuuuck that. I'll use an Xbox or Steam controller combined with keyboard.

Was my first reaction as well. Now I can play with M+K as well as with a HOTAS.

Did you remap the yaw to the mouse x-axis? I know that some people get along with roll on mouse-x, but that was my initial barrier of entry for M+K. Which vanished after remapping yaw and roll.

Hylian7

Was my first reaction as well. Now I can play with M+K as well as with a HOTAS.

Did you remap the yaw to the mouse x-axis? I know that some people get along with roll on mouse-x, but that was my initial barrier of entry for M+K. Which vanished after remapping yaw and roll.

I gave up and use the Steam controller, much better.

Hylian7

But why? I tried the Steam Controller as well but it did not feel really good (Xbox Controller as well).
Felt fine to me. I had to find a control setting I liked, but once I found it, it's been great. It will work for the brief time I will be without a HOTAS.

Burny

I gave up and use the Steam controller, much better.

Not that this is not a valid option, but I'd like to know what exactly it was that made you give up or realize that mouse+keyboard isn't for you. I had that exact same "nope" reaction when trying the game that way at first and for me it was switching the roll/yaw mapping that made it finally click.

The default M+K configuration offered by Elite is really poor imo and should be replaced. Not least to avoid such reactions and the resulting frustration. As well as building all to much familiarity with the key mapping options, which will finally receive collapsible sections with 2.1 iirc (1.5 years after release... >.< ).

Hylian7

Not that this is not a valid option, but I'd like to know what exactly it was that made you give up or realize that mouse+keyboard isn't for you. I had that exact same "nope" reaction when trying the game that way at first and for me it was switching the roll/yaw mapping that made it finally click.

The default M+K configuration offered by Elite is really poor imo and should be replaced. Not least to avoid such reactions and the resulting frustration. As well as building all to much familiarity with the key mapping options, which will finally receive collapsible sections with 2.1 iirc (1.5 years after release... >.< ).

I've always hated controlling analog things like that with a mouse. In games like Arma 3, I hate controlling the helicopters with the mouse, and would rather use WASD. It's just a personal preference of mine.

So glad they'll have official Rift support. But it's a whole separate version of the game? That seems weird.

[EDIT]

Is this only for Horizons owners?
All current Elite Dangerous: Horizons owners can download the Oculus version for free! This special version includes the base game, along with the full season of Elite Dangerous: Horizons bonus content.

[EDIT 2]
Horizons is not required.

Hylian7

FDL buff was a bad idea

He has a point. I can sort of see why it was done, mainly to give FDLs more options. The SCB nerf in particular would have crippled them without any other kind of buff to make up for it. However what it got was overkill. The heat alone is a huge issue, because you can do Silent Running and barely have to pop heat sinks. I mean, I mean, I can get a fuel scoop and get close enough where I am scooping at almost 400/s and STILL be at around 60% heat! Now just think of how ridiculous this is in a PvP combat situation. Then it gets even worse when the new Huge Hardpoint weapons come out.

Person

FDL buff was a bad idea

He has a point. I can sort of see why it was done, mainly to give FDLs more options. The SCB nerf in particular would have crippled them without any other kind of buff to make up for it. However what it got was overkill. The heat alone is a huge issue, because you can do Silent Running and barely have to pop heat sinks. I mean, I mean, I can get a fuel scoop and get close enough where I am scooping at almost 400/s and STILL be at around 60% heat! Now just think of how ridiculous this is in a PvP combat situation. Then it gets even worse when the new Huge Hardpoint weapons come out.

effectively gives you no reason to get the python for PvE unless you want to trade too, but then again the python is multipurpose so there's that

Hylian7

effectively gives you no reason to get the python for PvE unless you want to trade too, but then again the python is multipurpose so there's that
Yeah, but for the most part it makes combat options extremely slim. You can bring a Federal Corvette with 2 Huge Plasma Accelerators, but if you can't pitch the thing to aim, what's the point? FDL will completely out maneuver it.

We just need more ships that are viable in fitting the role the FDL does right now.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, but for the most part it makes combat options extremely slim. You can bring a Federal Corvette with 2 Huge Plasma Accelerators, but if you can't pitch the thing to aim, what's the point? FDL will completely out maneuver it.

We just need more ships that are viable in fitting the role the FDL does right now.

Game should be balanced around the upgrades, so that they can provide overlapping combat profiles across various ships.

I mean....

After careful consideration, yea should FDev nerf the FdL and FAS. If they do that, the Vulture, Python, Courier, Clipper and Gunship all become relevant again. Hell you might even see a few Cobras. And the Cutter/Corvette/Conda can't be forced out of a PvP fight in 20 seconds like they can be now, because there won't be a high volume of ships firing QUAD Rails.

Yea, suddenly most of the combat-capable ships become viable options.

I say revert the power plant changes. FdL's were strong when all they had was multicannons + C4 PA. Keep the pitch rate upgrade. Give the FAS a similar power plant nerf and/or an armor nerf. I'd also suggest nerfing the pitch rates of the Corvette and Conda to be closer to the Cutter (but still faster) . Right now they're about 50% faster in pitch than the Cutter. Make them only 25% faster. Make those big ships more reliant on turrets and gimbals. No reason for the biggest ships in the game to be able to turn damn near as fast as fighters. balanceblancebalance.

Believe it or not I rewrote this entire post, dumping 2 paragraphs because I originally wrote against nerfing...then I realized I was wrong.

Top Bottom