• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Pomerlaw

Those rocks look good.

980cc0c21c1c434c88afdf5cc6e201d5ee669a8f.jpg

SmartBase

I think it might be a little short-sighted to think this is only a PvP addition. Like I said, having NPC ships in support/healer roles could make combat more interesting...but I get the gist of what you're saying.

If anything, this gives me hope that they are bolstering the breadth/depth of existing combat and other systems. Combat is easily the best part of ED (IMO) but it can still be improved.

Yup. People complain about the lack of content in ED but that really isn't the case--it's depth and meaning that we need for existing content that would go further than adding "new bases to raid" or even new vehicles to use.

That was just me mostly whining for the sake of whining, now that we have yet another combat focused newsletter (is there any other kind?) I can move on to that.

I admit I like the changes to the outfitting menus, looks like we finally have some real numbers to work with.

Jedi2016

Outfitting definitely needs an overhaul, so I'm glad to see that. Even if you're not big on PvP (like me), you can't deny that combat in general is a huge part of the game, and it's always going to be something that they work on. When I'm in the bubble, combat is pretty much how I make my money. And more customization is always a good thing, even for single player.

Don't get me wrong, though... I'm an explorer at heart. Right now I'm about 30,000ly away from home. Changes that affect me way out here would be welcome, too, and I don't think Engineers is really going to do that (although I did hear ObsidianAnt talking about lighting changes in one of his recent videos, so there might be a visual change way out here).

Hylian7

Outfitting screen overhaul? Yes please!

It was always frustrating to find a module in the list, as the sorting options didn't pull up what you wanted quickly enough. It was particularly annoying when you wanted to get multiple of the same thing. You had to go all the way down the list every time for it.

Now maybe they can let us get and turn in power commodity all in one click. They let you do Commodities market that way! Right now you have to hold right until it gets to 25/50/whatever, hit OK, hit fast track for the next allowance, repeat until cargo hold is full. Turning it in is holding right until you get all of your cargo. Both of these are unnecessarily time consuming processes! Why can't they give an option to just spend the credits until your cargo hold is full?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Right now I'm about 30,000ly away from home. Changes that affect me way out here would be welcome, too, and I don't think Engineers is really going to do that (although I did hear ObsidianAnt talking about lighting changes in one of his recent videos, so there might be a visual change way out here).

I'm about 57,000 lys out from Sol right now. And yeah, 2.1 is bringing lighting improvements, and possibly adding some of the spice back to asteroid fields that they turned off almost a year ago.

DrBo42

Bought the Orion (William Shatner) voice pack last night lol. Tobii EyeX shows up Monday. I'm ready to go when this beta launches. It's still so far away...

DrBo42

Just to burn out on it within a week again. ;)

Such is Elite. I might finally make the trip to Sag A while waiting for it. It's just so fucking boring out there. Lol.

I'm actually going through the "Join the Elite - Everything you need to know about background simulation" video they uploaded after the newsletter.

Some interesting figures from the background sim guy:

Nearly 75,000 factions in the game ATM
Over 20,000 populated star systems
Millions of player actions per hour

Capital ships in Conflict zone is a completely random chance.
Outfitting options is part of the simulation. They don't update often but there apparently is subtle player input for them.

Exploration data adds to boom, influence. Down for bust, famine, outbreak. More on that below:

"After a relatively simple design change it can take months before we get good feedback on what effect that might have. Which is why you might feel we haven't been as responsive as you might have hoped."

New bits:
Retreat being added opposite Expansion for faction states. Designed to address overcrowded galaxy. Ex: Very busy systems with many minor factions with no real progress being made. They will now be able to retreat from the system back to their origin.
Expansion currently works in that in searches a 20ly distance for an inhabited system with other factions. The requirement of existing factions is being removed.
Lockdown penalty on influence gain will be changing. Lockdown will no longer prohibit expansion.
States will have a much larger presence in missions - ex: a faction at war will have missions for said war exclusively.
More system-wide tie-in for states. Elections will have NPCs will propaganda, boom will have more traders, lockdown will have more authority vessels etc.
Civil war influence will be rebalanced. Sounded like influence is general is getting a rebalance.
Conflict zones currently only spawn around planets...that's being fixed for systems that don't have any.
Information visibility on a faction's current state, previous state, state cooldown etc will be addressed.
Automated expansion outside human bubble via Expansion state is NOT coming in the immediate future.
Frequency of Boom state was a bug. It's being fixed.
Rebalancing of states etc will make things easier to predict and more responsive.
More dynamic changes to commodity pricing.
After a successful expansion, the name of the system that was expanded into will be part of local news in previous system.

Hambone

I might finally make the trip to Sag A while waiting for it. It's just so fucking boring out there

I came to post that I just made it to Sag A*, and can confirm how boring it is! I burned through a lot of podcasts over the last few months.

SPACE MADNESS IS REAL

Here's the day I left civilization from Robigo MInes on 2/09:

And here is Sagittarius A* from this morning:

I'll take a couple of weeks off, and than start the long trek home. I'm going to plan my reentry into the bubble with the launch of the space engineers content.

SmartBase

So besides that one specific hint in Galnet, have there been any other bits of information as to where engineers might be located? I'm really hoping there's one in Apam Napat, I keep getting drawn away from it for other things (like Fed. rank grinding) and now the system isn't GAF's any more.

DrBo42

So besides that one specific hint in Galnet, have there been any other bits of information as to where engineers might be located? I'm really hoping there's one in Apam Napat, I keep getting drawn away from it for other things (like Fed. rank grinding) and now the system isn't GAF's any more.

Really? Did we move somewhere else or we just lost controlling influence?

SmartBase

Really? Did we move somewhere else or we just lost controlling influence?

I only had a quick look but I don't think I saw GAF as the controlling faction of any station. I'd go back to change that but I'm still getting the credits to fit out a Corvette.

DrBo42

I only had a quick look but I don't think I saw GAF as the controlling faction of any station. I'd go back to change that but I'm still getting the credits to fit out a Corvette.

Hmm. I might head over there and pick up some missions for us. If we can get a station, getting even one person to turn in their exploration data there after a big trip would be huge.

Hylian7

Apam Napat Empire Assembly is the controlling faction.

If anyone has time to come help, grab some Neo Galactic Adventure Force missions in Apam Napat.

We're in a real bad spot...

I can come back over there this week and do some of those. I'll be looking for combat ones.

Mengy

If anyone has time to come help, grab some Neo Galactic Adventure Force missions in Apam Napat.

Wow, holy shit. When I get back from the DWE I'll have hundreds of millions of exploration data to sell, that should help quite a lot. It won't be until end of summer though.....

SmartBase

Wow, holy shit. When I get back from the DWE I'll have hundreds of millions of exploration data to sell, that should help quite a lot. It won't be until end of summer though.....

I've wondered about this, how do you actually sell your data to a faction? When you sell does it just go to the faction in charge of the station? I guess the same question goes for trading and combat bonds/bounties too.

~Cross~

Im pretty sure any money that comes out of a faction actually weakens it. So turning in bounties and exploration data to a controlling faction makes it weaker. Starting missions for the faction and dropping them also weakens them. Killing npcs from the faction weaken them.

DrBo42

Im pretty sure any money that comes out of a faction actually weakens it. So turning in bounties and exploration data to a controlling faction makes it weaker. Starting missions for the faction and dropping them also weakens them. Killing npcs from the faction weaken them.
The money and influence aspect isn't true afaik. See the notepad image above.

DrBo42

Not sure if there was an actual player group made. It should be a focus when 2.1 comes though.

Hopefully we own a market for you to sell to by that time.

Mengy

I've wondered about this, how do you actually sell your data to a faction? When you sell does it just go to the faction in charge of the station? I guess the same question goes for trading and combat bonds/bounties too.

When you sell exploration data at a station it strengthens the station's controlling faction in that system. I did it for us in Apam Napat before and our faction's influence increased.

cilonen

I didn't even know we had a player faction in game. I'll head over to Apam Napat and grind some missions out. Might take me a little while to get over there in my 'vette!

I didn't know we had a GAF Player Faction. I went over and checked it out and did a few missions but I have some questions. Why did we make a PMF thats empire aligned? Wouldn't it have been better for us to be an independent faction so we didn't put fed aligned GAF pilots at odds with it? Also we seem to be a democratic empire faction inside Patreus space so if we work to flip the system back to our faction Patreus would probably fight it because democratic factions raise their fortification triggers so I don't think we'd be able to flip it back. Seems like our faction is in a bit of a tight spot where it is.

Jedi2016

I'll be back eventually, I might swing over that way. I have a fully-armed and quite combat-capable FDL that will need some action after so long. Do a guy a favor and start a civil war while I'm gone.. lol.

SmartBase

When you sell exploration data at a station it strengthens the station's controlling faction in that system. I did it for us in Apam Napat before and our faction's influence increased.

OK that makes sense out of that previously posted influence chart, time to get to work.

DrBo42

Tobii EyeX arrived tonight. Man, being able to track a target just with your eyes as it flies out of your fixed center view is pretty crazy. Takes a lot to get used to at first. It's definitely neat and adds a significant amount of awareness if you can get your settings right. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

DrBo42

I didn't know we had a GAF Player Faction. I went over and checked it out and did a few missions but I have some questions. Why did we make a PMF thats empire aligned? Wouldn't it have been better for us to be an independent faction so we didn't put fed aligned GAF pilots at odds with it? Also we seem to be a democratic empire faction inside Patreus space so if we work to flip the system back to our faction Patreus would probably fight it because democratic factions raise their fortification triggers so I don't think we'd be able to flip it back. Seems like our faction is in a bit of a tight spot where it is.

I think we can request a switch to Independent. Not sure who sent the initial request to FD.

I'll be back eventually, I might swing over that way. I have a fully-armed and quite combat-capable FDL that will need some action after so long. Do a guy a favor and start a civil war while I'm gone.. lol.

I'll come help.

OK that makes sense out of that previously posted influence chart, time to get to work.

Elite GAF is so helpful.

SmartBase

So besides missions how do I increase our faction's influence? I really don't want to start rerolling the bulletin board, that grind to Rear Admiral was brutal enough.

DrBo42

So besides missions how do I increase our faction's influence? I really don't want to start rerolling the bulletin board, that grind to Rear Admiral was brutal enough.

Since we don't have a station, we're limited to missions. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there. Having a market will enable all the influence gain options in that notepad picture above but until then we're at the mercy of the board.

Burny

Since we don't have a station, we're limited to missions. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there. Having a market will enable all the influence gain options in that notepad picture above but until then we're at the mercy of the board.

What about turning in bounties specifically for NeoGAF? Admittedly, it's probably tiresome to hunt only for bounties of a specified faction.

yea. we'll need to see if any of the factions in the conflict zones are us. if so we can help that way. otherwise yea we'll be limited to bulletin board stuff. of which I personally see very little of our faction offering. I saw just one out of 15 or so missions on the BB.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, going to get back into his when my Vive/Rift arrives.

Have SLI 970s, but given that SLI will be useless here, what kind of fidelity is everyone getting on a 970 in VR?

SmartBase

I thought I could smuggle goods to decrease the Empire Assembly's influence but no station in the system has a black market.

DrBo42

yea. we'll need to see if any of the factions in the conflict zones are us. if so we can help that way. otherwise yea we'll be limited to bulletin board stuff. of which I personally see very little of our faction offering. I saw just one out of 15 or so missions on the BB.

Yeah it's gonna be real slow going for a bit. Maybe the smaller outposts have more, I've only checked Majida. As for Conflict Zones I'm not sure if we'd be in there unless our status was Civil War. Right now we're in Boom.

I thought I could smuggle goods to decrease the Empire Assembly's influence but no station in the system has a black market.

Was a good idea though. There might be something to grabbing a bunch of their missions and failing them. Not sure though. In any case our influence is too low to even take advantage of that if it worked.

Think I'm just going to pick up all our missions I can find regardless of how painful it is.

Mengy

I came across a ringed ammonia world out in the Abyssal Plain a few nights ago, this one is about 56,000 lys from Sol. The bulk of the Milky Way is still quite a ways off.

I haven't seen a commander tag on a system for over 11,000 lys now, not many people come out here I guess!

Top Bottom