• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So it's another good newsletter, but I'm still sad as a baby who just lost it's blanket:

+ mission interface looks great
+ ice mining!!! Holy Hell Yes!!!
+ station comms chatter when flying near them, thats awesome
+ engineer planet bases look fantastic

- more new weapon modules by engineers shown, OF COURSE, still no non-combat oriented engineer stuff shown :(

I'm beginning to think that all 30 engineers really will be combat focused.

DrBo42

As neat as the bulletin board changes are or the addition of a few new detailed planetary bases are, I don't feel they really solve significant problems if any. Sure you have a face to look at with hopefully more logical mission progression but if the missions are still shit, it's not a big win. I don't know, my hope for 2.1 is dwindling fast.

I still don't feel like they have a grasp on a proper feedback/progression loop. If all this rep building with persistent npcs ultimately just leads to me getting more money, what's the point? I think the original Elite model fails for a modern game. Think everyone needs more than an Elite tag and a big ship to feel they've accomplished something. Maybe factions are the way forward but they refuse to add any ownership there for some bizarre reason. Meh.

150f6497f9a79dd21cb9e871f710b12f1325e76b.jpg

d85bbfa282b25de5be56e972945db79078f1f077.jpg

2d2d65e5e8f56badec82d628a1107d8f90e48808.jpg

e941755464aa863b52553d15363cae4d1f2fbeea.jpg

Looking great. Mining in ice belts will make combat a lot more beautiful :D

As neat as the bulletin board changes are or the addition of a few new detailed planetary bases are, I don't feel they really solve significant problems if any. Sure you have a face to look at with hopefully more logical mission progression but if the missions are still shit, it's not a big win. I don't know, my hope for 2.1 is dwindling fast.

I still don't feel like they have a grasp on a proper feedback/progression loop. If all this rep building with persistent npcs ultimately just leads to me getting more money, what's the point? I think the original Elite model fails for a modern game. Think everyone needs more than an Elite tag and a big ship to feel they've accomplished something. Maybe factions are the way forward but they refuse to add any ownership there for some bizarre reason. Meh.

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, but I agree--there need to be better rewards than more money.

Maybe upgraded/crafted modules will be included in the "loot table"? They still insist, even in this newsletter, that crafting won't just be limited to weaponry. Some of these weapons are pretty creative, so I'm hopeful.

DrBo42

Looking great. Mining in ice belts will make combat a lot more beautiful :D

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, but I agree--there need to be better rewards than more money.

Maybe upgraded/crafted modules will be included in the "loot table"? They still insist, even in this newsletter, that crafting won't just be limited to weaponry. Some of these weapons are pretty creative, so I'm hopeful.
I think crafting resource rewards were already confirmed but that's just more grinding really.

Hylian7

I think crafting resource rewards were already confirmed but that's just more grinding really.

There's something strangely satisfying about driving my SRV around on a planet following those blips though. It definitely doesn't feel like a grind to me.

DrBo42

There's something strangely satisfying about driving my SRV around on a planet following those blips though. It definitely doesn't feel like a grind to me.
Well those aren't progression required. These crafting resources (not synthesis resources) most likely are in terms of equipment or pvp relevance. That type of thing absolutely is a grind IMO. Which sadly is the majority of Elite's gameplay systems.

Mengy

Agreed Hylian. I don't really mind grinding as long as it's varied, fun, and interactive. The SRV is a good example of grinding done pretty well in Elite. The mixture of the driving, planet terrain, the skybox, and the scanner "minigame" add up to something I find enjoyable honestly. I wish exploring in supercruise had half of that thought put into it. Combat grinding is also in a great spot IMHO because, lets face it, combat in Elite is more fleshed out than any other part of the game by FAR. Elite does combat pretty good. I should really play the CQC mode more.

Hylian7

So Engineer isn't an update anymore...there is material for an entire expansion!

Nah, it's definitely not the huge leap from "You can't land on planets --> you can land on planets and drive around in an entirely new type of vehicle now!" It's a big an important update, don't get me wrong, but it's also definitely not as big of a deal as Horizons was.

Other expansions will probably be more major stuff. I'm sure some day down the road, landing on earthlike planets will be an expansion.

Person

honestly im not all that excited for the crafting aspect of engineers if it feels like im grinding out the stuff

rare materials...ranks...powerplay alignment

all massive nopes from me

DrBo42

honestly im not all that excited for the crafting aspect of engineers if it feels like im grinding out the stuff

rare materials...ranks...powerplay alignment

all massive nopes from me

^ x1000.

Anything involved with the awful powerplay makes me uninterested. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm imagining. But grinds upon grinds seem to be Frontier's default game design when introducing new systems.

SmartBase

Speaking of grinding, our influence is going down in Apam Napat. No idea why or if there are other players working for the other factions.

Mengy

Speaking of grinding, our influence is going down in Apam Napat. No idea why or if there are other players working for the other factions.

Probably, someone is most likely trying to take the system. After Obsidian Ant showcased it in his video I'll bet more than a few factions thought it would be a nice place to expand to...

SmartBase

It dropped from 7%?

Yesterday it was 7.3 and now it's 7.0, the numbers are from the system map as the right side cockpit menu isn't very accurate.

Would be nice if GAF missions actually showed up. :(

This is what I'm afraid of in that engineers update, that under all of that window dressing we're still going to have to roll the dice just to get the missions we want.

Probably, someone is most likely trying to take the system. After Obsidian Ant showcased it in his video I'll bet more than a few factions thought it would be a nice place to expand to...

I think it's just a generic Fed faction moving in, it's kinda odd.

Burny

Justified concern, and I do think the missions will remain "shit", meaning they'll largely stay the way they are now. But the bulletin board update will "solve" or at least significantly improve quiet a number of issues. For one, the changing faction faces will give context to the player actions, even without elaborate dialogue trees. No to mention the apparently much improved info in the new mission descriptions. Giving players the information what effects completing a mission will have goes a very long way as well.

And it's not just the bulletin board update, but also a number of changes to the mission/game mechanics that should much improve certain issues. Take scanning USS from supercruise for informationn on what to expect within it, mission USS being placed at specific locations and the rank requirement for missions being dropped, but rather the player rank being a parameter for the mission generation (difficulty, complexity, payout?).

Some day... Some day it might dawn on them, that giving players direct influence on aspects of the world and more elaborate ways of interacting than shooting each other (trade, ingame asset "crafting"?), may turn the game into something that feels alive. Because being player driven, it would be. :p

Loving the Engineer's base btw! Might we be seeing some of the improved planet textures in this screenshot already?

The boulder textures are new and break up the uniform rock surface a bit. They seem to be placed where rocks breaking off and tumbling down the hill would collect. Wonder if they'll have actual geometry to back this up when approaching these areas. It would be a very welcome change to planet surfaces in my book.

Moar edit: Also voiced station radio chatter, landing and takeoff guidance and asteroid mining. Good stuff!

Pomerlaw

All you guys obsessed with "grind", tell me what would satisfy you? Could you give me examples of games who doesn't use grind at all? Not including single player or story driven games, but open worlds like Elite?

By the way I have the game since 2014 and never grinded for anything. The flight model and galaxy simulations are their own reward.

Same thing about missions, people expecting a PG galaxy to produce the same kind of missions than a mission driven game where you are the center or the hero are out of their mind. Player owned content may come one day but they have a lot of things to work on before this.

Personnaly I'm really excited about the changes to the small ships.

EDIT / ADD :
bSalCQm.png

Person

^ x1000.

Anything involved with the awful powerplay makes me uninterested. Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm imagining. But grinds upon grinds seem to be Frontier's default game design when introducing new systems.

theyll have to change how powerplay, current missions and ranks to make it fun for me

which they might cause they said something about overhauling the mission system

but im not getting my hopes up

zorbsie

Have a question about mining. Is there a more efficient way of doing it? I'm currently in a Viper. I have my mining laser and a refinery. Collecting each piece manually is really time consuming and the refinery I have only can process one mineral at a time. I have to vent the extra. There has got to be a better way. Any tips for a beginner? I'm on the Xbox One, not sure how much the base game varies between XB1 and PC.

frontieruk

Have a question about mining. Is there a more efficient way of doing it? I'm currently in a Viper. I have my mining laser and a refinery. Collecting each piece manually is really time consuming and the refinery I have only can process one mineral at a time. I have to vent the extra. There has got to be a better way. Any tips for a beginner? I'm on the Xbox One, not sure how much the base game varies between XB1 and PC.

It doesn't, you can get collection drones to make collection easier, but you really need a ship with a bigger cargo hold to be effective with them.

Odrion

Banned
So uh, I guess I'll ask here:

I have this game (haven't played much past the tutorial) and a Vive headset coming in May...

Should I buy a Saitek X52 right now, or should I wait for the Vive and just really make the whole experience weird and cool?

frontieruk

I have this game (haven't played much past the tutorial) and a Vive headset coming in May...

Should I buy a Saitek X52 right now, or should I wait for the Vive and just really make the whole experience weird and cool?

You'll really really need to be familiar with the controls, but the consensus here is the saiteks have quite high failure rates...

zorbsie

Thanks Frontier! I'll take you up on that offer. Got enough to buy a better refinery. Feel like I'm in a dangerous area though. Keep getting pulled out of supercruise. Well, attempted anyway. So what power should I pledge to? Is there one most gaffers are siding with?

frontieruk

Thanks Frontier! I'll take you up on that offer. Got enough to buy a better refinery. Feel like I'm in a dangerous area though. Keep getting pulled out of supercruise. Well, attempted anyway. So what power should I pledge to? Is there one most gaffers are siding with?

Any that offers perks for mining if any, otherwise ignore it it's a grind that doesn't currently add a lot to the game, IMO others here may disagree.

DrBo42

All you guys obsessed with "grind", tell me what would satisfy you? Could you give me examples of games who doesn't use grind at all? Not including single player or story driven games, but open worlds like Elite?

By the way I have the game since 2014 and never grinded for anything. The flight model and galaxy simulations are their own reward.

Same thing about missions, people expecting a PG galaxy to produce the same kind of missions than a mission driven game where you are the center or the hero are out of their mind. Player owned content may come one day but they have a lot of things to work on before this.

Personnaly I'm really excited about the changes to the small ships.

EDIT / ADD :
bSalCQm.png

I think the "you guys want to save the galaxy/princess" argument is pretty reductive and shitty. We don't, we just want to feel like our actions actually mean something. Right now we just get % changes and/or a GalNet message. It completely blows. You can absolutely include quest lines or stories around the galaxy that aren't "kill x, thanks" or "bring us x, thanks" with some impact on the world but they have to sit down and make them.

Burny

Why are you mining in a Viper in the first place? The thing has nearly no cargo space, not to mention space for a better refinery and limpet controllers.

I'd say a Cobra, possibly a Hauler or Adder, is the smallest ship with which mining makes any sense and you already have to go shieldless to be most efective. A T6 is better, but it'll set you back a couple of million credits in a good mining configuration.

The quickest way to earn credits in a Viper is to go bounty hunting. Smuggling might also work well, as the Viper is very fast (avoiding scans!) and you don't need much cargo space for most smuggling missions.

SmartBase

I'm going to give Apam Napat a break. There's nothing more tedious than having to relog just to spawn missions and then doing them to no effect, to influence or otherwise.

I think the "you guys want to save the galaxy/princess" argument is pretty reductive and shitty. We don't, we just want to feel like our actions actually mean something. Right now we just get % changes and/or a GalNet message. It completely blows. You can absolutely include quest lines or stories around the galaxy that aren't "kill x, thanks" or "bring us x, thanks" with some impact on the world but they have to sit down and make them.

That argument gets brought up every single time, it's amusing that wanting a bit of sand in the sandbox somehow equates to wanting to be the centre of the goddamned universe.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

So i just started the game couple weeks ago and Mining is my primary moneymaker with bounty hunting being secondary.

You can go with a Cobra for now , you require a refinery a prospector limpet and collector limpets. I think was running with no shields for a bit.
Get a type 6 transport asap ..you'll have no weapons but its a mining machine.(its kinda exciting to know your 100% dependent on running from pirates)

Heres a great guide with link to builds that work well
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/comments/3yg7pw/notable_mining_shipsloadouts/

heres a really good video guide as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtBA3VM6d8

zorbsie

Thanks for all the tips gang. I'm still really early on in the game. I picked the viper because it was free. Its 18t of cargo space was massive compared to the 2 of the eagle I was flying. As you all know ships aren't cheap. So picking up an upgrade for nothing was a no brainer. I was hoping to use it to gather more money and pick up a larger ship. I want to be a space trucker. Looks like I've got a long way to go. :)

Person

simple, allow the things I normally do for fun to aid in progression

grind in my eyes is when you have to do things you don't want to do to progress, e.g fetch quests. quests are mainly the primary form of progression in most MMOs out there.

Why not provide rewards for what we do already? People who trade, bounty hunt and explore only make money - they''re not given rewards that help them explore better, for example, you might have access to a better FSD after giving an exploration-based faction and having a high-ish rank in exploration - the thing is, you would've already liked doing exploration and you weren't told you would get it, it would have just come to you eventually

It's difficult to make that completely organic as there will be players who will tell you how to get the best parts, but it's better than the system we have now. To rank up in factions, there's a bunch of random stuff you have to do to get there, to get a set reward even if most of the activities were just trading or exploring related.

Burny

I was hoping to use it to gather more money and pick up a larger ship. I want to be a space trucker. Looks like I've got a long way to go. :)

It's a great ship to do that, but only really if you focus on smuggling small quantities or in combat. ;) The flying skill you aquire in combat/bounty hunting with it will get you relatively quickly to a Cobra - allrounder with more cargo space or a T6 a bit further down the line. The latter being the Sprinter of Elite's spaceships. A good start for a life as space trucker! ^^

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Started the game for the first time. Went into training and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do.

Failed and quit the game.

Bruno

You'll really really need to be familiar with the controls, but the consensus here is the saiteks have quite high failure rates...

I own the X52 Pro (which I recommend over the regular X52 just because of the extra spring on the joystick - doesn't feel as loose) and I absolutely love it. I bought it on amazon knowing that if I had any issues or didn't like I would just return it for a full refund but ended up keeping it.

Top Bottom