• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

We kind of tried doing things democratically but it's really hard to get timely answers out of people.

best to try when the beta is about to drop or when a major patch is released. only time when most people will be on. otherwise, it's just going to be a handful of us. Alternatively, just add people on Steam rather than waiting and hoping they see your PM or thread bump here.

Also, I don't care about faction alignment, but it makes sense to make it Independent so that GAFers aren't labeled as Enemy, ever.

SmartBase

I don't mind working for an Empire-aligned democratic GAF faction but an independent one would incentivise me just a bit more.
Not that it matters considering how many planets worth of slaves I've traded.

Reckheim

All rite, i'll find out if we can be changed to independent.

Also I think they will be making changes to the way the whole player owned groups will work in the future (they asked for our logo a while back); hopefully it will be integrated withing in the game in the 2.1 patch.

frontieruk

Also I think they will be making changes to the way the whole player owned groups will work in the future (they asked for our logo a while back); hopefully it will be integrated withing in the game in the 2.1 patch.

Yeah I wonder if the mission givers for our faction will have the logo behind their profile pic

I don't mind working for an Empire-aligned democratic GAF faction but an independent one would incentivise me just a bit more.
Not that it matters considering how many planets worth of slaves I've traded.

As a black guy, I admit to doing some very interesting role playing indeed while shuttling my slaves.

Depending on the day, I'm either Harriet Tubbman driving the Freedom Express for high financial compensation...or I'm enacting just desserts for the ancestors with a trunk full of definitely-not-black passengers.

Either way I feel good about myself.
dac15_cool.gif

BibleThump

good. faction logos really need to be a thing. not only because of the faction but because of easier allegiance (friend or foe) identification. but that gets into real clan stuff that I'm not sure FDev is willing/interested in embracing.

SmartBase

As a black guy, I admit to doing some very interesting role playing indeed while shuttling my slaves.

Depending on the day, I'm either Harriet Tubbman driving the Freedom Express for high financial compensation...or I'm enacting just desserts for the ancestors with a trunk full of definitely-not-black passengers.

Either way I feel good about myself.
dac15_cool.gif

BibleThump

good. faction logos really need to be a thing. not only because of the faction but because of easier allegiance (friend or foe) identification. but that gets into real clan stuff that I'm not sure FDev is willing/interested in embracing.

We just need FD to generate our great leader's mug for the update so we can get that authentic GAF mission experience.

We just need FD to generate our great leader's mug for the update so we can get that authentic GAF mission experience.
true.

After I finish hauling my power cargo (gotta finish by tomorrow night), I will cruise on over to Apam Napat and help out.

still doing powerplay runs eh

#godbless

I've seen the light. I make more in 2 Robigo runs (> $100 million!) than in the 3 hours of PowerPlay merit farming + 6 hours of bounty hunting and related instance relogging.

The only combat I do now is CZs and PvP. Unsuprisingly, I do not miss merit farming or RES site sitting.

Hylian7

true.

still doing powerplay runs eh

#godbless

I've seen the light. I make more in 2 Robigo runs (> $100 million!) than in the 3 hours of PowerPlay merit farming + 6 hours of bounty hunting and related instance relogging.

The only combat I do now is CZs and PvP. Unsuprisingly, I do not miss merit farming or RES site sitting.

Powerplay runs give me time to catch up on videos/movies/whatever. I can usually knock them out pretty quickly. I was able to upgrade to A thrusters on my Anaconda and still be able to make it between Kamadhenu and Guathiti in one jump.

I've seen the light. I make more in 2 Robigo runs (> $100 million!)

100 Million? how? I only see missions that pay 2-3 millions max and the chances of completing 10 missions in a row without being scanned are nearly non-existant....

I think I will try and drag my FDL over to Apam Napat this evening. Its in Tote right now which I think is about 100ly away. Should be a pain to get the FDL over there but if anyone wants to wing up for some GAF boosting combat missions shoot me a friend request. CMDR name is King Radical.

EDIT: Do we have an Elite DangerousGAF Discord server? We might want to make one to co-ordinate our efforts if we intend to flip Apam Napat back to our control.

Woah, the Force Shell is great! Hitting a ship with it will get it to spin haha

Damn, that was it? too bad. I hope this hits youtube soon. I want to see it all.

Yep, as I said. Soooo great. spinning Sidewinders will be amazing.

Will be interesting as well to getting hit when in VR!

I just got an idea. What if you can use the regeneration beam to help out ships in distract beacons or even missions where you are supposed to help/bodyguard someone to a given destination.

just lost my FAS for the first time. Was 2sec too slow to destroy the enemy :( Damn

Hylian7

I'm having a hard time finding GAF faction missions in Apam Napat. I've been cycling between Open and Solo and got nothing. I'm in my FDL so I can't do transport missions either. I just did a Fed advancement mission just because it was there.

SmartBase

That gatling laser thing with recoil looked cool, not yet sold on the slow-firing multicannon. Force shell looks like grade-A trolling for VR people, I felt a bit queasy just seeing those ships tumble around like that.

That all looks very nice. I'm happy for all of you combat players, and I'll just leave it at that. :(

But we get...bookmarks! Please be excited.

~Cross~

Force shells are a simple thing that can change so much. Smacking someone with them will disorient the player if they are using VR, they'll kick someone trying to jump so they have to reorient themselves, the force is enough to completely screw a heavy ship in a high gravity planet.

It feels like engineers are adding a huge chunk of extra backbone to the game but it still needs a reason to use all of these neat things. If they can build more things around this the game will be in great shape.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
But we get...bookmarks! Please be excited.

Bookmarks are a great feature, for sure, but truthfully my pen and paper have done the same thing for the past year and a half. What my pen and paper can't do is add features and gameplay to exploration. The engineers offer a lot of opportunity to give explorers some new features and toys, for once, but I'm fearing that it really won't. I just wish the devs would give exploration ANY attention at all.

I mean any.....

DrBo42

Bookmarks are a great feature, for sure, but truthfully my pen and paper have done the same thing for the past year and a half. What my pen and paper can't do is add features and gameplay to exploration. The engineers offer a lot of opportunity to give explorers some new features and toys, for once, but I'm fearing that it really won't. I just wish the devs would give exploration ANY attention at all.

I mean any.....

Well Brookes did say the modifications apply to modules as well, not just weapons. I don't really expect gameplay changes to exploration. They seem to think it's okay as it is right now. I think they're absurdly wrong but they need to sell expansion packs and combat depth attracts new blood.

SmartBase

I mean any.....

Don't get me started on what Frontier calls "exploration", ugh. I still appreciate more dakka and pew pew but that's already the most developed part of the game.

100 Million? how? I only see missions that pay 2-3 millions max and the chances of completing 10 missions in a row without being scanned are nearly non-existant....

Elite trading. But once you get to Tycoon, you should see missions up to $5 million. I used to average like $35-$40 mill/run at Tycoon.

Mengy

Don't get me started on what Frontier calls "exploration", ugh. I still appreciate more dakka and pew pew but that's already the most developed part of the game.

That's what really gets me, that combat stuff continually gets improved despite the fact that it's already in a pretty good place, and yet exploration hasn't seen any major improvements since launch. Minor improvements sure but most of them were not exploration specific, they simply benefited explorers by luck and coincidence. I mean I like exploring now in Elite but I'll readily admit it takes a certain kind of insanity to find enjoyment out of exploring in Elite Dangerous as it sits now, and a little attention every third patch or so really wouldn't hurt anyone.

It's like FDev simply doesn't want to bother...

SmartBase

That's what really gets me, that combat stuff continually gets improved despite the fact that it's already in a pretty good place, and yet exploration hasn't seen any major improvements since launch. Minor improvements sure but most of them were not exploration specific, they simply benefited explorers by luck and coincidence. I mean I like exploring now in Elite but I'll readily admit it takes a certain kind of insanity to find enjoyment out of exploring in Elite Dangerous as it sits now, and a little attention every third patch or so really wouldn't hurt anyone.

As much as I want them to, why would they? It's the combat that brings in more sales.

I'd be interested in seeing the analytics on what players are doing proportionally by profession. I'd assume that they are putting their limited resources and priorities in places that best reflect what their players are doing.

Kiyoshi

Any showing of the new mission screens? A decent overhaul of those is what will (or will not, if they don't do it well) draw me back in.

JambiBum

So for the people that want things added to exploring, what do you want to see added? I know bookmarks were a hugely requested thing and they are adding those, but what else would you like to see?

Burny

That all looks very nice. I'm happy for all of you combat players, and I'll just leave it at that. :(

Hey, they mentioned new POIs. ;-) "The Lost" also sounds like a very exploration focused story arc*. I'm just hoping they do it justice. I'd like to see actual generation ships or planetside settlements around those. Think Xenoblade X, Trigun etc..

Improved planet textures and improved asteroid rings benefit explorers as much as any other player. Probably more, considering they're more likely to be screenshot hunters.

* Edit: Provided it's going to do the term "story arc" any justice. Search, discovery and interaction with the descending generations of lost spacefarers with gigantic ships condensed into a short Galnet note and POIs/USS' with some generic debris wouldn't do it much justice. ;)

Hylian7

I looked over the stuff from the stream. They posted a lot of the new stuff in short YouTube videos.

Force Shell - Awesome, could really see a lot of neat use for this, especially in RES kind of areas. Just imagine knocking someone into an asteroid.

Huge Beam Laser and Multicannon - Excited for these, although what was with the Beam Laser seeming to fire out of four different holes?

Map Bookmarks - IT'S ABOUT TIME. I can get rid of all those Sidewinders soon. Making names for your bookmarks is also great, so I can mark systems "Home", etc.

Map States - Also great, especially when searching for things like Conflict Zones, or specific types of missions.

Outfitting - This is really huge and makes outfitting much easier without having to tab out to other sites like EDShipyard or Coriolis.io. Every module says the class and rating in big letters, so you don't have to look in all the small text for it. Your power output is always on the screen, so you can see what effect the module will have on your power.

Shield Regeneration Beam - Welcome new module, makes having wingmen even more useful. Might be more fun to RES farm with friends now, since having these could let you stay longer.

Thermal Shock - The FDL is going to be cowering in a corner from this thing. Assuming this is as good as it sounds, this might just be your Fer-De-Lance counter. At the very least, I expect more players to have more heat sinks on their ships now, to deal with both this, their own Shield Cell Banks, and possibly their own weapons.

SmartBase

So for the people that want things added to exploring, what do you want to see added? I know bookmarks were a hugely requested thing and they are adding those, but what else would you like to see?

Something more complex than pointing and scanning would be nice, along with actual incentives to land on planets (resource grinding just to be able to reach more systems to point and scan is not one of them).

DrBo42

Hey, they mentioned new POIs. ;-) "The Lost" also sounds like a very exploration focused story arc*. I'm just hoping they do it justice. I'd like to see actual generation ships or planetside settlements around those. Think Xenoblade X, Trigun etc..

Improved planet textures and improved asteroid rings benefit explorers as much as any other player. Probably more, considering they're more likely to be screenshot hunters.

* Edit: Provided it's going to do the term "story arc" any justice. Search, discovery and interaction with the descending generations of lost spacefarers with gigantic ships condensed into a short Galnet note and POIs/USS' with some generic debris wouldn't do it much justice. ;)

Yeah, The Missing would be very interesting to see out in the black but a few POIs or Galnet articles really aren't going to cut it. Unfortunately we've really seen no story arc take place in gameplay as of yet so I have little to no confidence in their ability to pull it off.

My money is on The Missing either leading directly to or being the key in the war with Thargoids that will eventually happen.

Sibylus

Banned
Sibylus Suggests:

• Faction xp/credits for scouting their worlds
  • Scanning of asteroids for mining factions
  • Naming of geographical features on worlds if you're the first to see them / Naming worlds.
  • Planting of flags/plaques upon unclaimed worlds, for xp/credits if a faction's
  • "Space Program" missions: Transporting cargoes of astronauts to distant worlds/asteroids (complete with landing and allowing them to disembark), Recall missions of astronauts returning from distant worlds/asteroids, transport missions of science station modules
  • "Hazard Pay" missions: Scouting faction space and worlds hostile to you, Scouting resource and conflict zones (with risks), scans inside the coronas of stars (better payout for more danger), scans at point-blank distance to black holes, "Impactor" missions against Asteroids

Mengy

I'd be interested in seeing the analytics on what players are doing proportionally by profession. I'd assume that they are putting their limited resources and priorities in places that best reflect what their players are doing.

The counter argument to that though is that very few players are doing exploration now solely due to the empty and basic game mechanics associated with it. If they actually put some gameplay into exploration then more people might do it.

- exploration missions. This alone would make exploration immensely more popular and interactive.
- exploration specific POI's on planet surfaces. Things you can scan for expo data, and they get more valuable the farther you are from Sol.
- comets and other non-planetary objects in systems to scan for data
- at least one or more new ships geared for exploration, with top tier jump distances comparable to Asp and Anaconda
- make escape pods more valuable with distance from Sol
- finally add the orrery view for system map, it's been planned since before beta!!!
- an interactive planetary scanner like the SRV scanner would be fantastic
- give explorers some kind of mechanic to influence the gradual expansion of the bubble into space (new exploration driven bases)

That's just off the top of my head.

Pomerlaw

I'm sure it's coming sooner or later Mengy. I'm sure Frontier are aware of the unlimited potential of exploration in their game.

DrBo42

^ Are they though? Lol. I'm not sure anymore.

Read the Burny "The Missing" thread in Dangerous Discussion, quite good. Made me realize they can't do a story like that justice without the ability to EVA and explore derelict ships etc. And that's still a year off at least. Ugh. So much potential in this game locked away by bizarre time management and lack of initial funds.

Top Bottom