• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

E-flux

Okay, then what do people here use for flight sticks?

I really like to use Thrustmaster Warthog but i wouldn't recommend getting one unless you can find one for around 250€ The joystick however is missing the yaw axis so i had to put those inputs on buttons which works well enough for elite.

26-280-021-TS

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is it beta day yet?

No, not until the week of May 8th, officially.

I have a full CH Products HOTAS setup that I bought last year: stick, throttle, and pedals. I should have bought them years ago, before it I used a Saitek X45 for over ten years, and even though it was junk I was able to fix it and keep it limping along for all of that time, but had no idea just how much fun and control that crappy Saitek was sucking out of my games. The CH opened my eyes, what a huge increase in quality and control!

mitchman

Gold Member
You'll really really need to be familiar with the controls, but the consensus here is the saiteks have quite high failure rates...

I use Saitek X52, but you have to realize that you rarely hear from the people that use this very popular stick without any issues or failures. Take what you hear people complain about with a grain of salt :)

frontieruk

I use Saitek X52, but you have to realize that you rarely hear from the people that use this very popular stick without any issues or failures. Take what you hear people complain about with a grain of salt :)

I have a x52 as well, but there usually isn't smoke without fire. A colleague has had two fail on him in a year, now I'm not going to say is shoddy build quality as knowing the guy he's been rough with it in game, at the same time they do feel flimsy.

Person

I use an x55, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend it, the clicky feedback from the buttons have worn down after just half a year of use and there are divots in the x and y axis on the stick ground down just from my use, particularly when I pull up. the plastic there has literally worn down from that.

Person

No, not until the week of May 8th, officially.

I have a full CH Products HOTAS setup that I bought last year: stick, throttle, and pedals. I should have bought them years ago, before it I used a Saitek X45 for over ten years, and even though it was junk I was able to fix it and keep it limping along for all of that time, but had no idea just how much fun and control that crappy Saitek was sucking out of my games. The CH opened my eyes, what a huge increase in quality and control!

to be fair, you had used it for over 10 years, that's more than impressive for any saitek product. I'd say that's pretty good, plus the fact that the x45 was back before saitek was acquired by mad catz. Their sticks really weren't as bad as they are now.

I doubt this x55 will still be minimally functional after 3 years

Person

I really like to use Thrustmaster Warthog but i wouldn't recommend getting one unless you can find one for around 250€ The joystick however is missing the yaw axis so i had to put those inputs on buttons which works well enough for elite.

I wouldn't say it's missing yaw, sinve actual jets won't have a yaw axis on the stick, just pedals

I'd put that down as an extra feature rather than a fault of the product, but it wouldn't be bad if they had one with a locking mechanism for optional use

Burny

Ch Products HOTAS with pedals. Upgraded from a perfectly working X52 Pro. I mostly use mouse & keyboard however. The default config for Elite is poor, but it's a setup that works tremendously well with some personal configuration and gives HOTAS users a run for their money in dogfights. It just lacks the immersion factor.

My two cents based on a a fully functional X52 Pro: stay away from Saitek. If you buy cheap, you'll buy twice. And for a full HOTAS the Saitek products are "cheap" even if their price unfortunately is not. Either go the economic route - Thrustmaster HOTAS X essentially - or go all in.

la_briola

I can also vouch for CH Products -- used the stick + throttle for elite pre-horizon and got myself the pedals some month ago. Quality products.

Mengy

to be fair, you had used it for over 10 years, that's more than impressive for any saitek product.

Sure but it broke (the first time) after only four years! I just kept rigging it back together. :)

Eventually though it broke so much that I couldn't fix it. :(

Pimpbaa

And the Hotas X felt so cheap when I used it...

That's because it is cheap. But it works great, which matters most. Wouldn't want to pay the insane prices for the saitek stuff and still have a cheaply built hotas. I mean Saitek won't even put some weight in their sticks and instead use suction cups. SUCTION CUPS! Even Thrustmaster have the base of the hotas x weighted.

I'd like to try the warthog stick one day for the Hall effect, but I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to replace CH Fighterstick for it given how many custom lines of code I have commanding my CH setup. It has roughly the same number of buttons but I'd have to use a different tool for it and it would appear as a different controller I think. (the CH setup appears as a single controller with a bajillion buttons).

hmm.

E-flux

I wouldn't say it's missing yaw, sinve actual jets won't have a yaw axis on the stick, just pedals

I'd put that down as an extra feature rather than a fault of the product, but it wouldn't be bad if they had one with a locking mechanism for optional use

Oh i didn't mean it as an fault, that was one of the reasons why i got the stick since i wanted something sturdy that wouldn't wiggle round on any axis, but as we are talking about Elite i figured that it would be good to mention.

I'd like to try the warthog stick one day for the Hall effect, but I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to replace CH Fighterstick for it given how many custom lines of code I have commanding my CH setup. It has roughly the same number of buttons but I'd have to use a different tool for it and it would appear as a different controller I think. (the CH setup appears as a single controller with a bajillion buttons).

hmm.

What type of custom lines do you have in use? The Target program that Thrustmaster uses is absolutely horrible and should be axed as soon as possible even their script editor uses their own language, i don't know how similar it is to other script languages since my expertise ends at Java hello world, but i have heard that the actual program is quite powerful, personally i just rebinded all of the keys in Elite and didn't look back after trying the Target software for the first time.

Person

Sure but it broke (the first time) after only four years! I just kept rigging it back together. :)

Eventually though it broke so much that I couldn't fix it. :(

only four years? some laptops don't even last 4 years, you'll be lucky if a mad catz product lasts even 1 year these days

What type of custom lines do you have in use? The Target program that Thrustmaster uses is absolutely horrible and should be axed as soon as possible even their script editor uses their own language, i don't know how similar it is to other script languages since my expertise ends at Java hello world, but i have heard that the actual program is quite powerful, personally i just rebinded all of the keys in Elite and didn't look back after trying the Target software for the first time.
the CH script editor is probably similarly old-school. Also from the late 90s or so. It takes a little learning, but can be customized to support something like 150 button commands, combinations, etc. it's really quite amazing. I just don't know how it would interface with the Warthog stick. But I'm sure someone out there has tried it and knows.

oh also, it seems impossible to move that influence for the GAF faction. I'm close to giving up. I've run maybe 15 missions and it hasn't moved an inch. The faction in power is a power across multiple systems in the area. I'm not sure how we're supposed to match that sort of dominant presence.

Mengy

So, once 2.1 goes live and we get station chatter, what will your callsign be in game?

The callsign is made up of the first three letters of your commander's name, so for example mine will be Mike Echo November:

aviation-alphabet-1.jpg

DrBo42

ObsidianAnt just made me aware of The Border Coalition. A group of factions on the fringe that have come together in a movement to further human space. Pioneers, explorers, frontiersmen.

They're essentially petitioning to become a Power in Powerplay. Some sort of competition will take place in June to determine if they will.

I think this absolutely requires the support of all Elite Dangerous players to shape the future of player group involvement and its ownership.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8uTElPAQm4

So, once 2.1 goes live and we get station chatter, what will your callsign be in game?

The callsign is made up of the first three letters of your commander's name, so for example mine will be Mike Echo November:

Delta Romeo Bravo. Could be worse?

aviation-alphabet-1.jpg

PC: Alpha November Tango
X1: Golf Alpha Romeo

X1 is eh; love my PC callsign.

zorbsie

Just got a 2GB update on XB1 not sure what that was for. I think it's this stuff maybe. Haven't started the game to find out.

Call sign for X1 - Zulu Oscar Romeo

EDIT: Looks like it is that update.

alouette

Since the last update, I can't play it anymore with my regular profile. Bought the game with a second account during preview phase and played it a lot with my main (gold) profile. Now I can't start the game, because it always tells me to "log in with the profile, who bought it". Even when that profile is also logged in, I can't use it on another account.

This should be fixed soon, right?

gossi

Just got a 2GB update on XB1 not sure what that was for. I think it's this stuff maybe. Haven't started the game to find out.

Call sign for X1 - Zulu Oscar Romeo

EDIT: Looks like it is that update.

Yeah, in the store you can now buy the Close Quarters Combat addon (£4). It adds Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and another mode I've forgotten.

alouette

Since the last update, I can't play it anymore with my regular profile. Bought the game with a second account during preview phase and played it a lot with my main (gold) profile. Now I can't start the game, because it always tells me to "log in with the profile, who bought it". Even when that profile is also logged in, I can't use it on another account.

This should be fixed soon, right?

Quoting myself, just to fix this :)
1st: wrong thread
2nd: I was talking about XboxOne version
3rd:
Greetings CMDRs,

There is currently a issue displaying error message:

"THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THIS NEEDS TO SIGN IN - Sign in with the profile used for purchase, or buy a copy at the xbox store"

Thank you for your reports, we have now received enough relevant information to help us investigate the issue.

We are making this issue our top priority and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the issue.

We shall update this thread with more information as I receive it.

Sorry for any circumstances...

I petered off a little bit after getting my Python, but 2.1 sounds like it'll give me a shitload of things to work for (engineer mods look fun to work for, even if it's just another bit of collecting to get).

I'm curious though, do we know if stuff like the engineer mods apply to the weapon variants already present in the powerplay factions? Whatever looting/crafting for stat upgrades tends to be, I imagine those will be able to apply, but something like the railgun SCB strippers being added to imperial hammers would be pretty bonkers. I don't know what sort of function will be added to plasmas, but the fire rate of the advanced plasmas could make them pretty nuts.

Mengy

Found a large black hole tonight out in the Abyssal Plains, out close to the end of the Arm now, so naturally I decided to play in it's gravity well for a bit! The distant Milky Way distorted fantastically, I got as close as I could without frying my Asp into spacedust:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That looks amazing.

I've upgraded my Type 6 mining ship to an Asp so now have 96 Cargo space and 2 pulse lasers and 2 Multicannons so I can actually fight back when I get interdicted on the way to Frey 4.
It seems if you accept a bunch of mining missions before you get cargo you get interdicted regardless of weather you have mined anything yet.

Ive upgraded my bounty hunting ship to a Vulture with 2 large burst lasers after experimenting abit I think i like them better then 1 beam+1 cannon or 2 pulse laser.

Really fun combat ship its cool that it has such a small powerplant tho..makes it hard to optimize so it feels like you have to make choices for a build vs the others seem to just need enough cash to buy A everything.

zorbsie

Any tips for a beginner in arena mode? I'm getting destroyed and I can't even seem to get a lock on the players shooting me. lol. I want to say it's because I'm level 1 and they are level 45, but there must be more right?

Any tips for a beginner in arena mode? I'm getting destroyed and I can't even seem to get a lock on the players shooting me. lol. I want to say it's because I'm level 1 and they are level 45, but there must be more right?
They know how to use the power ups around the map, which helps immensely. You also can only target what's immediately ahead of you and in line of sight, so it's a way different approach to combat. Watch some videos, I bet there are some good tutorials.

Burny

Their level shouldn't prevent you from locking onto them for instance. ;-)

It's very much skil based. It's an advantage if you've spend a lot of time bounty hunting/PvP-ing in the normal game before you approach CQC. Vice versa, it's an advantage to combat in the normal game, if you've become familiar with combat in CQC.

If you're unlucky and only are matched with high level CQC players though, the NPCs in the main game will be easier targets for getting a grip on combat. ^^

zorbsie

They know how to use the power ups around the map, which helps immensely. You also can only target what's immediately ahead of you and in line of sight, so it's a way different approach to combat. Watch some videos, I bet there are some good tutorials.

It's very much skil based. It's an advantage if you've spend a lot of time bounty hunting/PvP-ing in the normal game before you approach CQC. Vice versa, it's an advantage to combat in the normal game, if you've become familiar with combat in CQC.

Thanks guys. I checked some videos out. I was hoping to get my main game skills up by playing some arena games. Going to stick with it till I get a better feel for it. But I must say, getting into games and server issues were pretty bad on XB1. Still early days though.

Their level shouldn't prevent you from locking onto them for instance. ;-)

If you're unlucky and only are matched with high level CQC players though, the NPCs in the main game will be easier targets for getting a grip on combat. ^^

Yeah I consider myself rather much above average but every so often a real pro comes in and absolutely destroys me and everyone else. Not quite sure how they do it sometimes, their accuracy, maneuverability and situational awareness is pretty impressive.

Running away is a big part of it.

Yes. Should be in an hour on the YouTube channel. If you're not seeing it, check the twitch page.

Good call, thanks. Just started: https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/live

EDIT: Sounds like they're gonna get into/discuss missions for at least part of it.

Tomorrow's newsletter is focusing on the actual engineers in 2.1.

Just showed off Emissive Munitions: "modified warheads capable of enveloping a target with energentic particles. Successful strikes to shield or hull dramatically increase the target vessels signature." Basically, they increase a ship's signature--designed to counter a lot of the silent running buildings. Shoot a target with this and they show up for targeting or at least makes it more difficult to stay hidden.

Sandro says most, but not all, experimental effects/modules have counter effects. Emissive Munitions, for example, has an overheating penalty or bumps up your heat faster.

You can receive credits, materials, rep, and "another reward" that he doesn't feel like revealing, for missions. I think there may have been others but I missed it.

Superpowers will have career paths, but not in 2.1--didn't have time to fit it in. However, military career paths in 2.1 will be different, just as a result of the changes in missions and mission structure in 2.1.

No Wing missions in 2.1.

In 2.1 you'll have an InBox--won't have to drop out of Supercruise to talk to contacts to receive or continue missions.

Structurally, the changes to the missions themselves seem pretty minor in 2.1. They will be presented in a much better and clearer way and the new rewards make things more interesting but nothing major like linked missions or wing missions.

Showing off missiles/torpedo revamps now.

No exploration missions in 2.1 :( Sorry, Mengy.

New POI approach mechanic: helps take you from space directly down to a specific POI.

Says that the mission overhaul isn't in 2.1 but a lot of good features and functions related to improving missions and immersion are in.

Mengy

Showing off missiles/torpedo revamps now.

No exploration missions in 2.1 :( Sorry, Mengy..

Oh I didn't expect exploration missions for 2.1, in reality the missions aren't changing much at all for 2.1, just the interface and presentation.

But I would like it if they showed some non combat engineer stuff someday. This is just more weapons via the engineers, I'm really starting to think all of the engineers are combat oriented like Power Play was.

Summary here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245153
  • Part 3 next week. More into on the specific Engineers in tomorrow's newsletter.
  • 2.1 brings a fresh look to missions.
  • Image and video shown for Emissive (sp?) Munitions upgrade. Envelops target vessel with energetic particles. Increases target vessel signature. Can be applied to different weapons.
  • Used to counter silent running builds. More damage done = bigger signature. If sensors are degraded then using this upgrade will counter that. Weapons will become much hotter to fire when using this upgrade.
  • Most engineers upgrades are more positive than negative in terms of effect on your ship.
  • Lets talk missions shall we?
  • New mission board screen (from dev. build, shown in last week's newsletter). Shows faction reps. The more you work with factions, the more likely you'd meet higher-ranking members of that faction. Faction reps will tell you how they feel about you and how their faction is doing.
  • System states will have bigger effect on missions.
  • Faction current, pending and previous state shown.
  • Criminal factions will offer more illegal missions. However, other law-aiding factions may be more subtle in offering illegal missions.
  • Reason for mission is displayed. Step by step description on mission objectives. Communication improved for why this mission is available. That plus pictures of faction reps aids players who are role-playing the game.
  • Video shown of space-traffic control feature. Space-traffic control communicates with player in vicinity of station to aid in docking procedure and also when leaving stations.
  • If you're hostile, space-traffic control will warn you that you will be fired upon on approach to station.
  • Lots of different voice options for space-traffic control.
  • Missions will pay more for higher-rank pilots. Rank will have effect on mission difficultly, and related rewards. FD will watch feedback for this for beta. Have to balance between new pilots and billionaires.
  • Missions can also award special materials used by Engineers.
  • Also another potential mission reward besides credits and materials. FD keeping that secret for now.
  • Missions for military career paths have changed for 2.1
  • FD aware of requests for Wing Missions. Not in 2.1 but since 2.1 has improved AI for NPCs you may want to wing up anyway.
  • Brand new mission templates for 2.1. Existing mission templates reworked, mission branches replaced and improved.
  • Comms inbox used more now. You will rarely have to drop out of super cruise to receive mission-related messages.
  • Introducing Cordial - new rep. rank between Neutral and Friendly. New players will start at the high end of Neutral.
  • SFX for all weapons determined by damage type and weapon.
  • Ship insurance re-buy DOES covered Engineer-modifications to your ship.
  • Incendiary Rounds Image and video shown. Damage converted to thermal, damage slightly increased as well. Especially good for projectile style weapons. No real damage to your ship when using this upgrade, but that might change.
  • New mission scenarios and types in 2.1 - not loads more, but more.
  • Chained missions - not part of 2.1, work in progress.
  • Branching missions - almost all 2.1 missions have some sort of potential branch. For example, in an Assassination mission, you may get message from contact warning you that your target is aware that you are after them and has sent minions after you! If you do kill the minions, you get extra reward. Following the branch in missions will usually result in extra reward but its optional for you to do so.
  • Long term vision for missions - moving towards more dynamic missions with personal narrative. But due to number of different factions, major factions, system states, faction agendas etc the mission system is procedural.
  • Player designed missions? - That's a lot of work.
  • Boot time for weapons shown in outfitting screen - time takes for weapons to turn on.
  • Powerplay weapons staying for now.
  • Potential Powerplay Engineers on the way!
  • Ship transfer to another station - its on the to-do list.
  • Missiles! Previously hit with nerf-bat. Now increased damage to shields, small buff before (in 1.5) and for 2.1, minor buff again.
  • Missiles won't penetrate hull, but, when missile impacts on hull, splash damage is applied on nearby ship modules and hard-points.
  • Guidance system for missiles has been improved too so, "time to bring back the point-defence!"
  • Some Engineer upgrades can be applied to missiles!
  • "We're looking to shake up everything!"
  • Missile video shown. Canopy breached!
  • THANK GOD! NPC ships harassing you with mission spam after mission accepted are gone for 2.1
  • Ice mining video shown.
  • Ice mining missions in 2.1!
  • No exploration missions yet but they are planned.
  • In space missions can be given by faction rep. Plus there are a couple of new missions types for in-space missions. They are hidden away in beta and FD will be watching to see who finds those new missions.
  • Scanning Nav beacon can scan whole system, for USS missions you will be told the body near the USS.
  • New POI approach mechanic.
  • Missions timers - increasing amount of time for mission. Certain branches in missions will potentially pay you more, but those branches will of course take longer.
  • Feedback Cascade image shown. Interferes with shield cell operation and can disable target vessel's shield in the process.
  • Feedback Cascade video shown. Fed Dropship activates shield cell, when hit by Feedback Cascade, Dropship's shields drop to 0%.
  • FD have a bunch of options for this weapon if the effects are too great, that's what beta's are for!
  • Engineer mods will be great upheaval for ED, in hindsight current Feedback Cascade effect may not be that deadly. Maybe it will just do damage to the shield cell. FD want to get this out there in beta and get the feedback.
  • Missions can now ask you to kill people from certain factions.
  • Illegal missions can ask you to kill clean targets (I assume legal missions won't)
  • Enemy Ships should be closer in rank to you for missions. So, for assassination missions, if you're Mostly Harmless you won't be fighting an Elite Condy.
  • Target type now given for missions (eg Pirate Lord)
  • New video shown, ship landing at Engineer base.
  • Some of the bases are unlocked at launch. Each base has a unique looks to fit the terrain, landing piers etc.
  • Missions are scaled around your rank.
  • Missions will display tips on equipment needed. Assassination missions for example will advise you to take a FSD Interdictor.
  • New commanders will be given a welcome mission in their inbox. This is optional.

Top Bottom