• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

Hey look at that. Utility mounts aren't just weird boxes anymore. Rad.

Back to complaints. Launcher just died at 1m remaining. I hope whoever designed this launcher has awful RNG.

HelloMeow

Apparently improved AI means they can boost and come to a full stop within one second.

Oh and every single NPC starts running away when their shield is down. Great. Try killing anything with enough health with a corvette now.

DrBo42

"Exploration discovery scanners also have an angular field of view, no more scanning an entire system with a single pulse"

LOL. Enjoy Mengy. Finally got an exploration update!

New USS view:

z48DppV.png

From that same 2.1/1.6 reddit megapost--looks like ice mining could be lucrative (Low Temperature Diamond):

2.1 + gemFX

zgkK6cB.jpg

xYRMSNa.jpg

Credits : AlexeiTND

If you don'T see this looks better, you may be blind. ;)

Yeah, ice rings look fantastic:

Obsidian also just posted a 2.1 vid. Goes over graphical changes. He says "there is no performance hit for this that I have noticed...plus this is on a new Ultra setting."

He remarks that, overall, the lighting or rendering seems improved. Feels like the default colors are richer.

EDIT: Seems like FD has made major optimizations--probably necessary to get Horizons on X1:

My GPU is a GTX 770, and previously I was getting about 40-50 fps with all the planetary stuff on high, and sometimes it would spasm down to about 20 for periods.
So far on 2.1, I'm getting a rock steady 60fps, both flying around the planet and scooting about in the buggy. Seems like a really major improvement to me. Might even see how it handles on ultra in a minute.

Still waiting for some damned planet screens.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
"Exploration discovery scanners also have an angular field of view, no more scanning an entire system with a single pulse"

LOL. Enjoy Mengy. Finally got an exploration update!

pmvemcM.gif

o_O

Where are you seeing this? it's not in the patch notes....

DrBo42

Changes to the Bulletin Board are pretty great. It's slow as fuck to load though.

Here's one of our GAF contacts and a successful mission:

The elements on the second screenshot animate in. So the mission banner and the checkmark show up, then the contact response etc.

pmvemcM.gif

o_O

Where are you seeing this? it's not in the patch notes....

Max angle of the advanced scanner view range is ten degrees. If you guys try and defend this I'm out.

Could someone with modified GUI colors check if their portraits are in check? It seems like mine did get some color changing as well. As if they were depending on the colors of the GUI. I do use the green for VR.

Pomerlaw

I hope it's not what I think it is. 10 degree angle lol

New patch incoming!

Beta 2 update incoming (1.6/2.1)
Hi Commanders,

A patch is incoming, at around 8:45pm (BST), with the following fixes:

Crash fixes:
- Crash when attempting to enter Supercruise after scanning a nav beacon
- Fix for crash found in wear and tear component
- Fixed frequent server crash

General:
- Missing collision audio when hitting SRV and Skimmer wreckage with an SRV
- Corvette shield not being in the correct place
- Some planet side POI’s spawning under ground
- General improvements to NPC visuals and their backgrounds
- Engineer invite missions not appearing
- Planet dust VFX now matches terrain colour
- Unable to use mouse input on OSX

Thanks,
Adam

I hope it's not what I think it is. 10 degree angle lol

I've been thinking about it and it's technically not bad, as a standalone value and if it existed in a vacuum. A 10 degree angle over thousands and thousands over kilometers is a HUGE area.

However, as a downgrade from what we had, it is awful. MUCH more tedious to scan systems, especially considering the system map isn't actually representative of the structure of a system.

Hylian7

Servers still down? I keep trying to download the beta, it gets to <1 minute remaining, then says network stream closed.

GeoGonzo

I've been thinking about it and it's technically not bad, as a standalone value and if it existed in a vacuum. A 10 degree angle over thousands and thousands over kilometers is a HUGE area.

However, as a downgrade from what we had, it is awful. MUCH more tedious to scan systems, especially considering the system map isn't actually representative of the structure of a system.

This change would have been awesome if it had arrive hand in hand with a huge increase in exploration income. Honestly I -like- the idea of actually searching for planets and secondary stars... but exploration was already the worst path when it comes to payouts.&#128533;

DrBo42

So I went to Farseer Inc. (base of FSD/explorer engineer). They have no bulletin board so I need to apply who knows how many of these shitty upgrades to get to Grade 2. Grinds within grinds within fucking grinds. How is one company's design philosophy so fucking terrible and boring?

Burny

Quick thoughts as I didn't get to try it much: Planet surface txtures have been tremendously improved! Asteroid rings on ultra with asteroids casting shadows on each other are great. Suns look a lot more blazing.

Didn't get to try much of the engineers, but landed at one's base (the woman who wants fish) and had a look at the bio-domes. Under some of them are fields with a rotating roboter arm waterng/fertilizing(?) them. Nice touch.

Re: exploration nerf, most people seem to regard it as a non issue--check my post here.

They think they're just stats that may have already existed but were hidden. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually done a comparison yet, but I wouldn't cry foul just yet.

I know they've made some strange decisions but I can't imagine FDev is that tone deaf to add tedium to an already tedious underdeveloped major occupation in the game.

DrBo42

I know they've made some strange decisions but I can't imagine FDev is that tone deaf to add tedium to an already tedious underdeveloped major occupation in the game.

After seeing these horrible changes to AI (automatically running with no shields, making combat with big ships laborious as fuck) and making you upgrade modules and waste countless materials to rank up 1 engineer, I think they're capable of any level of stupidity.

Serrato

Man... I get that you're angry/disappointed/sad/''insert emotion'' and all but have you maybe thought you should maybe go away from this game?

Come back later? I mean, that,s what I,m doing. I'm waiting for when it's gonna get better. I've already ''given'' that game over 200h so I had more fun with this game than many other in my life.

Just my two cents.

frontieruk

Man... I get that you're angry/disappointed/sad/''insert emotion'' and all but have you maybe thought you should maybe go away from this game?

Come back later? I mean, that,s what I,m doing. I'm waiting for when it's gonna get better. I've already ''given'' that game over 200h so I had more fun with this game than many other in my life.

Just my two cents.

Except if the voices wanting to improve different parts of the game go, they'll get even less attention.

DrBo42

Just my two cents.

Yeah, my bad. I'll just jog on and join the "Don't change anything, they're cry babies." "Don't do that, that's EVE!" "These babies don't want to work for anything!" crowd.

Jedi2016

Re: exploration nerf, most people seem to regard it as a non issue--check my post here.

They think they're just stats that may have already existed but were hidden. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually done a comparison yet, but I wouldn't cry foul just yet.
I would imagine that's affecting only the passive discovery, that your ship must be pointed at the object and within range to pick it up. I think a lot of people forget that there is passive detection with those.. they pick up the star that you jump to before you can even set off the burst.

I seriously doubt, after all this time of more or less ignoring exploration, that they would actually nerf something, especially something so major.

akira28

Just my two cents.

i would tell you to keep your two cents. if the passive route is what you've chosen, fine, but I appreciate people speaking up to make this game better. Some of these changes sound like shit, and if people know the right trees to shake, do it. I see nothing that makes me want to upgrade to Horizons just yet, and I have this earmarked 37.99 just waiting for a real deserving reason.

FD forum thread regarding the same complaint that Bo has: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246739

Are you pleased with the current engineer progression implementation* ?

Or : would you rather have a progression based on missions matching the engineer theme ?

*Current implementation is progress upon crafting modules. E.g. you craft an improved lvl1 FSD, get some "XP" for it.
Upon reaching an XP threshold, you get access to the next level of upgrades. Issue is : you need to craft way more
modules than you will ever need to unlock the "ranks".
I.e. Craft and Trash like the infamous leather helmets and iron daggers in Skyrim.

i would tell you to keep your two cents. if the passive route is what you've chosen, fine, but I appreciate people speaking up to make this game better. Some of these changes sound like shit, and if people know the right trees to shake, do it. I see nothing that makes me want to upgrade to Horizons just yet, and I have this earmarked 37.99 just waiting for a real deserving reason.
Agreed, but there's a stark difference between constructive criticism that encourages discussion and critiques that regularly and unreasonably question the intelligence of clearly capable designers and developers. It's one thing to dislike an idea or approach and want to discuss what a better approach may be like. It's quite another to say, "you're stupid." I see quite a bit of the later with very little of the former from certain posters. With respect, its fucking exhausting. If your incessantly negative feedback is that important in your mind to voice, don't let us stop you from sending said comments to FDev directly and/or posting them on Reddit or their official forums where people who matter are actually around to read them. Hell, send them an email or support ticket if you're so inclined. All of those channels are easily found.

I don't usually comment on things like this but really, fuck outtahere with that. The game isn't all flowers for sure. It's also not a bad game made by stupid developers because there are elements that you don't like or because they aren't addressing your issues fast enough. In short, chill the fuck out and add a touch more constructive to your criticism. We don't want to read your venting, snark and cynicism.

Currently 30-0 in favor of the change. Looks like they're not all insane like previously thought.

Yeah, that's pretty insane. I thought for sure they'd offer missions that help you "rank" up. I've never liked "you have to craft X amount of items" in MMOs *unless* what you were crafting was actually valuable and useful.

This could mean either as an equipment upgrade or trade/sell with other players for profit. Neither of those seem to be the case.

Also, unlike MMOs, you can't just go and click a bunch of times to gather materials or hack 15 spiders to death in 10 minutes. Everything takes a significant amount of time in ED compared to the MMOs they're trying to emulate--they need to take this into consideration.

Serrato

Except if the voices wanting to improve different parts of the game go, they'll get even less attention.

Sure, but I'm just saying that at this point it seems past criticism.

Yeah, my bad. I'll just jog on and join the "Don't change anything, they're cry babies." "Don't do that, that's EVE!" "These babies don't want to work for anything!" crowd.

Not at all what I said. No need to do 180°.

I appreciate people that can put in words better than me all the criticism we have against the game because YES the game should be better than it is. But like I'm saying, this seems past the criticism threshold, but again, that's just my point of view and I get your point too.

Sorry guys >>

DrBo42

Agreed, but there's a stark difference between constructive criticism that encourages discussion and critiques that regularly and unreasonably question the intelligence of clearly capable designers and developers. It's one thing to dislike an idea or approach and want to discuss what a better approach may be like. It's quite another to say, "you're stupid." I see quite a bit of the later with very little of the former from certain posters. With respect, its fucking exhausting. If your incessantly negative feedback is that important in your mind to voice, don't let us stop you from sending said comments to FDev directly and/or posting them on Reddit or their official forums where people who matter are actually around to read them. Hell, send them an email or support ticket if you're so inclined. All of those channels are easily found.

I don't usually comment on things like this but really, fuck outtahere with that. The game isn't all flowers for sure. It's also not a bad game made by stupid developers because there are elements that you don't like or because they aren't addressing your issues fast enough. In short, chill the fuck out and add a touch more constructive to your criticism. We don't want to read your venting, snark and cynicism.

Hey man, Mengy isn't that bad.

You could just put me on the ignore list, Frontier has.

Yeah, that's pretty insane. I thought for sure they'd offer missions that help you "rank" up. I've never liked "you have to craft X amount of items" in MMOs *unless* what you were crafting was actually valuable and useful.

This could mean either as an equipment upgrade or trade/sell with other players for profit. Neither of those seem to be the case.

Also, unlike MMOs, you can't just go and click a bunch of times to gather materials or hack 15 spiders to death in 10 minutes. Everything takes a significant amount of time in ED compared to the MMOs they're trying to emulate--they need to take this into consideration.

Someone likened it to crafting and trashing iron daggers in Skyrim. Made me laugh quite a bit, it's exactly what they have in place. Frontier isn't a group of idiots which makes seeing something like that being presented in a beta pretty shocking IMO. I mean how many eyes did that pass on its way here? You'd think with the big improvement to the mission system it would be obvious for them to take advantage of it.
Sure, but I'm just saying that at this point it seems past criticism.

Not at all what I said. No need to do 180°.

I appreciate people that can put in words better than me all the criticism we have against the game because YES the game should be better than it is. But like I'm saying, this seems past the criticism threshold, but again, that's just my point of view and I get your point too.

Sorry guys >>
You're fine. Just giving you a hard time. I'm the first to admit that I'm an asshole.

Serrato

I admit that that crafting to rank up thing is pretty jarring... If they have upgraded the mission system, why not use it there???

DrBo42

I admit that that crafting to rank up thing is pretty jarring... If they have upgraded the mission system, why not use it there???

The world may never know. Now the real question is if they take the L and say "Our bad guys" and change it immediately or make people suffer for a bit. Because as it stands right now, I can't imagine people will actually test ranking them up with the current system.

Edit: Has anyone come across that new POI implementation to guide you down from orbit or something? I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for if that's in.

akira28

Sorry guys >>

That came off harsher than intended. I have just been lurking the FD forums and seeing all these nice ideas and interesting requests, and the general attitude that FDev ignores them, and that everything is trying to mimic the sci-fi mmo market instead of making ED a complete and fun gaming world.

Like I was wondering if anyone had ever created an Abolitionist faction to work within Empire space, attacking slave traders and stealing and freeing slaves. A number of Abolitionist systems working with Aisling Duval as a rebel faction. And have it be this entire thing, since they have all the other moving parts, but aside from pages of discussion on the idea, people gave up on it last year because general lack of response to that kind of thing. I mean, the slave rebellion was touted last year as major content, but the most that happened was some generated number stats and a few randomly generated capital ship battles that no one ever saw.

I think I get it. The game makers are providing what they have planned as content, not what we are asking from them off the cuff. They simply can't do everything, etc. But what always seems to happen in these online mmo situations is they take forever giving us what we never wanted, and ignore us when we ask them for things we would like. Inflexibility, low response, and ultimately the fun loses momentum to the grind, that's how you lose people.

I don't have the energy to be a consistently squeaky wheel, but I have seen that the strategy does work. They DO respond, even though so many times I find those online petitioners to be annoying as well.

I'm actually really enjoying the AI improvements. Since 1.3, AI has been so brain dead, 4 pips to shields and 2 to weapons, you could fight in a RES indefinitely if you avoided dangerous wings. I could take down an Elite Anaconda faster than just about any other ship quickly stripping down shields and then hitting it's power plant with 2 huge cannon shots. Now the AI makes some reasonable decisions, is aggressive and evasive and gives you a reason to put pips into engines. It will make bounty hunting a bit less lucrative but it seems bounty values were slightly higher.

Some additional input from reddit on the "grind to rank up engineers" fiasco:

Well every engineer is slightly different. Some want mats, others want data, others want you to have a certain bounty level or exploration rank. It varies, depending on what makes sense for the character.

I can't believe this is the community that manged to figure out the Alien Artifacts mystery but can't figure the engineers out. The description is not the only way to increase rep with the engineer it's just one way. For example, I'm at Felicity Farseer engineer who if you read her profile is an Explorer. So I sold some exploration data and discovered some new materials after killing a few pirates in USS which is classed as cartography data and my rep increase to 7/100 with her. Frontier have never given instructions and expect players to discover this sort of stuff for themselves.

Also, check out Robigo missions/payouts in 2.1...

I haven't played Elite in over a year but I just found out one of my friends has been playing it, so I'm wanting to get back into it now that we'll have a small wing.

From memory I had a Cobra and a few million I'd made from rares trading and RES fighting.

For someone that hasn't played since before a lot of changes were made (eg. powerplay and horizons) do you have any tips or suggestions? What's money making like now? I remember it being quite slow.

I have also since redeemed it on steam (as originally I was playing via the stand alone launcher).

Top Bottom