• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

SmartBase

Does the 1.6 beta also have the graphical improvements? Kinda want to see for myself how the landable planets have improved and if they've worked on the earth-like ones.

Burny

Pretty sure they said all graphical improvements were in for both versions

From my brief testing yesterday, I'm actually not sure if/how the textures of landable planets from orbit have improved. They seemed largely the same to me. Wasn't close enough to the non-landable variety to compare those.

SmartBase

Surface textures among other bits here and there have improved when close up but since no one uses texture filtering in their screenshots I want to see it for myself, just needed to make sure they were in the 1.6 beta.

edit - Well now I feel stupid, I thought that because I own Horizons that I could land on planets in the 1.6 beta. Guess I'm waiting for the full release of Engineers to see the goods.

Burny

Biodomes from the inside:

biodome0162sli.jpg

biodome02z5srd.jpg

biodome03wbsb7.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If your incessantly negative feedback is that important in your mind to voice, don't let us stop you from sending said comments to FDev directly and/or posting them on Reddit or their official forums where people who matter are actually around to read them. Hell, send them an email or support ticket if you're so inclined. All of those channels are easily found. .

Some of us have done exactly that, a LOT, especially in the suggestion forums going back even before the game launched. And we've even gotten responses directly from the devs, positive responses for the non combat players, yet the devs continue to not really develop most of those game improving suggestions unless they involve combat. I don't think you understand how long some of us have been trying to help them improve the main game...

Class 3 thruster speed in an eagle without an engineer mod. Absolutely nuts.

Holy mother of God, 600+ speed???? So small ships are about to become completely uncatchable by anything with a Class 4 thruster or above? That HAS to be a bug, it's just so extreme....

Yeah, that's pretty insane. I thought for sure they'd offer missions that help you "rank" up. I've never liked "you have to craft X amount of items" in MMOs *unless* what you were crafting was actually valuable and useful.

So do I understand this right, you have to craft lots and lots of the lower upgrades in order to qualify for the highest ones? That does not sound like a lot of fun....although depending on how you collect the mats it might not be too terrible?

Is the AI that much improved? Bounty hunting can get tiresome pretty quickly as the challenge just isn't there once you're in a larger ship (and I'm only in a FAS).

Compared to the what they were, absolutely. They use shield cells much more effectively. They use them earlier and they use them right when their shields come back online. They try to escape out of range when their shields are down and when they are up they are much more aggressive and maneuver far better. No more spinning in place. They can still be predictable, certainly not human pilots but compared to what we've been fighting the new AI are geniuses.

The one thing that they don't do, which thank god they don't, they don't try to escape into supercruise. That would make sense but then bounty hunting would be nothing but frustration.

Wow
https://gfycat.com/SpecificAdorableCranefly

Another wow
THsHidP.jpg

People complaining about better AI are pissing me off... ;)

Really love how the speed mods have impacted the game. LOL at this:

DaleEmasiri_Frontier Social Media Manager 10 points 3 hours ago
I think the current internal record is over the 800 mark, but 600+ will see me splat against canyon sides more times than I can count.

And yeah, surface textures have DEFINITELY improved.

pjnA2PA.jpg

K59IlXC.jpg

Plus a 10-30 fps improvement? FD put in work.

So do I understand this right, you have to craft lots and lots of the lower upgrades in order to qualify for the highest ones? That does not sound like a lot of fun....although depending on how you collect the mats it might not be too terrible?

Well, some players posted these as follow up:

Well every engineer is slightly different. Some want mats, others want data, others want you to have a certain bounty level or exploration rank. It varies, depending on what makes sense for the character.
I can't believe this is the community that manged to figure out the Alien Artifacts mystery but can't figure the engineers out. The description is not the only way to increase rep with the engineer it's just one way. For example, I'm at Felicity Farseer engineer who if you read her profile is an Explorer. So I sold some exploration data and discovered some new materials after killing a few pirates in USS which is classed as cartography data and my rep increase to 7/100 with her. Frontier have never given instructions and expect players to discover this sort of stuff for themselves.

DrBo42

People complaining about better AI are pissing me off... ;)
It's just the running when shields are down that sucks if you're not in a nimble ship. They'll stay out of range until they have 1 ring of shields and make another suicide run at you. That's the part that isn't more intelligent or challenging. It just wastes my time.

Well every engineer is slightly different. Some want mats, others want data, others want you to have a certain bounty level or exploration rank. It varies, depending on what makes sense for the character.

I can't believe this is the community that manged to figure out the Alien Artifacts mystery but can't figure the engineers out. The description is not the only way to increase rep with the engineer it's just one way. For example, I'm at Felicity Farseer engineer who if you read her profile is an Explorer. So I sold some exploration data and discovered some new materials after killing a few pirates in USS which is classed as cartography data and my rep increase to 7/100 with her. Frontier have never given instructions and expect players to discover this sort of stuff for themselves.

Well at least there's some hope there. Would have much preferred themed missions. We'll see how far people get with the experimentation.

Finally a response from FD on the subject:

Mike Evans said:
The info in my post was somewhat cryptic but the three questions had the info in them. Yes we designed missions to be a way to earn rep and even to get introductions to engineers. No we didn't have time to implement this and had to go with a simpler solution. Yes we will look into using missions and the faction system to earn rep and introductions in future.

From that I'm guessing it was designed alongside the new mission system and couldn't incorporate it as a result. Now we have to wait for it to be put in down the line. This is the worst part about their development IMO. By the time we get to test something and give them feedback, their schedule has no opening to make a large change. That's why Powerplay shipped bad and stayed bad.

More:

Mike Evans said:
Engineers are like factions so we thought it would be easy to at least get some basic missions going for them. However they're not enough like factions that it isn't a non-trivial amount of work to get going. And besides, you'd want actual hand crafted and themed missions for each engineer which we didn't have time to do either. However that isn't to say we can't look into this more in future, it'll just be after the beta.

(In regards to selling exploration data etc as alternatives) -
Mike Evans said:
That is also something we might be able to do sooner than missions at least but I have no time frame for it. I think there is quite a psychological barrier with crafting in that players feel they don't want the lower grade stuff but at the end of the day that lower grade stuff is more often than not better than stock, and it only gets better as the ranks increase. I know you can see the god tier rank 5 recipes but that should dissuade you from getting better gear along the way towards getting it. The resources required for the higher ranks aren't the same as the lower ranks either so it's not like you have to save them up for later rather spending them now. However we are looking at ways we can ease this issue so players don't feel so bummed out they have to work their way up with modules they don't want in the first place.

Good dude for being honest and transparent about it.

Bonus round - NPC fleeing is being looked at!
Mike Evans said:
AI brave-sir-robin'ing it is being looked at. It was one of the major feedback points to get addressed today. I'm not sure what the solution is going to be however but I believe we're injecting more variety in how long and when they do it rather than the binary situation we have now.

Sorry this turned into a mega post. Thought people would want to see the actual designer feedback since most don't visit the hellscape that is the frontier forums.

Onemic

Surface textures among other bits here and there have improved when close up but since no one uses texture filtering in their screenshots I want to see it for myself, just needed to make sure they were in the 1.6 beta.

edit - Well now I feel stupid, I thought that because I own Horizons that I could land on planets in the 1.6 beta. Guess I'm waiting for the full release of Engineers to see the goods.

Wait, Engineers update allows you to land on more than just airless planets?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't think anything was expected this year in terms of landing on more planet types except maybe Volcanic. This is a feature building year (again).

Yeah, volcanic landings are supposed to be in season 2 sometime, though no date has been set yet. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets pushed to S3.

AJLma

Holy mother of God, 600+ speed???? So small ships are about to become completely uncatchable by anything with a Class 4 thruster or above? That HAS to be a bug, it's just so extreme....

The way it should be IMO, an Eagle shouldn't be a threat to an Anaconda class ship, but it should be MUCH faster in a straight line if you want it to be. Give the Anaconda's larger weapons the range advantage to make it risky for an Eagle to get close.

The way it should be IMO, an Eagle shouldn't be a threat to an Anaconda class ship, but it should be MUCH faster in a straight line if you want it to be. Give the Anaconda's larger weapons the range advantage to make it risky for an Eagle to get close.

I'm thinking it will be a good thing. It seems like the variables of combat (speed, power, weapons, etc.) have expanded and have more extremes. While there are much faster ships now, making pursuit more difficult, there are also potentially much more powerful weapons.

Small ships should be only used for harassing large ships, but at great risk. Large ships shouldn't really be able to pursue them.

This makes deployed fighters that much more relevant once they're released, IMO. Prior to 2.1, their inclusion was kinda thought of as a joke, given how weak they currently are.

Lots of Obsidian vids:

The New Mission System - First Look
Engineers Bases and Planetary Surface Updates
Meeting your First Engineer - FSD Upgrades from the Fish Lady

Newsletter is out!

Beta access available for cheap (Horizons owners):

If you don’t already have beta access, Horizons owners can upgrade by visiting the Frontier store for only $9.99, €9.49, £6.99 or 562 Rubles.

Considering hopping on that.

Other than that, info on how the galactic simulation/factions are changing, but no sneak peak. New stream next week.

JambiBum

I mean I get why people think that the AI running away when their shields are down is annoying, but let's not act like most players don't do the same thing. While it is annoying to have to chase AI more, it actually makes sense that they would run when their shields are down.

As far as the engineer grind goes, as long as what some of those other posts are saying is true (different engineers require different things to level) then I'm fine with it. IF all engineers require that you have to craft so many mats to get anything done, then it'll be an issue.

DrBo42

I mean I get why people think that the AI running away when their shields are down is annoying, but let's not act like most players don't do the same thing. While it is annoying to have to chase AI more, it actually makes sense that they would run when their shields are down.

As far as the engineer grind goes, as long as what some of those other posts are saying is true (different engineers require different things to level) then I'm fine with it. IF all engineers require that you have to craft so many mats to get anything done, then it'll be an issue.

I think people tend to forget this is a game at the end of the day. Sure, NPCs running is a bit more realistic but instantly coming in for another attack at 1 ring of shields over and over absolutely isn't. It's not a fun mechanic for someone in a large ship to deal with. Nor is grinding module upgrades. Regardless, both are being addressed as they should be.

40 million for 1 mission. Holy shit. I can't believe those rewards will make it through to the final release.

I think it will.

I'm pretty sure this is their attempt to fix the mission "stacking" issue and the constant "Log out, switch to open/group/solo" to refresh the board.

If you can get 1 mission that equals the pay (and cargo space) of what use to be 10 missions you had to set logging in/out for 20 minutes to get, it save time and resources (both for the player and the server/backend)

This will also hopefully stop the seemingly never ending multiple NPC pursuit that chased you when you had multiple of the smuggling missions open.

I also notice none of those seem to be the "Instant Fail if Scanned" type which were universally hated.

Amazing! I need a high speed Eagle as well!
Woah, I need to get to Robigo anyway :D
=>
I'm thinking it will be a good thing. It seems like the variables of combat (speed, power, weapons, etc.) have expanded and have more extremes. While there are much faster ships now, making pursuit more difficult, there are also potentially much more powerful weapons.

Small ships should be only used for harassing large ships, but at great risk. Large ships shouldn't really be able to pursue them.

This makes deployed fighters that much more relevant once they're released, IMO. Prior to 2.1, their inclusion was kinda thought of as a joke, given how weak they currently are.
I second those two opinions as well! An Eagle should be able to be a threat for an Anaconda but it should be like playing Dark Souls. Intense fight without any mistake or it's instant kill from the Conda if it hits.

ah, he confirms that changing the hud color is messing with the portraits

DrBo42

Yeah, if we can upgrade our fighters with the Engineers I'm really hopeful for them. Even just equipping your fighters with the FSD lock mines would be insane. Multi-crew with some friends in a large ship, interdict a player and have your buddies deploy the fighters with some lock mines? Would be amazing.

Edit: Update from FD
Sarah Jane Avory (The AI Queen) said:
I'm changing the shield-down behavior, making AI ships more aggressive and fight more. They'll have a random chance to flee, but will flee until out of range or they fall inside your firing cone. They won't flee if your shield is down or low. Hopefully this should make people happier.
Praise be.

Hylian7

So we still can't store modules, or transport them in some form or fashion other than equipping them? Do I really have to make the 25 jump trip from my home system to the weapons engineer every time?

Does anyone have any vids of entering/exiting supercruise in 2.1? I keep hearing how it's close to seamless.

I have seen vids of dropping into orbital for engineer bases and those load times seem pretty long sometimes. Hope that's a kink they are working out.

So we still can't store modules, or transport them in some form or fashion other than equipping them? Do I really have to make the 25 jump trip from my home system to the weapons engineer every time?

It sounds like they're planning on doing this but it's not going to be in 2.1.

Hylian7

Does anyone have any vids of entering/exiting supercruise in 2.1? I keep hearing how it's close to seamless.

I have seen vids of dropping into orbital for engineer bases and those load times seem pretty long sometimes. Hope that's a kink they are working out.

It sounds like they're planning on doing this but it's not going to be in 2.1.

I haven't noticed a difference in SC.

Why does Frontier always go one step forward, but then forgets the other half of that step? :(

What is required to scan a nav beacon? I figured the ships standard scanners would do but I dropped out of supercruise and came within a few hundred meters of the nav beacon and nothing happened. Do you need a discover scanner for nav beacons?

frontieruk

What is required to scan a nav beacon? I figured the ships standard scanners would do but I dropped out of supercruise and came within a few hundred meters of the nav beacon and nothing happened. Do you need a discover scanner for nav beacons?

Why would you scan a nav beacon?

If it's crashed you need a data link scanner on your SRV

Yeah, it was supposed to help me find my assassination target in the system. It didn't do anything that I could tell. I still found the target the old way by scanning the ships in supercruise.

DrBo42

A discovery scanner defeats the purpose of needing to scan the nav beacon, it's an option if you don't have a scanner. Probably just broken in that system or bugged in general, haven't checked it out.

I think I know what I did. There is the nav beacon navigation target and there is the physical nav beacon. I was looking at the navigation target, not the actual nav beacon contact target.

akira28

My 20 million dollar souped up Federal Dropship was toasted...twice. No insurance. I am despondent and in a Sidewinder on the side of the road, thinking about life.

yes its raining.

akira28

What. Need a donation?

sure. thanks! how do you do that? I still have a Viper IV 85 light years away in 20 Opuichi I'm working my way towards and then going to figure out what to do from there.

the worst part was " ok, I have a couple hundred thousand left...lets be really really careful." So I attack an Eagle because my mission is to attack Federal Navy Authorities..this was the mission for my Federal Navy promotion to Petty Officer mind you(why?). I did this in a Conflict zone, and suddenly everything around me is trying to kill me. shields down, mass factor of 25, can't boost out in time. Power Distrubutor malfunction...familiar sound of cockpit glass breaking.

DrBo42

You know, I was really worried that their talk of "we've tried to future-proof our engine" was just bullshit, but they've been making great strides.

Yeah, visually they've been doing a good job. The network/instance limitations and terrain generation are the only real letdowns for me.

Yeah, visually they've been doing a good job. The network/instance limitations and terrain generation are the only real letdowns for me.

Yeah I'm still holding out for horizontal displacement. Especially since some of the hand crafted engineer bases DO have sheer cliff walls.

Hylian7

What's the rationale for not having sub-system jumps again? This system is one jump from the weapons engineer, and you need to bring him bounty vouchers. I looked for an RES system and this one looked great until I saw that distance from the entry point. I hate it when they do this.

Top Bottom