• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Person

So, once 2.1 goes live and we get station chatter, what will your callsign be in game?

The callsign is made up of the first three letters of your commander's name, so for example mine will be Mike Echo November:

aviation-alphabet-1.jpg

juliet alpha charlie

DrBo42

I wonder how many times I have to roll the dice just to get matching custom weapons, can't wait to have multicannons that run out of ammo at differing rates because I couldn't get the RNG to roll in my favour.

Oh my god. I didn't even think of that.

Multi cannons already often run out at different rates.

Some of y'all's complaints are really grasping here. Do we even know the range that RNG draws from? Do we know it its a significant roll difference or something minor? Do we know how easily obtainable materials are, to even judge how much of a grind it will be?

I'll be an optimist and say that crafting is just another way to make your ship feel like its "yours". If they do it right, you won't have OP or completely useless builds like there are in the game now. Ship build variety will increase and lead to more specialized roles.

I agree the focus on combat is a bit boring, considering combat is already the best aspect, but jeeeeeze...wait for beta before you unzip your pants and start dumping.

SmartBase

Oh my god. I didn't even think of that.

Better yet, how about lasers that heat up quicker than others?

Multi cannons already often run out at different rates.

Some of y'all's complaints are really grasping here. Do we even know the range that RNG draws from? Do we know it its a significant roll difference or something minor? Do we know how easily obtainable materials are, to even judge how much of a grind it will be?

I'm basing what I said off what's in the newsletter but even simple maths will tell you that a modest 2% increase in ROF over the course of expending 2000 rounds is going to drain one weapon long before another.

Obviously the huge grind ahead all depends on how difficult resources are to find but I'm not holding my breath.
I still want to be wrong

Again, multicannons TODAY drain at different rates if you are using gimballed due to targeting. Its a non issue and the least of concerns to be discussing or pointing out.

Just so that I'm clear and using multicannon upgrades as an example: I'm going to have to farm materials for

a.) each individual multicannon on a ship?

b.) each ship I own? (that is, the weapon you upgrade will be for that load-out on that ship alone but i can put it on as many hardpoints as I like).

c.) a single roll, after which I'll be able to buy the upgraded multicannons for every ship in my fleet?

Do we know the answer to that yet? For example, if I want to go with a 7 multicannon Anaconda, I guess and a 7-multicannon Federal Gunship with the thermal upgrade, I guess I want to know if I'm going to be farming materials x 14 (one for each hardpoint), 2x (one for each ship) or 1x (because it'll apply to every ship I want to put those multicannons on). Variant rerolls notwithstanding, of course.

LeBart

I get that. I'm sure moon roving can be zen for people. I'm just saying that it's not a game that really has any need for you to max out your ships with hours of grinding and re-rolling modules with the current content (besides PvP BiS builds). Usually when games introduce that in the rpg space they have difficult or specialized content to make it worth it.
What sort of content would you be happy with?

I'm happy with the amount of things you can tackle in the game right now, I think what it really needs isn't more stuff to do, it's refined mechanics and a lot more liveliness and personality, which is what 2.1 seems to be about.

If AI alone is really improved in 2.1, then to me they have more than justified the existence of custom builds. Good luck soloing haz res sites in a Vulture if the AI stops being so stupid.

frontieruk

That argumentation is not any bit better than Star Citizen's white knights calling everybody who dares criticise the game's direction, their approach, their exploding scope etc. "Dereck Smart".

Speaking of Derek Smart, did you see did you see the latest blog where he, Derek Smart, had taken it upon himself to actually get access to the financials of CIG next month? He bought back in to SC on the grey market soo he had a legal claim to to see them, Derek Smart is doing gods work right there...

DrBo42

What sort of content would you be happy with?

I'm happy with the amount of things you can tackle in the game right now, I think what it really needs isn't more stuff to do, it's refined mechanics and a lot more liveliness and personality, which is what 2.1 seems to be about.

If AI alone is really improved in 2.1, then to me they have more than justified the existence of custom builds. Good luck soloing haz res sites in a Vulture if the AI stops being so stupid.

It's mostly getting things to scale. Some sort of content for wings would be huge for me as I'm constantly wanting to get my friends back in.

The main point was there's nothing combat oriented that's hard enough to make that grind for the perfect modules/hard points engineer re-rolls worth it. This is assuming of course that the AI isn't massively improved.

On the missiom front, I really want to see some competently linked missions or missions that feel like they're accomplishing something. That's a combination of difficulty and adequate reward/feedback. If it's a state/status mission in a system going through quarantine, make it immersive. I never feel like I'm in a living galaxy. I always feel like I'm in a game with repeating npcs and a shitty background sim.

The main point was there's nothing combat oriented that's hard enough to make that grind for the perfect modules/hard points engineer re-rolls worth it. This is assuming of course that the AI isn't massively improved.

Yea there really has been 0 shown for PvE that would make bothering with Engineers worth the time or effort. And tbqh, I'm not sure what Frontier would be able to introduce to make it so. A really hard set of elite missions? But what would be the reward? It can't be money. Special unique skins? Unique variants of ships that allow you to peacock or otherwise show off your efforts and success in style? I think both would do quite nicely, actually. But yea money (cash payout) won't be a compelling enough reason for non PvPers to be bothered. Based on what they've shown so far, anyway. That said, I'll happily grind for a 10%-20% pitch rate increase in my Cutter. HAPPILY. For an enhanced power distributor as well while we're at it.

DrBo42

Yea there really has been 0 shown for PvE that would make bothering with Engineers worth the time or effort. And tbqh, I'm not sure what Frontier would be able to introduce to make it so. A really hard set of elite missions? But what would be the reward? It can't be money. Special unique skins? Unique variants of ships that allow you to peacock or otherwise show off your efforts and success in style? I think both would do quite nicely, actually. But yea money (cash payout) won't be a compelling enough reason for non PvPers to be bothered. Based on what they've shown so far, anyway. That said, I'll happily grind for a 10%-20% pitch rate increase in my Cutter. HAPPILY. For an enhanced power distributor as well while we're at it.

Oh boy. Good luck on that one.

Edit: Although fundamental changes like that would be very cool. It would almost be like car tuning to an extreme degree. A system like that could actually bring the small ships back into the fold if you could change hard points in exchange for something performance wise. Taking a ship like the Courier and building it to have a huge hard point underneath like it's an A-10. We'll never see that level of customization but it would be rad.

Pomerlaw

The AI is going to be a lot better in 2.1, at least high ranked ships. That has been said many times by Frontier.

On the missiom front, I really want to see some competently linked missions or missions that feel like they're accomplishing something. That's a combination of difficulty and adequate reward/feedback. If it's a state/status mission in a system going through quarantine, make it immersive. I never feel like I'm in a living galaxy. I always feel like I'm in a game with repeating npcs and a shitty background sim.

Chained and wing missions are still coming, but not in 2.1.

https://youtu.be/qgK4LjtPnkY

This probably went under most radars, but all the biggest Elite YouTubers got together and started doing a podcast. Cornelius, ObsidianAnt, and some others are in it.
Watching this in a bit. Perhaps while playing :D

BTW: playing with the rift and doing trading is booooring :( You cannot do something in parallel like you are able to, when playing without VR. Anyway, I'm trading and mining a bit right now :)

frontieruk

Hey guys. Just picked this up for XB1. Are there any benefits to playing Open Play vs Solo?

Open you can team up with other players... They can also kill you, neither can happen in solo so you only worry about AI and your own lack of piloting skills.

Hylian7

Hey guys. Just picked this up for XB1. Are there any benefits to playing Open Play vs Solo?

Open you can team up with other players... They can also kill you, neither can happen in solo so you only worry about AI and your own lack of piloting skills.

What he said. If you want something to spice up the experience, then you probably want Open. Although I've rarely been straight up attacked by players. Only in conflict zones.

Solo is probably best if you're learning the ropes, and also probably best in certain situations. One example is Resource Extraction Site farming, as the spawn tables don't change on re-instance, and you have to fight against other players (that probably have more powerful ships than you if you're just starting out) for bounties to claim.

Watching this in a bit. Perhaps while playing :D

BTW: playing with the rift and doing trading is booooring :( You cannot do something in parallel like you are able to, when playing without VR. Anyway, I'm trading and mining a bit right now :)
You could set the Rift as the default audio device and run a podcast through the speakers, at least. It ain't Netflix but it's something.

RedRum

Banned

What he said. If you want something to spice up the experience, then you probably want Open. Although I've rarely been straight up attacked by players. Only in conflict zones.

Solo is probably best if you're learning the ropes, and also probably best in certain situations. One example is Resource Extraction Site farming, as the spawn tables don't change on re-instance, and you have to fight against other players (that probably have more powerful ships than you if you're just starting out) for bounties to claim.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll flip between the two to vary my experience, but I can't help but feel too new in a game that's been out for quite some time.

frontieruk

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll flip between the two to vary my experience, but I can't help but feel too new in a game that's been out for quite some time.

I'll be honest, I was around the starting system this week, didn't see another human Commander.

E-flux

How many of you fly without shields? I have probably flown like that for four months or so, and i was upgrading my ship and i was trying to find space to place shields but i just couldn't remove any of my stuff because honestly, i haven't really needed them at all, chaffs and silent running has kept me safe from fights.

DrBo42

How many of you fly without shields? I have probably flown like that for four months or so, and i was upgrading my ship and i was trying to find space to place shields but i just couldn't remove any of my stuff because honestly, i haven't really needed them at all, chaffs and silent running has kept me safe from fights.

I did when I was a trader in the mid-tier ships to max the cargo. Got rammed by an NPC in the letterbox and lost 18 million. That was back in Premium Beta. Good times.

E-flux

I did when I was a trader in the mid-tier ships to max the cargo. Got rammed by an NPC in the letterbox and lost 18 million. That was back in Premium Beta. Good times.

It's a shame that npcs are still doing the whole ramming thing i got almost destroyed when i decided to check if that navpoint thing was implemented and got rammed by a trade vessel.

It's a shame that npcs are still doing the whole ramming thing i got almost destroyed when i decided to check if that navpoint thing was implemented and got rammed by a trade vessel.
Pretty sure I read that the scan and ram behavior is being addressed in 2.1's patch notes

Burny

Speaking of Derek Smart, did you see did you see the latest blog where he, Derek Smart, had taken it upon himself to actually get access to the financials of CIG next month? He bought back in to SC on the grey market soo he had a legal claim to to see them, Derek Smart is doing gods work right there...

No, I've long stopped following the while "Smart vs. Star Citizen" affair. The sentiment about financial transparency is not wrong though. As a backer financed project that is several years late and asks for sometimes outrageous sums for ships in the "jpg-stage" of development (all in the name of supporting SC of course *rollseyes*), Star Citizen could possibly build a lot of trust with backers if they released financial reports and showed openly that all the money is handled well. And of course, they could lose a lot of it, if it isn't.

But it's the "god's work" lunacy and his ego that undermines him. Nobody but the most blinded fans ought to argue that Star Citizen has not fallen victim to feature creep and the project as a whole probably sufferes from it. But that man's threat to sue them and his attempt to build the whole argument of Star Citizen being impossible on his experience with his own games...

frontieruk

No, I've long stopped following the while "Smart vs. Star Citizen" affair. The sentiment about financial transparency is not wrong though. As a backer financed project that is several years late and asks for sometimes outrageous sums for ships in the "jpg-stage" of development (all in the name of supporting SC of course *rollseyes*), Star Citizen could possibly build a lot of trust with backers if they released financial reports and showed openly that all the money is handled well. And of course, they could lose a lot of it, if it isn't.

But it's the "god's work" lunacy and his ego that undermines him. Nobody but the most blinded fans ought to argue that Star Citizen has not fallen victim to feature creep and the project as a whole probably sufferes from it. But that man's threat to sue them and his attempt to build the whole argument of Star Citizen being impossible on his experience with his own games...

I was under the impression he thought it was possible until the feature creep such as space court and hookers etc at that point it had got well beyond the scope of most games and had become a hype monster with no real hope to achieve its goals.

Along with the fact that Chris pushed on with trying to build a massive game using 32bit fpp when the guy's he'd hired to make the game will of known and probably told him this is a stupid idea we need 64bit fpp for your vision, tells me resources are squandered and I die a little inside whenever I pop in the SC thread to see people dropping hundreds of dollars on new ship renders.

derFeef

I read that Elite is not working right with the Vive? I planned to try Elite as my first seating game when my Vive arrives.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I read that Elite is not working right with the Vive? I planned to try Elite as my first seating game when my Vive arrives.

theres resolution and or mipmap filters missing which seems to be causing an issue with the game looking rougher on Vive then the Oculus that frontier is aware of..not sure when it will be addressed tho.

DrBo42

In case you didn't know, Engineers livestream has been moved from Thursday to today.

Possible beta tomorrow or Thursday I'm thinking.

Burny

I can't watch as I'm at work now, but please post any juicy details here!

I'm expecting more weapon engineer crafts though......but I'd love to finally be wrong! :D

Just said increased jump range, decreased fuel consumption, scanner modifications although no details on that.

Effect

Have they say how long the beta period will last?

Looking forward to playing again but told myself I wouldn't until 2.1 actually goes live.

imho too many good things for combat driven players :(

Missiles and Torpedos do not look good for traders (they penetrate all modules in a certain radius around the impact area). And so does the shield piercing weapon (can penetrate hull despite shield is up)

btw beta is divided into two parts. First part is with sped up reputation gain to test this part. Second part is called mayhem - everybody has access to all modules and changes without any cost.

DrBo42

imho too many good things for combat driven players :(

Missiles and Torpedos do not look good for traders (they penetrate all modules in a certain radius around the impact area). And so does the shield piercing weapon (can penetrate hull despite shield is up)

btw beta is divided into two parts. First part is with sped up reputation gain to test this part. Second part is called mayhem - everybody has access to all modules and changes without any cost.

That split sounds like a two week test.

DrBo42

Mass Lock Torpedo - Torpedo applies the effect of a very large ship nearby, slowing down jumps to supercruise.
Phasing Sequence Beam Laser - A small amount of damage bleeds through the shield onto the hull.
Shift Lock Cannister - This mine will restart your FSD, preventing a hyperspace jump.
The Dweller Base Approach and WIP Crafting - Approaching an engineer's base. The Dweller lives in Black Hide and can modify your weapons and modules... for a price. You'll also have to earn his trust.

That shift lock mine is real interesting. Would be a reason to bring a fast nimble ship in a wing. Traders are going to get absolutely fucked in this patch. Mass lock torps, missile bleed through shield to destroy modules, shift lock mines. You guys better bring some serious point defense/ECM modules that are upgraded. Good lord.

That RNG looks like it could be killer. In the example vid, module Integrity can be between 173 and 248 (he gets 181 :-|) and mass can be between 50 and 44.8 (he gets 48).

Tone that down a bit please FD thx

You guys better bring some serious point defense/ECM modules that are upgraded. Good lord.

Yeah, sounds like crafting will be a necessity even if you just want to survive. Hm.

EDIT: Watched a bit more. So Primary Effects are the main effects of the module (for instance, on the Burst Laser, its stuff like max range, DPS, damage, distributor draw, mass, and power draw). In the vid, he chooses to modify it to be a long range Burst Laser, increasing the range 31% at the expense of damage, distributor draw, and mass.

Then, the Secondary Effects have a chance of positively or negatively affecting the Primary Effects. So, one of his Secondary Effects is decreased Power Draw, which actually reduces his Power Draw below even the lowest original range of the mod.

His Special effect that he gets is Concordant Sequence, which causes weapon strikes with the laser to increase the regeneration rate of a wingman's shield, at the cost of increased heat generation.

Still not crazy about RNG, but if it doesn't feel cheap, I could see it being an interesting meta game. Still concerned about focus on combat so far, though.

DrBo42

That RNG looks like it could be killer. In the example vid, module Integrity can be between 173 and 248 (he gets 181 :-|) and mass can be between 50 and 44.8 (he gets 48).

Tone that down a bit please FD thx

Yeah, sounds like crafting will be a necessity even if you just want to survive. Hm.

Lol. The amount of re-rolls required will be absolutely absurd. They've managed to really outdo themselves with the grind. Haven't fully watched it yet, are the experimental effects all a random chance of being applied like to looked in the newsletter? Because even if you manage to get the perfect roll on a weapon, you might not get the effect you wanted or one at all. That's just way too many rolls. Rolls within rolls, grinds within grinds.

Lol. The amount of re-rolls required will be absolutely absurd. They've managed to really outdo themselves with the grind. Haven't fully watched it yet, are the experimental effects all a random chance of being applied like to looked in the newsletter? Because even if you manage to get the perfect roll on a weapon, you might not get the effect you wanted or one at all. That's just way too many rolls. Rolls within rolls, grinds within grinds.

Check my edits for more info.

I wish they gave you a choice of Special effect (from a loot table/pool). Like, the Concordant Sequence would be GREAT...if you consistently work with a wing. Otherwise, it sounds like its extra heat generation for nothing.

DrBo42

Check my edits for more info.

I wish they gave you a choice of Special effect (from a loot table/pool). Like, the Concordant Sequence would be GREAT...if you consistently work with a wing. Otherwise, it sounds like its extra heat generation for nothing.

Okay so Primary and Secondary rolls are completely separate. Are the special effects like Concordant Sequence part of the Secondary roll? Like I can get something with decreased Power Draw that I'm hoping for but get a weapon effect I don't want, so when I re-roll to get the special effect I want, I lose that perfect secondary effect?

Okay so Primary and Secondary rolls are completely separate. Are the special effects like Concordant Sequence part of the Secondary roll? Like I can get something with decreased Power Draw that I'm hoping for but get a weapon effect I don't want, so when I re-roll to get the special effect I want, I lose that perfect secondary effect?

Special is separate from Secondary. It seems a little unclear whether you can reroll individual effects (primary, secondary, special) or if all of them have to be rerolled. He never hits the "Try Again" button, so I'm not sure if that's a complete reroll or what.

Top Bottom