• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

What's the rationale for not having sub-system jumps again? This system is one jump from the weapons engineer, and you need to bring him bounty vouchers. I looked for an RES system and this one looked great until I saw that distance from the entry point. I hate it when they do this.
Either it should scale the rewards for distance traveled or they should establish a minimum distance before you are allowed to jump... I get that maintaining a sense of scale is important but it does get ridiculous at times

Jedi2016

I heard some rumblings a few months ago that they were thinking of implementing an in-system jump of some kind. Any word on that? Engineers would be a good way to implement that, I think.. make it some kind of an upgrade.

DrBo42

I heard some rumblings a few months ago that they were thinking of implementing an in-system jump of some kind. Any word on that? Engineers would be a good way to implement that, I think.. make it some kind of an upgrade.

They've mentioned micro jumps a few times. It's on the "We'd like to do that." list. No word on actual implementation.

Edit: Any exploration/prospecting players know where to find certain materials from the original release? Need to start finding some of the jumponium mats, (Arsenic first) to craft some of these FSD upgrades from Farseer. Have no idea where to look. Farseer's planet has been no luck so far. Not sure why we don't have some sort of survey scanner to know what element types are on a planet.

Jedi2016

Materials have been pretty random from what I've seen. I tend to do most of my material collecting on High Metal Content planets, but honestly, the drops are about the same as they are on everything else, even Ice worlds.

That is something I'd like to see them improve. Grinding should never be a gameplay goal, especially for consumables. I spend enough time on exploration, I don't want to have to stop exploring so I can run around the surface of a planet for four hours until I find the one rock I'm looking for.

DrBo42

Materials have been pretty random from what I've seen. I tend to do most of my material collecting on High Metal Content planets, but honestly, the drops are about the same as they are on everything else, even Ice worlds.

That is something I'd like to see them improve. Grinding should never be a gameplay goal, especially for consumables. I spend enough time on exploration, I don't want to have to stop exploring so I can run around the surface of a planet for four hours until I find the one rock I'm looking for.

For sure. It was "okay" when the mats were for the very much optional synthesis. With the crafting system requiring some of the same mats it really makes it frustrating. Still technically optional but feels far less so when it comes to keeping your ship relevant compared to NPCs and other players.

In any case Deciat 1 ended up having some Arsenic and Vanadium. That's a metal-rich body in the Farseer engineer system.

Edit: Looks like another shield generator Engineer has been discovered.

Screenshot_0000.png

Burny

Edit: Any exploration/prospecting players know where to find certain materials from the original release? Need to start finding some of the jumponium mats, (Arsenic first) to craft some of these FSD upgrades from Farseer. Have no idea where to look. Farseer's planet has been no luck so far. Not sure why we don't have some sort of survey scanner to know what element types are on a planet.

The only thing I remember hearing somewhere, is that one can find other materials than normally on a planet at asteroid craters. I would generally try to look there. It would make some sense logically. Such an impact ought to blast deep into the surface and throw up a lot of material which would normally be hidden beneath. In addition to whatever material the asteroid was made of.

DrBo42

The only thing I remember hearing somewhere, is that one can find other materials than normally on a planet at asteroid craters. I would generally try to look there. It would make some sense logically. Such an impact ought to blast deep into the surface and throw up a lot of material which would normally be hidden beneath. In addition to whatever material the asteroid was made of.

Hmm that's a good point.

Burny

More than a year ago, Sandro Sammarco (lead design) said on the forums that they'd like to add micro jumps between the suns in a system. And in Janyuary this year they spun some Galnet narration around an "innovative drive technology" on a previously lost wreck that might be reintroduced. Who knows whether that refers to micro jumps, but that's where my bets would be.

I don't think it ought to be an engineer upgrade though, but a general patch to all ships. This is a feature with the potential to save vast amounts of time otherwise spend staring blankly at the screen or alt-tabbing out. It's pure QoL and I don't think it should be behind an Engineer's grind-wall. ;)

That's just for reducing excessive supercruise times though. I'd still like to see some form of gate-network. :p

Driving in the SRV in VR is definitely a strange sensation. I didn't make me sick in the few minutes I did it but it was definitely the most odd I felt. I'm not a person that gets motion sickness but I imagine someone who does will have trouble with that. The disconnect between seeing myself bounce around but not feeling it in my body is very apparent.

Jedi2016

I don't think it ought to be an engineer upgrade though, but a general patch to all ships. This is a feature with the potential to save vast amounts of time otherwise spend staring blankly at the screen or alt-tabbing out. It's pure QoL and I don't think it should be behind an Engineer's grind-wall. ;)
That makes me think of a way to help out with the grinding. Add some bit of code that says if you have an open mission for rare materials, maybe even specific to Engineer missions, then the drop rate for those particular materials goes up. So you still have to go through the motions, but it wouldn't take nearly as long as it would otherwise.

That's probably just wishful thinking, though.

On the plus side, I'm still circling the core 30,000ly away... we'll have a complete list of all engineers, all upgrades, and all material requirements long before I get back. Plenty of time to collect materials on the way back and decide what sort of upgrades I need, and for which ships.

JambiBum

Driving in the SRV in VR is definitely a strange sensation. I didn't make me sick in the few minutes I did it but it was definitely the most odd I felt. I'm not a person that gets motion sickness but I imagine someone who does will have trouble with that. The disconnect between seeing myself bounce around but not feeling it in my body is very apparent.

The one thing that I've noticed with Elite and VR is that I'm perfectly fine rolling and flipping when I'm in space, but the moment I start to do those things near a space station where I have a sense of a "floor" it makes me feel like I'm actually flying. I don't get motion sickness at all but I haven't tried driving an SRV yet but I think I might today to see how I feel about it. They do have an option that makes your character blackout if you are moving too fast in the SRV though in order to combat the motion sickness. I'm pretty impressed with all of the VR options they have and it makes me pretty excited for the new nvidia cards that are more focused towards VR.

akira28

Try a planetary ring asteroid field in VR.

try a dogfight with a wing of fighters in an planetary ring in VR. The missiles they shoot hit the rocks, you can hide behind the rocks, etc.

I have been experimenting with the 3D separation and focal distance settings to try to get an idea of what they do and one of the settings really makes the vr field wrap around you, almost making you feel like you're in a slightly claustrophobic cabin.

Jedi2016

Either there's some kind of glitch going on there, or he had previously pissed off those NPCs and only showed us the end of the fight. I've never had that many NPCs attack me before, even in all-out combat zones.

DrBo42

Well I would of been looking to jump out or get a bearing on the npc a lot quicker, it almost looked like the Cmdr had no idea what was going on

Yep. He was looking to high wake but after some real pilot errors. He switched from all pips in shields to weapons while turning, then the rest ganged up on him and absolutely murdered those shields. I would have been getting out of mass lock asap as soon as I saw 4 contacts go red. Haha.

DrBo42

Sold my huge multicannon with corrosive rounds and bought a Cutter. That same modded multicannon was in the buyback. Bless FD, thank god that worked.

Hylian7

So here's something I'm still unclear on: Do you have to have cargo racks to carry loot? For instance, there's an engineer that requires Mechanical Scrap, Filament Composites, and Electrochemical Arrays to make a certain module. Do those things take up cargo rack space (meaning I can't get them on my FDL), or do they go like the materials, where you just have an "Inventory" and it doesn't take up space?

DrBo42

So here's something I'm still unclear on: Do you have to have cargo racks to carry loot? For instance, there's an engineer that requires Mechanical Scrap, Filament Composites, and Electrochemical Arrays to make a certain module. Do those things take up cargo rack space (meaning I can't get them on my FDL), or do they go like the materials, where you just have an "Inventory" and it doesn't take up space?

If they're listed as a commodity you need a cargo rack. Materials act as you'd expect.

Hylian7

If they're listed as a commodity you need a cargo rack. Materials act as you'd expect.
Okay, the only thing I still find confusing is what happened when I took my SRV to a wrecked ship. There were two commodity canisters, nothing special, but then there was also a Cargo Rack just sitting there. I couldn't pick it up in the SRV's cargo scoop, and unfortunately didn't get to try it from my ship because it was too dark on that side of the planet to find from my ship.

DrBo42

Okay, the only thing I still find confusing is what happened when I took my SRV to a wrecked ship. There were two commodity canisters, nothing special, but then there was also a Cargo Rack just sitting there. I couldn't pick it up in the SRV's cargo scoop, and unfortunately didn't get to try it from my ship because it was too dark on that side of the planet to find from my ship.

Cargo racks you have to shoot open.

JambiBum

So I haven't touched the beta at all and I'm wondering if someone that has could do a quick write up on important things to keep in mind/do once it hits main client. I realize that what Engineer you visit depends on what you want to add to your ship and who has invited you, but other than that I honestly don't know much about 2.1.

DrBo42

So I haven't touched the beta at all and I'm wondering if someone that has could do a quick write up on important things to keep in mind/do once it hits main client. I realize that what Engineer you visit depends on what you want to add to your ship and who has invited you, but other than that I honestly don't know much about 2.1.
Burny made a big feature post a while back.

Loot from ships, scavenging sites, mining, via scanning and high wake scans. Data point hacking is a source as well.

Scanning a USS in super cruise reveals what kind of signal it is.

Discovery scanner or scanning physical nav beacon reveals where your mission is in system. Gives a planetary body to check area for USS. Mission USS will be revealed upon scan of correct signal source. If your mission is a surface POI, scanning the body reveals location on surface.

Ice ring mining

Surface ships protecting bases/general patrols

Quick police response time

That's pretty much it other than Engineers and bulletin board changes in terms of important changes.

Hylian7

I know they aren't technically police/Internal System Security, but it's kind of annoying that the stuff like Alliance Enforcers patrol in the Hazardous RES. Those guys are effectively cops, just getting people that aren't of the right power there.

Pomerlaw

Burny made a big feature post a while back.

Loot from ships, scavenging sites, mining, via scanning and high wake scans. Data point hacking is a source as well.

Scanning a USS in super cruise reveals what kind of signal it is.

Discovery scanner or scanning physical nav beacon reveals where your mission is in system. Gives a planetary body to check area for USS. Mission USS will be revealed upon scan of correct signal source. If your mission is a surface POI, scanning the body reveals location on surface.

Ice ring mining

Surface ships protecting bases/general patrols

Quick police response time

That's pretty much it other than Engineers and bulletin board changes in terms of important changes.

Much better AI
Better graphics

DrBo42

Reminder, livestream in 10 minutes or so.

"On today's livestream we'll be going through the basics in the Engineers Beta, answering some questions from the forum and talking about the changes we're implementing based on your amazing feedback already!"

https://www.youtube.com/frontierdevelopments/live

Edit: Live now. Mayhem phase is already active apparently.

- Hints will be added for where to find each material at the engineer's base. "Interrogation" of materials.

- Lower grade materials are being consolidated so there aren't so damn many. Therefore giving you access to more low grade upgrades using the same mats.

- Changes to pirates wanting your limpets are coming

Beta 3 changelog from this morning:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=248993

- Double amount of micro resource inventory capacity from 300 to 600 on physical and 100 to 200 on data

Hyperspace changes (photosensitivity/epilepsy warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyI5qzKnSs

- Hyperspace is now much bigger to accommodate large ships
- Passing lens flares now fade in rather than 'pop'
- Added more distant stars to create a sense of depth
- Reduced the frequency of nebula models
- Added an extra light

Back to work.

DrBo42

This guy got jump range up to 50ly in beta.

Holy shit, seven Force Shell cannons looks like insanity. Nevermind that it took him so long to actually kill the thing :) Source

I think Kornelius did the math(s) and the top FSD range upgrade nets you around 7 ly bonus. That's not counting rolling decreased mass for the rest of your modules and hardpoints. I think we'll see some interesting ranges for a lot of the ships come this weekend. Although the percentage bonus applied is based on the base jump range so the smaller ships or ships with particularly bad ranges don't scale well. While the ships with great ranges scale far better.

Still looking for any evidence of pitch speed changes. Frontier said it was possible before the beta launch.

That's not even the worst the cannon is going to be. The travel speed of rounds is being buffed and the falloff is being practically set to 0. If you hit something at range I think Sandro also said it does max damage or max effect.

RedSwirl

So if I were to ever upgrade to Horizons and start landing on moons and such way outside civilized space, what would I find there?

Would I still run into bases and other inhabited things, or just rocks to mine? I think they should have given explorers more reason to get Horizons, like landmarks or features to scan for more money.

So if I were to ever upgrade to Horizons and start landing on moons and such way outside civilized space, what would I find there?

Would I still run into bases and other inhabited things, or just rocks to mine? I think they should have given explorers more reason to get Horizons, like landmarks or features to scan for more money.

you'd find crafting materials. that's about it.

Any word on the VR Vive fix?

Really want to play this in VR.

work in progress.

Hylian7

For some reason, it's making me redownload the beta. I had to launch the launcher from the directory rather than through steam to get to upgrade to it.

Burny

50ly jump range Exploraconders, 700m/s boost speed Imperial Couriers...

I have the slightest of suspicions that "The Engineers" update will shift around previous max values and the whole meta substantially. Might be the biggest of the Horizons updates, even if the headline feature is so much less flashy than ship launched fighters or multicrews.

The Season 1/Horizons balance is being thrown out of the window though. Not that I mind much, as I'd rather have the game move on than forcefully try to keep a balance for players not eligible to use substantial features. But it's something to keep in mind as a season 1 player without Horizons. PvP against Engineer customized builds might not be balanced anymore.

Hylian7

So I'm confused, is this a VR game or not?

Basically, you can play perfectly fine without VR. There's controls you can set up to turn your head in game, and you can even use a headtracking device such as TrackIR. If you do have a VR device, even better. I play without VR and I use headtracking.

DrBo42

50ly jump range Exploraconders, 700m/s boost speed Imperial Couriers...

I have the slightest of suspicions that "The Engineers" update will shift around previous max values and the whole meta substantially. Might be the biggest of the Horizons updates, even if the headline feature is so much less flashy than ship launched fighters or multicrews.

The Season 1/Horizons balance is being thrown out of the window though. Not that I mind much, as I'd rather have the game move on than forcefully try to keep a balance for players not eligible to use substantial features. But it's something to keep in mind as a season 1 player without Horizons. PvP against Engineer customized builds might not be balanced anymore.

Don't think that's a question at this point. If you don't have Horizons, you'll eventually be at a huge disadvantage in combat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Currently in live the only things you find on planets out of the bubble are material nodes, crashed nav beacons, and wrecked SRV's. They are all over the galaxy. After 2.1 the only thing you will find are material nodes, no more POI's anywhere outside of the bubble.

So essentially there is....nothing, for explorers on planet surfaces in deep space. :(

That's a statement all of it's own on what little priority exploration is to the devs.....

JambiBum

Decided to grind out the last few fed ranks I needed for the Corvette before 2.1 hits. Thank goodness I'm done with that. I didn't mind progressing through the ranks naturally before (even though it did take a while) but grinding the last few out through donation missions was a real chore.

The donation missions are easy enough with having to go in and out of solo and open, but the rank up missions were a pain in the ass. Had to do the whole signal source searching garbage in systems that had no life so they didn't show up very often. At least I'm done with that now and finally have my Corvette.

DrBo42

Decided to grind out the last few fed ranks I needed for the Corvette before 2.1 hits. Thank goodness I'm done with that. I didn't mind progressing through the ranks naturally before (even though it did take a while) but grinding the last few out through donation missions was a real chore.

The donation missions are easy enough with having to go in and out of solo and open, but the rank up missions were a pain in the ass. Had to do the whole signal source searching garbage in systems that had no life so they didn't show up very often. At least I'm done with that now and finally have my Corvette.
Congrats.

Don't think that's a question at this point. If you don't have Horizons, you'll eventually be at a huge disadvantage in combat.

I can't recall--did they confirm that crafted modules have a chance of being mission rewards?

You'd still be at a big disadvantage if you don't own Horizons, of course.

Top Bottom