• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

My solution was always data points at low security single + bases. The more + it has, the larger the base size and pain in the ass it is to collect them all. There are some new USS too like High Encoded or something like that and some sort of combat aftermath USS.

They show up as uss near earthlike planets. Usually end up scanning a satelite or something like that.

Not done this myself but you get them from scanning Data Points at settlements. This video talks about settlements. The Data Point part of it is toward the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbOgK-c2Ss

tyvm, gentlemen. I'll check out some settlements first, and look for earth-like planets if the surface plan doesn't work out after awhile.

really appreciate it.
I just went from a Viper Mk4 to a Diamondback Exp... OH MY GOD I CAN LOOK AROUND AGAIN . Actual view out the sides and straight up!

Wait until you get an Asp!

Jedi2016

What kind of scanner do you need for the new materials display for planet surfaces? The only ship I have with any scanners is my Asp, but I don't want to use it for material collection, and I'll need to know what to buy for my other ships.

DrBo42

What kind of scanner do you need for the new materials display for planet surfaces? The only ship I have with any scanners is my Asp, but I don't want to use it for material collection, and I'll need to know what to buy for my other ships.

Detailed surface scanner.

Truant

I sooo want to play this game, but my space/astrophobia is reaching critical levels just watching Elite videos online. The one with the supermassive black hole is seriously freaking me out.

eifer

I sooo want to play this game, but my space/astrophobia is reaching critical levels just watching Elite videos online. The one with the supermassive black hole is seriously freaking me out.
The first time you drop in next to a dwarf star... Holy shit

I think it's time for me to give the engineers a shot.

Making the 25 jump trek to "Blaster" right now myself.

Haha jumping in to a system and having a star engulf your view was pretty terrifying to me for a while.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Haha jumping in to a system and having a star engulf your view was pretty terrifying to me for a while.

Whats far worse is jumping into a star only to be greeted by three stars all orbiting each other right in front of and around you! Your ship's temperature starts climbing instantly and you are in a fast race to get out of there now before you cook your ship apart. It's happened twice to me while exploring, and it's always a butt clenching moment.

DrBo42

Spent an hour and collected enough mats for 5 grade 4 fsd rolls on my Cutter and then 4 grade 5s. Ended up with about 25.8 ly range on it fully combat fitted. Not too shabby. Was relatively painless compared to previous implementation of engineers. Still not great but at least progress is being made.

Think ultimately I'll strip the ship down and try and make an exploration build. Wish we had more options for ships in that area. Really want a new dedicated large exploration vessel from FD. Dedicated and multi-crew with new mechanics for exploration.

JoeMartin

Spent an hour and collected enough mats for 5 grade 4 fsd rolls on my Cutter and then 4 grade 5s. Ended up with about 25.8 ly range on it fully combat fitted. Not too shabby. Was relatively painless compared to previous implementation of engineers. Still not great but at least progress is being made.

Think ultimately I'll strip the ship down and try and make an exploration build. Wish we had more options for ships in that area. Really want a new dedicated large exploration vessel from FD. Dedicated and multi-crew with new mechanics for exploration.

I can't see a large ship getting more dedicated than the Anaconda, it already has the longest jump range in the game.

Reckheim

These engineers aint too bad.

gWoFCrz.jpg

Not equipped for exploration and it wasnt even that good of a roll.

Just got the game (Elite Dangerous) yesterday and ive been playing it a bit!

I'm thinking about going into the Bounty Hunting profession but I also want to ask if you guys have any tips or whatnot for someone who just started.

I just finished the first mission they give you, and another Boom Data mission.

Just got the game (Elite Dangerous) yesterday and ive been playing it a bit!

I'm thinking about going into the Bounty Hunting profession but I also want to ask if you guys have any tips or whatnot for someone who just started.

I just finished the first mission they give you, and another Boom Data mission.

Just recently started too. Easiest money is to mooch off of bounties. Find a system with ringed planets that will have resource extraction sites. Don't go to low or hazardous ones. Once you are there start scanning for wanted people and just wait till they get into a fight with security ships. Once they do start shooting and keep a distance so they don't target you. You should be raking in money with this.

Easiest way is to wait till the security Anacondas and follow them. Bigger the ships you can push 120k per bounty.

Jedi2016

Oh, yeah. Don't try that if you're just starting out, though.. you'll need a ship that can go toe-to-toe with the big boys before you start raking in the credits. Still, I would say the comparative profit is probably about the same. For a player just starting out, making 100k in a RES is pretty good money.

Skyzard

Banned
Alright, season pass for horizons is pretty cheap and after watching the NMS leak stream yesterday it got me in the mood for space again. At the very least some awesome dogfights. Back in, at the very least to chip in some support for future work, I had a good time with this before.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
So how does this rate on the PS4? I don't have a gaming PC, but I see that the game is available on the PS4 and it's interested me for some time.

jond76

Banned
So how does this rate on the PS4? I don't have a gaming PC, but I see that the game is available on the PS4 and it's interested me for some time.

Pretty sure it hasn't been announced for PS4. I even looked on the store and didn't see it. You have a screen shot of it? That would be some stealth release.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
Pretty sure it hasn't been announced for PS4. I even looked on the store and didn't see it. You have a screen shot of it? That would be some stealth release.

Maybe I am thinking XB1. Pretty sure ED is out on that platform. Sorry for the confusion.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Alright, season pass for horizons is pretty cheap and after watching the NMS leak stream yesterday it got me in the mood for space again. At the very least some awesome dogfights. Back in, at the very least to chip in some support for future work, I had a good time with this before.

At the very least, despite the many issues that Elite has, one thing that it does have in spades is great space combat. It's just done really, really well. It's past time for them to branch out and improve other areas of the game to bring it all up to the same level.

zorbsie

Are plasma accelerators good? Watched a video where some guy was destroying NPCs with it. But video was from 2015. Not sure if they changed them drastically since then. Was thinking of switching my 4A beam laser with a 4A PA on my Anaconda. Good idea?

I am really curious how No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous will compare to each to other as it would likely be one or the other for me.

I haven't played NMS (I've watched some streams though) and they strike me as two different games with two different goals that share some similarities.

Don't think there is a good way to compare the two.

E-flux

I wish that there were some different cockpit setups for yokes or double joysticks and stuff like that, would be a nice touch to be able to change them, and it would kinda make more sense for me to fly some freighter with a yoke.

I am really curious how No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous will compare to each to other as it would likely be one or the other for me.

They seem like two different games with the same core. They are both clearly have space sim DNA but go about it in different ways. I've been enjoying E:D for awhile now, but I'm looking forward to diving into NMS for a different experience.

Engineer love for explorers to improve FSD distances and boot times are great and all.

Now gimme an engineer that will let surface scans go faster and from a farther distance.

Also an engineer that will remove my OCD so I don't have to scan every damn thing on my way to Jaques.

Trouble

Banned
Engineer love for explorers to improve FSD distances and boot times are great and all.

Now gimme an engineer that will let surface scans go faster and from a farther distance.

Also an engineer that will remove my OCD so I don't have to scan every damn thing on my way to Jaques.

You need to wait for the "Psychiatrists" update.

Are plasma accelerators good? Watched a video where some guy was destroying NPCs with it. But video was from 2015. Not sure if they changed them drastically since then. Was thinking of switching my 4A beam laser with a 4A PA on my Anaconda. Good idea?

they are amazing good but they run hot. hotter than rails. they're also very hard to land at first. you get used to it, though. and it always feels good to land them.

Been out of the game for awhile, but I've got a fully stocked pulse Vulture ready for combat and around $40M in the bank on top of that from my work last year.

What should I know about the major changes jumping back in? Is my fully combat loaded vulture still a bounty machine?

Burny

I wish that there were some different cockpit setups for yokes or double joysticks and stuff like that, would be a nice touch to be able to change them, and it would kinda make more sense for me to fly some freighter with a yoke.

Ha! :p Tell me about it. Before I got Elite, so my shiny new X52 Pro wouldn't be unused due to the broken mess that was Star Citizen in 2014 and is today, I didn't even know there were different ships in Elite. A couple of glances at some alpha or beta screenshots back then seemed to mostly show the same cockpit and holo UI.

In the end though, I can arrange better with a single unified, functional and working cockpit layout than a greater variety of unfinished or dysfunctional flashy ones.

I can't seem to get this game to install! Everytime I try to use the Elite Dangerous Launcher to install the game it gets stuck downloading the game. The download will start fine before reaching a certain percentage of completion before stopping, in which case the only way to restart the download is to delete EDL and try to reinstall it. Now that only happens when I select "alternate download method" from the option menu. If I leave the launcher on its default settings it will just give me an error saying file validation error then some random filename.

Anyone out there have this problem and manage to find a solution? I checked Google already and couldn't seem to find a solution that worked.

TheTrain

So, i'm in Atlantis, inside the Empire territory, and here I've found a station with Black Market. First time since the Alpha of this game that I see it in an imperial station.
Now i'm grindind rep with the faction over there, after almost two weeks I can safely say that the mission system is in a really good shape right now
Yesterday i was looking vid from the alpha of Elite, dem memories.
What can we expect from the Gamescom btw? Avatar commander and all the coop stuff?

DrBo42

So, i'm in Atlantis, inside the Empire territory, and here I've found a station with Black Market. First time since the Alpha of this game that I see it in an imperial station.
Now i'm grindind rep with the faction over there, after almost two weeks I can safely say that the mission system is in a really good shape right now
Yesterday i was looking vid from the alpha of Elite, dem memories.
What can we expect from the Gamescom btw? Avatar commander and all the coop stuff?

Not too sure on exact details but we're safely expecting footage and reveals from 2.2.

Finally upgraded to a Vulture from a D-Back exp. Love the Vulture so far, so much fun to fly and has good visibility. Biggest problem I had was a big bounty mission to complete but I kept getting interdicted by a player in a FDL in the target system. I was barely upgraded so I stood no chance.

joecanada

sooo... finally got around to loading this up picked it up in steam sale. why did I wait? exactly the wing commander itch I needed.... so naturally I have a lot of noob questions: although it wasn't as hard as I was expecting from reading reviews - wing commander maybe prepared me.

1. why wouldn't you get an auto docking computer? I mean I don't mind the flying but this is just too easy.

2. Do I have to buy insurance, where do I find it? I'm scared.

3. how is online? I have only been playing solo to start out get some practice in.

4. does it matter what you do for jobs? I have been happy poaching wanted bounties and getting 3-10k per bounty seems alright (poaching from the space cops)... also how do you pick up scanner data? I have been searching for lost data in a system but have no clue what I am doing lol.

5. should I pick up cargo even in my sidewinder just because? I was thinking of avoiding pirates by leaving cargo empty for now.

6. upgrade sidewinder initially or just save for cobra right away?

7. controller - I feel great using it, will this hamper me in the long run? the mapping is great like for instance I have silent running and ship lights on diagonal up and down on d-pad, a controller does have enough inputs if you are creative and they let you I find.

thanks in advance!

Noobcraft

That was what I spent the most money on. I got a 6B fuel scoop. I'm usually done scooping after about 20 seconds. Good to know you got that much in nav data. Where you scanning every planet or was this with just a quick scan of the system?
Scan of the system and a scan of the Star. I didn't bother scanning/visiting most planets

jond76

Banned
sooo... finally got around to loading this up picked it up in steam sale. why did I wait? exactly the wing commander itch I needed.... so naturally I have a lot of noob questions: although it wasn't as hard as I was expecting from reading reviews - wing commander maybe prepared me.

1. why wouldn't you get an auto docking computer? I mean I don't mind the flying but this is just too easy.

2. Do I have to buy insurance, where do I find it? I'm scared.

3. how is online? I have only been playing solo to start out get some practice in.

4. does it matter what you do for jobs? I have been happy poaching wanted bounties and getting 3-10k per bounty seems alright (poaching from the space cops)... also how do you pick up scanner data? I have been searching for lost data in a system but have no clue what I am doing lol.

5. should I pick up cargo even in my sidewinder just because? I was thinking of avoiding pirates by leaving cargo empty for now.

7. controller - I feel great using it, will this hamper me in the long run? the mapping is great like for instance I have silent running and ship lights on diagonal up and down on d-pad, a controller does have enough inputs if you are creative and they let you I find.

thanks in advance!

1. personal preference. I like flying.

2. You don't buy it, just be sure you have 10% of the cost of you ship and you get the option to rebuy your loadout when you die.

3. I never run into too many people. I'm sure you'll see more people at community events.

4. That's the beauty: Do what's fun. Bounties are a good way to build some early cash. To scan stuff (ships, nav beacons, wakes) , just target it and let it run for 10 secs. You'll pull data, etc off of them.

5. You can carry some, and you always have the option to jettison if you get in a jam.

6. Eh, the goal is to buy the ship you want, but I would build some cash and practice on the sidewinder (since it's free to replace)

7. I play on Xbox so I use controllers. I like it.

Burny

A bit of both with a heavy bias to lose the Sidey as soon as you can. It's good for practise as it's freely replaced, but it's very lacking in all respects and upgrades get more expensive than the next best ship. It's only after the Sidewinder that the game opens up more.

joecanada

1. personal preference. I like flying.

2. You don't buy it, just be sure you have 10% of the cost of you ship and you get the option to rebuy your loadout when you die.

3. I never run into too many people. I'm sure you'll see more people at community events.

4. That's the beauty: Do what's fun. Bounties are a good way to build some early cash. To scan stuff (ships, nav beacons, wakes) , just target it and let it run for 10 secs. You'll pull data, etc off of them.

5. You can carry some, and you always have the option to jettison if you get in a jam.

6. Eh, the goal is to buy the ship you want, but I would build some cash and practice on the sidewinder (since it's free to replace)

7. I play on Xbox so I use controllers. I like it.

Thanks to both who responded. Do you mind sharing if you changed Xbox controls any if I looked them up online. Did you customize any? I added a bunch to pc just figured why not like RB + LB - full stop for example ... I figure controllers have a ton of buttons if u think about it so why not . Using x1 controller.

Top Bottom