• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Effect

Going to try exploring again but curious as to which ship to take. I right now have a Cobra Mark III that has served me pretty well but if I go out further I figure I should switch to something else. Of the two, the Asp Explorer and the Diamondback Explorer, which one would be better for the long range trips?

Are there any chances of coming across long stations the further you go out that simply aren't on the map? Or is there just nothing out there like that?

Reckheim

Going to try exploring again but curious as to which ship to take. I right now have a Cobra Mark III that has served me pretty well but if I go out further I figure I should switch to something else. Of the two, the Asp Explorer and the Diamondback Explorer, which one would be better for the long range trips?

Are there any chances of coming across long stations the further you go out that simply aren't on the map? Or is there just nothing out there like that?

Once you go ASP explorer you never go back, best ship in the game (imo). Really good for exploring as well.

once you get out to 1000 LY out you wont see any stations at all, except for Jacques station, but you randomly finding it is extremely unlikely.

Reckheim

Always one step forward and then tripping over their shoelaces as usual I see...

To be honest they haven't promised space legs for Horizons. In any case that would be a huge undertaking and would be probably reserved for the next expansion (or maybe even the 4th one).

According to frontier you will be able to create your own character in Horizons (even tho I have no idea what purpose that will have)

Hylian7

To be honest they haven't promised space legs for Horizons. In any case that would be a huge undertaking and would be probably reserved for the next expansion (or maybe even the 4th one).

According to frontier you will be able to create your own character in Horizons (even tho I have no idea what purpose that will have)

They haven't "promised" a lot of things, but you would think some of these things would be given with what they come with. They have models and faces for Engineers, but character creator doesn't come til later? They have passengers, but no walking in your ship?

More importantly, you can have mutliple ships and no module storage or ship delivery? Come on Frontier...

Reckheim

You know they found Jaques, right? I was just there yesterday.

yeh, but if he is just going to randomly point to a location and go, he'll never find it (or very unlikely).

Also from what I have been hearing from lavecon Jacques is going to be the starting to be the point of a second human bubble in the galaxy.

Serrato

What do you guys think is going to be announced at GamesCom? It does sound like they're redoing station interiors/adding more. Maybe they're closer to getting us walking around stations than I thought.

Has everyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xW240lJ30&t=1m

ZaYSksn.png

Someone put that sound in a spectograph and got an image like this...

It's kinda cool they put something like this in the game for Detectives Internet guys to find it. Maybe.

DrBo42

It's kinda cool they put something like this in the game for Detectives Internet guys to find it. Maybe.

Yeah, the Canonn research players are going nuts. Fascinating to watch them attempt to solve it.

That feeling when a material is supposed to be "common" and is essential for a recipe that requires 2 of them but you've only gotten one in 400 mat drops.

DrBo42

They seem to be convinced whatever the map is, it represents Merope 5C. Hopefully they're right and not just forcing their data to match where they want it to be.

What do you guys think is going to be announced at GamesCom? It does sound like they're redoing station interiors/adding more. Maybe they're closer to getting us walking around stations than I thought.

Has everyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xW240lJ30&t=1m

Would be cool if they are building to a first contact scenario

They seem to be convinced whatever the map is, it represents Merope 5C. Hopefully they're right and not just forcing their data to match where they want it to be.
Woah, fascinating stuff. I love things like this.

DrBo42

I've seen this said before but I just recently started playing again. What is the problem with the engineers?
Too many different materials to collect, planet-based material spawn wildly inconsistent. Material drop numbers too low. RNG rolls still feel like they need to be slanted towards positives rather than negatives. Requirement of commodities with materials, thus needing cargo space and attracting nearly constant NPC attention. No storage for crafted modules/weapons or commodities for engineers. Rep gain with most engineers requires you to spend mats on garbage upgrades you don't want.

I think they're at least fixing drop numbers and adding the ability to scan a planet and see what materials can be found there in 2.2. Storage is coming at some point but doesn't look like it will make it to 2.2.

I'd say don't bother with Engineers until their fixes arrive with 2.2
Roger that. I picked up this 1080 almost exclusively to improve my ED VR experience and I thought it would be a good time to start farming mats. Turns out that the mats that only come from missions are like not as common as they are supposed to be. 300 mats or so in and I don't think I can do more than one roll of any of the upgrades on my list. What a fucking mess.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Too many different materials to collect, planet-based material spawn wildly inconsistent. Material drop numbers too low. RNG rolls still feel like they need to be slanted towards positives rather than negatives. Requirement of commodities with materials, thus needing cargo space and attracting nearly constant NPC attention. No storage for crafted modules/weapons or commodities for engineers. Rep gain with most engineers requires you to spend mats on garbage upgrades you don't want.

I think they're at least fixing drop numbers and adding the ability to scan a planet and see what materials can be found there in 2.2. Storage is coming at some point but doesn't look like it will make it to 2.2.

Thank you.

I did one upgrade with Felicity Farseer just to test out what the engineers were even all about. It looks like she will buy data to advance your rep. I take it not all the engineers will do that?

DrBo42

Thank you.

I did one upgrade with Felicity Farseer just to test out what the engineers were even all about. It looks like she will buy data to advance your rep. I take it not all the engineers will do that?

Exactly. Then even if you sell enough data to hit a decent grade you have to deal with all the other problems. Spending hours finding enough of those rare planet mats for a grade 5 fsd roll to have it be practically the same as your grade 4 is a real special feeling.

DrBo42

Thargoid mystery is getting kinda nuts. Farragut class capital ship was found above a barnacle site. Strange this was that the capital ship was repairing itself. When people started to check out the surface, eventually their modules started to malfunction. It seems that everyone in the proximity of Merope 5C is taking damage. Only people with a meta-alloy in their hold seem to be immune at this point. Canonn scientists are currently trying to find out what's going on...

Thank you.

Farseer is the one I started and ended on so far.

I've had no success finding more than one "Specialized Legacy Firmware". It's supposed to be available as part of mission contracts. I've seen it only once. Common it is not. Not for me. Best part, of course, is that drive tuning requires 2. So I simply can't do any of that at all.

Trouble

Banned
Thank you.

Different engineers have different alternate things you can do to advance rep. Some you can only advance by buying module upgrades.

For example I've been collecting Alliance bounties to turn in at McQuinn's base.

You can see what your options are here: http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Not sure if being 30,000 light years from civilization is a good thing or bad thing with all the alien stuff going on.

SmartBase

I think I finally found a way to motivate myself to get to Beagle Point, I just have to accept that I'm "exploring" for the Elite rank and that sweet Jameson Memorial access rather than hoping to find and interact with anything remotely interesting.

DrBo42

I think I finally found a way to motivate myself to get to Beagle Point, I just have to accept that I'm "exploring" for the Elite rank and that sweet Jameson Memorial access rather than hoping to find and interact with anything remotely interesting.
They were teasing adding something to the galaxy exploration wise. Maybe wait until GamesCom before you head out?

DrBo42

This is exactly why I haven't gone out as well. I miss the exploration tho.
No idea how people miss or enjoy the exploration in this game. Finding an earth-like is exciting I guess. It's kinda criminal they included nothing with landings on that front. Hope they let people do science and collect samples and take survey data etc at some point. Really is a frustrating game to play and follow the development of. It could be truly great but we're so far from what we need completed.

Reckheim

No idea how people miss or enjoy the exploration in this game. Finding an earth-like is exciting I guess. It's kinda criminal they included nothing with landings on that front. Hope they let people do science and collect samples and take survey data etc at some point. Really is a frustrating game to play and follow the development of. It could be truly great but we're so far from what we need completed.

Honestly, I have a pretty decent imagination and I kind of make my self imagine that there is more to it then there really is.

This might sound lame but when I was a kid I would look at the stars and wonder what kind of different planets they had orbiting them, and this game gives me the opportunity to find out just that; that's enough for me.

The money and or the rank is not important to me really.

It seems to me a game like No Man's Sky would suit you better (don't mean to offend you or anything, it just seems like a game that is a bit more fleshed out with a lot more to do)

JoeMartin

Honestly, I have a pretty decent imagination and I kind of make my self imagine that there is more to it then there really is.

This might sound lame but when I was a kid I would look at the stars and wonder what kind of different planets they had orbiting them, and this game gives me the opportunity to find out just that; that's enough for me.

The money and or the rank is not important to me really.

It seems to me a game like No Man's Sky would suit you better (don't mean to offend you or anything, it just seems like a game that is a bit more fleshed out with a lot more to do)

In the same boat and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. The game is what the community makes of it, and it absolutely fosters that sense of wonder for me.

I can't find it at the minute but there was a video I watched about a month back about the elite grind and why that grind is what you make it, and it really made me take another look at the game. I've been something near obsessed since.

E-flux

I kinda liked how EVE did the exploration with the probe interface where you had to send them to different spots around the system and manually change scanning ranges/frequencies that seemed like something that a space explorer would do. On a side note i ordered MFG rudder pedals, is anybody else using them?

Burny

On a side note i ordered MFG rudder pedals, is anybody else using them?

Yes. Superbe piece of kit! Hope you don't have to wait for too long. Haven't played anything for months though, so they are a bit underused currently. ;)

On another note: Gamescom is around the corner! Maybe we'll get a glimpse at what is to come in season three? Last year, Gamescom brought the Horizons announcement. Space legs announcement this year?

As much as I detest some of Elite's game design choices while relishing the pure joy of flying around in the game, I still find following its development rather enticing. They might just not be able to finish season 2 this year. Maybe Gamescom will just bring a general timetable for the rest of season 2 and nothing about seasson 3? That would be disappointing, imo. But they haven#t shown much about the commander creator or multicrews and ship launched fighters. Considering Horizons owners have paid for all of it, the very least I would hope for is a glimpse of these features...

E-flux

Yes. Superbe piece of kit! Hope you don't have to wait for too long. Haven't played anything for months though, so they are a bit underused currently. ;)

On another note: Gamescom is around the corner! Maybe we'll get a glimpse at what is to come in season three? Last year, Gamescom brought the Horizons announcement. Space legs announcement this year?

As much as I detest some of Elite's game design choices while relishing the pure joy of flying around in the game, I still find following its development rather enticing. They might just not be able to finish season 2 this year. Maybe Gamescom will just bring a general timetable for the rest of season 2 and nothing about seasson 3? That would be disappointing, imo. But they haven#t shown much about the commander creator or multicrews and ship launched fighters. Considering Horizons owners have paid for all of it, the very least I would hope for is a glimpse of these features...

It's about a months wait, which is not bad since i'm currently traveling so the time is going to be flying by. I'm hoping that they will announce something that fleshes out the buildings and structures, i wish that the CQC areas would be somewhere in the game, i would love to fly around places like that without flight assist.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I’ve been on vacation for the past week, haven’t so much as read anything Elite related at all!

MENGY ALERT Question about the Formidine Rift and expanding on exploration in general. "We're looking to fill the galaxy with interesting things. Gamescom."MENGY ALERT

While I hope that actually means exploration content at last, it probably only means aliens shooting at us all over the galaxy. :(

Is Mengy the only gaffer in the 65k club? I certainly haven't done anything near that for exploration - don't like the idea of being out of the bubble that long.

I’m not sure, but I might be. My record distance from Sol is 65,427 lys:

zorbsie

Having serious issues plotting courses near Sagittarius A. I'm 10,000Ly away and plotting seems to hang at ~98%. The system slows down to a crawl. Can't abort it and the only way I've found that can stop it is to quit the game. I'm on XB1 if that helps. I've lowered my plot distance from 900Ly to 350Ly. There are still plotting issues but I can select other stars and start a new plot easier at 350Ly. Is this normal? I assume it's because of the amount of stars in the quadrant. Is there any work around?

Galactic Fork

Having serious issues plotting courses near Sagittarius A. I'm 10,000Ly away and plotting seems to hang at ~98%. The system slows down to a crawl. Can't abort it and the only way I've found that can stop it is to quit the game. I'm on XB1 if that helps. I've lowered my plot distance from 900Ly to 350Ly. There are still plotting issues but I can select other stars and start a new plot easier at 350Ly. Is this normal? I assume it's because of the amount of stars in the quadrant. Is there any work around?
That's a "feature" because there are so many stars. There is no work around really, but if you go a good 500 to 1000 ly up or down, you can get within 2 or 3 thousand ly before you have to go 1 system at a time.

Galactic Fork

Eh, it's the idea really. I rp it. Alone in deep space, ship not suited to land in atmospheres. Mainly I like finding cool configurations. Like two co-orbiting earthlikes, or landable planets freakishly close to the star (or better yet, stars) so they take up most of the sky. It's basically a cool screenshot hunt.

zorbsie

That's a "feature" because there are so many stars. There is no work around really, but if you go a good 500 to 1000 ly up or down, you can get within 2 or 3 thousand ly before you have to go 1 system at a time.

That's pretty much what I did. I also used the star filter on the galaxy map to only show 1 type of star. It helps with the clutter. I've manged to plot ~800Ly routes. Currently at 7,000Ly away. I really hope the 1 system at a time was just an exaggeration, not looking forward to that.

There is a trick to this and can make it a lot easier to plot routes in the core.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/151389-Route-Plotting-in-the-Core-an-explanation

Don't let the giant wall of text scare you, once you figure out your optimal distance you can plot pretty easily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Very interesting, there are some very strong “rumors” about some things we can expect to hear about at Lavecon from a poster Kerenn, who is there already and talks directly to FDev people from time to time in order to do interviews and such:

Just finished writing my Lavecon Sneak Peak :

Hello all.
I did not bother reading the 18 pages but here's what I've gathered at Lavecon from sources that will remain unknown as we had to intoxicate them a (fairly large) bit -damn do they hold their liquor- to get these tidbits out :

• We may see the ability to Synthesize Limpets. And maybe more.
• While we're speaking of limpets, there'll be a "Repair Limpet" working kind of like AFMU but you'll be able to fire it at other ships AND BETTER YET fix your own damn canopy.
• Player "Guilds" are coming (as in, message of the day thingies, private chat, officer chat... you know the drill). But before that happens, we'll see :

• better friend listing,
• better friend managing,
• better group listing,
• better group managing,
• "fleet" mechanisms...

• Extended duration for CGs (well, you know the Jaques one, right ?)
• A Heavy Bulk Trading Jaques CG first, to repair the station and get it running again. (currently active) ; then a Mining CG originating from Jaques to improve facilities.
• Frontier will "support" a player generated second human bubble starting around Jaques. They' won't be actually "doing" anything but follow the flow of what Players submit (I know our very own, very talented and very beautiful Olivia Vespera has submitted a request for CG and stuff) and see where it goes.

• As a side note, I had confirmation that Jaques was really planned to arrive in Beagle Point, and it's only when Frontier saw the UA Bombing happen that they thought "Hey, we could do something with this !". The person I spoke to was very happy with how things turned out and is keen on making it so...

• ... Frontier's end goal is to be less and less involved in how things pan out. BGS, Colonization, Stations Building... I would even dare to say they're aiming for some kind of Eve-Online thing.
• A Personal Captain's Log alike is coming in 2.2. (Zac already posted about this one).
• Adjustment to engineers materials : less rare, more loot (I think I've seen an official forum post about that one).
• Experimental Modules. See what they've done with weapons ? They're planning on making something similar with the other modules. Explosive Shields that damage internals in a small radius when depleted, anyone ?
• Asteroid Zecret Bazes. We've got space stations, we've got planetary bases... But we're not stopping here !
• Gamescom Gamescom Gamescom. Something about Gamescom. There might be a lot of hype about an announcement at Gamescom because during the Q&A there was one very interesting question where the Frontier Rep chuckled awkwardly like he was caught up by the surprise, and he looked at us with a sorry face and a wry smile to then whisper, as if it was an apology : "Gamescom... You'll know more at Gamescom."
• Beluga and Dolphin Luxury Liner are coming. When ? Soon(tm).
• Significant improvement to the Route Plotter. There was talk of setting up waypoints like if you want to go from Reorte to Riedquat - Heya Rifters ! - but want to do a quick detour on the way, or if you are planning a Sol-Achenar trip but really want to pass by Fuelum - heya Fuel Rats ! - on the way there. Also talks of chaining waypoints/bookmarks in 1KLY increments for those long treks - Heya SagA* Challengers ! - and there was a slight hint of maybe upping the 1kly plot limit...

Galactic Fork

Very interesting, there are some very strong “rumors” about some things we can expect to hear about at Lavecon from a poster Kerenn, who is there already and talks directly to FDev people from time to time in order to do interviews and such:

Ugh you lost me at "some kind of Eve-online thing."

There is a trick to this and can make it a lot easier to plot routes in the core.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/151389-Route-Plotting-in-the-Core-an-explanation

Don't let the giant wall of text scare you, once you figure out your optimal distance you can plot pretty easily.

Wow, that's pretty cool... Better than what I did.

Also... Your Username fits the naming scheme I've use for my ships in scifi games for 20+ years. My explorer vessel is the "Radioactive Tern."

Serrato

I guess that's why they aren't telling us anything lately + it takes a long time to get any info for the next huge patch.

IT might be because they did regret their decisions due to how the community reacted to it and decided to scrap a lot of BS and do a 180° on a lot of things.

If its the case, kudos to them. We'll see in the near future.
I hope.

Burny

Ugh you lost me at "some kind of Eve-online thing.

Quiet the contrary where I'm concerned - even though I'll hardly participate out of lack of time! They'll have to let go of their baby and let the players do the walking, because all they can do, really, to inhale some life into the galaxy, is spin a limited narration around alien contacts, manually spawn some events, manipulate NPC conversations to give hints about it and some such.

Eve is not just jackasses preventing people from entering their stations. It's also players driving and creating content. E.g. imagine a guild "controlling" their station with a limited shipyard. Give that guild opportunity to upgrade the shipyard in order to build bigger ships or restock sold out ships by having them both, truck resources to the station, as well as buy resources from other players, potentially by having control of the station's prices for wares. And in order to prevent players from being unchecked jackasses, leave ingame jurisdiction to the game. E.g. if a player of the controlling faction of the station gains a bounty, the station will attack that player just as it would any other while still granting access to any player of an opposing faction, as long as they don't have a bounty.

What you would end up with, is a strong incentive for guilds to maintain and upgrade their stations, as well as a mechanic that promotes actually trucking wares around for a higher purpose.

That leaves a whole lot of issues to be decided. How would station control be gained and how would it be changed? But those are the issues Frontier has to tackle in order to turn Elite from a nice space game with a lifeless background sim into something that lives. They ought to give player the tools for emergent content, otherwise the most emergent things that'll happen are fuel rats saving explorers and jackasses seal clubbing n00bs in sidewinders or randomly kill any community goal supporters. ;)

I'm also immensely happy that there is a mention of guilds coming. Thank to however caused that paradigm shift. People who cling to the notion that others shouldn't have the formal opportunity to form groups/guilds/clans in an online game, have imo no business making and selling an online game. Braben sometimes very much sounded like he was afraid to introduce such features out of fear of the implications. But that's like Nintendo clinging to friend codes. People having experienced better online features aren't exactly going to be impressed.

Now, how long until all of that is reality? Two years or three? Maybe four? ;)

DrBo42

Quiet the contrary where I'm concerned - even though I'll hardly participate out of lack of time! They'll have to let go of their baby and let the players do the walking, because all they can do, really, to inhale some life into the galaxy, is spin a limited narration around alien contacts, manually spawn some events, manipulate NPC conversations to give hints about it and some such.

Eve is not just jackasses preventing people from entering their stations. It's also players driving and creating content. E.g. imagine a guild "controlling" their station with a limited shipyard. Give that guild opportunity to upgrade the shipyard in order to build bigger ships or restock sold out ships by having them both, truck resources to the station, as well as buy resources from other players, potentially by having control of the station's prices for wares. And in order to prevent players from being unchecked jackasses, leave ingame jurisdiction to the game. E.g. if a player of the controlling faction of the station gains a bounty, the station will attack that player just as it would any other while still granting access to any player of an opposing faction, as long as they don't have a bounty.

What you would end up with, is a strong incentive for guilds to maintain and upgrade their stations, as well as a mechanic that promotes actually trucking wares around for a higher purpose.

That leaves a whole lot of issues to be decided. How would station control be gained and how would it be changed? But those are the issues Frontier has to tackle in order to turn Elite from a nice space game with a lifeless background sim into something that lives. They ought to give player the tools for emergent content, otherwise the most emergent things that'll happen are fuel rats saving explorers and jackasses seal clubbing n00bs in sidewinders or randomly kill any community goal supporters. ;)

I'm also immensely happy that there is a mention of guilds coming. Thank to however caused that paradigm shift. People who cling to the notion that others shouldn't have the formal opportunity to form groups/guilds/clans in an online game, have imo no business making and selling an online game. Braben sometimes very much sounded like he was afraid to introduce such features out of fear of the implications. But that's like Nintendo clinging to friend codes. People having experienced better online features aren't exactly going to be impressed.

Now, how long until all of that is reality? Two years or three? Maybe four? ;)

I agree with all of this. The fear around player groups owning stations or having control in a system is absolutely absurd. Owning something in a world or building your claim somewhere is a driving factor of progression this game sorely needs.

There's only so many times you can post "Blaze your own trail" while having a list of caveats when it comes to player freedom before you look ridiculous.

Top Bottom