• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

zorbsie

Scan of the system and a scan of the Star. I didn't bother scanning/visiting most planets

I did mostly system scans and if there were interesting planets(waterworlds, earth-likes) I would scan those. Made it back from Sag A and cashed in about 24 million in exploration data. Should of scanned more. I'm now a ranger rank in exploration, I'll need a lot more exploring to get to elite rank.

Can someone explain the current bounty system?

I have a dormant bounty that is 6 days old. I was doing some Nav bounty hunting and I didn't have the "Wanted" notification on my hud. I got scanned by local police, they said I was free to go. Then while attacking this Wanted ship, I got scanned again and got blasted by police.

wha happened

~Cross~

There are different types of scan. A dormant warrant can only be reactivated with a warrant scanner. They might have been scanning your hold on the first scan, the second scan was probably a warrant one

There are different types of scan. A dormant warrant can only be reactivated with a warrant scanner. They might have been scanning your hold on the first scan, the second scan was probably a warrant one

That's what I figured :-| Damn.

How do I get rid of this Dormant bounty? Need to get some hunting done for Blaster.

~Cross~

The way everyone I know does it is have a buddy scan you while you are in a sidewinder and then have your buddy blow you up. That way you dont lose much at all and your buddy gets the money.

Jedi2016

It takes ~35m in exploration data to hit elite, right?
I think it's about 90-100m total.

I'm Ranger right now, on my way back from my longest jaunt yet, I hope it's enough to put me over the top. My total distance traveled on this trip is probably about 100k or so, maybe as far as going to Beagle Point and back, although I didn't make it that far.

I followed our arm of the galaxy counterclockwise, then skirted toward the outer rim until I was about a quarter of the way around the circumference, then decided this was taking far too long, cut in across the middle of the galaxy, hit Sag A*, out the other side, stopped by Jaques Station a few weeks ago, then kept heading out toward the outer arm, and I'm now following that arm back home. I'm less than 20k away now.

I always scan the main star, along with any stars that are close enough to scan without moving too far. Lately, I've been scanning the metallic landable planets that are close to the star for materials, but I don't have to go that far for those. And, of course, I scan all ammonia, water, and earth-like worlds that I come across (found a system just the other day with an earth-like and three water worlds). And I keep an eye along my course for any one-off stars like white dwarfs, neutron stars, or black holes.

No idea how long it will take to turn all this in. I don't plan to do it all at once, either, since I can use exploration data to level up three different engineers. I should have more than enough to get all three to rank 5, and I'll dump the remainder at either Farseer or my home base at Sol.

The way everyone I know does it is have a buddy scan you while you are in a sidewinder and then have your buddy blow you up. That way you dont lose much at all and your buddy gets the money.

Damn, okay. I thought after I got scanned and blasted by police for the bounty, it would have cleared it, but nope, still sitting there.

~Cross~

Damn, okay. I thought after I got scanned and blasted by police for the bounty, it would have cleared it, but nope, still sitting there.

If you got blown up by the police then its gone too. Also any legacy fine that you might have had in the system should have been tacked into the respawn price so you should be ok

I just rather have someone else take the bounty when I'm full of them so at least some good comes of it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wish. According to this, it's around 161M. Not sure if that is total or the amount needed per rank. I think it's per rank.

No, I think it's total, as I hit Elite in exploration right when I crossed over 160 million in total data sold.

GPOFg43.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So is it just AMD drivers getting up to speed or did they heavily optimize the engine? Everything on max and it doesn't seem to want to go below 100 so far, gotta see how it fares in a space station of course, but general space travel is so damn smooth, it doesn't even dip below 100 when using the FSD, which is great. It still used to dip to the 40s even after the driver thing was fixed, now it's buttery smooth.

Granted, I did turn off turbocore again and just manually set the clock to 3.7Ghz on my CPU as well as turning on High Performance Computing, might factor into it as well. But something tells me they've gone and done some optimizations.

Anyone have suggestions on a Vultre load out? Currently have two fixed pulse lasers. Thing about going mult cannon and PA. Ammo though may be a problem.

When is multi-crew stuff set to be implemented? (has it even?) I've been out of the game for a while, I have lifetime DLC for it but I haven'y played in ages. Looking to get back in with my buddy when Multi-crew happens.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
2.1 improved frame rate quiet a bit, iirc.

That's nice. Kind of want to go back to the old AMD drivers to see if it was AMD's or Frontier's fault frameshift drive speeds went to shit lol. AMD drivers mitigated the problem somewhat but this patch seems to have eliminated the problem entirely. Finally time for me to sink my teeth into this baby tho now that the performance is rock solid :)

Reckheim

As someone that is thinking about getting this tomorrow, have any of you guys played NMS yet? Would you recommend it if I enjoy Elite Dangerous (I do like the exploration aspect in Elite)?

All the NMS controversy has done is made me realize we're still a few years away from having a "complete" current/next gen space game. Elite is doing quite nicely, for what it is.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I’m actually going to skip NMS for the time being, for a few reasons:

1. I’m too busy playing a bunch of other games right now (Starbound, Elite, FSX, Diablo 3…)
2. From what I’ve seen the game looks good, but not worth $60 to me, more like $30 maybe?
3. This whole multiplayer controversy, and the obtuse and vague way Hello Games has handled it, has soured me wanting to give them my money

So I’m holding out on NMS for now. I’ll most likely get it eventually as I think I’d have fun with it, but I also think I’d get bored with it fairly soon as well.

Reckheim

I’m actually going to skip NMS for the time being, for a few reasons:

1. I’m too busy playing a bunch of other games right now (Starbound, Elite, FSX, Diablo 3…)
2. From what I’ve seen the game looks good, but not worth $60 to me, more like $30 maybe?
3. This whole multiplayer controversy, and the obtuse and vague way Hello Games has handled it, has soured me wanting to give them my money

So I’m holding out on NMS for now. I’ll most likely get it eventually as I think I’d have fun with it, but I also think I’d get bored with it fairly soon as well.

I'm kind of leaning the same way, maybe get it at a deep discount during the winter steam sale.

Yeah I've now watched a lot of streams and instead of jumping on NMS, I'm just going to keep playing Elite. The lack of depth in the flight mechanics was my biggest concern but over time I've seen a lot of stuff that just tells me, I'd rather play Elite.

As someone who had never heard of this game before wavering about whether or not to but NMS, can someone sell me on it? I want a space exploration game but the grindy isolated nature of NMS has me hesitant to buy. What is the hook here? Is it an exploration game? Combat? Sim?

LeBart

As someone who had never heard of this game before wavering about whether or not to but NMS, can someone sell me on it? I want a space exploration game but the grindy isolated nature of NMS has me hesitant to buy. What is the hook here? Is it an exploration game? Combat? Sim?

Exploration in Elite boils down to scanning a bunch of systems and planets for hours and hours and selling the data. If you like the idea of finding a beautiful ringed earth-like planet orbiting a gas giant, but not being able to land or really do anything but scan and take screenshots, then you might enjoy exploring in this game.

For me the combat and flight mechanics are the best things this game has going for it right now in terms of gameplay. The sense of immersion is also second to none. It's an amazing looking game, the galaxy is 1:1 (as opposed to NMS, planets actually are planet-sized and the distance between them is realistic) and mostly scientifically acurate, and the sound design is among the best I've heard.

It's worth a try. Just know that it's a time-sink, and that many aspects can feel a bit unfinished.

frontieruk

All four... Combat, Exploration, Grind and Sim but it gets its claws in and you lose hours.

DrBo42

There's exploration but there's far less surface variation in Elite compared to NMS. NMS has creatures, flora etc...Elite has either rocky or dusty barren surfaces, or an ice version. Elite is way better at making exploration feel lonely and making the galaxy feel massive. Gameplay is also pretty shallow in terms of what you can do. Combat is way better. Exploration gameplay is way worse IMO. Very limited scan and leave type of gameplay without anything dynamic happening or new things to encounter. Just as grindy if not more. The seamless transition between surfaces and stations etc is not possible in Elite. Elite is entirely instanced between normal space, supercruise (method of flying between planets etc) and surfaces. That and you need both Elite and Horizons to land on planets.

Both will be grindy, Elite is not as isolated because there are other players and you can play with friends. What NMS doesn't have for me that Elite does have is depth in the flight mechanics for both just traveling and combat. Neither game is for everyone, though. It takes a specific kind of person to get lost in these types of games.

Wildcard36qs

Neo Member
I love Elite. It has something for everyone. As others have said as well, it's flight model is by far the best of any game I've played. You get fully immersed in the game's universe and you will sink hundreds of hours in it. The game can be grindy, but mostly by your own choosing. I have been enjoying doing a mix of everything and do not care about getting the largest ship, or the next level, or the latest engineer mod. You can land on tons of planets (that do not have atmosphere which means no flora or fauna, but they will allow in the future supposedly) and driving on planets is a blast as is flying through canyons.

TL;DR Get Elite. Everyone who complains about grind or what not, we all have hundreds of hours in it. Game obviously has a lot to do.

Also coming from a NMS thread... Will Elite run on an i5 4210U 1.7 GHz CPU 6 GB GeForce 840M notebook? I don't mind lowering the details to low/medium and the resolution to 720p.

frontieruk

Also coming from a NMS thread... Will Elite run on an i5 4210U 1.7 GHz CPU 6 GB GeForce 840M notebook? I don't mind lowering the details to low/medium and the resolution to 720p.

ED minimum specs
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or AMD Radeon HD 4870 (DirectX 11 functionality required)

Horizons minimum specs
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon R7 240

CPU looks good not sure where your gfx drops in against the minimum recommended

joecanada

since you guys started talking about NMS, and for good reason......How do they do planetary jumps/warps??...
I have only been playing elite for about two weeks but the Frame shift boost is already baffling to me. I would estimate 60-80% of my time is spent boosting between areas. Then if you find anything remotely interesting (unkown signal source, etc) you have to come out of boost and fly around then boost again to the next location.......

The frame shift jumps are perfect (other than I wish you could autopilot them to grab a drink without the sun burning your shit lol) but the frame shift boosting between objectives is pretty maddening. I already skip any mission that has a station outside of 3-4 planets from the Suns, last night I had a high value mission but it was a good 7 planets out and the FS boost took 10 minutes real time due to the engine slowing the whole route gradually....

I may be missing something but I don't think I can stick to the game long if this is the norm for the whole experience... may have to try arena for a bit to break it up....
whats weird is the game is fantastic 10/10 for everything.... but then you waste MOST of your time just getting from place to place. I put in a docking computer just to grab a drink or let the dogs out to skip that whole sequence, just the whole monotony of it... and again I don't even mind jumping between say 10 planets in my freighter but the boosting part is terrible??

since you guys started talking about NMS, and for good reason......How do they do planetary jumps/warps??...
I have only been playing elite for about two weeks but the Frame shift boost is already baffling to me. I would estimate 60-80% of my time is spent boosting between areas. Then if you find anything remotely interesting (unkown signal source, etc) you have to come out of boost and fly around then boost again to the next location.......

The frame shift jumps are perfect (other than I wish you could autopilot them to grab a drink without the sun burning your shit lol) but the frame shift boosting between objectives is pretty maddening. I already skip any mission that has a station outside of 3-4 planets from the Suns, last night I had a high value mission but it was a good 7 planets out and the FS boost took 10 minutes real time due to the engine slowing the whole route gradually....

I may be missing something but I don't think I can stick to the game long if this is the norm for the whole experience... may have to try arena for a bit to break it up....
whats weird is the game is fantastic 10/10 for everything.... but then you waste MOST of your time just getting from place to place. I put in a docking computer just to grab a drink or let the dogs out to skip that whole sequence, just the whole monotony of it... and again I don't even mind jumping between say 10 planets in my freighter but the boosting part is terrible??

It's important to realize that every celestial body has gravity/gravity well. If you are passing close by each planet, you're probably constantly slowing down, speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, etc.

Otherwise, yeah, I mean, I've had times where I need to reach somewhere that is thousands of Ls in the distance and that can take a few minutes, even after reaching speeds of 100x the speed of light. Just the nature of the beast. It seems few and far between, to me.

I love docking, though. Can't help you there :D Docking computers are for chumps ;)

Hylian7

I'm not sure I completely get your problem.

Are you just overshooting your destination in supercruise? If you notice on the throttle meter, there is a blue zone. If you keep your throttle in that your speed will adjust accordingly and you will be slow enough to drop for it. However this is slower. You can go full throttle, and when it says you are about 10-15 seconds from it, drop throttle to the blue zone.

Hmm, joecanada, you're not keeping your throttle in the blue until you're close, right? You should put it to the middle of the blue line when you're about 7-8 seconds (estimated, of course) from your destination. Then your speed will auto throttle to the appropriate speed.

Up until that point, you should be full throttle, though.

Reckheim

So, apparently the sun isn't a real thing in NMS, as in you cant fly around it, it is juts a point in the sky box that gives out light to give the impression of day/night cycle.

That puts me off the game so much, any sort of immersion from the game would be gone for me.

Just wanted to let other people considering getting the game know. Sorry to bring to the elite thread.

I'm just spending my collected materials at some of the engineers. Damn, even at LVL 1 those upgrades are good in my case.Went from ~ 85% power usage to 60% now. All my lasers do have special abilities now as well.

I need to make a list of commodities I need for higher value mods. But even now this is great.

I do need a better thruster though. Even 0.5G is hard to handle with my D-rated one.
As is flight assist :)
WORD

Noobcraft

Is there anywhere to look and see just how Frontier pulled together Elite Dangerous? There are a lot of things that are simulated in the game and tons of data. I assume it's partly procedural generation and partly astronomical data?

RAIDEN1

When are the THARGOIDS coming???? Been waiting to hear more news about it, as I think once they are in, that will make the Elite Dangerous experience complete, as of right now it is missing something...

Top Bottom