• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Effect

They're still going to reveal some more information tomorrow right?

The ship fighters and passengers seem interesting but not something that will really impact me that much as I won't ever have a ship big enough for that stuff. I just can't bring myself to invest that much time to grind up the money like that. So hoping there is something else that I can be excited about in the next big update or at least the one after that.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
We see geysers i think? Part of volcanic update?

elite_dangerous_screenshot_20160818010639_1_original.jpg

New neutron star

elite_dangerous_screenshot_20160818012711_1_original.jpg

more here

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh man I just gave arena a shot for the first time and that was a total blast, finally learning how to actually manipulate flight assist on / off to my advantage while flying.

Doing that thing where you shut off flight assist, pitch up, boost and jam the reverse thrusters to be flying backwards while facing the guy tailing you and blasting him in the face is amazingly satisfying.

Tomeru

Oh man I just gave arena a shot for the first time and that was a total blast, finally learning how to actually manipulate flight assist on / off to my advantage while flying.

Doing that thing where you shut off flight assist, pitch up, boost and jam the reverse thrusters to be flying backwards while facing the guy tailing you and blasting him in the face is amazingly satisfying.

Do you have this on cam? Sounds amazing lol.

HMC

I've never been intimidated by a game before ED. I want to play this sooo bad, but being so monumentally far behind the curve, the notion of starting this just feels like signing up for a PhD program straight from high school.

DrBo42

I've never been intimidated by a game before ED. I want to play this sooo bad, but being so monumentally far behind the curve, the notion of starting this just feels like signing up for a PhD program straight from high school.

It seems much worse than it actually is in terms of controlling the ship and learning the game. There's definitely stuff they don't mention in the training (which isn't very good) but that's why we're here. Make sure you know what you're getting into though, content isn't up to par right now IMO.

Xater

I just got it days ago and it's way easier to get into than it seems.

DrBo42

Some updates

System map planet surface view now shows texture rather than grid
CQC-style architecture now in main game
Capital ship class yards confirmed to be added to the CQC-style stations as eye candy
Stars have had a visual improvement and flying through these plumes in supercruise takes damage to the ship. However, it will be able to utilize the energy to greatly increase jump range HOLY SHIT
Module storage and transfer will be in-game This includes storing core modules like FSD but the caveat is that you'll need to pay for the lowest class etc replacement so the ship you harvested it from can still fly.
Ship transfer confirmed and is instantaneous. Price is based on cost of the ship and the distance needed to transfer the ship to.
An addition to the previous reveal of indicating your target system's security level while charging a jump, it will now also display the current state of the system like civil war etc.

DrBo42

Instant ship transfer? I'll never jump a single light year in my fer de lance ever again!

Pretty dope. They're making great strides with quality of life with this update. Now if they'll just deepen what we can do (outside of tourism/passenger missions). Although I imagine creating more content will be a big focus for 2.3 and multi-crew.

Final segment for today is now live

- "Shady Contact" at stations allows you to pay off fines and collect bounties from around the galaxy for a price
- New ship kits, Viper MK III, Asp Explorer, Python and Vulture shown
- Maximum of 1 fighter active at a time confirmed

JoeMartin

I'm not sure if the instant ship transfer is good for the game or not. Huge quality of life upgrade for lower jump range ships, but as was already pointed out, it basically nullifies jump range being a concern on ANY ship. Hopefully the cost isn't the pittance that fuel and ammo amount to, because now all my ships have the same jump range as my FSD 5 AspX.

DrBo42

I'm not sure if the instant ship transfer is good for the game or not. Huge quality of life upgrade for lower jump range ships, but as was already pointed out, it basically nullifies jump range being a concern on ANY ship. Hopefully the cost isn't the pittance that fuel and ammo amount to, because now all my ships have the same jump range as my FSD 5 AspX.

It's balanced around the ship class and distance away. I think moving the big ships across a large distance is going to end up being a rich man's game. At least if they know what they're doing. Making it cheap is going to introduce the problem you mention. Honestly though, engineer FSD upgrades are already making moving around the bubble far easier. That's not even including the new change to stars and using the plumes to overcharge your fsd and make a large jump. Not sure if that's every star though.

Bubba77

I was the same way but last week committed myself to playing it. After a few hours its totally fine. Theres plenty of stuff I still dont know, but its not that bad at all getting started.

BTW the subreddit folks for ED are very helpful to new comers.

LeBart

Agreed.
I hope they change that after the beta. Some players really don't give a fuck about money at this point, and that's giving them an unfair advantage.
Even a simple 30 min delay would be enough I think.

DrBo42

Agreed.
I hope they change that after the beta. Some players really don't give a fuck about money at this point, and that's giving them an unfair advantage.
Even a simple 30 min delay would be enough I think.

What exactly is the unfair advantage?

The only impact on balance I see is, and this was likely something already being done by hardcore PvPers, combat ships will be run with the lightest and least power hungry FSD drives since jumping is no longer a consideration, freeing up power for other components. On a macro level, perhaps more combat ships in CG areas because the annoyance of jumping is removed.

LeBart

What exactly is the unfair advantage?
Maybe not an advantage in a competitive sense, but if you have more money than you know what to do with, then the cost of ship transfer is pretty much zero to you. Unless transfers cost a huge amount like 10% of your ship's value.

I think it needs to add to the gameplay rather than just being a convenience thing.

Maybe not an advantage in a competitive sense, but if you have more money than you know what to do with, then the cost of ship transfer is pretty much zero to you. Unless transfers cost a huge amount like 10% of your ship's value.

I think it needs to add to the gameplay rather than just being a convenience thing.

They described it as strictly a convenience and admittedly gamey mechanic added to the game to remove painful annoying barriers to doing what is fun in Elite. Based on the said purpose, I don't see them making it another painful barrier.

I do understand the concern though, it does make the jump range of your individual ships meaningless. Only the longest jump range is a consideration.

DrBo42

Asp kit???? I NEED PICS NOW!!!!!!!

319ba55ed6.jpg

They described it as strictly a convenience and admittedly gamey mechanic added to the game to remove painful annoying barriers to doing what is fun in Elite. Based on the said purpose, I don't see them making it another painful barrier.

I would have taken the EVE approach. In EVE you can pay people in gigantic haulers to move your ship to a new station. Would give haulers something else to do and start to get a player economy rolling.

Reckheim

They did say that the prices aren't Final, I wouldn't be surprised if transporting a Conda or a Corvette would cost a significant amount of money (in the millions).

I'd be ok with that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Welp, seeing as how over 90% of my flying time is spent in my Asp, I believe I'll be buying that kit when it becomes available! I'm curious to see what all of the part combinations are.

I'm surprised that they haven't added the ability to add the ability to create way points on planet surfaces at specific coordinates. Someone created a mod/overlay that did this I believe.

Prologue

I thought this and Star Citizen were one and the same. I didn't even know that this is on xbox one as well. Like, is this a full fledged game?

TheTrain

They've found all the clue apparently

We've found something. Something incredible. Something the whole galaxy will want to see. The truth.
To find us, look for a bounty hunter.
To find more clues you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings, and enough radiation to turn you green.
The hunt begins on the 28th.

Raxxla?

It's pretty great on xbox- definitely worth picking up when you get a chance. Some framerate stutters here and there but aside from that works swimmingly. Finally diving into the Horizons stuff and quite enjoying it so far.

Thanks mate I bought it yesterday couldn't wait for a sale lol

Can't wait to get started :)

Xater

So there are more Xbox players here than just me? I'd like to add some friends. Maybe I can actually get a wing going. So far I think I have seen another human once.

Top Bottom