• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

bj00rn_

Banned
This is the third time in the last couple of days I lose my ship (and my insurance is expensive..) because I "forget" and press escape to pause the game when someone calls me..

Fighter time.

Launch and docking

Combat Hope they find a way to balance this before launch that makes sense.

Up to 16 SLF's (might need to confirm that) can be carried, depending on your ship. It's possible to carry different SLF's on the same ship. /u/Barking_Madness
28 minutes agoPilots can give commands to SLF's and tell them to either 'follow, stay put or follow you main ship'. /u/Barking_Madness
28 minutes agoInitial outlay will not be 'trivial'. The fighter hangar will take up room as with any addition to the ship in outlaying. /u/Barking_Madness
29 minutes agoThere will be paint jobs for fighters /u/IdolonInMachina
36 minutes agoBuying a fighter bay, will enable players to construct fighters whilst in flight. /u/Barking_Madness
36 minutes agoFighter bays can '3D Print' new fighters. /u/IdolonInMachina
38 minutes agoFighters will have 3-4 loadouts. Weapons + Utilities (Chaff, Point Defence and Heat Sinks). /u/ChristianM
40 minutes agoFighter hangars can be purchased from outfitting /u/IdolonInMachina
an hour ago'Telepresence' - The commander isn't actually in the fighter, they are in the main ship. /u/IdolonInMachina
an hour agoBasic ethos is that they are 'glass cannons' - fragile but powerful. It will give larger non combat ships some teeth, enabling them to take on attack based craft. /u/Barking_Madness
an hour agoNew Independent Taipan fighter confirmed. /u/Barking_Madness
an hour agoFighters will be fragile but very powerful

Taipan paint jobs

Federal fighter paint jobs

Imperial fighter paint jobs

Good stuff. Now... To plan on what ship to get that can house a hanger bay.

Serrato

So a pack of Glass canons that can be repaired/produced in battle? This can maybe give the edge on heavier ships against nimble ships. Curious to see where its going.

DrBo42

So a pack of Glass canons that can be repaired/produced in battle? This can maybe give the edge on heavier ships against nimble ships. Curious to see where its going.

It's all very much up in the air. Not sure how many you can have out via AI pilots or your buddies in multi-crew down the line. Could be very powerful. Will definitely make for some interesting meta changes.

Forgot to throw this bit in:

There are 3 SLF available to players. The F63-Condor, the Imperial Fighter and the Independent Taipan fighter. This is the new Alliance fighter, which is said to be the most powerful of the three.

Taipan – the most robust of the three, faster recharge for it’s shields but is the slowest and has the worst manoeuvrability.

F63 – the most lightly armoured, has medium manoeuvrability, but is the fastest of the three.

Imperial Fighter – Most fragile of the three, not the fastest but the most manoeuvrable of any ship in the game.

Serrato

Well if they start introducing bigger ships (where did I read ''capital'' ship docking?), them having large packs of AI Fighters (or crew piloted?) would make sense, I think.

DrBo42

Well if they start introducing bigger ships (where did I read ''capital'' ship docking?), them having large packs of AI Fighters (or crew piloted?) would make sense, I think.

I think they're doing that to make the military feel like they deploy from somewhere along with shipyards to show they're built. I don't think FD has any intention of giving capital class vessels to players.

I'm actually a supporter of giving larger vessels to players, achievable through faction groups and cooperation though.

Serrato

Well they did say they wanted to give more ''power'' to players right? Or something akin to that, having the control of a huge ship/small station would give just that, I think.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I kinda wish they'd implement more coop content, early on there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to play with your friends lol. Not until we have enough equipment to handle like real RES fights, as it is now most things about mostly harmless are a disaster without the cops, and there aren't exactly many pockets of mostly harmless enemies from what I've seen.

I kinda wish they'd implement more coop content, early on there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to play with your friends lol. Not until we have enough equipment to handle like real RES fights, as it is now most things about mostly harmless are a disaster without the cops, and there aren't exactly many pockets of mostly harmless enemies from what I've seen.
They will be in 2.3 I believe. Multi-crew and avatar creation.

Being in a wing with friends and going into res sites is fun though!

Everything pleases me. I'm curious how they're going to justify fighters dealing damage to real ships given their weapons have to be class 1 weapons at best.

Serrato

So even a small Keelback can have 3 Fighters? A Type-9 will probably be able to field 7 or even the ''10'' max they said. That would be crazy (and nice)

Honestly the 1 active AI pilot kinda bums me out. Wonder if they'll limit multi-crew fighter launch to 1 as well.

I think it's dependent on the level of fighter bay you have and the size of your ship. The higher end fighter bay (and by extension, the larger the ship I'd assume) the more active fighters you can have.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

So even a small Keelback can have 3 Fighters? A Type-9 will probably be able to field 7 or even the ''10'' max they said. That would be crazy (and nice)

but then you lose the entire purpose of owning a T9: transporting high volumes of tradeable cargo. I think it's a safe assumption that fighter bays will have a minimum size and a maximum size. Example:

Small fighter bay = 1 fighter = Class 5 internal required.

Medium fighter bay = 2 fighters per bay = Class 6 internal required.

Large fighter bay = 3 fighters per bay = Class 7 internal required.

In such a scenario, in order to get 7-10 fighters on a Type-9, you'd be limiting yourself to 52T of cargo capacity, maximum and no shields.

If I were to guess, this is exactly how they'd approach it. This makes heavy fighter-based semi-capital ships a thing (possibly) at the expense of hull reinforcement or shield banks. The Corvette, Cutter, and Anaconda all have enough internal slots of Class 5 and up to hold 7-10 fighters while retaining shields and some smaller internal slots for Discovery Scanners, Fuel Scoops, Landing Packages and whatnot.

I don't think a serious trading ship is going to ever want more than a 2-fighter bay. Pros and cons.

That said, one of the things I really love about this idea is that fighters give truck sim drivers an opportunity to break up the monotony. A little mix of high speed combat in with your boring trading runs can add the fun that the career path needs to be viable.

Also, I take full fucking credit for the hiring mechanic for NPC fighter crew.

Honestly the 1 active AI pilot kinda bums me out. Wonder if they'll limit multi-crew fighter launch to 1 as well.

wait what now? If you can carry up to 10, what would be the reason behind only being able to send only 1 out? That doesn't make much sense. You sure you heard that correctly?

DrBo42

but then you lose the entire purpose of owning a T9: transporting high volumes of tradeable cargo. I think it's a safe assumption that fighter bays will have a minimum size and a maximum size. Example:

Small fighter bay = 1 fighter = Class 5 internal required.

Medium fighter bay = 2 fighters per bay = Class 6 internal required.

Large fighter bay = 3 fighters per bay = Class 7 internal required.

In such a scenario, in order to get 7-10 fighters on a Type-9, you'd be limiting yourself to 52T of cargo capacity, maximum and no shields.

If I were to guess, this is exactly how they'd approach it. This makes heavy fighter-based semi-capital ships a thing (possibly) at the expense of hull reinforcement or shield banks. The Corvette, Cutter, and Anaconda all have enough internal slots of Class 5 and up to hold 7-10 fighters while retaining shields and some smaller internal slots for Discovery Scanners, Fuel Scoops, Landing Packages and whatnot.

I don't think a serious trading ship is going to ever want more than a 2-fighter bay. Pros and cons.

That said, one of the things I really love about this idea is that fighters give truck sim drivers an opportunity to break up the monotony. A little mix of high speed combat in with your boring trading runs can add the fun that the career path needs to be viable.

Also, I take full fucking credit for the hiring mechanic for NPC fighter crew.

wait what now? If you can carry up to 10, what would be the reason behind only being able to send only 1 out? That doesn't make much sense. You sure you heard that correctly?
In the hiring screen the player can only have 1 active pilot. As for the 10 cap, you can 3D print fighters so the amount you can hold doesn't mean much IMO. Maybe the Keelback used in the video only had 1 fighter bay and that's the limiting factor.

Thought i would jump back into elite after playing No Mans Sky. I havent played for a while so i had to download a new launcher and then update the game. It kept timing out and so i couldnt play. I spent about an hour restarting the download many times.

Does anyone know if there are server issues or anything like that which might be the reason? I find it very frustrating that when i want to play a game that i cant due to having to log in, i backed this game when it was supposed to be single player before the old switcher-roo to always online.

DrBo42

Thought i would jump back into elite after playing No Mans Sky. I havent played for a while so i had to download a new launcher and then update the game. It kept timing out and so i couldnt play. I spent about an hour restarting the download many times.

Does anyone know if there are server issues or anything like that which might be the reason? I find it very frustrating that when i want to play a game that i cant due to having to log in, i backed this game when it was supposed to be single player before the old switcher-roo to always online.
Usually only during heavy traffic like a beta launch. Should be an alternate download method option in launcher options you can try. Their launcher is pretty much garbage when it comes to resuming a download or installation though. Just does not work.

Usually only during heavy traffic like a beta launch. Should be an alternate download method option in launcher options you can try. Their launcher is pretty much garbage when it comes to resuming a download or installation though. Just does not work.

Ah ok, cheers buddy. Ill try again tonight.

DrBo42

Per 1 active pilot here's what reddit has:

NPC Crew

Up to 3 NPC Crew can be hired from the crew lounge to fly both your own ship or any SLF (via AI). However, only one can fly with you at any one time. The others will be on ‘shore leave’ until you need them.

Deal breaker for me. Hope that changes.

Per 1 active pilot here's what reddit has:

NPC Crew

Up to 3 NPC Crew can be hired from the crew lounge to fly both your own ship or any SLF (via AI). However, only one can fly with you at any one time. The others will be on ‘shore leave’ until you need them.

Deal breaker for me. Hope that changes.
Why a deal breaker? It's gotta be due to proper balancing. The idea of unleashing a bunch of fighters at once is really cool, but would also be incredibly one-sided haha.

DrBo42

Why a deal breaker? It's gotta be due to proper balancing. The idea of unleashing a bunch of fighters at once is really cool, but would also be incredibly one-sided haha.
Yeah it could be. 1 just seems lame considering it could use a class 7 slot on a Corvette. Can't really see the point of using such a high class bay if you can only deploy one at a time. Coupled with the fact you can just make more within the ship. Maybe they have a long build time? We'll see.

TheExodu5

Banned
A bit disappointed with surface landings. My main issue is the texture pop in. The distance for low res textures is far too low, and really breaks immersion when I'm playing with the Rift.

A bit disappointed with surface landings. My main issue is the texture pop in. The distance for low res textures is far too low, and really breaks immersion when I'm playing with the Rift.
Damn there's pop-in on pc too? Figured that was just on Xbox :p

Given the sheer size of the planets, I get it, but sometimes it can be pretty blatant haha

Damn there's pop-in on pc too? Figured that was just on Xbox :p

Given the sheer size of the planets, I get it, but sometimes it can be pretty blatant haha

I saw a video of Xbox One planetary landings and the difference is honestly very stark. Though the lower quality textures do transition a bit noticeable even on PC. I seem to remember the transition was a bit smoother in 2.0 but with 2.1 the surface ultimately look better when your close.

I dont get any pop in.
I think pop in is the wrong term maybe. Textures are blurry and don't sharpen up until you get closer, which makes sense, given the size and draw distance. Probably unavoidable. But occasionally, some sections of textures will sharpen up before others and it looks wonky haha. I don't mind it at all but I imagine it's quite immersion breaking in VR

E-flux

Those Braben interviews were really good, not even because of elite but it was just good sci-fi talk. "Gravity itself will be a luxury in space" Sure it's nothing special but Braben is just a joy to listen to.

joecanada

I have a technical question.

I am running a GTX 720 right now (placeholder till I find a 1060), and it runs elite vanilla fine, despite "can I run it" saying I can't hit min. specs.... its actually decent at 720p and high settings.

if I installed horizons could this screw things up? I am perfectly happy now with just puttering around but if I could install horizons with zero risk I would do it.

DrBo42

I have a technical question.

I am running a GTX 720 right now (placeholder till I find a 1060), and it runs elite vanilla fine, despite "can I run it" saying I can't hit min. specs.... its actually decent at 720p and high settings.

if I installed horizons could this screw things up? I am perfectly happy now with just puttering around but if I could install horizons with zero risk I would do it.
I was playing Horizons on a GT 650m 896mb laptop card. I was miserable on surfaces but I could definitely play it.

Moreche

I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologise beforehand.
I purchased ED on Xbox One at launch and never put much time into it but with the updates and horizons is the game much better in content and performance?
Thanks and I'm also expecting a Scorpio update when it arrives.

Top Bottom