• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Hylian7

Some updates

System map planet surface view now shows texture rather than grid
CQC-style architecture now in main game
Capital ship class yards confirmed to be added to the CQC-style stations as eye candy
Stars have had a visual improvement and flying through these plumes in supercruise takes damage to the ship. However, it will be able to utilize the energy to greatly increase jump range HOLY SHIT
Module storage and transfer will be in-game This includes storing core modules like FSD but the caveat is that you'll need to pay for the lowest class etc replacement so the ship you harvested it from can still fly.
Ship transfer confirmed and is instantaneous. Price is based on cost of the ship and the distance needed to transfer the ship to.
An addition to the previous reveal of indicating your target system's security level while charging a jump, it will now also display the current state of the system like civil war etc.

I've been out of the ED loop since Engineers. Is all of this coming in the next update?! The last two alone will get me to play again.

So my buddy is likely going to get this game. I know we can play together, but what are some fun things to do co-op? I was thinking maybe mining with someone running as protection, but is there a way to transfer credits that the person mining would get?

So my buddy is likely going to get this game. I know we can play together, but what are some fun things to do co-op? I was thinking maybe mining with someone running as protection, but is there a way to transfer credits that the person mining would get?

You cannot transfer money. Everyone in the wing gets a some money when the miner turns in their materials, but it's a small fraction. You can both mnie together, it is actually helpful because you both can mine the same rock if you do it at the same time. Basically you are both prospecting with prospecting drones so you find better rocks quicker and then both get the full rocks worth of metals.

Bounty hunting together in a RES can be fun. You split the earnings for any bounty you both attacked. This is cool especially when you are in weaker ships.

You cannot transfer money. Everyone in the wing gets a some money when the miner turns in their materials, but it's a small fraction. You can both mnie together, it is actually helpful because you both can mine the same rock if you do it at the same time. Basically you are both prospecting with prospecting drones so you find better rocks quicker and then both get the full rocks worth of metals.

Bounty hunting together in a RES can be fun. You split the earnings for any bounty you both attacked. This is cool especially when you are in weaker ships.

Oh, sweet, thanks! I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard/costly to outfit a Sidewinder for mining? The bounty hunting together sounds like a better deal if that's the case.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Since he will just be starting, bounty hunting in a wing is probably the way to go. Get a kill warrant scanner to make a little extra money as well. Once he gets a better ship, winging up and fighting together in a civil war (w/stacked missions) is pretty fun.

Oh, sweet, thanks! I'm guessing it'd be pretty hard/costly to outfit a Sidewinder for mining? The bounty hunting together sounds like a better deal if that's the case.

I probably wouldn't mine with anything less than a Cobra Mk III. Mining takes a lot of internal components to be worth the effort, prospector limpets, collector limpets, refinery and cargo space.

Bounty hunting is probably more reasonable. You could go into a RES being patrolled by System Security and let them do the bulk of the damage on the wanted targets. You get the full bounty by doing any damage. Just be careful not to hit the Security ships.

So there are more Xbox players here than just me? I'd like to add some friends. Maybe I can actually get a wing going. So far I think I have seen another human once.
Xbox here.

Gt: Wesley S Shark

I've got a couple friends on Xbox who play also.

There's a community goal active for this week to take down criminals in a specific system. Headed there now to take part, but I'm jumping out to go do some errands. I'll be on later.

I've been out of the ED loop since Engineers. Is all of this coming in the next update?! The last two alone will get me to play again.
Yep. All in 2.2.

Coming after that (time frame tbd) will be in-ship co-op and avatar creation, among other things.

Xater

Xbox here.

Gt: Wesley S Shark

I've got a couple friends on Xbox who play also.

There's a community goal active for this week to take down criminals in a specific system. Headed there now to take part, but I'm jumping out to go do some errands. I'll be on later.

Added you as a friend. Today I got Deus Ex, so Ill probably just play that for a while before I return to Elite. ;)

Added you as a friend. Today I got Deus Ex, so Ill probably just play that for a while before I return to Elite. ;)
Cool. I'll be playing Deus Ex when it comes out for sure. Between that and Elite I'll be good until Destiny haha. We'll have to wing it up 👍

Jedi2016

When it comes to the Engineers, how are the weapon upgrades? From what I've seen, it seems that they have more of a "trade-off" in performance versus the other upgrades like FSD or whatever. Increased damage in one aspect, but less damage in another, and it almost seems that the overall damage may be about the same. I haven't seen any Engineer weapon upgrades that just give a flat-out increase in damage. For now, I'm not even sure I'll bother with weapon upgrades when I get back.

The only thing I'll have to worry about is trying to rank up three different Engineers by carrying around a bunch of exploration data while all hell is breaking loose with Thargoids and whatnot.

Oh man I just gave arena a shot for the first time and that was a total blast, finally learning how to actually manipulate flight assist on / off to my advantage while flying.

Doing that thing where you shut off flight assist, pitch up, boost and jam the reverse thrusters to be flying backwards while facing the guy tailing you and blasting him in the face is amazingly satisfying.
I just tried this out for the first time. Was interdicted before getting to Austen Town. Hit boost, turned off flight assist and whipped around so I was facing my attacker as I boosted away from him. Lit him up with beams and finished him off with a multi after doing this a couple times. That was a lot of fun

The Imperial Courier is so damn fun to fly. Highly recommend.

eX8si6b.jpg

DrBo42

Yeah the Courier is a very fun maneuverable little ship. Just can't get past how bad the firepower is on it. Wonder how much Engineers improves it. Can it get the new enhanced engines?

HMC

It seems much worse than it actually is in terms of controlling the ship and learning the game. There's definitely stuff they don't mention in the training (which isn't very good) but that's why we're here. Make sure you know what you're getting into though, content isn't up to par right now IMO.

I was the same way but last week committed myself to playing it. After a few hours its totally fine. Theres plenty of stuff I still dont know, but its not that bad at all getting started.

BTW the subreddit folks for ED are very helpful to new comers.

I just got it days ago and it's way easier to get into than it seems.

Thanks, gonna' try it out tonight on XB!

Jedi2016

Yeah the Courier is a very fun maneuverable little ship. Just can't get past how bad the firepower is on it. Wonder how much Engineers improves it. Can it get the new enhanced engines?
It better, I plan to equip it. That ship has nothing else on it, it's my "runner" between other locations with ships (which is moot with 2.2 and the ability to summon ships, but I plan on keeping the Courier). No shields, no weapons, Class A FSD, and a fuel scoop. And, once I get back and level me some Engineers, enhanced thrusters with Level 5 dirty drive tuning. Won't matter if I get interdicted after that, they'll never have a prayer of keeping up. I've got my work cut out for me, though... I've been out in the black since before Engineers dropped, so I've got to level practically all of them as quickly as I can.

JoeMartin

Courier gets wrecked by having only medium hardpoints. Makes it insanely less useful than the vulture for combat, not to mention that its less manoeuverable in all but straight line speed.

TDLink

So watching the Star Citizen gamescom stream got me in the mood for a space game. Unfortunately it seems my current computer can't run that. But lots of people are recommending this too.

Can anyone give me a quick pitch on how good this is/what there is to do? How it feels? etc.

WOO Just finally beat my first player interdiction and my first player kill.

Was making the trek to see the engineer for multicannons and finally got to the system Actually the first time I've seen so many players in a system and then sure enough I go the interdiction message. I tried to keep the escape lined but it was a very short time to dropping out so I got to spin out of control for a few secs. I immediately drew weapons, and since I was in my Vulture it takes a bit to unfold the large multicannon and beam. Player had an ASP scout with a pulse laser that was white and caused some corrosive damage. Luckily I was able to pull to the inside of his turn arc and then go FA off to build enough momentum to essentially strafe directly overhead as he tried to get the firing solution on me. He would roll out and get some hits but my beam+ multicannon was doing good work keeping his shields down and shredding his hull, but that corrosive damage was tough. Ended up getting the last bit while my hull was down to 9% and registering the kill. Shame only a 12k bounty though lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Woo finally invested in a adder mk3 and dumped half a million into it.

twin gimbal beams and multi-cannons makes me feel like I can actually start looking for bounty's reliably.

I can't wait till the days where I have to tail a target in a conflict zone and patiently wait for the others to soften him up then swoop in for the kill are behind me.

E-flux

So watching the Star Citizen gamescom stream got me in the mood for a space game. Unfortunately it seems my current computer can't run that. But lots of people are recommending this too.

Can anyone give me a quick pitch on how good this is/what there is to do? How it feels? etc.

Many people have described elite as "what if han solo never met Luke" You are basically let loose in a galaxy where you are not the main hero or anywhere close it. There is a story that is told through news and community goals that the players can affect but it's no space opera. Personally i like how the ships handle in Elite a lot more than in Star citizen and every ship i have flown has felt different.

I would recommend you to at least test Elite out, it's definitely not for everybody but the base game should be around 20€

StonedRider

Bounty hunting community goal in Arque system. I highly recommend it for easy money, especially for starting players. There are plenty of Res in the system, for example High Res near A3, Hazardous Res near A2.

I hope this CG will reach tier 9 at least - it is already almost on tier 7 with 4 days left. Top 50% commanders receive 3 mil credits now. I believe you can be in top 50% with 1.5-2 mil bounties collected (I am currently in top 10% with 13 mil). You can reach it within one hour.

To starting players - if your ship is not very good, just stick with security and attack after wanted ship is being attacked by security or bounty hunters. Buy Kill Warrant Scanner, you will earn even more. Do not forget to collect materials for future upgrades.

StonedRider

When it comes to the Engineers, how are the weapon upgrades? From what I've seen, it seems that they have more of a "trade-off" in performance versus the other upgrades like FSD or whatever. Increased damage in one aspect, but less damage in another, and it almost seems that the overall damage may be about the same. I haven't seen any Engineer weapon upgrades that just give a flat-out increase in damage. For now, I'm not even sure I'll bother with weapon upgrades when I get back.

The only thing I'll have to worry about is trying to rank up three different Engineers by carrying around a bunch of exploration data while all hell is breaking loose with Thargoids and whatnot.

I've put Short Range upgrade to my main beam laser on FdL and it is pretty good. For level 1 upgrade RNGesus gave me +6.7% dps, -4.8% Distributor draw. Trade-off is maximum range, which is 2.2 km now instead of 3, but I can live with it.

Bounty hunting community goal in Arque system. I highly recommend it for easy money, especially for starting players. There are plenty of Res in the system, for example High Res near A3, Hazardous Res near A2.

I hope this CG will reach tier 9 at least - it is already almost on tier 7 with 4 days left. Top 50% commanders receive 3 mil credits now. I believe you can be in top 50% with 1.5-2 mil bounties collected (I am currently in top 10% with 13 mil). You can reach it within one hour.

To starting players - if your ship is not very good, just stick with security and attack after wanted ship is being attacked by security or bounty hunters. Buy Kill Warrant Scanner, you will earn even more. Do not forget to collect materials for future upgrades.
Yep. It's easy freaking money. Made over 2.5mil on the low res right outside the star of the system.

Also fell in love with the Fer-de-Lance today. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Tomeru

GUYZ.

I really wanna get into this game, but flying shit is so hard. Can you get me a xone controller guide that is considered good? Also some general tips guide will be a-may-zing.

DrBo42

Pretty much no new info from the morning segment. I'm assuming it's just going to be the Braben interview later today and that brief tease of thargoids we saw earlier via a leak.

Dolphin not coming in 2.2 /u/StuartGT

Supercharged FSD will only be via Neutron stars/White dwarfs :( Will be greater than synthesis.

Passengers are passengers, Slaves are slaves
-Sandro 2k16 /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Supercharged fsd range can be seen from the right hand panel under functions /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Weapon mods on your ships will affect your Ship launched fighter /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

The F63 Condor is the fastest Imperial Fighter is the most manuverable /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

The Taipan is manufactured by Lakon /u/IdolonInMachina

Cutter and corvette paint jobs coming in 2.2 /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Gimbaled and fixed weapons will be available on the ship launched fighters /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Tourist locations are persistent across the universe /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Commodity storage? No, because it will be exploitable with the commodity market. However they are thinking about adding storage for crafting commodities at Engineer bases post 2.2 /u/IdolonInMachina

Recommended specs for 2.2 probably will not change /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Are minimum PC specs rising?
No, the specifications will be the same as the rest of Horizons /u/IdolonInMachina

StonedRider

Nice combat ship, especially after Power Plant buffing!

Commodity storage? No, because it will be exploitable with the commodity market. However they are thinking about adding storage for crafting commodities at Engineer bases post 2.2 /u/IdolonInMachina

Great news, I hope they will implement it somehow. Right now I have some rare crafting commodities left and can not even switch to my Vulture to upgrade it because it has no cargo racks.

I bought one the day they adjusted its pricing (it was initially price was over 100 million credits the day it was released it was soon reduced to its current price) and it has been my primary bounty hunter since that day. It used to have power issues to deal with but then they buffed the power plant.

The Vulture ship kits look so good. I wish I still had a reason to fly one regularly. (oh yeah, Vulture was 20+ million when it was first released as well. It released with the same patch as the FDL.)

JoeMartin

Playing with a controller is miserable, there's just too much stuff to do and too few fingers to do all of it in any efficient means, I also find it MUCH easier to fine tune fight using KBM.

DoT0s8Z.png

Mouse controls pitch and yaw, with mouse buttons for chaff/SCB/heat sink, and the scroll wheel providing continuous throttle control.

The directional thrust controls aren't exactly intuitive (and in many cases run counter to the WASD nature we've all grown up with), but it allows me to simultaneously apply thrust across all 4 axes without hand contortion and was well worth the learning curve. It's second nature now.

I play exclusively in my Rift and have no trouble navigating the controls with no sight of the keyboard. Various other non-combat related tools are bound to all sorts of other places and can be to taste.

~Cross~

As long as you have it properly configure a controller is about as good as a hotas (worse throttle controller but way better SRV control). If you use a few buttons as modifiers then you can multi the amount of buttons you have access too for each one.

JoeMartin

Even with an XB1E controller I found flight enormously more clunky than KBM, especially for fixed weapon flying.

My biggest problem is that you have to periodically remove your thumb from the flight stick to perform actions which is untenable for me.

Pretty much no new info from the morning segment. I'm assuming it's just going to be the Braben interview later today and that brief tease of thargoids we saw earlier via a leak.

Dolphin not coming in 2.2 /u/StuartGT

Supercharged FSD will only be via Neutron stars/White dwarfs :( Will be greater than synthesis.

Passengers are passengers, Slaves are slaves
-Sandro 2k16 /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Supercharged fsd range can be seen from the right hand panel under functions /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Weapon mods on your ships will affect your Ship launched fighter /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

The F63 Condor is the fastest Imperial Fighter is the most manuverable /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

The Taipan is manufactured by Lakon /u/IdolonInMachina

Cutter and corvette paint jobs coming in 2.2 /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Gimbaled and fixed weapons will be available on the ship launched fighters /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Tourist locations are persistent across the universe /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Recommended specs for 2.2 probably will not change /u/Tanmay_Bazinga

Are minimum PC specs rising?
No, the specifications will be the same as the rest of Horizons /u/IdolonInMachina

Banking commodities with an Engineer solves the problem as far as I'm concerned. Not really exploitable either. Hopefully that makes it in.

On a side note, metallic rings still cause periodic crashing for me. I wonder if it's an SLI only glitch because this has been an issue for me through many patches and many driver updates but the issue is definitely not wide spread.

I couldn't disagree more. You can use button combinations. There are enough sticks and buttons to go FA off.
I was pretty intimidated at first playing with a controller (don't have a choice I'm on Xbox lol) but now it just feels so good. The button combos just work after a lot of use. I kinda have claw hands around when I need to do multiple things but it works haha. Plus the elite controller lets you mirror things to the paddles (it doesn't give you additional button presses unfortunately) if needed.

I would rather play with a flight stick and throttle but since there aren't any for this current console generation so far, the controller it is. :p

Dizzy-4U

I've been using the 360 controller exclusively with a customized "advanced control pad 2" and I'm pretty happy with it for the most part.

My only issue with it is that I can't find a confortable place for the lateral thrusters in combat mode since both analogs are already taken and the bumpers and triggers are for speed and guns. It's no problem when docking though since I override the bumpers when the landing gear is on. But I miss those thrusters a lot in combat....

Xater

I also feel very comfortable with the controller on Xbox One. It was a bit of a learning curve, but now everything just comes naturally.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I'm worried how Xbox One will cope with ED in the future, It appears to be a very demanding game.

In the short term, it should be doing fine. Elite Dangerous though is a 10 years or so project, at some point it'll have to be on future console iterations. I imagine that by the time ED has full fledged dynamic cities on planet surfaces, it'll require a lot of power. Graphically it'll likely upgrade too. Very exciting times in the future for this game.

elite-dangerous-city.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
In the short term, it should be doing fine. Elite Dangerous though is a 10 years or so project, at some point it'll have to be on future console iterations. I imagine that by the time ED has full fledged dynamic cities on planet surfaces, it'll require a lot of power. Graphically it'll likely upgrade too. Very exciting times in the future for this game.

Yep, on PC the game will gradually scale upwards with respect to hardware, FDev has already admitted as much. Atmospheric landings and colonized planets will most likely take quite a bit more power than the game currently needs. They also seem to be doing a great job so far of slowly improving graphic details while simultaneously optimizing performance for better framerates. But the Xbox is going to languish over time, no doubt. FDev will have to lower graphic settings or quality in time to keep it running nicely.

My biggest fear is that the Xbox version holds back the PC version for parity's sake, I really hope that never happens.

TDLink

Many people have described elite as "what if han solo never met Luke" You are basically let loose in a galaxy where you are not the main hero or anywhere close it. There is a story that is told through news and community goals that the players can affect but it's no space opera. Personally i like how the ships handle in Elite a lot more than in Star citizen and every ship i have flown has felt different.

I would recommend you to at least test Elite out, it's definitely not for everybody but the base game should be around 20€

That sounds cool as a premise, but how is the gameplay?

Also, on steam both the base game and Horizons seem to be $29.99 each. On Horizons' page it also says it requires the base game. But I read in the OP here that is not required. So what exactly is the deal there?

Jedi2016

As for commodities, another solution would be to allow for commodity transfer when switching ships, as long as the ship you're getting into has enough cargo space to hold them. I want to be able to use my FDL to do missions and whatnot, and then move the parts to my Asp to actually go get the upgrade. As it stands, I need to use my Asp, which isn't really kitted for doing anything except exploring.

zorbsie

So there are more Xbox players here than just me? I'd like to add some friends. Maybe I can actually get a wing going. So far I think I have seen another human once.

I'm on Xbox too. GT is zorbs. Pretty much on every day. Unless a new game comes out. :) If we get enough folks we should check out arena mode. Always seems so empty when I try to play a match.

Top Bottom