• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Same content problems in a nicer coat of paint.

I'm not sure I agree. I've only played 14 hours of the base version of Elite so far, but I feel like did more in the first two hours than I did in the first two hours of NMS. I haven't even touched mining or exploration yet. Considering the base version is half the price as well, I feel much more satisfied with Elite than I was with No Man's Sky.

joecanada

So is it time for me to start rebuilding my Alliance rep? :D

how does this work btw?? I just "joined" a faction but I have no clue what I am doing... flew 30 ly to establish a post only to find you need to collect a thingy from a "controlled system" .... what am I doing?

also I saw someone mention conflict zones, will your factions ships be green on radar automatically in confict zones?

what else is there about pledging to a faction?

Hiya - been away for ages. Is it time to come back or not?

Depth is being added, but there hasn't been a SWEEPING change.

NPCs are in and help add some life to the world.
Engineer crafting is at a fairly good balance now and adds a fun little meta to the game, plus has the chance to really change up your combat and flight strategies.
More types of missions are added with every other patch, both for surface and space flight.

2.2 is adding:
Passenger missions (bulk and VIP esorts), including "combat cruises/tourism"
Deployable fighters (up to 10 in hangar, depending on ship) that can be controlled by AI or the player. It appears like we can recruit specific types of AI, though it's not confirmed.

I'm mostly excited about AI crew, TBH. I have never really had a desire to get a larger ship, but the idea of having some AI crew/wingmen is exciting. I assume there is permadeath if they die...would be cool if there was a meta to their skills/ability.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For those of us still with just the base game, is any of this new stuff going to be available? Or will we need to snag Horizons?

For those of us still with just the base game, is any of this new stuff going to be available? Or will we need to snag Horizons?

2.2 is part of Horizons. The station revamps and new route picker will probably be seen by base game only players, but the rest is all part of season 2.

Are there any recent, good fan-made trailers? Hoping to convince some friends to give it a shot and want something representative of the latest gameplay.

how does this work btw?? I just "joined" a faction but I have no clue what I am doing... flew 30 ly to establish a post only to find you need to collect a thingy from a "controlled system" .... what am I doing?

also I saw someone mention conflict zones, will your factions ships be green on radar automatically in confict zones?

You don't need to join anyone to gain rep. You just need to go to systems alligned to a given power and run missions for groups that are affiliated with said major faction. The more missions you do, the more rep you'll gain, eventually going from Neutral to Friendly to Allied.

You can also gain rep via bounty hunting by going to a system alligned to a power and killing lot so of wanted ships in RES sites. Also via combat by going to conflict zones and aligning yourself to whatever power in the conflict is associated with the major power.

You may be able to also get rep via mining and trading at aligned stations but I'm not sure about that. If you need further details or how-tos let me me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpZ1Nb1mO0

Kind of long but combines some of the best trailers and its fairly recent.

Thanks, perfect--I can at least use part of this.

Below is a good link of summary of what has been confirmed/shown during the streams and upcoming streams.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MDI_h0SDE5_qITpMLMi7rst9oxRHyfqvqiOcsBwSawQ/edit

I like this stuff:

Gives the BGS some visibility i.e. if in war refugees might want to get out and near by soldiers wanting to get in
Different classes of cabins (new class of modules you can fit in ships) Economy, First Class and Luxury Suite
Hyperspace has been revisited - Showing the star you're going towards getting closer
All ships can take passengers (pretty much) - just normal modules
Passenger might ask you to do some 'stuff' on route - i.e. visit a combat zone. And you get a 'tip' for 'good money' - You get a message when they've seen enough. They can 'be a diva' many times on route to the real destination. We can obviously refuse these requests
More Science added to White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars Synchrotron radiation (looks like a spinning top)
Plate tectonics is modelled - adding in volcanism. Not always molten rock. Also molten CO2 or Water, same basic idea though! ‘Coming to 2.2.’ Also brings up rares to be discovered

Getting some Planet Coaster vibes from the passenger ships. Wonder if managing how entertaining your passenger ship is will be a new meta? Could be really cool!

jet1911

Thanks, perfect--I can at least use part of this.

I like this stuff:

Gives the BGS some visibility i.e. if in war refugees might want to get out and near by soldiers wanting to get in
Different classes of cabins (new class of modules you can fit in ships) Economy, First Class and Luxury Suite
Hyperspace has been revisited - Showing the star you're going towards getting closer
All ships can take passengers (pretty much) - just normal modules
Passenger might ask you to do some 'stuff' on route - i.e. visit a combat zone. And you get a 'tip' for 'good money' - You get a message when they've seen enough. They can 'be a diva' many times on route to the real destination. We can obviously refuse these requests
More Science added to White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars Synchrotron radiation (looks like a spinning top)
Plate tectonics is modelled - adding in volcanism. Not always molten rock. Also molten CO2 or Water, same basic idea though! ‘Coming to 2.2.’ Also brings up rares to be discovered

Getting some Planet Coaster vibes from the passenger ships. Wonder if managing how entertaining your passenger ship is will be a new meta? Could be really cool!

Just to be sure I understand correctly. Will it be possible to be an interstellar space bus driver? Because if the answer is yes they just got a new sale lol.

Passengers adds a lot future possibilities too. Like inserting troops to take over a station and possibly getting a big seige set piece between powers for actuall change of control.

Or landing in engineers to repair stations bricked by UAs.

Taking over ground facilities or even boarding parties for cap ships. Excited to see where it goes.

Sound like you are talking about Powerplay allegiances.

This is different to the regular Fed/Imp/Alliance faction.
Fed/Imp/Alliance faction rep is gained by doing any mission for groups that are aligned to the major faction. It is also gained by turning in bounties and exploration data at a Fed/Imp/Alliance station. And it can be gained/lost by fighting for/against alligned groups in

Powerplay is different. And complicated. You gain powerplay points/ranks by helping preparation/expansion/defence of your Powerplay systems. Note that while Powerplay factions are Fed/Imp/Alliance/Neutral, their controlled systems don't have to match. So you can fight to gain faction with the Empress powerplay character but that won't necessarily help your Empire faction standing.
The tasks vary for each powerplay person, but generally involve:

Preparation) Taking powerplay cargo items from a 'controlled' system to an unaffiliated system.
Defence) Taking powerplay cargo items from your Powerplay home system to a 'controlled' system.
Expansion) Sometimes taking powerplay cargo to the target expansion system, sometimes going to the system and fighting in specific Powerplay conflict zones, sometimes hijacking cargo from enemy powerplay faction ships in that system, sometimes destroying enemy powerplay faction ships in that system.

Powerplay generally requires a decent weekly time investment for a worthwhile reward. It's not necessarily an end-game activity, but you need to spend a few hours a week doing powerplay stuff to rank up and maintain your rank. If you take a break for a week or two to go exploring or do some distant community goal, or real-life vacation - then your powerplay rank will drop and you lose access to the rewards.

Main faction rank also decays back to neutral over time (real time, not game time! Unless they've changed that in a patch since most players hated the concept). I think it decays quite slowly but it was constantly being tweaked and I'm not sure where it stands now.

I don't even know what I'm looking at in that docking image. Where did that come from?

Sorry, forgot to add the source. via reddit

Just to be sure I understand correctly. Will it be possible to be an interstellar space bus driver? Because if the answer is yes they just got a new sale lol.

Yup! You can do bulk or VIP missions. You have to install cabin modules in your ship in order to transport passengers, and different modules have different levels of luxury (and cost).

The VIP missions sound most interesting. Some won't accept a ride on your ship if it's not at a certain level of luxury and they will also offer you extra money to take them "off course"--for instance, "I'll give you X credit if you take me into that combat zone!"

There is apparently an unconfirmed rumor that you could sell your precious passenger cargo as slaves...but not yet confirmed.

I think I'd be more interested in the VIP transport stuff if the face of the VIP would pop up on the HUD when they ask to see some new location.

I need some life in the game. Re-appropriating the same existing assets over and over again has inherent limitations.

jet1911

Sorry, forgot to add the source. via reddit

Yup! You can do bulk or VIP missions. You have to install cabin modules in your ship in order to transport passengers, and different modules have different levels of luxury (and cost).

The VIP missions sound most interesting. Some won't accept a ride on your ship if it's not at a certain level of luxury and they will also offer you extra money to take them "off course"--for instance, "I'll give you X credit if you take me into that combat zone!"

There is apparently an unconfirmed rumor that you could sell your precious passenger cargo as slaves...but not yet confirmed.

Wow that's great. I just hope that the grind won't be too severe when starting from scratch to buy one of those ships.

Yep. Just keep in mind that starting the game fresh you're going to have to work your way up to being able to afford buying an Orca or Beluga. They are not cheap ships haha. :p

Yep. Just keep in mind that starting the game fresh you're going to have to work your way up to being able to afford buying an Orca or Beluga. They are not cheap ships haha. :p

Apparently, *any* ship can get a cabin module...but of course, passenger ships will likely have access to the best and largest ones. So it might be possible to run VIP transport missions in my Vulture, but I doubt I could do the bulk missions.

I wonder how much a Beluga will cost. And if I reach a point where I'm so bored of combat that I'd actually purchase and use one. I'm down to like $600 mill brehs ;_;

Nymerio

I skipped Horizons but I'm kind of itching to get back in. Is it a good time get Horizons or should I just wait for the next expansion?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Tempted on dropping 50 bucks on an entry level HOTAS like thrustmaster t flight x.

But I can't shake this feeling like my keyboard and mouse set up is better for precision lateral thrust control and the mouse is better for fixed weapons.

derFeef

Tempted on dropping 50 bucks on an entry level HOTAS like thrustmaster t flight x.

But I can't shake this feeling like my keyboard and mouse set up is better for precision lateral thrust control and the mouse is better for fixed weapons.

Love my M+KB setup, feels really nice in dofights and I am very manouverable, which I can't say when I paly with gamepad ;)
Simetimes I think of buying a HOTAS but then this is more simple and requires no setup. Better for my desk as well since I do not have that much space.

Anyway, got interdicted 3 times and destroyed 3 times... might be neough for today...

I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for $30 and it's fantastic. I have no idea if it's more precise or not, but it's definitely more fun imo.

Got interdicted for the first time today. The NPC that pulled me out was "harmless" and I was in my newly decked out Viper. He got obliterated and it was satisfying.

joecanada

Sound like you are talking about Powerplay allegiances.

This is different to the regular Fed/Imp/Alliance faction.
Fed/Imp/Alliance faction rep is gained by doing any mission for groups that are aligned to the major faction. It is also gained by turning in bounties and exploration data at a Fed/Imp/Alliance station. And it can be gained/lost by fighting for/against alligned groups in

Powerplay is different. And complicated. You gain powerplay points/ranks by helping preparation/expansion/defence of your Powerplay systems. Note that while Powerplay factions are Fed/Imp/Alliance/Neutral, their controlled systems don't have to match. So you can fight to gain faction with the Empress powerplay character but that won't necessarily help your Empire faction standing.
The tasks vary for each powerplay person, but generally involve:

Preparation) Taking powerplay cargo items from a 'controlled' system to an unaffiliated system.
Defence) Taking powerplay cargo items from your Powerplay home system to a 'controlled' system.
Expansion) Sometimes taking powerplay cargo to the target expansion system, sometimes going to the system and fighting in specific Powerplay conflict zones, sometimes hijacking cargo from enemy powerplay faction ships in that system, sometimes destroying enemy powerplay faction ships in that system.

Powerplay generally requires a decent weekly time investment for a worthwhile reward. It's not necessarily an end-game activity, but you need to spend a few hours a week doing powerplay stuff to rank up and maintain your rank. If you take a break for a week or two to go exploring or do some distant community goal, or real-life vacation - then your powerplay rank will drop and you lose access to the rewards.

Main faction rank also decays back to neutral over time (real time, not game time! Unless they've changed that in a patch since most players hated the concept). I think it decays quite slowly but it was constantly being tweaked and I'm not sure where it stands now.

ah yes thanks this is what I was looking for... no thanks . not right now. I do play almost every day but its enough to log in find a few missions and complete them. so is it better to be not aligned then if you aren't active or it doesn't matter?

thanks @ Dreams too - gives me more details to work with for building rep.

Is there a good way to find good gear? I am having the problem where I have an app to find systems that are good , but they don't show in relation to me. do I just go into galaxy map and type in the system names and see which is closest or is there a faster way?
also I can't seem to figure out how to filter for high tech systems? how do you do this,??

DrBo42

ah yes thanks this is what I was looking for... no thanks . not right now. I do play almost every day but its enough to log in find a few missions and complete them. so is it better to be not aligned then if you aren't active or it doesn't matter?

thanks @ Dreams too - gives me more details to work with for building rep.

Is there a good way to find good gear? I am having the problem where I have an app to find systems that are good , but they don't show in relation to me. do I just go into galaxy map and type in the system names and see which is closest or is there a faster way?
also I can't seem to figure out how to filter for high tech systems? how do you do this,??
Change map type off of realistic (can't remember what the name of the correct one is) sort by Economy, high tech.

derFeef

Searched an hour for a Black Box.
Found Black Box.
Go to delivery port.
Port does not take Black Box - Mission seems broken.
Yay!

joecanada

I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for $30 and it's fantastic. I have no idea if it's more precise or not, but it's definitely more fun imo.

Got interdicted for the first time today. The NPC that pulled me out was "harmless" and I was in my newly decked out Viper. He got obliterated and it was satisfying.

I'm feeling fine with the xbox one controller, except of course all the money I dropped to make it wireless when it doesn't wireless at all. lol windows 10.

getting interdicted in a Viper MKIII is the best feeling in the game.... in a hauler, not so much you are fighting and fighting....praying

in a viper though, just hit throttle to 0 and laugh.

Pomerlaw

I'm feeling fine with the xbox one controller, except of course all the money I dropped to make it wireless when it doesn't wireless at all. lol windows 10.

getting interdicted in a Viper MKIII is the best feeling in the game.... in a hauler, not so much you are fighting and fighting....praying

in a viper though, just hit throttle to 0 and laugh.

I see you have never been interdicted by an Elite Clipper.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I have not played since a long time, messed around the horizon beta and stopped since.

I have a feeling that coming back to the game now, with powerplay/engineers and all the added layers would make it hard to return. Kind of like when EVE started to expand from its early skeleton phase in the beginning up to the point where you need excel sheets in space to keep up..

Stacking boom deliveries is no damn joke my word.

Went from no rank with the empire earlier this evening and now I'm on a navy mission to get me to Master so I can snag an Imperial Courier. Those little 1:1 system trips with 20 stacked missions is crazy lucrative lol.

JambiBum

So I really hope that one day they put CQC arenas into the main game instead of just a standalone thing. It would be pretty nice to be able to go to a station and just immediately get into a match or spectate matches. They could put arenas on planets so that you could have surface level matches as well. Although adding different arenas like that would probably make it more difficult to join matches. Maybe it wouldn't if it was a part of the main game though.

So I really hope that one day they put CQC arenas into the main game instead of just a standalone thing. It would be pretty nice to be able to go to a station and just immediately get into a match or spectate matches. They could put arenas on planets so that you could have surface level matches as well. Although adding different arenas like that would probably make it more difficult to join matches. Maybe it wouldn't if it was a part of the main game though.
Would be cool for immersion's sake, but I imagine it being more sparse of players because they'd have to travel to whatever station(s) and hope other players went there as well. Hmm.

Absolutely love how this ship looks. I've got my trusty AspE for hauling/exploring. This'll be my trigger finger scratch for now. >:]

9odDcdR.jpg

ybObp47.jpg

8bWBIDc.jpg

DrBo42

Fighter time.

Launch and docking

Combat Hope they find a way to balance this before launch that makes sense.

Up to 16 SLF's (might need to confirm that) can be carried, depending on your ship. It's possible to carry different SLF's on the same ship. /u/Barking_Madness
28 minutes agoPilots can give commands to SLF's and tell them to either 'follow, stay put or follow you main ship'. /u/Barking_Madness
28 minutes agoInitial outlay will not be 'trivial'. The fighter hangar will take up room as with any addition to the ship in outlaying. /u/Barking_Madness
29 minutes agoThere will be paint jobs for fighters /u/IdolonInMachina
36 minutes agoBuying a fighter bay, will enable players to construct fighters whilst in flight. /u/Barking_Madness
36 minutes agoFighter bays can '3D Print' new fighters. /u/IdolonInMachina
38 minutes agoFighters will have 3-4 loadouts. Weapons + Utilities (Chaff, Point Defence and Heat Sinks). /u/ChristianM
40 minutes agoFighter hangars can be purchased from outfitting /u/IdolonInMachina
an hour ago'Telepresence' - The commander isn't actually in the fighter, they are in the main ship. /u/IdolonInMachina
an hour agoBasic ethos is that they are 'glass cannons' - fragile but powerful. It will give larger non combat ships some teeth, enabling them to take on attack based craft. /u/Barking_Madness
an hour agoNew Independent Taipan fighter confirmed. /u/Barking_Madness
an hour agoFighters will be fragile but very powerful

There are 3 SLF available to players. The F63-Condor, the Imperial Fighter and the Independent Taipan fighter. This is the new Alliance fighter, which is said to be the most powerful of the three.

Taipan – the most robust of the three, faster recharge for it’s shields but is the slowest and has the worst manoeuvrability.

F63 – the most lightly armoured, has medium manoeuvrability, but is the fastest of the three.

Imperial Fighter – Most fragile of the three, not the fastest but the most manoeuvrable of any ship in the game.

Taipan paint jobs

Federal fighter paint jobs

Imperial fighter paint jobs

Top Bottom