• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

~Cross~

The t16000 bundled with a better throttle was basically the exact product I would want from thrustmaster. The hotas x is good for its price, but the market desperately needs a step above it and below the big flagship sets.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There is an official ED hotas coming out in September that i am waiting for.

Mapping-stationT16000MHotas.jpg

Oh wow I was gonna pick up a t flight but I might hold out for this just because of all the hats it has. For 130 this looks like a really solid step up with out being really expensive. Shame about the linear throttle though lol.

My main issue with the t flight hotas x is that it only has the one hat on the stick which looks like you're gonna have to get creative to bind lateral thrusts and PIPs to and it doesn't really have all the buttons for comfortable UI control and kinda makes you have to put functions like landing gear, cargo scoop and FSD on the keyboard.

Xater

Whoaw, that was quick, i'll start tonight. Was it any good?

This is off-topic, but yes it was very good. It's more of the same. They maybe could have done a bit more with the formula and the ending was a little unsatisfying. The story just ended with too many loose ends and some clear sequel teasing. The Breach mode is dumb though.

Caayn

Is there anyway to transfer your ships/progress from the XB1 version to the PC version? I own both versions and just installed a GTX1070 in my PC so I'd rather play that version but I don't really want to start from scratch.

Xater

Does anyone know why achievements don't pop up for me in Elite? I clearly earn them, I just don't get the notification while playing.

Hi guys. I'm pleased to report that I was able to find whatever that material was that I couldn't find last week.

That said, feeling like I have to start over with every engineer I unlock feels kinda wasteful. I have a lot of certain resources to burn....but some resources are in a bit of shot supply to just have to throw them away to level engineers to the desired rank. I'm glad to hear commodity storage is coming at some point. It really hampers certain upgrades for small ships. Especially given how hard it is to find certain commodities that aren't available for purchase from markets. I have only seen Phraseodynium once in life. lol

Reckheim

Hi guys. I'm pleased to report that I was able to find whatever that material was that I couldn't find last week.

That said, feeling like I have to start over with every engineer I unlock feels kinda wasteful. I have a lot of certain resources to burn....but some resources are in a bit of shot supply to just have to throw them away to level engineers to the desired rank. I'm glad to hear commodity storage is coming at some point. It really hampers certain upgrades for small ships. Especially given how hard it is to find certain commodities that aren't available for purchase from markets. I have only seen Phraseodynium once in life. lol

Try using the website below next time you are looking for commodities. Saves a lot of time and sanity.

http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Edit: You're right. Phraseodynium is pretty much non existent lol.

la_briola

Is there anyway to transfer your ships/progress from the XB1 version to the PC version? I own both versions and just installed a GTX1070 in my PC so I'd rather play that version but I don't really want to start from scratch.

No.
If you really want to make the switch, I would suggest asking the support if they could do something like this. Worth a try.

Try using the website below next time you are looking for commodities. Saves a lot of time and sanity.

http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Edit: You're right. Phraseodynium is pretty much non existent lol.

Yea I've been using the trading tools for as many of the commodities as can be actually bought from a market, but many of them (like Phraseodynium) appear to only be acquired from mission rewards. The problem, of course, is that most missions offer nothing but cash rewards in the first place, and fewer still offer any material or commodity worth doing the mission to get.

Like, I don't mind flying 400LY to get a hull full of some hard-to-find material. I have Netflix playing on another window, so the journey is fine. I *do* mind when a material is gated with no even semi-reliable way of acquiring it specifically. At least with ground materials I can look at the system maps and see the makeup of places I can land on. The RNG from the mission board as it pertains specifically to these materials is not enjoyable at all.

That HOTAS looks nice. Might have to pick that up when it comes out.

As an aside, I saw this video posted in a SC thread about using twin sticks over HOTAS and it seemed pretty interesting. Has anyone tried this with Elite or would it not really benefit from it? I've never really struggled with a HOTAS like the guy in the video did, but I'm always open to trying new control options.

Rutti

That community bounty thing is great. I got 200k in bounties and I am in the top 75%. That will be a lot of credits for a newbie like me. I think tomorrow I'll try the open play in there.

Rutti

Nice. What are you flying in presently? How do you like it so far?

I still flying an Adder. I had the credits to get an Cobra mk3. But I decided first to come and check the community goal first.

I like just flying around and doing combat every once in a while. I haven't really been able to commit to do anything as main thing so currently I just play few hours every few days and have fun with this.

I still flying an Adder. I had the credits to get an Cobra mk3. But I decided first to come and check the community goal first.

I like just flying around and doing combat every once in a while. I haven't really been able to commit to do anything as main thing so currently I just play few hours every few days and have fun with this.

How much cargo space does an Adder have? I'm happy to swing by and make a donation.

DrBo42

Yea I've been using the trading tools for as many of the commodities as can be actually bought from a market, but many of them (like Phraseodynium) appear to only be acquired from mission rewards. The problem, of course, is that most missions offer nothing but cash rewards in the first place, and fewer still offer any material or commodity worth doing the mission to get.

Like, I don't mind flying 400LY to get a hull full of some hard-to-find material. I have Netflix playing on another window, so the journey is fine. I *do* mind when a material is gated with no even semi-reliable way of acquiring it specifically. At least with ground materials I can look at the system maps and see the makeup of places I can land on. The RNG from the mission board as it pertains specifically to these materials is not enjoyable at all.

Praseodymium is a mining resource via belts etc. You know you can select each resource from a blueprint to get more info on it/where it can be found right? Same if you select one in your materials or data tab.

Thanks but I'm good. I want to take this easy and that community goal reward is going to be plenty atm.

glhf

keep kicking ass.

Praseodymium is a mining resource via belts etc. You know you can select each resource from a blueprint to get more info on it/where it can be found right? Same if you select one in your materials or data tab.

I noticed that yesterday. I'll see if I can increase my luck that way for some of the new recipies I need to create.

It's weird having a swiss army knife for a main ship. My Cutter basically has a little of everything so that I can do whatever needs to be done to get a mat or scan or commodity. It's kinda cool though, being able to sort of do anything at any time. But I also realize this only works for ships with so much power, hard point and internal space to spare that little is actually being sacrificed. I'm trying to imagine doing this with a Vulture and having to swap hard points and drop essential internals to mine some random-ass rock. In a Vulture. Because there's no other way to get it in your hull.

Yea, I'm probably not going to bother modding any ship smaller than a FdL until commodity storage at Engineer bases comes out. For certain commodities, anyway.

Hylian7

I kind of want that new HOTAS, but I'm wondering how much of an upgrade from my X52 it would be.

Still have a hard time finding motivation to play until 2.2 comes out...

DrBo42

glhf

keep kicking ass.

I noticed that yesterday. I'll see if I can increase my luck that way for some of the new recipies I need to create.

It's weird having a swiss army knife for a main ship. My Cutter basically has a little of everything so that I can do whatever needs to be done to get a mat or scan or commodity. It's kinda cool though, being able to sort of do anything at any time. But I also realize this only works for ships with so much power, hard point and internal space to spare that little is actually being sacrificed. I'm trying to imagine doing this with a Vulture and having to swap hard points and drop essential internals to mine some random-ass rock. In a Vulture. Because there's no other way to get it in your hull.

Yea, I'm probably not going to bother modding any ship smaller than a FdL until commodity storage at Engineer bases comes out. For certain commodities, anyway.

Yeah the Cutter is pretty much my default material collector and Engineer farming ship. Pretty interchangeable with a Conda in that way. Although I grabbed the Corvette from dock to throw incendiary multis on and head to the CG. Melts as expected, even with sturdy mounts instead of overcharged.

joecanada

wow after watching a youtube video which I thought was pretty cool I went ham on my Viper III , switching all the weapons around.... first I ran

Level 1 and 2 beam lasers on the left side and Level 1 and 2 cannons on the right....

now I am running level 1 beam laser on left with a level 2 multicannon and the two canons on the right.

I hadn't realized how weak the shields really were until now, I can sometimes rack up a kill on a lesser ship in two strafing runs, like 20 seconds flat. plus you save on heat and power too.

the beam laser is just there to knock down the shields a bit, then the three canons rip the ship to shreds. especially having two level 2 canons.

Yeah the Cutter is pretty much my default material collector and Engineer farming ship. Pretty interchangeable with a Conda in that way. Although I grabbed the Corvette from dock to throw incendiary multis on and head to the CG. Melts as expected, even with sturdy mounts instead of overcharged.

how does one "throw" incendiary multis on a ship? I think I've gotten one special mod roll in maybe 20 tries on my multicannon Cutter. are you doing the "trade rep for specific mod" thing? I'd like incendiaries for all 5 of my multicannon hardpoints on my Cutter but 0 luck.

aliengmr

Heading to Sag A*, got about 10k ly to go, any tips jumping directly to it?

Am I going to be pulled out of SC immediately?

Can you SC from a nearby star? I assume not, but I am not sure.

The most versatile ship.

Big size, medium landing pad, big guns, good maneuvering.

Actually the maneuvering is among the very worst in the game. Which is why I said it's great with some engine mods. The pitch rate on a vanilla Python is one of the worst experiences in Elite:Dangerous and the top speed is laughable. But with a good dirty tune? Shit's excellent.

Actually the maneuvering is among the very worst in the game. Which is why I said it's great with some engine mods. The pitch rate on a vanilla Python is one of the worst experiences in Elite:Dangerous and the top speed is laughable. But with a good dirty tune? Shit's excellent.

I dont recall it being so bad, must be because i was flying a T9 SPACE WHALE too at the time. That was without a doubt the most traumatic flying i ever done ! lol.

JambiBum

DV, You know that you don't have to use materials to grind engineer ranks right? You can also use exploration data and combat bonds depending on what type of engineer you are at. Just sell the info like you would at a normal station and it will increase rank.

zorbsie

Heading to Sag A*, got about 10k ly to go, any tips jumping directly to it?

Am I going to be pulled out of SC immediately?

Can you SC from a nearby star? I assume not, but I am not sure.

You can jump right to it. When I went I throttled down as soon as the jump ended. Was never too close to the black hole. scanned it and left. Was too worried about losing the ship.

Caayn

You can jump right to it. When I went I throttled down as soon as the jump ended. Was never too close to the black hole. scanned it and left. Was too worried about losing the ship.
Don't know if it's the same for the PC version, but last week I tried to fly straight into a black hole but hit an invisible wall roughly 30km from the core. Ship didn't take any damage.

DrBo42

how does one "throw" incendiary multis on a ship? I think I've gotten one special mod roll in maybe 20 tries on my multicannon Cutter. are you doing the "trade rep for specific mod" thing? I'd like incendiaries for all 5 of my multicannon hardpoints on my Cutter but 0 luck.
Yep. Just rolling enough to build the rep back up for another favor, over and over. Was only grade 2 sturdy mount, not too bad.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has the tutorial in Elite: Dangerous gotten any better? I've tried to get into it a few different times but it always seems so impenetrable to me.

~Cross~

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has the tutorial in Elite: Dangerous gotten any better? I've tried to get into it a few different times but it always seems so impenetrable to me.

Not really. The best way to play Elite is to jump right in, not gonna lose anything when your sidewinder blows up.

quick question as a person looking for a space game to play, is enjoying eve for what it is right now, and is disappointed as hell in NMS

will I enjoy this game as a casual mining/trading game with some pve combat mixed in or is it too much of a sim for that?

Noobcraft

Don't know if it's the same for the PC version, but last week I tried to fly straight into a black hole but hit an invisible wall roughly 30km from the core. Ship didn't take any damage.
I think Sagittarius A causes heat damage to make it impossible to fly into.

Reckheim

quick question as a person looking for a space game to play, is enjoying eve for what it is right now, and is disappointed as hell in NMS

will I enjoy this game as a casual mining/trading game with some pve combat mixed in or is it too much of a sim for that?
Based on what you said you are looking for, absolutely.

Top Bottom