• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

Thinking of finally getting into this. Is there a single player campaign as well? Overall would u guys suggest it?

No single player campaign. All the story there is, is currently driven through textual (partly ingame) news messages by devs or player submitted news articles. Or by crpytic hints left for the players to interpret and decode.

It's an open ended sandbox game, which is still in a somewhat incomplete state and gets extended over time. You can play both, alone or in multi player. World state is synched across these modes via the game's servers.

I have a hard time suggesting the game, because it's about my favorite game on one hand, but a woefully incomplete one and sometimes very poorly designed one at the same time. If you're into space games, I'd say it's very much worth a look. It's not that there will be any similarily scoped alternatives in a post alpha state for quiet some time.

I can't recommend ObsidianAnt's videos enough. Great tutorials and great videos - here is a starter tutorial which helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKAteZ2y4

ObsidianAnt is the greatest

Thinking of finally getting into this. Is there a single player campaign as well? Overall would u guys suggest it?

No single player campaign. There's not really a story-driven narrative in Elite. You're a space pilot in a living, breathing, galactic sandbox. The story is what you create for yourself, essentially. There's some backbone threads of warring or sparring powers and there's an impending threat of aliens showing up, but aside from that it's very much a straight space sim.

If the thought of zipping around the galaxy shooting, hauling, mining or just exploring and looking at stuff appeals to you, then yes, I would suggest it.

zorbsie

Dog fighting a Python in my Anaconda. Had him down to 60%. I was almost full shields and 100% hull. He totally rammed me from underneath. Dropped my shields and hull down to 70%. Made him pay for that, but still watch out for the rammers. :)

They tell you the system that they should be found in. You go to that system's nav beacon and scan it. You will get a message about which planet the target should be near. Fly close to that planet and eventually a mission objective signal source will appear. Drop into that USS and your target will be there, usually protected heavily for the high paying missions.

I had a 2.5 mil assassination mission and the target was flying an FDL and was protected by 4 Pythons. I go all in on the target for these missions and ignore the other ships in the wing and kill them as fast as possible popping shield cells as needed and get the hell out. I use an FDL so escaping is not an issue and I have enough firepower to deal with any ship reasonably quickly.

Thanks for taking time to explain that. I think I need some better weaponry before I take on targets like that.

Dog fighting a Python in my Anaconda. Had him down to 60%. I was almost full shields and 100% hull. He totally rammed me from underneath. Dropped my shields and hull down to 70%. Made him pay for that, but still watch out for the rammers. :)
Those cheeky sods in their pythons I tell ya ;)

Rutti

Heh. I saw a wing of 3 wanted guys chasing down some poor fellow. After killing 2 of them I accidentally targeted and killed the guy that was chased. Cops didn't appreciate that.

la_briola

https://youtu.be/uezbn1n5XMA
bounty-wag.gif

DrBo42

They tell you the system that they should be found in. You go to that system's nav beacon and scan it. You will get a message about which planet the target should be near. Fly close to that planet and eventually a mission objective signal source will appear. Drop into that USS and your target will be there, usually protected heavily for the high paying missions.

I had a 2.5 mil assassination mission and the target was flying an FDL and was protected by 4 Pythons. I go all in on the target for these missions and ignore the other ships in the wing and kill them as fast as possible popping shield cells as needed and get the hell out. I use an FDL so escaping is not an issue and I have enough firepower to deal with any ship reasonably quickly.

Do you happen to know if they spawn more often in certain system states or security ratings? I haven't seen one in a long time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

My favorite are suicide sideys who ram you but don't realize you still have 3 rings of shield and explode on impact.

Heh. I saw a wing of 3 wanted guys chasing down some poor fellow. After killing 2 of them I accidentally targeted and killed the guy that was chased. Cops didn't appreciate that.

I have been killed so many times because of this, haha. Frustrating but my own fault, really.

Anyone know if there is a way to separate voice chat to the headset instead of speakers? I already wear my headset with TrackIR but having voice chat play through speakers is distracting.

Do you happen to know if they spawn more often in certain system states or security ratings? I haven't seen one in a long time.

I'm sure there is but I haven't had to search. The system that I keep all my ships at at the moment is Bhotho and the missions spawn there semi-regularly.

Nheco

How exploration works is a bit shallow, you essentially jump in a system and scan it and do a lot of planet/star watching, that's my favorite activity and i'm slowly upgrading my ship to make the trip to the Sagittarius A since the last time i tried it my ship got wrecked 15000 light years away when i crashed into a high gravity planet. No other sci-fi game has given me the sense of scale and discovery as Elite has even though the actual scanning of stellar bodies is not all that interesting.

Watch some heavily edited videos of Elite and try it out if it seems cool, a lot of the time if you are not doing any combat the game can feel like Euro truck sim where you just sit back and watch the scenery while waiting for you to reach your destination.

If that pack includes the base game and Horizons (Horizons is the season pass essentially) it's a lot of game for $35. I would give it a shot, just keep in mind some of the big updates are still to come this year and beyond.

Exploration in the game is more realistic than NMS for sure. Very barren dead worlds making up most of the galaxy. Currently landings are limited to airless bodies but they'll include atmosphere in the years to come and getting out of the ship etc. Here's what you can expect right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnbppakVE_s

Obsidian Ant's "The Galaxy"

And unlike NMS bodies actually rotate and orbit. Here's Mitterand Hollow which is a moon that orbits its planet insanely fast. Pretty surreal when you're down there in the SRV driving along the surface.

Thanks a lot guys, tonight I will check the videos and some let's play. According everything I have read so far, it is right on my alley

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't think you can assign specific parts of the audio to separate devices. Do other pc games with voice chat do that?

Have game audio coming through surround sound, want only voice chat coming through the headset.

The only way to do this is probably with a separate voip program. Like for example in skype you could try selecting just the headphones as the audio output device and then in your PC audio options make sure all other sound sources have your speakers selected, I imagine it's a bit finicky to setup.

Just thinking out loud lol, im sure it's possible but you're gonna need a separate voice chat program.

Good to see the newbs having a good time. Wait until a capital ship drops in on you in a Conflict Zone. >:-3

Next time I spot one, I'll let you guys know where so you can join in on the festivities.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I can't do this community goal while being aligned to A Duval. I jump into a RE site, find a target and start doing my thing. Next thing I know I'm being shot at by someone other than my target, and the map now has an additional three red triangles. WTF?! I quickly check to see if my target is in a wing, which he isn't. I die and the game tells me, "killed by alliance enforcer." Mother fuckers!

So is my only option to drop support for her for the next few days and then realign? Is there a penalty from her if a drop support but not align with anyone else?

So I can't do this community goal while being aligned to A Duval. I jump into a RE site, find a target and start doing my thing. Next thing I know I'm being shot at by someone other than my target, and the map now has an additional three red triangles. WTF?! I quickly check to see if my target is in a wing, which he isn't. I die and the game tells me, "killed by alliance enforcer." Mother fuckers!

So is my only option to drop support for her for the next few days and then realign? Is there a penalty from her if a drop support but not align with anyone else?
Yea probably. One of the many reasons I am no longer aligned to any power after some 9 months of loyalty was the ability to go anywhere and not be seen as an enemy that can be fired upon for free.

I find faction alignment not worth it for me anymore. Not with Engineer upgrades being available. ALD and others remain worth it for those looking to grow their wallets faster, but money isn't a driving factor for me anymore.

Weird. You sure your hold is empty?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Good to see the newbs having a good time. Wait until a capital ship drops in on you in a Conflict Zone. >:-3

Next time I spot one, I'll let you guys know where so you can join in on the festivities.

My first attempt at bounty hunting I dropped into a conflict zone as a capital ship dropped in on top of me and I was sent spinning out of control hahaha, the shift in music made the whole thing horrifying.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yeah I had switched to a brand new Cobra after the ASP I arrived in kept getting hounded by this one particularly persistent pirate, who followed me into a REand killed me. So I thought maybe the ASP is the type of ship people target in RE zones lol. I bought a Cobra (could barely outfit it, what a garbage system), and then headed out again.

Edit: wait, those were the cops?! Hahaha would explain why everyone was suddenly red targets when I first jumped into a RE with the ASP. I hadn't played the game since April, so I figured they changed something.

DrBo42

Yeah I had switched to a brand new Cobra after the ASP I arrived in kept getting hounded by this one particularly persistent pirate, who followed me into a REand killed me. So I thought maybe the ASP is the type of ship people target in RE zones lol. I bought a Cobra (could barely outfit it, what a garbage system), and then headed out again.

Edit: wait, those were the cops?! Hahaha would explain why everyone was suddenly red targets when I first jumped into a RE with the ASP. I hadn't played the game since April, so I figured they changed something.

Yeah if you're on that powers home turf, they can fire on you without being wanted. If you fire back to defend yourself, it's a criminal action, hence the authority response.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I dropped in to a conflict zone on 10 Tauri last night to try a quick load out. 2 battling Capital Ships dropped in and just started raising hell. It was great.

Sorry for the poor quality screenshot. I play in VR and the screenshot captures the mirrored window on the monitor which runs at super crap quality.

aliengmr

How's the combat like in an ASP Explorer? I decided to go check the bounty hunting community goal with my Vulture (16 jumps from my current base of operations), and accidently hit RT on the controller, which made me deploy my weapons outside the starbase. I hadn't configured the module power usage thingy, so I lost my shields right outside of the base "no fire" zone. While I'm figuring this out, I suddenly get jumped by Alliance Enforcers in a pair of Condas and one other ship I couldn't tell. So naturally I was pissed and noped back to home (Gende).

I want to get in on that community goal but I don't want to make the trip in the vulture. So I have a pretty decked out ASP I can use.

ASP handles about how you would expect, a bit lumbering. It isn't awful, but there are better cheaper alternatives.

That being said, (It may have changed) but the ASP's boost makes fighting in asteroids a fucking pain. ASP likes to keep going after the booster stops.

Weapon placement is nice on the ASP though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I dropped in to a conflict zone on 10 Tauri last night to try a quick load out. 2 battling Capital Ships dropped in and just started raising hell. It was great.

Sorry for the poor quality screenshot. I play in VR and the screenshot captures the mirrored window on the monitor which runs at super crap quality.

Oh man could you share your UI color settings, that's the kinda shade of green I've been trying to get lol.

My first attempt at bounty hunting I dropped into a conflict zone as a capital ship dropped in on top of me and I was sent spinning out of control hahaha, the shift in music made the whole thing horrifying.

that's awesome haha. I still remember the first time a cap ship dropped in on me, July of last year. I was already having a blast because I was flying in a Courier (the most entertaining combat fighter in the game to this day!) and then INCOMING CAPITAL CLASS SIGNATURE DETECTED.

Shit mine as well have been one of the better episodes of Battlestar Galactica. The cap ship was ks'ing all of my kills because of some changes to how they work (in the past, people would exploit capital ships by letting them do most of the work, then swooping in to deal a little damage to get credit for the ship kills) but by gawd it was the funnest. The music, the scene, the scraping for every kill (because you have to work for every kill in a small ship)...it was glorious.

If I could only fly one ship in the game all the time, it'd be a Courier. With due respect to my FdL and $700 million+ Cutter, Corvette and Conda (all combat loaded). They're so strong combat becomes boring. I sip tea while doing combat in those ships. But the Courier? Each and every kill is satisfying. If not for trying to level these fucking engineers, I'd be flying in it right now. Alas, the combat Cutter will have to do for now. Fun in its own right when you can perma FA-Off turn boost and burn ships down with 5 multicannons. :333.

I need to get to a conflict zone now that I'm more comfortable with combat. I haven't seen a capital ship in-game yet!

inexplicably (Frontier is really good for inexplicable shit), conflict zones are awkward to find, and pinning down a capital class ship in one is the definition of dumb luck. I played as a pure combat pilot (CZs and RES sites) for 7 months before I ever saw a capital ship.

One really big quality of life improvement I think ED really needs is "hot spots" in the galaxy menu. Let players know where high concentrations of other players are. Let players know where capital ships have been detected. Make it clear what systems are in WAR state with conflict zones present. Do it right in the galaxy map with special symbols. That can help make the galaxy feel a lot less empty, allow players to find other players if they want to, and jump right into combat zones if that is their play style. Streamline this shit.

bj00rn_

Banned
So I'm in on the Arque community goal. Two hours of late night bounty hunting, got tired, went in for repairs... ...and then collected my bounties at that wrong station.. Oh well

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I'm in on the Arque community goal. Two hours of late night bounty hunting, got tired, went in for repairs... ...and then collected my bounties at that wrong station.. Oh well

Haha I did the same thing on my first night of it, I think I even collected two sets of bounties before I realized I was at the wrong station.

I switched to doing the arque bounties in solo mode because there were too many kill stealers last night and I made so much more money.

Just bought this game on a bit of a whim because it’s on sale. Any good starter guides out there? I’ve heard it’s fairly complex and a bit difficult to get into.
Re-bind yaw (side to side movement) to left and right mouse movement and re-bind the side spin buttons (originally left + right mouse movement) to A and D. Otherwise controlling the ship is an utter pain and all you'll do in the tutorials (let alone the real game, you'll never get out of the first system alive) is spin around like an asteroid on drugs.

Never understood why Frontier thought the standard bindings were a good idea, it's utterly unintuitive and forces everyone to google what the heck is wrong with the game when all they do is spinning around (I even thought my installation was borked when I started playing). Especially since you don't need to spin that much anyway (nothing you can't do with A and D) and yaw constantly.

Below is a pretty good video of a capital ship jumping in (i wouldn't watch it if you don't want to spoil your self, its one of the best things to experience in the game)

Watch it with sound turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwtZrtmOCU

According to reddit there is a capital ship somewhere in the Facece system if you're interested in looking for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4z6a6e/capital_class_detected_facece_sys/

I mean you can easily find capital ships parked near power capitals if that's what you want. You can go to Facece, Sol, or Procyon (if you have no permits) to see and fly around a capital ship.

Seeing one *in combat* is a different matter entirely.

Here is a better video of dueling capital ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de78Odrw6KE

Reckheim

Re-bind yaw (side to side movement) to left and right mouse movement and re-bind the side spin buttons (originally left + right mouse movement) to A and D. Otherwise controlling the ship is an utter pain and all you'll do in the tutorials (let alone the real game, you'll never get out of the first system alive) is spin around like an asteroid on drugs.

Never understood why Frontier thought the standard bindings were a good idea, it's utterly unintuitive and forces everyone to google what the heck is wrong with the game when all they do is spinning around (I even thought my installation was borked when I started playing). Especially since you don't need to spin that much anyway (nothing you can't do with A and D) and yaw constantly.

You could get used to it, I never changed it and still play with the original bindings.

You could get used to it, I never changed it and still play with the original bindings.

Really? The thought of starting to spin wildly whenever I slightly move the mouse even a milimiter or two to the right or left by accident gives me nightmares. Seriously, this stuff will kill you if it happens while trying to dogfight (like being on the tail of a Conda in a Viper or Courier) or trying to avoid a collision.

You must have a hand and nerves of steel if you manage to only ever move your mouse up and down unless you want it to. Anyway it's nothing I'd suggest to new players and the number of search results on google regarding it seem to support that it causes serious trouble with most people starting out. Using A and D for spinning is intuitive, works extremely well (giving you convinient WASD control of all the movement buttons you need) and is totally sufficient when you actually need it.

@Capital Ships: Is the Imperial Interdictor Capital Ship still a kitten without teeth or was it buffed? Last time I encountered one back in January it couldn't even destroy an Eagle because it was dealing pretty much no damage at all. Sure killed the awe of having it entering the battle real quick when I realized that an AI Vulture has far more bite and would have been a far bigger help.

Top Bottom