• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Caayn

Just managed to hit boost instead of dropping the landing gear inside a space station.

That's the end of my ship.
That's a recognizable mistake that I think all of us have made. Welcome to the club. There's no shame in crashing a space ship with ~1100KM/h into a wall.

Just managed to hit boost instead of dropping the landing gear inside a space station.

That's the end of my ship.
I still do this lmao. Zone out on delivery missions and suddenly I'm rocketing to the wall. 4 pips to SYS saves ya from blowing up tho.

Though since I bought a docking computer it's all daisies and roses, yo

I think this is my favorite space station, because palm trees.

wRHdwyg.jpg

Got my canopy cracked open during a frantic battle with a lawless Fer-de-Lance. Made it to a nearby planet just in time lol. That was... Stressful.

JambiBum

They've already stated that the transfer fees will be based on ship value + distance so I doubt that it's going to be a cheap thing that people can just constantly do.

For people asking about Sothis/Ceos and fed ranks, you can still run fed missions from Sothis to Ceos even though Ceos is out of commission. There's a fed contact in Sothis that will usually have data delivery missions to Ceos. Just run those and you'll get your rank up.

Oh man, I don't want more money sinks. I know you two punks are billionaires by now but I have a mere 650 million in assets. I can't even fully kit out an Anaconda.
I'm at 360mio only and yeah. No money sinks pls.

just crashed my Anaconda on the surface of a planet. God damnit, the D Thrusters are crap. They can't carry the ship the way needed without four pips to eng :( Next 50mio go in there for sure

jem0208

So my ship keeps overheating for some reason in combat.

How do I go about making sure that doesn't happen?

I think this is my favorite space station, because palm trees.

Got my canopy cracked open during a frantic battle with a lawless Fer-de-Lance. Made it to a nearby planet just in time lol. That was... Stressful.

Damn, I've only encountered two types of stations so far. I need to start exploring and finding these fancy places.

speaking of ranks, anyone know where I can go to build up some Sirius Corp rep? Finding stations with multiple Sirius faction reps seems impossible and it's going to take me a week trying to run one mission at a time for the same rep. help.

Jedi2016

speaking of ranks, anyone know where I can go to build up some Sirius Corp rep? Finding stations with multiple Sirius faction reps seems impossible and it's going to take me a week trying to run one mission at a time for the same rep. help.
Yeah, I'm gonna need this myself in a couple weeks when I get back, I'll need access to Sirius for engineers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked it up on the Xbox sale. Had a bit of a hard with the demo, but I'm looking forward to giving it another try. Need to watch some of those tutorial videos.

Bubba77

Picked it up on the Xbox sale. Had a bit of a hard with the demo, but I'm looking forward to giving it another try. Need to watch some of those tutorial videos.

Theres a bunch of great youtube videos showing how to get started. In addition to the tuturials.

Alsothe ed reddit community is very helpful

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I still do this lmao. Zone out on delivery missions and suddenly I'm rocketing to the wall. 4 pips to SYS saves ya from blowing up tho.

Though since I bought a docking computer it's all daisies and roses, yo

Wuuut, did they fix the docking computer? Cause it was hilariously dangerouse to use it before.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm very close to getting an Asp Explorer kitted for trade, between liquid credits and selling my old type 6.

Should I sell the 6, buy the Asp, and sell modules from my Viper IV to purchase cargo?

Or keep the Type 6 for now?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
For some reason using a fuel scoop is really fun.

While exploring, speed jonking while scooping as fast as you can without getting kicked out of supercruise is a minigame all its own. I love my 6A fuel scoop in my Asp coupled with my half sized 16T fuel tank, takes like 18 seconds to go from totally empty to full. Usually I'm done scooping before the FSD even cools down, lol.

I'm very close to getting an Asp Explorer kitted for trade, between liquid credits and selling my old type 6.

Should I sell the 6, buy the Asp, and sell modules from my Viper IV to purchase cargo?

Or keep the Type 6 for now?

Whatever you do, do not let your credits dip below your rebuy cost.

I was taking a look at the Orca in Coriolis to get a sense of it's capabilities since the passenger missions are coming and the Beluga is going to cost a fortune for sure and what the fuck at it's jump range? You'd think that would be it's strong point.

JambiBum

I was taking a look at the Orca in Coriolis to get a sense of it's capabilities since the passenger missions are coming and the Beluga is going to cost a fortune for sure and what the fuck at it's jump range? You'd think that would be it's strong point.

Giant ships tend to have small jump ranges but you also have to take into account that the jump range listed is based on what the default FSD is and not upgraded at all. I don't know what the default is off of the top of my head but the wiki says a max FSD will get you 19 ly for your range which is pretty decent. That plus engineer upgrades can probably get around 30 ly I'd guess.

Damn, I've only encountered two types of stations so far. I need to start exploring and finding these fancy places.
The station interiors with palm trees I've only seen in Empire territory. Not sure if they're elsewhere.

In 2.2 they are adding new types of interiors ranging from high-tech to agricultural to industrial to some that look like the citadel from mass effect. Pretty stoked for the variations.

Giant ships tend to have small jump ranges but you also have to take into account that the jump range listed is based on what the default FSD is and not upgraded at all. I don't know what the default is off of the top of my head but the wiki says a max FSD will get you 19 ly for your range which is pretty decent. That plus engineer upgrades can probably get around 30 ly I'd guess.

No, I'm looking at it fully upgraded. 19 ly is not great for a ship that's main purpose is to simply get from point A to point B. Also, fighters have short jump ranges, not necessarily large ships. The Anaconda has the maximum possible jump range of any ship in the game.

Jedi2016

The station interiors with palm trees I've only seen in Empire territory. Not sure if they're elsewhere.
They are. They tend to be in more high class or high income systems. My "home base" is M. Gorbachev in Earth orbit (Federation space, obviously), it's one of these "rich" stations. I think Galileo in orbit of the Moon is, too.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So this is kind of irritating, I hit 100% on rank 0 for the federation and I saw the navy mission but it was unavailable because I didn't have enough rep with the guy so I go do a mission for him and when I come back the navy mission just isn't available.

I refreshed the missions like 10 times at this station and the navy mission just won't appear.

I don't know what to do, how the hell am i supposed to track down one mission? Like I guess I'm supposed to go to other federation stations and talk to those guys but what if I'm not cordial with them and when I finally am they don't give me the mission anymore?

Ugh it's kinda annoying you don't just get the rank up mission in the mail or something.

Edit: Found the mission again...in a station where i'm not cordial with the agent, ughhhh.
Edit2: I'm losing my mind here, I keep running missions and I must have gotten at least 8 dudes to cordial but whenever the mission pops up the agent is neutral, but they're always representing factions that I have as cordial elsewere. I legitimately just don't understand lmao

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Figured it out, it was a bug. I had to go to controller settings are reset the default control settings and it worked. Pretty crappy bug. Oh well, fixed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Please tell me rank contributions from missions still continue when you're at 100% because I have done so many missions trying to get cordial with seemingly every one.

Because none of the federation mission givers who i am friends with ever gives me the navy rank mission. Am I supposed to just find a station and switch game modes until the navy mission appears under some one i can accept it from????

Started the first tutorial, but I literally can't do anything, lol. Is there a bug or am i missing something?

Figured it out, it was a bug. I had to go to controller settings are reset the default control settings and it worked. Pretty crappy bug. Oh well, fixed.

That happened to me when I picked up Horizons. Had the base game from the preview and had changed some controls so it listed the settings as "custom". When I installed Horizons the custom settings applied to the srv and since I hadn't set any controls it just simply had none. Was quite confused when trying to drive the damn thing and nothing worked lol. Had to swap the controls back to "classic" and then remap what I needed from there.

How well does this run on xbone?
Quite well. Some framerate drops when entering hyperspace and sometimes when first driving away from your ship in the srv. A small handful of crashes. But aside from that it performs just fine.

So this is kind of irritating, I hit 100% on rank 0 for the federation and I saw the navy mission but it was unavailable because I didn't have enough rep with the guy so I go do a mission for him and when I come back the navy mission just isn't available.

I refreshed the missions like 10 times at this station and the navy mission just won't appear.

I don't know what to do, how the hell am i supposed to track down one mission? Like I guess I'm supposed to go to other federation stations and talk to those guys but what if I'm not cordial with them and when I finally am they don't give me the mission anymore?

Ugh it's kinda annoying you don't just get the rank up mission in the mail or something.

Edit: Found the mission again...in a station where i'm not cordial with the agent, ughhhh.
Edit2: I'm losing my mind here, I keep running missions and I must have gotten at least 8 dudes to cordial but whenever the mission pops up the agent is neutral, but they're always representing factions that I have as cordial elsewere. I legitimately just don't understand lmao

Please tell me rank contributions from missions still continue when you're at 100% because I have done so many missions trying to get cordial with seemingly every one.

Because none of the federation mission givers who i am friends with ever gives me the navy rank mission. Am I supposed to just find a station and switch game modes until the navy mission appears under some one i can accept it from????

This happened to me 2 ranks ago with the empire. I've been running a station to planet loop with one jump between and when I hit 100% I saw the naval mission but I didn't have the cargo space. So I went elsewhere to go sell some commodities and when I came back the mission was gone (15min refresh). Tried resetting the missions several times by logging, and nothing. So I resumed looping boom data for about a half hour (game mode logging included at each stop) until the naval mission showed up again at the station.

StuffRuff

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's shared info and youtube links for us people picking up the Xbox version in the sale in the last couple of days, its been a great help!

Dizzy-4U

I'm really liking this Radio Sidewinder thingy. The fake ads, news and chill music adds a lot for me. It sure feels like Euro Truck Simulator now.

I'm very interested to see how Ship Transfer ends up in the final release. I very much disagree with the time delay feedback from parts of the community. I don't need anymore extended time sinks in the game. If I'm requesting a ship transfer and it's going to take 20 minutes or whatever, I'll just end up logging off and doing something else for that time. But if I sit down to play Elite, it's because I have time at the moment and want to play the game. It's actually kind of a hassle now that I play in VR because for me it means putting in contact lenses and getting the Rift setup to start playing. Any non-gameplay waiting is a big turn off for me.

I understand some concerns (FSD for your non-long distance ship may no longer be a consideration, fighters could have a lot of freed up power for other things) and some concerns that I feel are less valid (Immersion, Scientific Realism, there is already so much in the game that happens impossibly instantly and so much that favors gameplay over realism, it's hard to imagine this is going beyond the existing suspension of disbelief). The cost could be enough of a balancing factor for some of the concerns, obviously immersion stuff would only be solved if the ship takes as long to travel as it would you flew it yourself. Actually, for immersion sake, it would really require a round trip, one way for the request and then on way for ship travel but then the feature feels entirely neutered.

Top Bottom