• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

E-flux

Just equipped my ASP Explorer with a 64 fuel tank :D It has a total fuel tank of 96 now. Jumping to large distances and only seeing a small amount of fuel being consumed on the fuel meter is O_O
What the? Why would I use ship transfer if it isn't instantaneous? If people want to maintain the sim aspect of that they can just ignore the feature and fly to the stations themselves.

Because it could be faster than manually flying the ship there? The problem that i have with the transfers is that now people with money can fly around the galaxy with their fastest ships and just transfer their fighters instantly the system of their choosing and because of that suddenly you don't have to think about anything else than what ship can output the most dps.

Plus it can just shatter the illusion just like in Wind waker HD remake where they changed up the speed you could tow shit up from the bottom of the ocean, in the original for the hook sank into the ocean it took a good 4-5 seconds for it to reach the bottom and in the new one it's almost instant which makes the ocean seem like a puddle and finding treasure is no longer "fun".

Transferring ships shouldn't take the full travel time from point A to B nor should it be instant, there is a middle ground which would be the best.

Caayn

Because it could be faster than manually flying the ship there? The problem that i have with the transfers is that now people with money can fly around the galaxy with their fastest ships and just transfer their fighters instantly the system of their choosing and because of that suddenly you don't have to think about anything else than what ship can output the most dps.

Plus it can just shatter the illusion just like in Wind waker HD remake where they changed up the speed you could tow shit up from the bottom of the ocean, in the original for the hook sank into the ocean it took a good 4-5 seconds for it to reach the bottom and in the new one it's almost instant which makes the ocean seem like a puddle and finding treasure is no longer "fun".

Transferring ships shouldn't take the full travel time from point A to B nor should it be instant, there is a middle ground which would be the best.
Fair enough. However if a delay is in place, it should be based on the distance, and you should be able to fly away from a station while you're waiting on the transfer to complete. I also think that you should be unable to transfer ships with cargo.

zorbsie

Instant ship transfers don't bother me. There will still be a cost associated with it. Depending on how that plays out it could actually keep people from abusing the feature.

Here's a question about ship transfer, can you transfer a ship full of cargo? Can I fill up my ship mining, drop it off at the station and use my empty ship to fly to my destination. No interdictions, then just pay to have my full ship transferred to the selling point. Maybe they'll make it cost so much it won't be worth the effort.

~Cross~

Frontier has correctly thought out that putting a timer on the transfer just means people will idle at the station not doing anything while the transfer completes. This isn't compelling gameplay, its not even gameplay.

The idea that somehow people are fucking you over because they are space rich and can move ships easier between the galaxy is hilarious. This game is mostly PVE, it can play ENTIRELY pve by going solo or joining a pve group. It shouldn't affect you at all.

And about the whole "Immersion". Just imagine that you put your ship on sale and the station where you at furnished you an equal ship with some tax on it. Boom immersion restored.

Reckheim

I agree, I also think it should be really expensive, i.e 5 mill for a conda. Depending on the size and price of the ship obviously.

Here's a question about ship transfer, can you transfer a ship full of cargo? Can I fill up my ship mining, drop it off at the station and use my empty ship to fly to my destination.
I don't think they change the storing of the ships. They just enable you to beam ships stored at another station to the one you are at. Right now it's not possible to store ships with cargo. So I don't think it will be possible to do the mentioned.
The problem that i have with the transfers is that now people with money can fly around the galaxy with their fastest ships and just transfer their fighters instantly the system of their choosing and because of that suddenly you don't have to think about anything else than what ship can output the most dps.
Fair point! Perhaps they do a cool down for the next transfer. Everything else will be strange.

But yeah, the ASP will be much more popular then. Upgraded with enhanced FSD and a 200 LY jump range (after Jets AND enhancement via mats if those two can be stacked) to travel around FAST. and then use the FDL with a 0.x LY jump range to pack a punch.

I agree, I also think it should be really expensive, i.e 5 mill for a conda. Depending on the size and price of the ship obviously.
That's the case already. It depends on ship value and distance.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Frontier has correctly thought out that putting a timer on the transfer just means people will idle at the station not doing anything while the transfer completes. This isn't compelling gameplay, its not even gameplay.

Yeah, I don’t have any problem with instant ship transfers. Elite is a game afterall, we are supposed to be having fun, and if I want to bring my Cobra IV out to Jacques simply by paying a fee and wammo it’s ready for me to fly, well I think that’s better than paying the fee and waiting a week or so until I can fly my ship. It’s a great quality of life feature and I am glad it’s coming. And, of course, if someone thinks it’s broken well they certainly don’t HAVE to make use of it at all! You can still ferry your own ships around just like before if you want to, that will still work just like always, so have at it hardcore players!!! :D

zorbsie

I don't think they change the storing of the ships. They just enable you to beam ships stored at another station to the one you are at. Right now it's not possible to store ships with cargo. So I don't think it will be possible to do the mentioned.

Good point I forgot about that. I can't wait for ship transfers. The only reason I stopped using my Vulture was because it was such a pain to fly it to far away stations. It had a jump range of 14Ly or something.

Burny

Adding a delay to the ship transfer QoL feature serves no purpose but adding additional inconvenience. The mere transfer mechanic already has no reasonable explanation. Is a virtual 3rd party pilot hired? Is there a ship AI transfering the ship? If the latter: Why can't we use it when we're in our ship? Yet, it's a very often requested feature.

For starters, the transfer only works to the station you're currently in. When you happen to be with your T6 in a station, find a good bounty hunting spot and want to go there, that's what the feature is good for. An artificial delay, no matter how long or short would mean one thing and one thing only: You have to wait before you can do what you would like to do. It's unnecessary, inconvenient, not grounded in any consistent game logic, which is terribly inconsistent as it is and unfortunately full to the brim with design choices that whish they were as convenient and elegant as instant ship relocation to the station you're currently docked in current station. In short: It's wasted player lifetime. Asking for more of that in a game notorious for wasting players' lifetime (donation grind anyone...?) is actively opposing Elite ever becoming an actually good game instead of just remaining a visionary but partly very poorly designed game.

There is already a balancing mechanic: Ship value and distance. Anything else, especially the player's lifetime wasted waiting for a ship they would like at a certain location, in other words time wasted on what amounts to inconvenient inventory management, is unnecessary.

Btw. if anybody is afraid that people are going to fly to Jaque's in Asps, spawn their murder boats there and start griefing explorers. Guess what? With a delay for the transfer, that would still happen. Only relevant difference: Anybody of the other explorers willing to get their own murder boats there for defending the others would have to wait the same amount of time, by which any griefer would have already caused mayhem.

Bad mouthing the Vulture pffff. It's a joy to fly. The only ship more maneuverable is the Eagle. It lacks straightforward speed but it is still probably the best bang for your buck combat ship in the game. As for a 7 million budget, I agree that a combat ready Vulture is out of that range.

Lime

Thinking of finally getting into this. Is there a single player campaign as well? Overall would u guys suggest it?

The narrative is pretty barebones and the overall goal of the game is basically resources, money and ships. You can set up your own goals of course, but the game doesn't really provide you with a singleplayer campaign as such.

It's a large game for sure and as an experience it's really interesting. Personally for me, I would prefer some more diversity in playing experiences and a larger singleplayer campaign with a sense of progression. If you're into MMOs or multiplayer games without much narrative progression, then this is a good game.

As a space sim, I definitely think you should try it out if you're into space and stuff like that.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Ceos is still a ghost town. Was hoping I could rank up my federation rank taking boom mission from there to Sothis and back. But no such luck. Any ideas as to how long this will last?

That surprises me. I was out at ceos/sothis fighting in the civil war a week or two ago and there were tons of data missions. It was hard to find massacre missions because of all the data missions.

5 million. Good grief, what's the point? Then you are definitely restricting the feature to those with more money than they know what to do with. I guess moving my ships will still having me waste hours buying hauler shuttles and jumping, jumping, jumping back and forth. Some of the worst and most boring time I had with the game was moving to Apam Napat and then moving to Bhotho. I sold off a lot of kitted out ships just to not have to move them.

~Cross~

Btw. if anybody is afraid that people are going to fly to Jaque's in Asps, spawn their murder boats there and start griefing explorers. Guess what? With a delay for the transfer, that would still happen. Only relevant difference: Anybody of the other explorers willing to get their own murder boats there for defending the others would have to wait the same amount of time, by which any griefer would have already caused mayhem.

Also there is a fool proof anti griefing technique, its called combat logging. Its instant, cannot be prevented by the other player and once done renders you completely immune to pvp because you can easily go solo afterwards.

My attempt to do the community goal for bounty in Arque was nothing short of frustrating. I accidentally hit a cop I think and got a dormant bounty. Respawned and it was no longer in my transactions. Figured it's been collected then.

Fly back to nav beacon, get 200k worth of bounties over an hour, suddenly a cop scans me and they blow me up instantly. Respawn at station, buy a Sidewinder with the intent of just grinding out bounty with that. Now it shows that I have a dormant bounty again though. Realize my sidewinder can't make the jumps back to Arque. Take back out my ship, get to Arque and park there. Dormant bounty missing again. Still get Sidewinder, head to nav beacon, way too many players so I switch to private play. No cops in system and no one I can fight alone. Bounty is gone again. Switch back to online play and community event is over. 0% contribution =(

Overall I spent about 10 hours just trying to get some damn contribution and lost about 400k of my 600k between a bad interdiction, a bad call on a pirate fight, and my bounty constantly glitching. Bummer.

zorbsie

That surprises me. I was out at ceos/sothis fighting in the civil war a week or two ago and there were tons of data missions. It was hard to find massacre missions because of all the data missions.

Someone UA bombed Ceos last week.

Seems that way. This is what I from the GalNews ternimal.
screenshot-original28apy.png

How long will it last though?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I wanna work on getting the sol system pass and Google gives me a lot of out of data info, what is the best way to get fed ranks quickly at the moment? Is there a specific system loop to run missions between?

Also about how long does ranking up take? the think I am still like 4% into none?

Nokterian

Can someone give a detailed guide for keyboard + mouse? I have seen a video about it i have a layout but there are so many menu's i need to figure out on what to put it there like a FPS.

Crazy thing happened to me yesterday during the final day of the community goal. Was leaving Austen, jumped into supercruise, and was interdicted within ten seconds lol. Submitted. Targeted the ship and it was a NPC piloted anaconda. They opened fire on me. I wasn't feeling up for a 1v1 fight so I took off. Outran him and jumped to supercruise. 5 seconds later the same anaconda interdicted me. Once again I outran him and jumped into supercruise. 5 seconds later he pulls me out again lmao. Outran him and jumped. Made it to the nav beacon and jumped out to join a couple friends who were already there.

All of the sudden a ship opens fire on me while we were bullshitting and scanning local ships. It was the same fucking anaconda! Not a wise idea with alliance police everywhere. Needless to say, he didn't survive long.

Looked to see the bounty as he died... 200cr.

Wtf lol. I love this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Can someone give a detailed guide for keyboard + mouse? I have seen a video about it i have a layout but there are so many menu's i need to figure out on what to put it there like a FPS.

lFa68mn.png

This is basically the layout I used before I got my HOTAS. I just ignored all the wing man key binds and put hard points, landing gear, scoop, and lights there instead. Also I put down thrust on ctrl and made C cycle subsystems and g cycle targets.

Pips on shift means shift + wasd controls ship power distribution.

This layout basically allows you to fly your ship much closer to an FPS while giving you access to all the important functions.

Ok got careless with my fixed beam and it drifted into a Fed police ship, killing it. I was able to flee the system and H-jump without dying. Before leaving I had a 6k wanted bounty but after Hjump that system's bounty is no longer showing up. Though one of my previous dormant ones doubled to 1800 from 900. Should I be safe to back? System has a high RES right next to a station so it is pretty lucrative.

jond76

Banned
Ok got careless with my fixed beam and it drifted into a Fed police ship, killing it. I was able to flee the system and H-jump without dying. Before leaving I had a 6k wanted bounty but after Hjump that system's bounty is no longer showing up. Though one of my previous dormant ones doubled to 1800 from 900. Should I be safe to back? System has a high RES right next to a station so it is pretty lucrative.

What the hell kinda beam you have that'll kill a ship by "drifting" into it? Haha

DrBo42

What the hell kinda beam you have that'll kill a ship by "drifting" into it? Haha
A death beam.

On the topic of transfers above the time really means nothing. Definitely an immersion breaker though.

Only real potential problem is fitting of the FSD of those combat ships like someone here mentioned. Does free up a lot of power and potential weight to give some advantages. Other side of the coin is them being unable to follow if you high wake a decent distance away, I suppose. Think solo and PvE players are really going to enjoy it though.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I lost my A-rated Conda for the first time and I can't even recall for how long I've had it it. I had a bug from what I could tell from Googling. Reboot and Repair refused to make it all the way through. It would eventually fail. Some posts on the forum said to log out and back in and I tried that a few times.

RIP $20million for rebuy.

DrBo42

I lost my A-rated Conda for the first time and I can't even recall for how long I've had it it. I had a bug from what I could tell from Googling. Reboot and Repair refused to make it all the way through. It would eventually fail. Some posts on the forum said to log out and back in and I tried that a few times.

RIP $20million for rebuy.

Make a ticket. Support will probably refund you.

Hello commanders.
o7

E-flux

The idea that somehow people are fucking you over because they are space rich and can move ships easier between the galaxy is hilarious. This game is mostly PVE, it can play ENTIRELY pve by going solo or joining a pve group. It shouldn't affect you at all.

And about the whole "Immersion". Just imagine that you put your ship on sale and the station where you at furnished you an equal ship with some tax on it. Boom immersion restored.

I think a better solution would be to have a travel time for those ships but instead of ordering the ship to be sent to you at the location you arrived at you could send it before hand, that way the ship would either arrive before or at the same time as you. Or something along those lines, i get that at some points gameplay needs to be at the top of things like immersion and simulation but this is one of those things that i just don't like.

elyetis

Let's just ask them not to add the feature at that point.
QoL loose it's meaning if you put so many limitation to it's use people don't even bother using it.

Oh man, I don't want more money sinks. I know you two punks are billionaires by now but I have a mere 650 million in assets. I can't even fully kit out an Anaconda.

illusionary

So, on Xbox One we can get a 35% discount on the Standard edition or 40% on the Deluxe... but there's no discount at all on the Horizons upgrade?! :(

joecanada

Just managed to hit boost instead of dropping the landing gear inside a space station.

That's the end of my ship.

oh wow, I have luckily avoided doing that. the worst I did once was I was in a hurry and just kept bashing my ship into the landing pad over and over getting more and more mad, wondering why the damn thing wouldn't dock. it exploded, I raged. then realized I hadn't put down the landing gear. ohhhhhhhh man.

my other frustration, a thing I have done multiple times but last night cost me my 140k buy back , was I have flight assist as up/left and silent running as up/right on xbox controller....... however I was in the middle of a fight and must have hit silent on it, I just started to overheat like mad, eventually lost half my controls and of course my shield against a viper mkiv, it didn't end well.... so mad lol. since then I have assumed that when my heat goes crazy that's the silent running on lol.... but of course you lose shields instantly.

Keep in mind if hitting something is unavoidable, put all pips in SYS. Will usually save you.

haha last night I hit a type 6 in my viper head on and just before I hit it I put everything in sys, don't know if it saved me but it scared me to death. some of these pilots don't even try to avoid you.

Top Bottom