• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This happened to me 2 ranks ago with the empire. I've been running a station to planet loop with one jump between and when I hit 100% I saw the naval mission but I didn't have the cargo space. So I went elsewhere to go sell some commodities and when I came back the mission was gone (15min refresh). Tried resetting the missions several times by logging, and nothing. So I resumed looping boom data for about a half hour (game mode logging included at each stop) until the naval mission showed up again at the station.

Yeah it is just extremely aggravating because I feel stuck in a loop until I get every single agent at every near by federation controlled station to cordial. Since I keep flying to new stations to find the rank up mission but when I find it the guy is neutral so I go grind rep but when I come back the mission is gone lol.

I wish rank exp spilled over to the next one while I'm at 100% because I think I'll have enough to hit rank 2 instantly after this.

Pomerlaw

I'm very interested to see how Ship Transfer ends up in the final release. I very much disagree with the time delay feedback from parts of the community. I don't need anymore extended time sinks in the game. If I'm requesting a ship transfer and it's going to take 20 minutes or whatever, I'll just end up logging off and doing something else for that time. But if I sit down to play Elite, it's because I have time at the moment and want to play the game. It's actually kind of a hassle now that I play in VR because for me it means putting in contact lenses and getting the Rift setup to start playing. Any non-gameplay waiting is a big turn off for me.

I understand some concerns (FSD for your non-long distance ship may no longer be a consideration, fighters could have a lot of freed up power for other things) and some concerns that I feel are less valid (Immersion, Scientific Realism, there is already so much in the game that happens impossibly instantly and so much that favors gameplay over realism, it's hard to imagine this is going beyond the existing suspension of disbelief). The cost could be enough of a balancing factor for some of the concerns, obviously immersion stuff would only be solved if the ship takes as long to travel as it would you flew it yourself. Actually, for immersion sake, it would really require a round trip, one way for the request and then on way for ship travel but then the feature feels entirely neutered.

There is also another point... The price. If they charge big money for transfer, then you will have to grind credits to transfer your ships. Not sure this is better than a time delay...

Surprised no PS4 release yet, especially with PSVR.

What's the minimum framerate required for PSVR (is it 90, like the rest?) because I don't think the consoles are going to be able to do this game at any decent resolution (just look at the text issues with the current Rift/Vive in this game) at a high enough frame rate.

vector824

Guys! I finally decided to pick up E:D yesterday (since it was my birthday) after seeing all the new features that were announced for the new update. I had played for a few hours on a friends rig before, so I wasn't totally ignorant to the game. It did take me a second to get my joystick mapped and figure out how to dock without crashing into everything.

All I've done is play space truck with a Sidewinder so far, shot down two(!) people on missions and I've upgraded a few modules and weapons with around $400K in the bank now.

So, where should I go from here? I really want a Sol permit, and I've been in Fed space the whole time but only at 33% on the lowest rank. I'm looking into bounty hunting soon also, just bought a KWS today.

Here are a few screenshots:

First kill!

I love this game.

Surprised no PS4 release yet, especially with PSVR.

Game runs at 30 fps on Xbox One. I think it would take a miracle to get it to run well enough on PS4 for the absolute minimum required VR framerate. The game takes a relatively beastly PC for a reasonable VR experience. I expect a PS4 version eventually, but in the past, when they released on a new platform (Mac, XboxOne), all other updates were put on hold for some period of time while the new release was the focus. They are a little behind on this seasons of releases so I wouldn't be surprised if the reveal of a PS4 version will wait until they catch up a bit.

Edit: Actually, I think a PSVR version of the Elite Arena mode isn't completely out of the question because that already runs at 60 fps on XboxOne.

Enjoying the sunset. So beautiful.

hZ2gtid.jpg

AUvwZLs.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, where should I go from here? I really want a Sol permit, and I've been in Fed space the whole time but only at 33% on the lowest rank. I'm looking into bounty hunting soon also, just bought a KWS today.

As a player new to the game, your best course of action is to just fly around trying new things out. Like, literally. Try some bounty hunting, do some missions, give mining a go, and explore a bit just to try it out. Take part in a community goal or two to earn some nice credits. The Sidewinder is the starter ship so you want to get out of it quickly and into a new ship. Which ship you buy depends on what you want to do next:

Combat: move into an Eagle next, it fights tons better than a Sidey. Then if you want more combat work up to a Vyper or eventually a Vulture.

Trading: get a Hauler next, then an Adder or even a Cobra, then maybe a T6 or larger. All are fun ships to fly.

Mining: you can use any of the trader ships to mine with, but and Asp or a Cobra IV can be outfitted well for thorough mining.

Exploring: for real exploring you want a ship with advanced scanners, surface scanners, an SRV, shields, and a fuel scoop. If you want to go very deep space then you also want an AFMU (repair module). That’s six internals, so ships like the T6 or Cobra are great, but the Asp is the Millenium Falcon of explorers, and arguably the best exploration ship in the game. For simply exploring around civilized space you can poke around with a Hauler if you forego the shields and AFMU. The Adder is good too but man the view out the window isn’t great. The best cheap explorer is really the Cobra III, as it can do it all, it just doesn’t have the jump range of better exploration ships like the Asp or Diamondback Explorer, but around the bubble that really doesn’t matter much.

vector824

As a player new to the game, your best course of action is to just fly around trying new things out. Like, literally. Try some bounty hunting, do some missions, give mining a go, and explore a bit just to try it out. Take part in a community goal or two to earn some nice credits. The Sidewinder is the starter ship so you want to get out of it quickly and into a new ship. Which ship you buy depends on what you want to do next:

Combat: move into an Eagle next, it fights tons better than a Sidey. Then if you want more combat work up to a Vyper or eventually a Vulture.

Trading: get a Hauler next, then an Adder or even a Cobra, then maybe a T6 or larger. All are fun ships to fly.

Mining: you can use any of the trader ships to mine with, but and Asp or a Cobra IV can be outfitted well for thorough mining.

Exploring: for real exploring you want a ship with advanced scanners, surface scanners, an SRV, shields, and a fuel scoop. If you want to go very deep space then you also want an AFMU (repair module). That’s six internals, so ships like the T6 or Cobra are great, but the Asp is the Millenium Falcon of explorers, and arguably the best exploration ship in the game. For simply exploring around civilized space you can poke around with a Hauler if you forego the shields and AFMU. The Adder is good too but man the view out the window isn’t great. The best cheap explorer is really the Cobra III, as it can do it all, it just doesn’t have the jump range of better exploration ships like the Asp or Diamondback Explorer, but around the bubble that really doesn’t matter much.

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I'll probably jump to an Eagle then after I get a few bounties under my belt in the Sidey. I do like trading though... decisions decisions...

Xater

Alright, have my Viper MkIV going now. Still needs one or two upgrades and I kinda overextended a bit. Meaning the insurance now is more than I could cover. I need to run some safe missions, so I am out of this hole.

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I'll probably jump to an Eagle then after I get a few bounties under my belt in the Sidey. I do like trading though... decisions decisions...

I did trading until the merchant rank. Getting now more into combat. Trading to me seems like makes more money early on, but I might be wrong. For me it at least worked out this way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The Eagle is a fantastically fun ship to fly and pretty good in combat, one of my favorites in the game. It’s small and has underpowered weapons but it is very fast and super maneuverable and has exceptional visibility out of the seat. The Imperial Eagle trades maneuverability for greater speed and firepower, but man is it fast and great looking! I’m actually taking my Imperial Eagle on the upcoming Small Worlds Expedition, it’s a great ship to buzz around planet surfaces and explore canyons in.

I didn't realize that either. I've never ran into the issue of dying when I didn't have enough for the full rebuy so I didn't realize you could get a loan.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
snip
So, where should I go from here?
snip

I agree with the idea of just trying out different stuff. There are a few cheesy things to understand about the Elite mission system. You can Stack missions (some people will call this Cycling). Let's use Data Missions as an example here:
- You can open the missions and accept all data missions.
- Log out, Log back in (Cycling from Open Play to Solo Play and back) and accept new missions.
- You can do this until you have 20 active missions or in the event they are trading missions, until your cargo hold is full.

Some people will say this is an exploit and others will say it is just part of the game. The fact that frontier is aware of it and doesn't seem to patch it tells me where their head is for now. This is how people make bank by going out to Sothis and doing long range hauling'/smuggling. It is also the way that most people will rank up with the various factions.

I'm very interested to see how Ship Transfer ends up in the final release. I very much disagree with the time delay feedback from parts of the community. I don't need anymore extended time sinks in the game. If I'm requesting a ship transfer and it's going to take 20 minutes or whatever, I'll just end up logging off and doing something else for that time. But if I sit down to play Elite, it's because I have time at the moment and want to play the game. It's actually kind of a hassle now that I play in VR because for me it means putting in contact lenses and getting the Rift setup to start playing. Any non-gameplay waiting is a big turn off for me.

I understand some concerns (FSD for your non-long distance ship may no longer be a consideration, fighters could have a lot of freed up power for other things) and some concerns that I feel are less valid (Immersion, Scientific Realism, there is already so much in the game that happens impossibly instantly and so much that favors gameplay over realism, it's hard to imagine this is going beyond the existing suspension of disbelief). The cost could be enough of a balancing factor for some of the concerns, obviously immersion stuff would only be solved if the ship takes as long to travel as it would you flew it yourself. Actually, for immersion sake, it would really require a round trip, one way for the request and then on way for ship travel but then the feature feels entirely neutered.

I haven't read the arguments. Why would anyone want to have to wait? Teleport me my shit, goddamnit. All a delay will do is make me minimize the game for X minutes until my ship arrives.

vector824

I agree with the idea of just trying out different stuff. There are a few cheesy things to understand about the Elite mission system. You can Stack missions (some people will call this Cycling). Let's use Data Missions as an example here:
- You can open the missions and accept all data missions.
- Log out, Log back in (Cycling from Open Play to Solo Play and back) and accept new missions.
- You can do this until you have 20 active missions or in the event they are trading missions, until your cargo hold is full.

Some people will say this is an exploit and others will say it is just part of the game. The fact that frontier is aware of it and doesn't seem to patch it tells me where their head is for now. This is how people make bank by going out to Sothis and doing long range hauling'/smuggling. It is also the way that most people will rank up with the various factions.

The Eagle is a fantastically fun ship to fly and pretty good in combat, one of my favorites in the game. It’s small and has underpowered weapons but it is very fast and super maneuverable and has exceptional visibility out of the seat. The Imperial Eagle trades maneuverability for greater speed and firepower, but man is it fast and great looking! I’m actually taking my Imperial Eagle on the upcoming Small Worlds Expedition, it’s a great ship to buzz around planet surfaces and explore canyons in.

Good luck and fly safe. I believe if the worst happens you can rebuy with some of the upgrades removed at a lower price.

I did trading until the merchant rank. Getting now more into combat. Trading to me seems like makes more money early on, but I might be wrong. For me it at least worked out this way.

Thanks guys! These are all most helpful.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So here is a question I can't quite figure out the answer to. How do I make my ship more sturdy? I have 3B shields on my viper mk3 and two shield boosters and they still seem to go down super fast, same with my hull no matter which alloy i still get shredded in seconds in low intensity conflict zones as soon as more than one dude opens fire on me.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So here is a question I can't quite figure out the answer to. How do I make my ship more sturdy? I have 3B shields on my viper mk3 and two shield boosters and they still seem to go down super fast, same with my hull no matter which alloy i still get shredded in seconds in low intensity conflict zones as soon as more than one dude opens fire on me.

Soloing conflict zones with a smaller ship is pretty rough. Usually you will want to wing-up for those or have a bigger ship like a python or conda that can shield tank a bit. It used to be a lot easier but now that they've got the AI up to snuff, the CZ will chew you up and spit you out in smaller ships.

Otherwise, you just need to make sure you stick with other people in your faction. Try to stay where there is only 1 of the opposing faction and several of your allied guys. If your shields are about to go, super cruise out until they are back up.

Honestly though, solo in a viper you'd probably be better off bounty hunting instead of dropping in a CZ.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Soloing conflict zones with a smaller ship is pretty rough. Usually you will want to wing-up for those or have a bigger ship like a python or conda that can shield tank a bit. It used to be a lot easier but now that they've got the AI up to snuff, the CZ will chew you up and spit you out in smaller ships.

Otherwise, you just need to make sure you stick with other people in your faction. Try to stay where there is only 1 of the opposing faction and several of your allied guys. If your shields are about to go, super cruise out until they are back up.

Honestly though, solo in a viper you'd probably be better off bounty hunting instead of dropping in a CZ.

Alright cool thanks! I guess I figured since I had a handle on bounty hunting I could just dive into a CZ and go ham haha.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Alright cool thanks! I guess I figured since I had a handle on bounty hunting I could just dive into a CZ and go ham haha.

For something in between you could try a hazres location. Just make sure your cargo is empty so the badies wont be scanning and targeting you. Take on a few equal ships that are winged up and after a few minutes the police will come patrol and you can use them as your tank.

In a Viper, you won't make it sturdy so don't spent a lot of time trying. Vipers and Eagles are glass cannons. Well, maybe more like glass pistols. The way to stay alive is to use your speed and superior maneuverability to get into advantageous positions (like behind your target) and avoid being hit in the first place.

I'd recommend a loadout like this for a Viper

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p5t5F5l8dasdf21b1b2424000m5840012j.Iw1+kA==.CwBhrEEYakGYBMdhA===

or this for a Viper 4

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk...00m5d45022ov500.Iw1-kA==.CwBj5BGbJBmATLYog===

Both give you sort of optimal builds and power management (YES, set up your power management just like that) and to maximize your dps and speed. Yes, always have chaff. It's your only real defense against gimballed weapons until you can get behind your target.

With the Mark 4, you can switch those pulses out for bursts or beams if you prefer, but I probably wouldn't. Gimbaled or Fixed to taste.

The Mark 4 has better shields but is slower, so it's kind of a wash and I'd slightly favor the base Viper as a result.

You can also consider a bi-weave shield on either. They are slightly weaker shields but come up like 50% faster if they go down. I think they're really good on small ships and open up more offensive options for you because they require less power. You could do something like this:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p5t5F5l8dasdf20s7i2424000mB458012j.Iw1+kA==.CwBhrEEYakGYBMdhA===

Though I'm not sure if a Class 3 power distributor can manage 2x beams effectively.

Lots of options. But yea, I'd recommend one of the setups linked or some close variation (ie, bursts instead of pulses or some such). Keep room for cargo; you're at a point in the game where you still should do missions on occasion.

---

As for CZ's...ehhhhh I'd probably limit combat to RES sites where you can control the moment of engagement. I'd wait on Conflict Zones until you at least have a decently outfitted Cobra which probably won't take you too long. Do RES site and Nav Beacon hunting until then.

Why is it so ridiculously satisfying just running random missions from one system to another? I honestly don't get it.

I'm not being facetious. Like I've put 80 hours into this game since the No Man's Sky release (NMS was really average) and it's just so soothing rather than kinda boring.

Why is it so ridiculously satisfying just running random missions from one system to another? I honestly don't get it.

I'm not being facetious. Like I've put 80 hours into this game since the No Man's Sky release (NMS was really average) and it's just so soothing rather than kinda boring.
That's a great word: soothing. This game offers that in spades. Every type of activity apart from combat is damned relaxing to do. The combat is white knuckle for sure but also a lot of fun.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I don't know. I am also a big fan of Euro/American Truck Simulator as well. It makes no damn sense. I do play in VR though so just being able to shut things out for a bit and drive around space for a bit is relaxing.

That's a great word: soothing. This game offers that in spades. Every type of activity apart from combat is damned relaxing to do. The combat is white knuckle for sure but also a lot of fun.

Now. Let me blow both of your minds with a very special piece of software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPA5j0560g

Thank me a year from now when you're still using it. >:-3

Just as I got done saying how relaxing this game is....

Almost had a heart attack lmao.

Was in supercruise and about to enter the orbit of a planet to make some deliveries when I got interdicted. I started to throttle down because I didn't want to escape vector into the planet, but instead of slowing me down I suddenly gained an insane amount of speed and rocketed straight into the planet and THROUGH the planet into the empty void inside. I was yelling "what the fuck!" as I scrambled to quit out to try and reset myself before going out of the game world. Quit. Reloaded. Was in thruster mode on the surface, scraping the ground with the bottom of my ship. Shields gone. Hull at 39%.

What. The. Fuck.

I wish I would have thought to snap pics or record a video but I was trying so hard to quit the game as fast as possible. Glad my roommate wasn't home to hear my string of obscenities lmao.

Quite well. Some framerate drops when entering hyperspace and sometimes when first driving away from your ship in the srv. A small handful of crashes. But aside from that it performs just fine.

I actually decided to give the pc version a try in hopes of getting closer to 60 frames. Runs fair enough on my old pc outside of some stuttering here and there. So far it's confusing, but a lot of fun. Definitely should have gone with this first over NMS

joecanada

Hey with the gimballed tracking it shows where the weapon is currently aiming ... Sometimes it's way out in front of opposing ships which causes it to miss even though you can have your nose pointed right at the enemy . Any tactics for this ? I think I'm going back to fixed otherwise

yessir. I actually have my window in the upper right for me. perhaps a hold-over habit from OnTopReplica.

But yea both are like godtier for exploration, trading and basic mission running.

HOWEVER, have you been able to get DDP to work with web browsers? If so...how? I can only get it to work with stuff like VLC. It just shows a black screen when i select a chrome window. I haven't tried the Windows Netflix app yet.

Was in supercruise and about to enter the orbit of a planet to make some deliveries when I got interdicted. I started to throttle down because I didn't want to escape vector into the planet, but instead of slowing me down I suddenly gained an insane amount of speed and rocketed straight into the planet and THROUGH the planet into the empty void inside. I was yelling "what the fuck!" as I scrambled to quit out to try and reset myself before going out of the game world. Quit. Reloaded. Was in thruster mode on the surface, scraping the ground with the bottom of my ship. Shields gone. Hull at 39%.

What. The. Fuck.

I wish I would have thought to snap pics or record a video but I was trying so hard to quit the game as fast as possible. Glad my roommate wasn't home to hear my string of obscenities lmao.

wat

Hey with the gimballed tracking it shows where the weapon is currently aiming ... Sometimes it's way out in front of opposing ships which causes it to miss even though you can have your nose pointed right at the enemy . Any tactics for this ? I think I'm going back to fixed otherwise

Should be lead time for tracking. Projectiles have travel time so it needs to predict target movement to get rounds on target. Longer distance means more time needed to lead, also means the target can change vector and rounds on the way can miss. Finding the sweet spot of not too far and not too close is important.

DrBo42

What. The. Fuck.

Pretty common bug when getting interdicted close to a planet. Interdictions are buggy garbage.

Gimballed weapons like the multi-cannon lead their targets. Since its a projectile weapon, it accounts for the distance between it and the target and adjusts the predicted trajectory so you're not shooting and trailing who you are shooting at.

okay so.

Gimballed weapons work differently for kinetic weapons than for thermal weapons.

1.) Basically, if you're using Cannons, Frags or Multicannons, the gimbal reticle will always lead (or trail) the target. It's approximating where they will be presuming the same velocity and direction of momentum...and approximating a firing solution based on the velocity of the rounds you're shooting. If those weapons miss, it's because the target changed their momentum or direction of travel while your round was in flight. This is why weapons like Cannons are poor choices against small ships. They tend to change their direction and momentum constantly making Cannons very unreliable since cannon projectiles move very slowly. Multicannons tend to be more accurate even though they have the same problem because the projectiles move much faster than cannon projectiles.

2.) If you're using thermal weapons (lasers), the only reason a gimbaled weapon would miss a target is if (a) the target deploys chaff, confusing gimbal tracking (when the tracking seems to go completely haywire for a few seconds) or if (b) there is too much jitter in the weapon (jitter makes the gimbal reticle bounce around, making the weapon less reliable the farther from a target you are). Otherwise, gimbaled weapons should hit their target 90%-100% of shots fires, presuming you keep the target generally in front of you.

If you were using kinetic weapons of some sort, #1 is your answer. If you were using lasers, #2 would be your answer. FWIW, I only recommend weapons like Cannons and Plasma Accelerators for big game hunting. That is, for ships the size of a Python or larger. Because they're easy to hit, of course. Even then, such weapons still take practice to get used to. They're fun and you get the PogChamp face every time you land a PA shot. Or at least, I do to this day. lol

joecanada

In a Viper, you won't make it sturdy so don't spent a lot of time trying. Vipers and Eagles are glass cannons. Well, maybe more like glass pistols. The way to stay alive is to use your speed and superior maneuverability to get into advantageous positions (like behind your target) and avoid being hit in the first place.

I'd recommend a loadout like this for a Viper

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p5t5F5l8dasdf21b1b2424000m5840012j.Iw1+kA==.CwBhrEEYakGYBMdhA===

or this for a Viper 4

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk...00m5d45022ov500.Iw1-kA==.CwBj5BGbJBmATLYog===

Both give you sort of optimal builds and power management (YES, set up your power management just like that) and to maximize your dps and speed. Yes, always have chaff. It's your only real defense against gimballed weapons until you can get behind your target.

With the Mark 4, you can switch those pulses out for bursts or beams if you prefer, but I probably wouldn't. Gimbaled or Fixed to taste.

The Mark 4 has better shields but is slower, so it's kind of a wash and I'd slightly favor the base Viper as a result.

You can also consider a bi-weave shield on either. They are slightly weaker shields but come up like 50% faster if they go down. I think they're really good on small ships and open up more offensive options for you because they require less power. You could do something like this:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p5t5F5l8dasdf20s7i2424000mB458012j.Iw1+kA==.CwBhrEEYakGYBMdhA===

Though I'm not sure if a Class 3 power distributor can manage 2x beams effectively.

Lots of options. But yea, I'd recommend one of the setups linked or some close variation (ie, bursts instead of pulses or some such). Keep room for cargo; you're at a point in the game where you still should do missions on occasion.

---

As for CZ's...ehhhhh I'd probably limit combat to RES sites where you can control the moment of engagement. I'd wait on Conflict Zones until you at least have a decently outfitted Cobra which probably won't take you too long. Do RES site and Nav Beacon hunting until then.

Huh I don't have much experience with the game at all but from the research I did on reddit and youtube, I find that the viper mk3 is actually pretty tough, one of the tougher fighters out there... you have to jimmy your power management around but I currently have:

weave shield
shield booster
hull reinforcement (and a sturdy one too)

and I still get 10 ly jumps and running 2 X beam lasers (gimballed) and
2 X multicannon (g)

in fact I have even seen some youtube posters say go for 2 shield boosters or you could even dump the cargo rack and go 2X hull reinforcments?

the reason for the hull reinforcements is I don't find you lose much booster speed, a couple of km/s and you can win ramming battles and outlast most other fighters in a prolonged fight. you don't need to worry much about the first say 20% of your hull that way.

but the ramming takes the cake I have survived ramming a type 6 heavy before.

the eagle shouldn't stand a chance in my experience, and a cobra is only faster?

Seems an appropriate time to re-post this information pertaining to damage fall off as a function of distance from target.

http://nosuchwebpage.com/index.php?lan=EN&post_id=195

All weapons experience some amount of damage reduction the farther you are from your target. Lasers are impacted the most severely. Not all weapons are impacted significantly. This may help you make hardpoint purchasing decisions based on how you find yourself flying or what ship you're flying.

There is a reason, for example, why my Cutter is loaded down with kinetic weapons: the ship is impossible to keep close to a target reliably and kinetics offer low damage falloff and low power draw. If you're flying a smaller ship or a more nimble ship for which you can reliably stay very close to your targets, weapons like Frag Cannons, Beams and Pulses become more viable for dealing damage (rather than just looking stylish and taking up space).

Choose your loadouts wisely. Choose them based on the ship's capabilities, your preferred fighting styles, and your power constraints. And fly safe, commanders.

Seems an appropriate time to re-post this information pertaining to damage fall off as a function of distance from target.

http://nosuchwebpage.com/index.php?lan=EN&post_id=195

All weapons experience some amount of damage reduction the farther you are from your target. Lasers are impacted the most severely. Not all weapons are impacted significantly. This may help you make hardpoint purchasing decisions based on how you find yourself flying or what ship you're flying.

There is a reason, for example, why my Cutter is loaded down with kinetic weapons: the ship is impossible to keep close to a target reliably and kinetics offer low damage falloff and low power draw. If you're flying a smaller ship or a more nimble ship for which you can reliably stay very close to your targets, weapons like Frag Cannons, Beams and Pulses become more viable for dealing damage (rather than just looking stylish and taking up space).

Choose your loadouts wisely. Choose them based on the ship's capabilities, how fighting styles, and your power constraints. And fly safe, commanders.
This is great. Thank you, cmndr!

Bubba77

Would a cobra mk4 make for a good general purpose/bounty hunting ship? I have a loaded sodewinder and an adder for trading/mining.

I bought an eagle for combat and hated it. It was agile but got destroyed so quickly.

Top Bottom