• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

So I noticed that most of the people on my friends list for ED tend to play in solo mode. Is there a reason why you guys do that? I play in open 100% of the time and I've never ran into any problems with other players. Hell I think in all of my time playing I've only ever been killed by another player like 5 times. I just like being able to run across other players and saying hi every now and then even if they don't always respond. Especially when I'm far away from the bubble and I see someone else.

I have a private group set up but no one is ever in it so I just play in open. If more people were to join it I'd play in it more often.

Should note that this is only for PC players for all of you new xbox folk.
I feel like since I'm not playing with anyone it's pointless. Probably stems from there being no real reason to wing up outside of pvp.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I noticed that most of the people on my friends list for ED tend to play in solo mode. Is there a reason why you guys do that? I play in open 100% of the time and I've never ran into any problems with other players. Hell I think in all of my time playing I've only ever been killed by another player like 5 times. I just like being able to run across other players and saying hi every now and then even if they don't always respond. Especially when I'm far away from the bubble and I see someone else.

I have a private group set up but no one is ever in it so I just play in open. If more people were to join it I'd play in it more often.

It depends on what I am doing and where I am double it, generally if I am in a heavily populated area and I wanna bounty hunt quickly and efficiently at the nav point ill swap to solo to avoid getting things kill stolen from me lol.

Normally I just stick to open though. It is more exciting when things go wrong.

Side note: I'm CMDR RageJ btw, I don't think I ever dropped my name in the thread lol.

Reckheim

I quess we can have a neogaf private group but I don't think there is enough of us for it to make sense.

I usually play in open as well (unless I am coming back from an exploration trip, I don't need that stress in my life), most people aren't playing the game to kill the other players anyways.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass

Today in open I was in an AspX in Deciat just carrying a few random metals and some commodities for some engineer upgrades, and I get interdicted by a player FDL. He announces his intentions, starts scanning my cargo, and an NPC Viper who's been chasing me for a while jumps into the instance and attacks me. The FDL goes after the Viper, and out of respect I wait around until he deals with it, but the cops show up and the FDL's wanted, so he just politely asks me if I happen to have some micro-weave cooling hoses (I didn't), and then gives me a fly safe. Nicest pirate I've ever met, he's on my friends list now. I will never not play in open.

E-flux

I always play online, i don't see the point in solo even though i have died few times to other commanders, most of the encounters with other people have been pretty cool.

joecanada

I just started a month ago and I was pretty rusty at first. I just thought there would be a ton of people waiting to gun you down and I was pretty scared to be honest lol..... but I played a boatload of wing commander and I can't even remember the last dogfight I lost maybe 4-5 days ago, so I think I am ready for open play but still scared.

other peoples experiences don't seem to match what I am afraid of though.

Reckheim

I just started a month ago and I was pretty rusty at first. I just thought there would be a ton of people waiting to gun you down and I was pretty scared to be honest lol..... but I played a boatload of wing commander and I can't even remember the last dogfight I lost maybe 4-5 days ago, so I think I am ready for open play but still scared.

other peoples experiences don't seem to match what I am afraid of though.

Definitely not, the community is great. There are some pirate groups out there but they usually concentrate on the CG's and populated spaces. I think that just adds to the game tho.

vector824

I've only played ten hours but the whole time in open. I've seen three cmdrs and only two of them said anything. I had no idea how to respond back so I probably came across as a jerk. I figured it out a couple hours later. Ha! The only time I've been shot down was last night by an NPC in a CZ while on a mission (oops!).

joecanada

I've only played ten hours but the whole time in open. I've seen three cmdrs and only two of them said anything. I had no idea how to respond back so I probably came across as a jerk. I figured it out a couple hours later. Ha! The only time I've been shot down was last night by an NPC in a CZ while on a mission (oops!).

speaking of which, you just type into the comm box right? I may switch to open tonight actually and hit that community goal.

Definitely not, the community is great. There are some pirate groups out there but they usually concentrate on the CG's and populated spaces. I think that just adds to the game tho.

Yes the community is awesome, i was hijacked by some pirates yesterday and someone went to help me out. Then he put his spaceship in front of mine. I play with controller and i had never engaged in chat text in Elite, so i start typing and i actually fired upon the guy.

He said "Damn why ? Do you speak english? I came to save you." and then he left. 15 min later i manage to find via tutorial how to communicate with my controler but he was unreachable and for some reason i couldn't /d him with his CMDR number.

Heartbreaking moment.

The game is freaking awesome to recreate this kind of messy situation. You don't feel like playing an avatar but controlling a freaking complicated ship.

DrBo42

Just imagine Pigeon was the first one to meet a Thargoid and shot it trying to chat. I can see that community article's point.

vector824

speaking of which, you just type into the comm box right? I may switch to open tonight actually and hit that community goal.

Yeah, if you target the CMDR you can communicate directly. They show up on your radar as an open box like this [] instead of a solid one. It took me a while to figure that out! lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

JambiBum

You can also just use the local chat to talk to anyone in your general area.

I don't think we would have enough to make a private group seem worth it so I'll probably just stick to open for now. Anyone that's new and isn't on my friend list can just add me. I'm Cmdr Jambi.

Someone on reddit made a mock up of a security services employment opportunity for cmdrs and I think it's actually really great. They basically have you get a job as security services for different systems and then give you missions and rewards based on that fact. You can look at the mock up here

I'm still completely boggled how this game seems to be sort of 'under the radar' and the likes of No Man's Sky and Star Citizen get a lot of attention. At the moment this feels like the most stable and 'complete' Space game out there.

I don't play as often as I'd like, but when I do I always play in Open. Makes the game feel much more alive. Add me if you like, I'm Anastazius in-game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm still completely boggled how this game seems to be sort of 'under the radar' and the likes of No Man's Sky and Star Citizen get a lot of attention. At the moment this feels like the most stable and 'complete' Space game out there.

It definitely is the most stable and “complete” space game available today. I’m a harsh critic of the game sometimes due to my passion for the franchise, but that’s only because things I want in the game aren’t getting attention, so I throw a fit like a 5 year old. In reality Elite is in very good shape and getting better slowly but surely with every update. Sure the devs fumble now and then but so far they’ve recovered pretty well each time too, for the most part. Overall Elite is an extremely good space game.

I mean seriously, I have well over 200 hours played with this game, so it truly can’t be THAT bad…. :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What is good next ship to buy after the sidewinder? I'll likely want to do the explore route with the ability to do some of the other activities decently too.

Reckheim

What is good next ship to buy after the sidewinder? I'll likely want to do the explore route with the ability to do some of the other activities decently too.

Hauler, its an ugly ass ship that does everything decently (good jump range for cheap as well).

JambiBum

It's because there isn't a massive marketing push (NMS) or the hype of a huge amount of crowd funding behind it. It also leans more towards the sim side of things and some people don't want that from a space game. Elite just exists in this realm where the people who know about it love it (albeit we all have our issues with certain things) and those who haven't played it have no idea that it exists. Once someone does play it they tend to really enjoy it. Look at all of the new people in this thread for example. This is the most active this thread has been in a while outside those of us who are regulars here. Part of that is because of what happened with NMS and how it drove people to look for a space game that filled their needs.

I honestly don't expect Elite to ever get insanely popular and I'm alright with that fact. While I would love it for our community I just don't see that happening because there is a barrier of entry to this game that's unlike those other space games. It's not an easy game and it takes time to get into but once you do you never want to leave.

LOL at least is is a pretty cool trailer ;p

Elite seems to have gotten a nice little popularity boost from NMS. I know the reddit got an influx of new people posting and certainly this thread has picked up a pace a bit.

Oh for sure, I can't remember the last time the OT was this active, haha.

As for the launch trailer, I actually really like the fan-edit with Interstellar trailer music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXnBMiuu2IQ

Reckheim

LOL at least is is a pretty cool trailer ;p

Elite seems to have gotten a nice little popularity boost from NMS. I know the reddit got an influx of new people posting and certainly this thread has picked up a pace a bit.

I've never seen it this busy before to be honest. I'm actually surprised how much of the new players are enjoying the game. I was always worried recommending the game cause of the steep learning curve.

Pomerlaw

Hauler, its an ugly ass ship that does everything decently (good jump range for cheap as well).

The Hauler is anything but ugly. Wash you mouth! :)

Look at that behind!

maxresdefault.jpg

Bubba77

Thanks to everyone recommending the Cobra mkIII. My god this thing is an amazing all purpose ship. I upgraded the crap out of it and its a tank. Mostly Im doing delivery missions right now with its massive cargo capacity, but that doesnt sacrifice its combat effectiveness. I was doing 2 large lucrative delivery missions at once so of course ships were pulling me out of supercruise constantly....Only to be obliterated.

Anyways loving this ship. Only wish the jump range was a bit higher, Im trying to get somewhere and have to fly around the entire galaxy because its just outside my range from somewhere else.

Also its great getting a new ship when you are playing in VR. in VR you notice the little things like light reflecting off the second cockpit seat in supercruise. Just adds to the immersion. Now if I can get someone else in that seat as well...

joecanada

Yeah, if you target the CMDR you can communicate directly. They show up on your radar as an open box like this [] instead of a solid one. It took me a while to figure that out! lol

ah yes, what about flying around? can you tell by the blips or their names or something who is npc and who is a person??

btw kudos to frontier just on the names alone in the npc pilots... I mean I can't remember them all now but they are literally stuff like:

ham solo
marty mcfry
johnny dangerous

etc... I laugh at a good 25% of them....

Reckheim

ah yes, what about flying around? can you tell by the blips or their names or something who is npc and who is a person??

btw kudos to frontier just on the names alone in the npc pilots... I mean I can't remember them all now but they are literally stuff like:

ham solo
marty mcfry
johnny dangerous

actual players have CMDR in front of their name, also on the radar the blips, instead of being a solid square are hollow squares.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine the Xbox Live sale has sold a few copies too. I'm gonna try and get one of buddies into it. Gonna download the game at his place and play on his projector, that will be cool.

ham solo
marty mcfry
johnny dangerous

All player names start with CMDR. "Marty mcfry" is an NPC (probably named by a Kickstarter backer); "CMDR Marty mcfry" is a player.

On the radar their icon will be a hollow box instead of solid.

edit: damn you joe

DrBo42

I only wish NMS came out and led people to Elite after 2.3 came out. Feel like it's only just finding its footing and preparing for meaningful content to come at the end of this year and next season. Hope people know this is still very much a WIP.

U2NUMB

With the game being on sale on the x1 I am very interested in this game but I do not have time to master a game. I just want to enjoy a space game ... So how challenging is this game? Can I chill and explore or am I always going to be under attack?

JambiBum

Thought I had a detailed surface scanner before I started my trip to Jacques. Turns out that I didn't and now I have to turn around 1klys and go buy one. Oops :(

@U2Numb

You can definitely just chill and explore if you want to. You might get attacked by npcs every now and then but honestly once you get so far out in space you don't really see other ships.

I only wish NMS came out and led people to Elite after 2.3 came out. Feel like it's only just finding its footing and preparing for meaningful content to come at the end of this year and next season. Hope people know this is still very much a WIP.

Yeah, it feels like it's JUST on the cusp of some much-needed mechanical depth.

Top Bottom