• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Next step: get TrackIR (or use FreeTrack/EDTracker) and your head will be your camera. This is THE game changer in combat.

Not even just combat. I have an X55 and use TrackIR. Simply looking at the panels to open them up is mind blowing shit. It's so easy to look to the right and pull up systems or to the left and pull up navigation.

Reckheim

Not even just combat. I have an X55 and use TrackIR. Simply looking at the panels to open them up is mind blowing shit. It's so easy to look to the right and pull up systems or to the left and pull up navigation.

I haven't tried this yet but do plan to in the near future. One thing that always confused me is, if you move your head to the right for example, how are you still looking at your computer screen, or you don't actually have to move your head as much as you do in game?

Currently have a 7b power plant in my Python. Cost me 16mil or maybe 17 can't remember. Found a station that was selling a 7a power plant... I think my eyes bugged out when I saw the highly affordable price of only 51 million lol.

I haven't tried this yet but do plan to in the near future. One thing that always confused me is, if you move your head to the right for example, how are you still looking at your computer screen, or you don't actually have to move your head as much as you do in game?

Yeah your head only moves a small amount but in game you turn right. The biggest adjustment for me was keeping my head steady during play.

la_briola

Its not linear mapping, you can calibrate it to your liking.
Lets say you want to turn your in-game head 90 degree to the left: you would then turn your head ~30 degree to the left, maybe even less. It is really intuitive.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Awesome, thanks guys. Which tracker is considered the best out there at the moment?

The TrackIR is considered the best, and it’s what I have and it is awesome. I pretty much can’t play the game without it anymore (same with Euro Truck and FSX now too), it makes that much of a difference. It’s also the most costly way to go though. There are cheaper alternatives and some of them work okay, but with TrackIR you get what you pay for, and it works fantastic.

Currently have a 7b power plant in my Python. Cost me 16mil or maybe 17 can't remember. Found a station that was selling a 7a power plant... I think my eyes bugged out when I saw the highly affordable price of only 51 million lol.

B components that have weight are something I always avoid because they are so heavy compared to the rest. I go D for the lightest or A for the most effective for almost everything except Shield cell and weightless internals.

The TrackIR is considered the best, and it’s what I have and it is awesome. I pretty much can’t play the game without it anymore (same with Euro Truck and FSX now too), it makes that much of a difference. It’s also the most costly way to go though. There are cheaper alternatives and some of them work okay, but with TrackIR you get what you pay for, and it works fantastic.

If you want to get an idea for how good it is, try the "TrackNoIR" program. It's free and gives you some basic headtracking using any webcam.

It's not that accurate (since it uses a the webcam's 2D image to guess where you're looking) and will sometimes trip-out at the worst possible time, but it gives you an idea of what it would be like if you have a proper head tracker.

I've not got round to putting down the cash on a proper system yet, but its clear to me that it would make the game much better.

B components that have weight are something I always avoid because they are so heavy compared to the rest. I go D for the lightest or A for the most effective for almost everything except Shield cell and weightless internals.
Cheers. I'll look into finding the nearest D plant that is sold near me and see how it compares. I can afford the A but I'm not dealing with power limitations right now so it's not necessary.

Ok so now that i've my CV1 and my 1070 and moved to my new house i want to replay this game but is there something to grind in prevision to the 2.2 ? i've been out of the game since 3 months at least.

I've a Vulture not fully fully geared but not far. Previously i dug bounty hunting but i was burnt out on it because it was too easy, is AI more of a threat right now?

Maybe i can grind for a new ship. I dont know where to restart honestly.

zorbsie

Had the same reaction looking at bulkhead prices for the Anaconda. Military grade composite is 132M. The Anaconda costs 141M. Still want it though :)

DrBo42

Ok so now that i've my CV1 and my 1070 and moved to my new house i want to replay this game but is there something to grind in prevision to the 2.2 ? i've been out of the game since 3 months at least.

I've a Vulture not fully fully geared but not far. Previously i dug bounty hunting but i was burnt out on it because it was too easy, is AI more of a threat right now?

Maybe i can grind for a new ship. I dont know where to restart honestly.

Engineer upgrades are the new grind if you missed that. Enemy AI was more dangerous but people complained and it got scaled back pretty noticeably IMO. Bigger ships use SCBs and chaff a little more effectively. Fighting a group of NPCs is the only real threat I've seen, especially with the higher ranks.

Speaking of head tracking, I've seen there are some ways to play E:D using a Gear VR. Has anyone tried that? If the lag isn't too bad I wouldn't mind picking up a Gear VR for Elite.

Engineer upgrades are the new grind if you missed that. Enemy AI was more dangerous but people complained and it got scaled back pretty noticeably IMO. Bigger ships use SCBs and chaff a little more effectively. Fighting a group of NPCs is the only real threat I've seen, especially with the higher ranks.

Thanks for the head up. i have to make up my mind upgrading my vulture or go for a new ship.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
How expensive is it to fit a decent asp explorer for deep space exploration cI am thinking of doing that deliver discovery data to jaques community goal at some point.

Reckheim

Speaking of head tracking, I've seen there are some ways to play E:D using a Gear VR. Has anyone tried that? If the lag isn't too bad I wouldn't mind picking up a Gear VR for Elite.

I didn't use gear VR, but i did get it to work with my HTC M8 and cardboard (there is a tutotrial out there on how to get it to work with Riftcat).

It worked but the resolution just wasnt high enough to give a sense of immersion which kind of sucked.

not sure how it would look like with GearVR but i'm thinking that would the same case.

I didn't use gear VR, but i did get it to work with my HTC M8 and cardboard (there is a tutotrial out there on how to get it to work with Riftcat).

It worked but the resolution just wasnt high enough to give a sense of immersion which kind of sucked.

not sure how it would look like with GearVR but i'm thinking that would the same case.

Ahh, damn. I wonder if some newer phones might work better? iirc Note 7 is like 4k screen resolution -- but I don't know what resolution is required to fix that lack of immersion.

Is this worth getting for the Xbox One? How are the visuals etc. I tried it when Game Previews launched but kept crashing my ship during landing.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
How expensive is it to fit a decent asp explorer for deep space exploration cI am thinking of doing that deliver discovery data to jaques community goal at some point.

It really shouldn't be too bad because most of the standard modules you will be using won't be A rated besides the frame shift drive. Assuming you want the highest jump range it would be like 6 million for the modules:
5D Power Plant
5D Thrusters
5A Frameshift Drive
4D Life Support
4D Power Distributor
4D Sensors

+ the ship which is 6 million (before the li yong-rui discount).

Really the biggest expense is going to be how willing you are to buy a big fuel scoop

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It really shouldn't be too bad because most of the standard modules you will be using won't be A rated besides the frame shift drive. Assuming you want the highest jump range it would be like 6 million for the modules:
5D Power Plant
5D Thrusters
5A Frameshift Drive
4D Life Support
4D Power Distributor
4D Sensors

Oh that's not too bad and should be within affordable range by the time I finish up doing federation rank missions. Why the 4D life support over stock? If your canopy cracks in deep space does the extra few minutes make that much of a difference?

Is this worth getting for the Xbox One? How are the visuals etc. I tried it when Game Previews launched but kept crashing my ship during landing.
It works great on Xbone. It crashed a handful of times during preview for me also but that rarely happens now. It's crashed maybe 2 or 3 times this year that I can recall.

The visuals are superb. 30fps. Some framerate dips launching into hyperspace and when first driving away from your ship in the SRV. Other than that I haven't noticed any performance problems.

Reckheim

Oh that's not too bad and should be within affordable range by the time I finish up doing federation rank missions. Why the 4D life support over stock? If your canopy cracks in deep space does the extra few minutes make that much of a difference?

If you're canopy cracks in deep space, you're done. Life support is useless in exploration as there are not stations around.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

The D rated stuff is less mass and makes for a further jump range. The extra time just allows you a few minutes to think of your loved ones before you slowly fade in to the abyss lol.

Play around on https://coriolis.io and you will see the difference swapping out to the D rated modules gives your jump range. It is also just a nice place to see the projected cost of your ship.

Just remember to buy in a li yong-rui system for a ship discount. You can use: https://eddb.io/station to find the nearest li yong-rui system that has the modules + ship you want. He will be listed under "powers".

joecanada

are the community goals always worth it? Like I have the goal to bring superconductors to Maim?(sp)? which is decently close to me, maybe 35-40 ly away. seems okay if I can start a loop nearby.... how long should I spend doing this if I wanted to say hit the top 50 percent or so...

only have a cobra with 16 cargo slots but could easily dump some optionals for some more , would this also be smart idea?

D is lightest. That applies to all internal components that have mass.

Grief.exe

Figured I'd take a break from combat and do some exploring. Found this brown star (I think) with rings. Haven't come across this before and with so many rings, thought I'd share it.
screenshot-originalhyqk6.png

Search Brown Dwarf to learn about those stars. Not quite enough mass for fusion.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
5D Power Plant
5D Thrusters
5A Frameshift Drive
4D Life Support
4D Power Distributor
4D Sensors

Really the biggest expense is going to be how willing you are to buy a big fuel scoop

Yep, my 6A fuel scoop on my Asp costs 28 million by itself. The scoop alone costs more than everything else on the rest of the ship combined, and that includes the price of the ship itself! Still worth it though.

Oh, and do not put a 5D power plant on the Asp. You always, always want to put A rated plants in exploration vessels, as A rated plants have the best heat efficiency, and that is very important when fuel scooping regularly. I run with a 3A power plant in my Asp, and I just juggle between the scoop and the SRV bay when needed as I'll never need both at the same time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. You only need to learn the mechanics.

Lol, I'm starting to get the hang of it. Docking I'm some places is tricky still. I haven't been able to find places where I meet requirements for missions, guess I will have to jump elsewhere.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Yep, my 6A fuel scoop on my Asp costs 28 million by itself. The scoop alone costs more than everything else on the rest of the ship combined, and that includes the price of the ship itself! Still worth it though.

Oh, and do not put a 5D power plant on the Asp. You always, always want to put A rated plants in exploration vessels, as A rated plants have the best heat efficiency, and that is very important when fuel scooping regularly. I run with a 3A power plant in my Asp, and I just juggle between the scoop and the SRV bay when needed as I'll never need both at the same time.

Good point and great advice. I usually also bring 2 AFM with me if I am traveling super far out of the bubble. One to repair the other but I'm also paranoid, so there is that.

Bubba77

I have 35 hours into elite exclusively with VR oculus. I wouldnt even know how to access parts of the hud without head tracking! VR elite is amazing

joecanada

I have 35 hours into elite exclusively with VR oculus. I wouldnt even know how to access parts of the hud without head tracking! VR elite is amazing

holy shit that sounds amazing. a bit out of my budget but I am super stoked I just upgraded from a gtx 720 (stock in my machine) to a EVGA SC 1060 ...so I am thinking I may see slightly better visuals there....

cue cookie monster waiting gif

It works great on Xbone. It crashed a handful of times during preview for me also but that rarely happens now. It's crashed maybe 2 or 3 times this year that I can recall.

The visuals are superb. 30fps. Some framerate dips launching into hyperspace and when first driving away from your ship in the SRV. Other than that I haven't noticed any performance problems.

Thanks. Just bought the deluxe edition, looking forward to landing on planets.

JambiBum

So I noticed that most of the people on my friends list for ED tend to play in solo mode. Is there a reason why you guys do that? I play in open 100% of the time and I've never ran into any problems with other players. Hell I think in all of my time playing I've only ever been killed by another player like 5 times. I just like being able to run across other players and saying hi every now and then even if they don't always respond. Especially when I'm far away from the bubble and I see someone else.

I have a private group set up but no one is ever in it so I just play in open. If more people were to join it I'd play in it more often.

Should note that this is only for PC players for all of you new xbox folk.

My friends and I play in our own private groups (Xbox) depending on who is on at the time. I've played in open occasionally, but mostly from forgetting what mode I was in after logging to stack boom data missions lol.

Top Bottom