• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

Thanks for all that info. Question. Why only chaffs? Why not point defense? Also, do these countermeasures trigger automatically when part of the a tive fire group? Or do i need to set them to a button?

I havent gotten a fuel scoop on my new cobra because it had such a large tank. Mistake?

Lastly. Engineer upgrades. Is this a late game thing? How and where do I get this stuff?

My cobra now is a mix of cargo freighter, fighter, mining vessel. Should I be specializing more?

Point defense is passive, chaff and ECM are not. The reason you don't really need a point defense is that you're fast and maneuverable enough to evade a missile or torpedo. Big ships not so much.

Engineer upgrades are available as soon as you meet the requirements to meet with them. The materials required vary from destruction of certain classes of ships, surface materials, scan data, high wake scan data, data point scanning, mission rewards and commodities.

Cobra is the first multi purpose ship in the tier list, you can do whatever you want with it. No strict path.

Kin5290

Huh. Does anyone have advice on how to fit a Python? I haven't played since long before Horizons and, coming back to the game, the Python feels a lot more fragile than I remember it to be.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So are you guys planning on keeping your ship anywhere in particular for the 28th? Not much talk about the events on here... surely I'm not the only one excited to see where this ride goes.

Bubba77

Point defense is passive, chaff and ECM are not. The reason you don't really need a point defense is that you're fast and maneuverable enough to evade a missile or torpedo. Big ships not so much.

Engineer upgrades are available as soon as you meet the requirements to meet with them. The materials required vary from destruction of certain classes of ships, surface materials, scan data, high wake scan data, data point scanning, mission rewards and commodities.

Cobra is the first multi purpose ship in the tier list, you can do whatever you want with it. No strict path.

Thanks. Im only 35 hours in so Im still figuring out everything. Funny to say that about a game. Im "only" 35 hours in. But Im hooked. I have deus ex and others waiting to play but I cant put the rift and ED down.

vector824

Get whatever you can afford. Usually the first things you want to max out on a ship are the Power Plant, Thrusters and FSD. For offense, put basic Pulses and multicannons on it at first, then diversify as you get more money in the bank.

Notes:

- Always expect get the D sensor and D lifesupport, on every ship forever. There are some exceptions with ships that have more power than they need, but this is the general rule. D modules are lighter than the others and draw the least power; critical for power-limited ships. Higher grade sensors are generally useless and higher grade life support is convenient but usually unnecessary.

- For future reference, use this website ( https://coriolis.io ) and don't buy a new ship until you can afford the minimum acceptable build on it (usually D-grade core internals).

- Cobra can be mostly D rated and really strong. I'd suggest this build as the early goal:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...00m0303B32pv66e.Iw1-kA==.MwBj5BGbJAmMkAsKg===

In this example, I would have recommended not buying a Cobra until you had about $1.4 million banked. Buying a ship that you can't afford to upgrade any internals on (just the bare bones ship) is usually going to be a worse experience than whatever you just left behind. Weak shields, bigger as a target, bigger losses should you die.

Use that online tool to figure out not only what you want in your next build or ship, but also to know what your financial target is in order to do so. Plan, folks!

Lastly,

- Don't buy what you can't cover with insurance. Players have quit the game because they bought a ship, flew it into the side of an asteroid without enough money to cover their rebuy and had to start over again in a Sidewinder. People that played for months and saved enough to buy Anacondas had to start over from Sidewinders. Don't be that guy. Check the insurance costs and use that online tool (it tells you all of that before you even buy the ship). Don't get your ship repossessed by making a series of mistakes that starts with flying without insurance coverage.

Great! Well I have the insurance part covered at least. That exact thing happened to my friend, I don't the he's played it since.

I did upgrade to pulses and multi cannons. I'll keep in mind the D rated components! Thanks for putting that build together!

jond76

Banned
So are you guys planning on keeping your ship anywhere in particular for the 28th? Not much talk about the events on here... surely I'm not the only one excited to see where this ride goes.

I heard something is up for the 28th... Is there a rumor of whats going down?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I heard something is up for the 28th... Is there a rumor of whats going down?

What's happening on the 28th? I feel like I'm out of the loop.

A lot to explain but the summary would be, in no exact order:
- "Organic" barnacles were discovered on planets
- Unknown Artifacts, Unknown Probes, and Meta Alloys were discovered.
- Someone got the idea to honk the unknown probes and it sort of delivered an EMP and a weird noise.
- Someone ran that sound through a spectrogram and got this image back:
9uBAkwo.jpg
- The probe points to Merope 5. People combed Merope 5 looking for anything but pretty much only came up with barnacles with capital ships hovering over them.
- Some of the Tip Off messages you receive really indicate some type of alien attack.
- During each of the 4 gamescom streams, during David Braben's interviews static would interrupt the stream showing a brief image and some binary. These have all been decoded indicated something more happening on the 28th.
- Binary messages have started showing up at some of the stations giving further clues.
Edit:
One of the images from the David Braben interview transmissions. Possibly showing a downed unknown ship.
The decoded binary message from all of the Braben interview transmissions:
"The hunt begins on the 28th
To find us, look for a bounty hunter.
To find more clues, you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings and enough radiation to turn you green."
Pre-Logistics GAMMA and other Pre-Logistic stations are prime suspects here.

Here the transmissions from the interviews. Pretty neat:

Interview 1: https://youtu.be/wQaK-j1n8co?t=4m45s
Interview 2: https://youtu.be/-YGlW4WB90Y?t=2m41s
Interview 3: https://youtu.be/d8z4_fezVTA?t=3m59s
Interview 4: https://youtu.be/UaaGw66Q1B8?t=1m25s

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wanted only and the targets will have a message that says mission target after you scan them. Just be patient in the nav beacon, you'll see them eventually. You can try your luck in Unknown signal sources or get an frameshift interdictor and look for wanted targets in super cruise. Shouldn't take too long to find 6.

Hmm well I've been bounty hunting at the nav beacon for over an hour now and I haven't found any mission targets lol. I guess this really is gonna take a while. Do I need a kill warrant scanner or something? Debating abandoning the mission and finding one that doesn't take as long to finish lol but I'm worried ditching it will kill my rep.

Aight ditched it and picked up a navy courier mission lol, 57% towards rank 3! Getting closer to sol.

Hmm well I've been bounty hunting at the nav beacon for over an hour now and I haven't found any mission targets lol. I guess this really is gonna take a while. Do I need a kill warrant scanner or something? Debating abandoning the mission and finding one that doesn't take as long to finish lol but I'm worried ditching it will kill my rep.

Aight ditched it and picked up a navy courier mission lol, 57% towards rank 3! Getting closer to sol.

These ones take forever. I had two stacked with same type of pirate, literally 4 hours of jumping from RES site to RES site and couldn't find the 6 I needed.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
There is a bit of party going down at Apademak right now. People are waiting to see if the first new clue hits soon or tomorrow that were hinted at in the decoded herald messages.

DrBo42

These ones take forever. I had two stacked with same type of pirate, literally 4 hours of jumping from RES site to RES site and couldn't find the 6 I needed.

Finding pirates for missions IMO is best hanging out near the star in supercruise with a FSD interdictor.

JambiBum

There's also a funeral procession being done today for a cmdr that committed suicide tonight in Eravate at 9:30 Est if anyone wants to watch it. He was a military veteran so they are going to do a military style 21 gun salute and then an actual procession. Where they are going I'm not sure. They are supposed to be recording it as well.

Sibylus

Banned
Had the worst, the WORST coop surface mission experience with my partner last night. We hit the same canister sites, fought badly, drove badly, then once we got the hang we recalled our ships and they starting fucking each other to death over the same landing corridor for 10 minutes before thankfully breaking apart (what a way to be stranded on a planet...), then once reaching orbit we realized we had some of the other's hard-coded mission canisters, so we swapped in the vacuum and finally turned the mission in.

Good goddess above. This was the least-sexy spaceship impreg slash fic of all time. OF ALL TIME.

joecanada

Is the 500k scanner worth it if you're just messing around in a cobra ? I'll go 30-40 ly but not much more generally on missions.

Also do any of you pick home bases / systems or are you all nomads ? Like what do you do in this game ? lol

If there's a community goal will you all go 100 ly or more to join ?

Is the 500k scanner worth it if you're just messing around in a cobra ? I'll go 30-40 ly but not much more generally on missions.

Also do any of you pick home bases / systems or are you all nomads ? Like what do you do in this game ? lol

Ship transfer is coming so you won't need a "home system" for much longer.

Personally to get to the engineer I wanted, I had travel 144LY, 11 jumps. It honestly wasn't all that bad.

JambiBum

I have a home system but I don't really go to it anymore unless I need to get a different ship. Most people tend to keep all of their ships in the same area if they can just so that they are easier to keep track of. If you are going to make a system your home territory you want to choose a system where the station isn't that far from the main star so that you don't have to fly that far each time you want to land.

People do whatever they want. Just look at the thread to see the different stuff that everyone is doing. Right now I'm flying to Jacques station for the community goal which is 22k lys away from the bubble. I fucked up my trip early on so now I'm out of heat sinks so if I don't pay attention when I jump somewhere I could end up dead. Which means starting at the last station I parked at 10k lys away and losing all of the first discoveries that I have found so far.

joecanada

Ship transfer is coming so you won't need a "home system" for much longer.

Personally to get to the engineer I wanted, I had travel 144LY, 11 jumps. It honestly wasn't all that bad.

Wait what ? You have to go get the engineer how did you know they were there

I have a home system but I don't really go to it anymore unless I need to get a different ship. Most people tend to keep all of their ships in the same area if they can just so that they are easier to keep track of. If you are going to make a system your home territory you want to choose a system where the station isn't that far from the main star so that you don't have to fly that far each time you want to land.

People do whatever they want. Just look at the thread to see the different stuff that everyone is doing. Right now I'm flying to Jacques station for the community goal which is 22k lys away from the bubble. I fucked up my trip early on so now I'm out of heat sinks so if I don't pay attention when I jump somewhere I could end up dead. Which means starting at the last station I parked at 10k lys away and losing all of the first discoveries that I have found so far.

Thanks I was kind of joking with the comment I'm about 40 hours in and it's so big ! Lol .

Ya that sucks I hit a string of dead stars once and what do you do ? Crash into the sun or self destruct? Lol

Wow 10k ly . I looked at a community goal like that once but it seemed to say it was too far? Are their consideration u must take when going so far ?

JambiBum

Wait what ? You have to go get the engineer how did you know they were there

Thanks I was kind of joking with the comment I'm about 40 hours in and it's so big ! Lol .

Ya that sucks I hit a string of dead stars once and what do you do ? Crash into the sun or self destruct? Lol

Wow 10k ly . I looked at a community goal like that once but it seemed to say it was too far? Are their consideration u must take when going so far ?

In order to not hit dead stars that you can't scoop you want to sort the map by star type and only leave these star classes (O, B, A, F, G, K, M) because they are the only ones that you can scoop for fuel. You might still pass through a system that you can't scoop every now and then but you will be able to look at the map when you get low on fuel and jump to a star you can scoop from.

If you do run out of fuel however, you can look up the fuel rats and contact them. Someone will come out and give you fuel to rescue you. Just gotta hope that they can get to you in time before you run out of air.

You can't plan a route to somewhere that is more than 1k lys away so you have to plan in spurts. Just make sure that you check that you are going in the correction direction and you'll be fine. You usually want at least heat sinks and auto field maintenance units to start. AFMs will repair any modules that might get damaged from overheating or dropping out of cruise too quickly. I don't carry any with me though because I like to live life on the edge. If you want to make money out of a trip then you need an advanced discovery scanner at least. A detailed surface scanner is good too but they take longer to use so I only do it every now and then.

Hunting in supercruise and frame shift drive interdictor maybe the better way.

Jedi2016

Last time I had one of those I just hung out at a Nav Beacon for a while. They started trickling in after about ten or fifteen minutes, then ramped up until there were like ten of them. Maybe just give it a while.

HeliosT10

Hey guys, hope you can help a fellow CMDR out :)

Am looking for a good but pretty cheap Asp Explorer build. I've found a couple but would love to hear what you guys think.

The Cowboy

I never get tired of that rush when you break out of hyperspace in front of a star. Would be scary as hell IRL

It is indeed awesome, I only started playing at the start of last week (up to a fully A graded Asp Explorer now with a few mods on it - dirty drive is so good on this thing :D) and during my 1st bit of jumping when i started I warped into my 1st white dwarf, it was "wow that star is so small, lol" to BOOM, pulled out of supercruise and "HOLY SHIT, ITS GOT ME!!!!".

I barely made it out alive, and it was great.

renzollo

Banned
This is going to sound like a strange question, but can anybody recommend a fast method for discarding lots of currency in-game? I tinker with software security as a side hobby and when ED launched I was toying around with the code in the bounty system and ended up getting a ~5,000,000,000 credit reward for a bounty (I thought there would be a much smaller value on the stack at the time :p). I picked it up again recently to play more seriously and having that much currency kind of devalues the game, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it quickly legitimately. I think there are some ships that can cost upwards for a few hundred million?

This is going to sound like a strange question, but can anybody recommend a fast method for discarding lots of currency in-game? I tinker with software security as a side hobby and when ED launched I was toying around with the code in the bounty system and ended up getting a ~5,000,000,000 credit reward for a bounty. I picked it up again recently to play more seriously and having that much currency kind of devalues the game, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it quickly legitimately. I think there are some ships that can cost upwards for a few hundred million?
Anaconda is ~148mil. Cutter is ~208mil. Corvette is somewhere between those two. You need high ranks with the Empire and Federation to buy the Cutter and Corvette though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is going to sound like a strange question, but can anybody recommend a fast method for discarding lots of currency in-game? I tinker with software security as a side hobby and when ED launched I was toying around with the code in the bounty system and ended up getting a ~5,000,000,000 credit reward for a bounty (I thought there would be a much smaller value on the stack at the time :p). I picked it up again recently to play more seriously and having that much currency kind of devalues the game, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it quickly legitimately. I think there are some ships that can cost upwards for a few hundred million?

You can always just delete your save.

renzollo

Banned
Anaconda is ~148mil. Cutter is ~208mil. Corvette is somewhere between those two. You need high ranks with the Empire and Federation to buy the Cutter and Corvette though.

Meh, so there really is no easy way to just dump it quickly without having progressed further into the game

You can always just delete your save.

I guess this might end up being the best option, I haven't really put any serious time into grinding rep yet so it wouldn't be a massive loss.

Thanks for the info

I've spent like 5 hours today working to unlock Qwent (engineer).

I had to start with Sirius Corp raising them up from nothing. Went over to Sothis to do some Combat Zones, delivery runs and salvage missions. Maxed out my "allied" points.

I then fly over next to Sothis to pick up my Sothis Permit. I get that. I then mosy into Sothis and dock at the main space port. No mission or anything for Qwent. I relog and look again. Nothing. Welp, after about 15 minutes, I decide that's enough and go back to attempt to unlock the engineer that wants the Cigars. I've been stuck at 39/50 cigars for about 12 hours. Flew all the way back to that station (200LY, give or take) and surprise surprise! Still out of stock on cigars.

So. 6 or 7 hours of play, all I have to show for it is super-duper allegiance to Sirius Corp. No capital raised. No engineers unlocked. And not especially clear on what needs to be done from here to do so. How long am I to wait for some fucking cigars? What mechanism will trigger access to Qwent from here?

It's like a fun mystery that isn't fun.

Delete the save and start over again. You'll move up fast. It'll be worth it.

Just pulled the trigger on a save game clear, loading into my "New Commander" Horizons Sidewinder now :p

Do you need a refresher on how to make money efficiently? If so you'll be in something over a million before the weekend is ends. They lowered the length of time it takes to get paid a great deal since the early days, early last year.

renzollo

Banned
Do you need a refresher on how to make money efficiently? If so you'll be in something over a million before the weekend is ends. They lowered the length of time it takes to get paid a great deal since the early days, early last year.

To be honest, at this point I need a refresher on "how to efficiently upgrade a starting ship when you don't have infinity credits to spend". I was planning to follow the mission boards around for awhile to get the hang of flying again, and I'd like to see the scarab stuff also, but I don't really have any idea on efficient money making strategy, no.

SmartBase

I guess I'm going for a bit of a galactic adventure, I hope a circumnavigation will be enough for me to hit exploration Elite.

And I might as well have named my CMDR Kevin Costner with all of these water worlds around, sheesh.

uberluigi

Banned
Just bought the game yesterday and this is my first space simulator. Is there anyway to make the ships turn faster? Also there's a data delivery mission I'm trying to do but the route is unavailable, is it because I'm too far? So far I'm confused as fuck and I really want to get into this game. Any tips for beginners?

Just bought the game yesterday and this is my first space simulator. Is there anyway to make the ships turn faster? Also there's a data delivery mission I'm trying to do but the route is unavailable, is it because I'm too far? So far I'm confused as fuck and I really want to get into this game. Any tips for beginners?

upgrade your thrusters and/or buy light parts.

D-rated parts are the lightest kind of part. But they are generally less powerful.

If you have light parts and an A-rated thruster and are still turning kinda slow, it's a limitation of the ship.

renzollo

Banned

Also note that maneuvering is based heavily on your current ship speed, pay attention to the blue section on your throttle and adjust your speed up and down to optimize ship maneuvering. Using roll + pitch is almost always faster than using yaw or pitch alone (I guess "faster" here is a relative term depending on how much of an arc you're trying to turn). I'm no expert though, there are lots of youtube videos by people that actually know how to fly.

Top Bottom