• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

gkeller16

Neo Member
LOL at least is is a pretty cool trailer ;p

Elite seems to have gotten a nice little popularity boost from NMS. I know the reddit got an influx of new people posting and certainly this thread has picked up a pace a bit.

I found out about this game after buying NMS and hating it. Someone mentioned in a comment on youtube something about "well looks like Xbox got the better space game in elite dangerous".

I bought it last friday on Xbox and having a blast with it. I have upgraded to a Viper and have about 4 million right now and looking to get the Vulture. What I like about this game is I always feel a sense of progression when I am done playing,unlike NMS. Looking forward to learning more about this game and have been watching a ton of videos to get better.

DrBo42

With the game being on sale on the x1 I am very interested in this game but I do not have time to master a game. I just want to enjoy a space game ... So how challenging is this game? Can I chill and explore or am I always going to be under attack?
It's not a pick up and play for an hour here and there type of game really. Doesn't exactly respect your time. Not super challenging but everything is built with a respect of scale and making you feel tiny in the galaxy. Travel and docking are something they really emphasize in terms of making it feel immersive and therefore it takes a while to do.

Skill requirement isn't very high for you to be a competent player in any path.

I finally broke 1 million credits! I'm thinking about buying a Type-6 Transporter and trying some bulk trading. If I end up wanting to outfit for other stuff (say, mining) would the Type-6 be okay for that? I'll probably keep my Cobra MKIII in reserve for combat scenarios.

DrBo42

I finally broke 1 million credits! I'm thinking about buying a Type-6 Transporter and trying some bulk trading. If I end up wanting to outfit for other stuff (say, mining) would the Type-6 be okay for that? I'll probably keep my Cobra MKIII in reserve for combat scenarios.
Yeah, type 6 is fine. Just grab a good collector controller, refinery and prospector controller. Don't forget the limpets :)

JambiBum

Mengy (or anyone else that explores) if a planet doesn't have a discovered by name and you scan it, do you not get your name attached to it until you turn in the data? I've found a few on my way to Jacques but when I scan them my name doesn't show up afterwards. I've never actually had the chance to be the first to discover one so I'm not sure how it works.

E-flux

I got my friend into the game few days ago, I hage been flying in my Adder which I just tuned with enhanced thusters and grade 3 dirty drives. My school bus goes so fast now, I love it.

E-flux

Mengy (or anyone else that explores) if a planet doesn't have a discovered by name and you scan it, do you not get your name attached to it until you turn in the data? I've found a few on my way to Jacques but when I scan them my name doesn't show up afterwards. I've never actually had the chance to be the first to discover one so I'm not sure how it works.

You get your name on it once you sell the data, it should notify you about it when you sell the exploration data.

joecanada

All player names start with CMDR. "Marty mcfry" is an NPC (probably named by a Kickstarter backer); "CMDR Marty mcfry" is a player.

On the radar their icon will be a hollow box instead of solid.

edit: damn you joe

hahaha kickstarters came up with these names?? that's so great. I'm gonna start compiling a list of them , or better yet pics lol. one of the better uses of kickstarter I have seen.... some of them are so good

wait what do you mean , aren't you flying around in a million dollar ship? lol. the fastest way to make money in a cobra/viper etc I know of is still to jump from nav beacon to nav beacon and just open up on wanted people. better yet in systems where you are known you get even more help.

I'm kind of a big deal in rajonta, bijata, lol. I think from doing this quite a bit that most of the action hits within the first 20 minutes so what I find is that if you say leave from your station (see I chose bitjala because the dock is close), you get to the nav beacon, fight for 20 minutes , then if you are still good and healthy jump to next system, fight at nav beacon and turn in rewards if applicable... get repairs, heal up and then jump back to your home station but stop for the feeding frenzy at the nav beacon once more, and go back home for rewards.
I can usually nab about 130 - 250 k in about an hour this way. there's probably better ways but its the most fighting I can find in shortest time. (especially since nav beacons are so close to jump points).

Hey guys, word on the street is that there is a capital class battle going on in LTT 911. If you haven't had the experience, get in your favorite combat ship and jump into the High Intensity CZ.

Let us know how it goes
3AQmK.gif

DrBo42

I can usually nab about 130 - 250 k in about an hour this way. there's probably better ways but its the most fighting I can find in shortest time. (especially since nav beacons are so close to jump points).

Shieeeeet. Grab a kill warrant scanner (shield cell bank for emergencies) and head into a hazardous res site. Find an instance that's spawning anacondas and clippers etc they're up to 300k bounties alone. Try and wait until they're in combat with bounty hunters or they're pirating someone. If you're in a viper or cobra, only go for the ones that are solo. Make sure you start the fight at their back, hug them hard so they can't get a bead on you. Focus the power plant to disable them fast. You'll never go back to nav beacons.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
How come the Elite Dangerous reviews are so bad on Steam?

From what I gather, the game used to be a lot more barren content wise, some people got mad when they had to pay 30 bucks for an expansion, some people didn't like the slow pace, some people played it for 1000 hours and got annoyed with it, and some people didn't like it.

Yeah the Cobra is an amazing little ship. Definitely recommended!

I'm more than happy to help people out with tips or even winging up if they like. I'm Anastazius in-game. Fly safe, commanders!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That moment when you think you're winning an interdiction but then the escape vector just goes wild and you get dropped out hard into a 2v1.

I barely escape that with my life, once my canopy started shattering my butt cheeks started clenching hard.

8% hull when I finally managed to get the FSD up and warp to a random star.

That moment when you think you're winning an interdiction but then the escape vector just goes wild and you get dropped out hard into a 2v1.

I barely escape that with my life, once my canopy started shattering my butt cheeks started clenching hard.

That moment when the canopy shatters is both thrilling and terrifying. I've had a few times when I managed to escape only to find the nearest star port and pretty much land in blind.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

It is usually much faster and much safer to submit to the interdiction. Boost. Super Cruise.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That moment when the canopy shatters is both thrilling and terrifying. I've had a few times when I managed to escape only to find the nearest star port and pretty much land in blind.

The worst is hearing it start to crack lmao.

It is usually much faster and much safer to submit to the interdiction. Boost. Super Cruise.

Oh huh that makes sense how do you submit without it burning out your FSD? Throttle down to 0?

Oh huh that makes sense how do you submit without it burning out your FSD? Throttle down to 0?

Yeah if you immediately drop throttle down to 0 you will submit and have full control of your ship without spinning out of control etc.

If it's a security patrol I usually do that because at least they never shoot immediately and scan first.

And yeah I love the detail that even the HUD basically breaks when the canopy goes. Trying to approach a tiny spaceport with no time to spare and a borked HUD is a thrilling experience.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Yep. Just pull all the way back and it will say submitting to interdiction in the info panel. When you drop out you will have a very small FSD cool down. Basically by the time your engine boost is done your FSD will be ready to charge and go.

ah yes, what about flying around? can you tell by the blips or their names or something who is npc and who is a person??

btw kudos to frontier just on the names alone in the npc pilots... I mean I can't remember them all now but they are literally stuff like:

ham solo
marty mcfry
johnny dangerous

etc... I laugh at a good 25% of them....
Killed a npc named The Coffee Man during the community goal in Arque. Kinda felt bad. Maybe should have let him live...

joecanada

Is chaff or other countermeasures useful against hostile NPCs?

Yes they work the same. Especially since some NPCs actually use missiles so works pretty good

If today's posts are any indication it's the Cobra MK3

True I just bought one and it's true it's the multipurpose king.

But you can start with a hauler or viper too. I have a 1.5 million viper that fights well. But mainly only fights.

Hauler you can start being a trader but it's not even worth trying to fight in it. Just max out cargo and jump distance and go nuts ... You will get shot on occasion but as long as you take missions with low fail penalty it's all good because hauler is cheap to replace. Also you can just dump the goods and run

Xater

Someone tell me how to make my Viper MkIV the perfect bounty hunter ship. I'm not even sure about the weapons I have right now. The medium multi cannons seem a bit weak.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright so I accepted this mission for my next navy rank.

But I don't quite understand it, so the system doesn't seem to have any RES sites and hanging around the nav point and bounty hunting is fine but I don't quite know what targets I'm looking for as none of the wanted targets are marked as mission targets. At first I thought it was just killing wanted people in the system but then I figured it has to be wanted people who are aligned to the Perendi Federal Industries, which seem to be completely non existent.

I was tempted to start shooting anyone aligned with them but I am not sure if that will just end up with the cops showing up and me claiming insurance a few minutes later.

Any advice?

Alright so I accepted this mission for my next navy rank.

But I don't quite understand it, so the system doesn't seem to have any RES sites and hanging around the nav point and bounty hunting is fine but I don't quite know what targets I'm looking for as none of the wanted targets are marked as mission targets. At first I thought it was just killing wanted people in the system but then I figured it has to be wanted people who are aligned to the Perendi Federal Industries, which seem to be completely non existent.

I was tempted to start shooting anyone aligned with them but I am not sure if that will just end up with the cops showing up and me claiming insurance a few minutes later.

Any advice?

Wanted only and the targets will have a message that says mission target after you scan them. Just be patient in the nav beacon, you'll see them eventually. You can try your luck in Unknown signal sources or get an frameshift interdictor and look for wanted targets in super cruise. Shouldn't take too long to find 6.

Thought i would jump back into Elite after No Man Skying. I backed it and played a fair amount when it launched but didnt really make much progress money wise. I managed to scrape together enough for a Cobra.

Ive loaded it up (dont have horizons yet) and it seems like a fair amount has been added to the game but i never was very good at making money - what would you pros recommend? Im in Sol (must have ended my previous play session at Earth) and i think i did more trading than fighting. Should i just pick up bounty missions etc to raise some space dollars? Should i join a faction? (this wasnt in the game last time i played). Some dude on the youtube was mining asteriods, is that a good way to have fun and earn?

I dont have a lot of time to play and i know this game is like a second career so any tips would be much appreciated commanders.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Thought i would jump back into Elite after No Man Skying. I backed it and played a fair amount when it launched but didnt really make much progress money wise. I managed to scrape together enough for a Cobra.

Ive loaded it up (dont have horizons yet) and it seems like a fair amount has been added to the game but i never was very good at making money - what would you pros recommend? Im in Sol (must have ended my previous play session at Earth) and i think i did more trading than fighting. Should i just pick up bounty missions etc to raise some space dollars? Should i join a faction? (this wasnt in the game last time i played). Some dude on the youtube was mining asteriods, is that a good way to have fun and earn?

I dont have a lot of time to play and i know this game is like a second career so any tips would be much appreciated commanders.

If you want to make money fast, mission stacking in Sothis is usually the best way once you have a decent sized cargo hold. I'd just recommend trying stuff out though. Try mining. Do some bounty hunting. Keep an eye on some of the community goals because those can be pretty fun.

There are some interesting mysteries hinting at Aliens that are current going down in the game. More is supposed to be revealed tomorrow, the 28th. I had a lot of fun taking the SRV around Merope 5 when everyone was convinced there was more there than barnacles and just talking with everyone.

I really hope Frontier makes another pass on the "find pirates and destroy them" missions. At least designate an area where they will be more likely and not have to fumble around an entire damn system to find 6 pirate ships which may or may not appear.

I found a tech system that is at war with other systems. They keep giving me missions to land on planets and take out generators in settlements. Holy shit they're lucrative. The mission takes about 20 minutes but I make upwards of 600k from them. My list of dormant bounties is stacking, but I don't mind with how much i'm making.

The quickest way early on from my experience seems to be bounties. Outfit your ship for some combat and then sit at a nav beacon and take out wanted targets. Generally you'll want to make sure the cops are hitting the target so that you don't get focused. Play it safe. If you die you lose all those bounties.

vector824

I got a Cobra woohoo! Glad to be out of that paper airplane.

Any loadout suggestions? Going to be trading and bounty hunting for now.

Someone tell me how to make my Viper MkIV the perfect bounty hunter ship. I'm not even sure about the weapons I have right now. The medium multi cannons seem a bit weak.
It was good hanging with you earlier sir. We'll definitely wing it up in the future. Just need to finish getting my engineer upgrades done on my FSD.

Speaking of... With just the first tier range upgrade my Python is up to 26.69/30.66LY. Not bad, not bad.

Xater

It was good hanging with you earlier sir. We'll definitely wing it up in the future. Just need to finish getting my engineer upgrades done on my FSD.

Speaking of... With just the first tier range upgrade my Python is up to 26.69/30.66LY. Not bad, not bad.

It was. I hung out with your friends for a while afterwards. Nice people.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yeah if you immediately drop throttle down to 0 you will submit and have full control of your ship without spinning out of control etc.

If it's a security patrol I usually do that because at least they never shoot immediately and scan first.

And yeah I love the detail that even the HUD basically breaks when the canopy goes. Trying to approach a tiny spaceport with no time to spare and a borked HUD is a thrilling experience.

Yeah it really is, and I've even had that movie cliché a couple where the timer had a couple of seconds left on it when finally entering a space statoon. Very thrilling and satisfying.

The Viper Mk IV used to be a good hull tank, which meant putting in as many hull reenforcement components as you could fit. I'm not sure if they did anything to balance hull tanking though.

Is chaff or other countermeasures useful against hostile NPCs?

Yes. Don't worry about any defensive tiny hardpoint module other than Chaff for now.

Just did the training missions, can now safely launch and dock a sidewinder.

Any tips on which first ship to go for?

First ship to go for is the first ship you can afford that isn't a Sidewinder.

I got a Cobra woohoo! Glad to be out of that paper airplane.

Any loadout suggestions? Going to be trading and bounty hunting for now.

Get whatever you can afford. Usually the first things you want to max out on a ship are the Power Plant, Thrusters and FSD. For offense, put basic Pulses and multicannons on it at first, then diversify as you get more money in the bank.

Notes:

- Always expect get the D sensor and D lifesupport, on every ship forever. There are some exceptions with ships that have more power than they need, but this is the general rule. D modules are lighter than the others and draw the least power; critical for power-limited ships. Higher grade sensors are generally useless and higher grade life support is convenient but usually unnecessary.

- For future reference, use this website ( https://coriolis.io ) and don't buy a new ship until you can afford the minimum acceptable build on it (usually D-grade core internals).

- Cobra can be mostly D rated and really strong. I'd suggest this build as the early goal:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...00m0303B32pv66e.Iw1-kA==.MwBj5BGbJAmMkAsKg===

In this example, I would have recommended not buying a Cobra until you had about $1.4 million banked. Buying a ship that you can't afford to upgrade any internals on (just the bare bones ship) is usually going to be a worse experience than whatever you just left behind. Weak shields, bigger as a target, bigger losses should you die.

Use that online tool to figure out not only what you want in your next build or ship, but also to know what your financial target is in order to do so. Plan, folks!

Lastly,

- Don't buy what you can't cover with insurance. Players have quit the game because they bought a ship, flew it into the side of an asteroid without enough money to cover their rebuy and had to start over again in a Sidewinder. People that played for months and saved enough to buy Anacondas had to start over from Sidewinders. Don't be that guy. Check the insurance costs and use that online tool (it tells you all of that before you even buy the ship). Don't get your ship repossessed by making a series of mistakes that starts with flying without insurance coverage.

DrBo42

Lastly,

- Don't buy what you can't cover with insurance. Players have quit the game because they bought a ship, flew it into the side of an asteroid without enough money to cover their rebuy and had to start over again in a Sidewinder. People that played for months and saved enough to buy Anacondas had to start over from Sidewinders. Don't be that guy. Check the insurance costs and use that online tool (it tells you all of that before you even buy the ship). Don't get your ship repossessed by making a series of mistakes that starts with flying without insurance coverage.

This is pretty important, haha. I traded and upgraded very early on up to a type 7 and 16 million or so assets and lost it all from being rammed in a star port mailslot with no insurance.

Bubba77

Yes. Don't worry about any defensive tiny hardpoint module other than Chaff for now.

First ship to go for is the first ship you can afford that isn't a Sidewinder.

Get whatever you can afford. Usually the first things you want to max out on a ship are the Power Plant, Thrusters and FSD. For offense, put basic Pulses and multicannons on it at first, then diversify as you get more money in the bank.

Notes:

- Always expect get the D sensor and D lifesupport, on every ship forever. There are some exceptions with ships that have more power than they need, but this is the general rule. D modules are lighter than the others and draw the least power; critical for power-limited ships. Higher grade sensors are generally useless and higher grade life support is convenient but usually unnecessary.

- For future reference, use this website ( https://coriolis.io ) and don't buy a new ship until you can afford the minimum acceptable build on it (usually D-grade core internals).

- Cobra can be mostly D rated and really strong. I'd suggest this build as the early goal:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...00m0303B32pv66e.Iw1-kA==.MwBj5BGbJAmMkAsKg===

In this example, I would have recommended not buying a Cobra until you had about $1.4 million banked. Buying a ship that you can't afford to upgrade any internals on (just the bare bones ship) is usually going to be a worse experience than whatever you just left behind. Weak shields, bigger as a target, bigger losses should you die.

Use that online tool to figure out not only what you want in your next build or ship, but also to know what your financial target is in order to do so. Plan, folks!

Lastly,

Thanks for all that info. Question. Why only chaffs? Why not point defense? Also, do these countermeasures trigger automatically when part of the a tive fire group? Or do i need to set them to a button?

I havent gotten a fuel scoop on my new cobra because it had such a large tank. Mistake?

Lastly. Engineer upgrades. Is this a late game thing? How and where do I get this stuff?

My cobra now is a mix of cargo freighter, fighter, mining vessel. Should I be specializing more?

Top Bottom