• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

That can be said for any game really.

True, which is to say that a "good value" is only as good as the enjoyment somebody will get out it. You admitted the game wasn't for everybody, but then went on to say it was a better value than most others. However it's only a better value if you liked it in the first place. Thus the statements being somewhat at odds with each-other. A game can't be an objectively better value than another one if the value is determined by subjective qualities. The only time it would be mostly objective is when comparing games in the same genre. Unfortunately in the case of Elite, there aren't enough similar games to even begin comparing.

We shouldn't counter hyperbolic derogatory statements towards the game with exaggerated defenses of the game.

This was a harmless example, mind you. I just decided to highlight it because I happened to notice it, and because you admit the game isn't for everybody. So even with a rational outlook, it's still possible to make irrational defenses of things we like. I'm no doubt guilty of doing similar things.

DrBo42

Bah, no footage or info, no lifetime pass or pre-purchase yet. I want more details!

I thought for sure they'd use the announcement trailer as a springboard for an actual look on their streams/on the floor but nothing. Guess we're just going to get some ships before Horizons launches? I mean...ships are the least of our needs right now. How about some dynamic missions or content for wings? I imagine that's a great deal easier than landings.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at FD. From the outside their decision making and priorities are really baffling at times (most of the time).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at FD. From the outside their decision making and priorities are really baffling at times (most of the time).

Their decisions are only baffling because we don't have any kind of roadmap to put them into perspective. I'm certain if we knew their long term plans then a lot of what they do would make more sense. We wouldn't even need dates for the content, just an idea of what is coming and roughly in what order.

It's hard to invest large amounts of money into something without having any real idea of what content you are getting for it. A little faith and upfront communication from FDev would truly go a long, long way in boosting their sales, customer morale, and generating buzz and revenue. The vagueness is only hurting and not helping them.

That said I feel they are moving in a good direction long term, I just wish I had more of an idea what that direction actually was....

SmartBase

Their decisions are only baffling because we don't have any kind of roadmap to put them into perspective. I'm certain if we knew their long term plans then a lot of what they do would make more sense. We wouldn't even need dates for the content, just an idea of what is coming and roughly in what order.

It's hard to invest large amounts of money into something without having any real idea of what content you are getting for it. A little faith and upfront communication from FDev would truly go a long, long way in boosting their sales, customer morale, and generating buzz and revenue. The vagueness is only hurting and not helping them.

That said I feel they are moving in a good direction long term, I just wish I had more of an idea what that direction actually was....

Detailed roadmaps and the like are the kind of information only their investors would usually have.

We see developers over promise and shoot themselves in the foot all the time.

It doesn't surprise me that they would be apprehensive to reveal their plans, especially if for some reason they couldn't deliver on it.

I think they've released a fair amount of details for the future already, we knew about airless planetary landings, we know about eva and station walking, plans to flesh out earth like planets and gas giants, wildlife, flora...

The things we don't really know about (to my knowledge) are their plans to flesh out the gameplay and make the universe feel more engaging, with more meaningful player interaction.

StonedRider

Wow!
I was not impressed with Powerplay update, but this brings the game to another level.
I did not fly my Asp last four months because of Witcher 3 and Cities: Skylines, but after reading all this news I'm tempted to unpack my Rhino and kick some pirats arses while dreaming about planetary landing.
Horizons preordered.

LeBart

True, which is to say that a "good value" is only as good as the enjoyment somebody will get out it. You admitted the game wasn't for everybody, but then went on to say it was a better value than most others. However it's only a better value if you liked it in the first place. Thus the statements being somewhat at odds with each-other. A game can't be an objectively better value than another one if the value is determined by subjective qualities. The only time it would be mostly objective is when comparing games in the same genre. Unfortunately in the case of Elite, there aren't enough similar games to even begin comparing.

We shouldn't counter hyperbolic derogatory statements towards the game with exaggerated defenses of the game.

This was a harmless example, mind you. I just decided to highlight it because I happened to notice it, and because you admit the game isn't for everybody. So even with a rational outlook, it's still possible to make irrational defenses of things we like. I'm no doubt guilty of doing similar things.
You're 100% right.
I was thinking of all the $60 single player games that you complete in 6 hours and never touch again, but I guess that's not an entirely fair comparison.

Pomerlaw

The topic on Horizons scared me. Someone saying that he was bored of Elite with a Rift in 3h of gameplay, while it's probably true, it makes me sad.

I think 3h of Elite was just my first session in it with the DK2 on my head...

Yep it is still empty, but if the feeling of immersion and flight model are top notch. They got the basics right, meaning that actually flying the ship feels amazing. (I'm aware some people hate the blue zone/slow yaw in Elite, personnaly I think it makes the whole thing better, especially dogfight).

If you are the kind of gamer who needs a story, precise objectives and guideline, than it may not be the game for you yet.

Burny

Any station selling foresight? :p

I was driven from my chosen hunting ground (Bacon City :D ) a while ago, by accidentally collecting a bounty when I seemingly blew up someone? The game really, really should display the exact crime that resulted in the bounty btw. instead of having all authorities yell "Die scum!" at you and open fire. Ended up in another system with a nicely provfitable CZ, where I finally saved up for the Vulture, which I bought there. Slapped class 3 pulse lasers on it, but still had to save up for a better FSD, because I was stuck in the system due to the Vulture's poor jump range.

Next time I logged in, the CZ was gone and I didn't have any means to earn the money with either my Viper or Vulture in the system. As the bounty had expired by then, I travelled back to Bacon city with my Viper, where I earned the required credits for the FSD upgrade, flew a transit hauler to the other system and... discovered that the previously available required class 5 FSD was out of stock there. >.<

In the end, I bit the bullet and sold all weapons and unnecessary modules from the Vulture in order to temporarily extend its jump range so it could reach the next system.

Pomerlaw

More HORIZONS details :

Some small snippets from the live stream.
3 Planet types - Ice, Rock and Metallic.
Some planets will change from their current variant, due to more data added to the procedural generation.
4-6 tons carrying capacity on the initial Scarab SRV. More SRV's to be added with different attributes and specific roles.
Ground and Air teams working together to assault bases, ships may be required to destroy the shield generator. Then the SRV's can go in and destroy defences etc.
Different SRV handling depending on planet type.
Your ship will take off and fly around in orbit when you drive the buggy far enough away from your ship. AI controlled (for now). Apparently getting back to your ship will be 'interesting'.
More to update if I hear more from the stream.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3g4rnj/elite_dangerous_horizon_details/

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
It's great! Any specific concerns you have?

It runs absolutely fantastic... Especially after the most recent patch.

It's my favorite game to play right now on ye olde xbone

Awesome! Nothing specific, I just thought it was a pc-centric game and I wasn't sure if the console version had any issues. It looks so cool and I don't have a nice gaming pc. I'm probably going to check this out

Awesome! Nothing specific, I just thought it was a pc-centric game and I wasn't sure if the console version had any issues. It looks so cool and I don't have a nice gaming pc. I'm probably going to check this out
It's very front loaded in the learning curve... But if you give it some time and patience, you can master the controls to an enjoyable degree. They somehow packed all of the various macros and controls into the Xbone controller... Quite impressive really. Once you get used to it (and it can be customized to your liking), it's great.

I don't have a gaming PC either so I was ecstatic when they announced this for console... And it does not disappoint.

My gt: Wesley S Shark. Feel free to add me or send me a party chat request if you see me on and playing Elite. I'm really far away right now on an exploration trip, so I can't wing, but I can verbally help or answer questions if needed.

MedIC86

Are the new space stations in already? i kinda stopped playing after the patch with the 'bar' type space stations. They said they would add procedural generated stations over time, anything of that yet? or still the same pyramid space stations like since launch?

Burny

Are the new space stations in already? i kinda stopped playing after the patch with the 'bar' type space stations. They said they would add procedural generated stations over time, anything of that yet? or still the same pyramid space stations like since launch?

I guess you mean the Coriolis stations? Here's an overview of the implemented stations from the Elite Wiki.

As for procedural generation, all the stations have slight variations in colour scheme and maybe (?) internal layout, but they're all of those basic types.

I was considering getting this on the Xbox One but I'd much prefer to wait & get the steam version so I can get a HOTAS and play this how it was meant to be played. :p

Zalusithix

They didn't show a new HOTAS at Gamesom for Star Citizen, did they?

They showed 4 different HOTAS units for SC. Three of which are thematic variations of the same modular kit. One of which is a high end unit.
CL1Ee0SVAAAc66Y.png:orig

qvHjnVP.png

CL1EoKgUAAAwMHb.png:orig

Does anyone know where I can find the Diamondback Explorer? I checked Wolf 406-Hamilton Gateway the other day and it wasn't there. Do ships rotate in and out of availability?

DrBo42

Does anyone know where I can find the Diamondback Explorer? I checked Wolf 406-Hamilton Gateway the other day and it wasn't there. Do ships rotate in and out of availability?

Certain stations carry certain ships. Your best bet is a high population High Tech system.

Certain stations carry certain ships. Your best bet is a high population High Tech system.

Aren't Li Yong-Rui's control systems supposed to carry the Diamondback? Or is that just the scout variant?

I bought one not long ago at a High Tech system near Sol but I can't remember which one it was.
Cheers all. I'll have to do some station shopping then when I get back- currently on the far side of Barnard's Loop. I'll definitely have enough cash to drop on the DBE once I turn this data in- plan to explore another day or two before I turn around.

owlbeak

Cheers all. I'll have to do some station shopping then when I get back- currently on the far side of Barnard's Loop. I'll definitely have enough cash to drop on the DBE once I turn this data in- plan to explore another day or two before I turn around.
Good luck! I just picked one up tonight for my exploring ship. Took it for a test fly and it's great!

Nice! :D Congrats! It's a pretty cool ship. I'm really enjoying it. I threw a bunch of money into it for the ADS, DSS, and other addons so I can really get the most out of it. All it needs now is a new paint job. :)
Lovely shots!

I didn't have enough cash to spend on the ADS after buying the ship and modules. My next trip will be for funding for the ADS- but my IDS should help out a lot in that regard for now.

MNC

Saw the game got cheaper on steam. Can someone explain to me how The online VS single player works?

As in, do I use the same ship and stats and weapons in both modes? Are there multiple character slots?

Saw the game got cheaper on steam. Can someone explain to me how The online VS single player works?

As in, do I use the same ship and stats and weapons in both modes? Are there multiple character slots?

It's the same universe, but one has other players throughout (Open), one is just you alone with all NPCs (Solo), and the other is a private lobby.

All three are synchronous, though, and you can swap between them without losing progress or status. It's essentially the same save file, and you can pick and choose at will which "dimension" you want to play in.

It's a moot point now that you found one, wesleyshark, but I forgot to mention I was in UGP 619, Gromov City.

Cheers anyway!

Woah... have they been updating their nebula rendering? I haven't come across anything in-game that looks near that good.
I'm not sure... And this isn't a screen cap either haha. I took a photo of my TV with my Canon T2i, and then cropped it- worked well enough, but it looks even more fantastic on my TV lol. Can't share screenshots for this game on Xbox yet.... Ugh. September can't get here fast enough. :p

LeBart

I'm not sure... And this isn't a screen cap either haha. I took a photo of my TV with my Canon T2i, and then cropped it- worked well enough, but it looks even more fantastic on my TV lol. Can't share screenshots for this game on Xbox yet.... Ugh. September can't get here fast enough. :p
Which nebula is this ?

Jedi2016

Hm.. might have to make a trip out that way. I've been concentrating mostly on combat recently (for the money), but my Asp is still fueled up and ready to go. :)

More Horizons info (via reddit), some really cool stuff:

Planetary Information
-Trying to land on a planet without Horizons or the correct equipment will result in an emergency drop.
-All scenery is procedurally generated. No tiling of structures. The artists 'scultp' the code to avoid there being unlikely scenery that would look really out of place.
-The Earth's Moon (along with other planets/moons) will be permit-locked

Installations & Discoveries & Missions
-There has been talk by Ed Symons (Elite Producer) of 'hacking' been an option to bring down a surface stations shields. Not confirmed, just discussed between the team.
-Missions will be connected between star ports and the planets.
-There are different designs of bases on planets. Large ones will have landing pads, smaller outposts may be more orientated around missions.

Surface Reconnaissance Vehicle (SRV)
-Entering your buggy will be a 'fade to black' transition scene. No Spacelegs™ at this time.
-Driving the SRV far enough away from your ship will cause your ship to take off and enter a low orbit supercruise of the planet or moon. This will be AI controlled 'for now' and would make the ship impossible to hunt down. It disables all unnecessary modules to reduce its heat signature to practically zero, thereby preventing detection.
-Requesting that your ship returns to the planet will result in it flying to your location on the surface.
-Your ship will appear on your SRV radar if you are close enough to it.
-When you die on the planet you will return to your ship.

Future Horizons Updates
-The Unidentified Artefact will be woven into the narrative of the Horizons season. Confirmed again on the 9th August Twitch stream that there is an answer to what it is about and it is not a wild goose chase.
-Ed Symons said there is something else he is working on that he is more excited about than planetary landings, but that obviously he can't talk about it. It would appear there's still plenty of surprises within the Horizons season.
-The reason for the cockpit panel between your pilot's legs will be revealed sometime during Horizons.

Core Game Improvements
-Core missions are being enhanced for the basic game. This will move beyond basic A>B structure and will include 'new interactions' and multiple staged missions. (Source: Sandro here at 1hr 35 mins onwards). Further confirmation on the 9th August Twitch stream that there would be chained missions.
-There has been discussion at FDev about player built structures, but that is no guarantee they will be in the game at some point.

Finally, that crotch monitor will be put to use!

Curious what our moon will look like in the 34th century, haha.

REALLY curious what the hell is happening with Thargoids. Seems like they have a plan in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom