• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I checked out Slopey's but all the stations nearby that allowed them into the station didn't have any to sell. I ended up abandoning the mission :( hurt my Fed rank quite a bit, but I got it back up to where it was prior. Won't be taking any trade missions anymore. :)

You wouldn't be looking for places that they're not illegal, but places they're actually sold.

Zalusithix

I thought you couldn't buy prohibited commodities at stations?

This is why I'm not a trader :)

You can't buy prohibited goods (typically), but just because something isn't illegal, doesn't mean a station actually carries them for sale. In trading tools such as Thrudd's you'd have to search for places to actually buy the item, not places where you could sell them. I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where something is sold out in multiple nearby locations that actually stock it.

I've bought a flightstick (Saitek X55 RHINO), I don't have Elite Dangerous yet. Is there anything one should know about when starting the game using a flightstick. Any tipps and tricks or dos and donts?

Burny

I've bought a flightstick (Saitek X55 RHINO), I don't have Elite Dangerous yet. Is there anything one should know about when starting the game using a flightstick. Any tipps and tricks or dos and donts?

Take the time to configure/learn the controls, even if the configuration screen is an impractical long(-ass) list. If you're lazy, google for a preconfigured setup and go from there. Save your configuration file - under Windows it's located somewhere in the User/Appdata/Local/Frontier Development/.../Bindings folder (google that as well)!

Take the time to configure/learn the controls, even if the configuration screen is an impractical long(-ass) list. If you're lazy, google for a preconfigured setup and go from there. Save your configuration file - under Windows it's located somewhere in the User/Appdata/Local/Frontier Development/.../Bindings folder (google that as well)!

Cool, thanks.
I assume I could place a downloaded file in the same place to use another players config.?

owlbeak

You can't buy prohibited goods (typically), but just because something isn't illegal, doesn't mean a station actually carries them for sale. In trading tools such as Thrudd's you'd have to search for places to actually buy the item, not places where you could sell them. I don't think I've ever encountered a situation where something is sold out in multiple nearby locations that actually stock it.
Well, all of the systems I was near were Federation systems, so Narcotics were outlawed. Some stations showed Narcotics on the commodities market but none were available to buy, you could only sell to the station. Which I'm not sure how that works, since you'd have to sell them on the black market anyway; not just through the commodities market. Who the hell knows. Again, that's why I earn my money from combat and exploring, not trading. :D

Zalusithix

Well, all of the systems I was near were Federation systems, so Narcotics were outlawed. Some stations showed Narcotics on the commodities market but none were available to buy, you could only sell to the station. Which I'm not sure how that works, since you'd have to sell them on the black market anyway; not just through the commodities market. Who the hell knows. Again, that's why I earn my money from combat and exploring, not trading. :D

Compared to the faction hit you likely took for abandoning the quest, jumping a few times to a station that did sell them would have probably been a worthwhile use of time. Also, as far as cargo missions go, there's a different icon used for ones where they provide you goods to deliver vs ones where they want you to procure goods for delivery. Like everything else in the game, pretty much nothing is really explained. Live and learn by trial and error.

DrBo42

I don't see how that would be the case. The beta may not be on Steam to install but you can always install their normal client and run it from there.

Yeah. It's all through the account/launcher. Steam has nothing to do with that except providing somewhere for the files to live/Steam functionality on top.

Pomerlaw

ed_sunrise.jpg

So how is this game? I've always been a huge fan of space sims. Game sounds partially grind heavy, but I don't mind that at all. Still on the fence, but I've been in dire need of a new game just to sink a bunch of time into.

Shifty76

So how is this game? I've always been a huge fan of space sims. Game sounds partially grind heavy, but I don't mind that at all. Still on the fence, but I've been in dire need of a new game just to sink a bunch of time into.

I'd say the fact that this thread is 200+ pages long is a good indicator ;)

Recommend googling the ars technica review of it and reading that. Still the most balanced review I've read, and the game has improved since then.

I'd say the fact that this thread is 200+ pages long is a good indicator ;)

Recommend googling the ars technica review of it and reading that. Still the most balanced review I've read, and the game has improved since then.

I still might just get it. Is it better on console or PC?

Reckheim

So I was having a really bad day exploring today, i.e 2 hours or so without finding anything interesting, frozen world galore.

But my luck turned to good pretty quick, first i find a really interesting water world orbiting 2 suns, see below for an image.

16FDAB4A90F105927107AD21151C8673F31C08EE

Now thats not even the best part, the very next system I find two earth likes orbiting each other. Took a couple of pictures. (also a water world in the same system).

5F090E144D1986003AE950E00EF1E21F14CD03DB

E895D343EF197029A09BC38F9E88FDD6000DBC15

5D99927C4CE355AA9F1158BD21259E9EF7210202

DrBo42

Caved and bought the game. Super pumped to try it out!

Any tips or tricks I need to know?

Don't fly a ship you can't insure. Max maneuverability is the blue portion of the throttle indicator. Enter/exit stations on the side with the green light. For the cube type coriolis stations the entrance is the face rotating counter clockwise. Look into Voice Attack to offload functions to voice command. Have fun.

Going through tutorials right now. SO NOT used to roll being binded to my mouse. Been a while since I've played a sim like this. Liking what I'm seeing so far though.

Shifty76

Going through tutorials right now. SO NOT used to roll being binded to my mouse. Been a while since I've played a sim like this. Liking what I'm seeing so far though.

You'll probably want to bind that to keys and yaw to mouse. Yaw isn't as useful as pitch & roll.

Also, don't be tempted by the high paying assassination missions early on. There's a reason they pay so much and it's not because the target is flying a sidewinder.

Burny

Also, don't be tempted by the high paying assassination missions early on. There's a reason they pay so much and it's not because the target is flying a sidewinder.

I'd go so far as to say: don't be tempted by any missions early on. They're mostly boring, poorly paid courier/kill x affairs.

The quickest way to earn a bit of money early on is a bit of bounty hunting at a navigation signal or RES.

DrBo42

Any huge tips for fighting? I'm doing the convoy tutorial, but I'm just getting destroyed.
In a sidewinder? Not sure what you're flying against in that but your turning ability is your best tool, trying to get in and stay behind a target is pretty key. That and managing your pips/power distribution. Full pips to engines and 2 to shield during maneuvers and 3 to systems when you're taking a beating for shield power. Boost to evade etc.

Shifty76

I'd go so far as to say: don't be tempted by any missions early on. They're mostly boring, poorly paid courier/kill x affairs.

The quickest way to earn a bit of money early on is a bit of bounty hunting at a navigation signal or RES.

Pretty much. Well...except the smuggling missions. They pay damn well when starting out. One or two of them and he's already out of the sidey.

I am so confused and lost but loving every second of it so far. I have no idea where to find these NAV beacons or a RES. But i did finish a bounty by investigating a signal source.

Burny

I am so confused and lost but loving every second of it so far. I have no idea where to find these NAV beacons or a RES. But i did finish a bounty by investigating a signal source.

Nav Beacon:
Near the main sun of the system. If you look at your contacts panel in supercruise, you can select planets/suns/stations as targets. There'll be a nav beacon as well, if the system has one.

RES: Resource Extraction Site
If a planet has rings (that are not ice), there's a chance it'll have a RES. When approaching the planet you'll see them just like signal sources in the rings. Then you can target them and drop from supercruise into them.

Edit: Oh and never open fire on anyone when bounty hunting, until your ship has finished its basic scan after you target them and have them straight ahead of you. You have to see if they've got the "wanted" tag. System security will magically know that you didn't scan them properly and you'll receive a bounty resulting in any security ships shooting you on sight.

DrBo42

Nav beacons will be near the warp in point around the star. RES sites are simply extraction sites placed in planetary rings like Saturn's. The rocks that make up the rings are being mined, pirates attempt to steal the mined resources, they end up dead and you are hopefully well paid. The circleeee offff lifeeeee.

Faith

Damn it, I miss this game so much :(

Why did I have to sell my Oculus Rift DK2? Well, now (after trying out the CV1) I have to wait several months till I will sit in my Python again.

MNC

I´m still a bit pissed at Frontier but for the pricing but waiting 5 months to save 20 bucks is far too much off. And now I´m at work. And I want to play. FUCK. Ramblings.

Burny

I´m still a bit pissed at Frontier but for the pricing but waiting 5 months to save 20 bucks is far too much off. And now I´m at work. And I want to play. FUCK. Ramblings.

The price for those having bought the game during "season 1" is steep. No question. The game still has issues and lacks a lot of content, no doubt about that either. And now additions to the game that'll remedy that a bit will be behind a "season pay wall".

The way I see it though, is I'd rather throw money at a small dev doing something unique that I love, rather than spending 60 bucks on the next big AAA release (when I can get the "GOTY version" with all the DLC jazz a year later at half the price, if I'm so inclined). There's enough yearly 12 hour rollercoaster rides with high production values or epic RPGs out there. There aren't enough online space games with direct ship piloting and a persistent galaxy. :) I want to see Elite grow and more of its potential eventually realized. So I consider the money recently spend on the lifetime pass a good investment. Same with Star Citizen, although my initial hype for that has fallen off a cliff, but I've backed more than enough and will be back once its closer to release.

As for expanding the game's features, I've followed the discussion about player group/guild features on the official Frontier forums a bit. There's so much ridiculous opposition to such features, yet FDev is seemingly going to expand into that territory somewhat. The whining on the official forums will be unbearable for a couple of weeks, once such features are introduced. >.<

webkatt

When this hits retail, how much will it cost on XBone?

I assume $59.99 as it says in first post? Does it include any bonuses like the Merc edition?

Burny

When this hits retail, how much will it cost?

XBone or PC? Do we know, if it'll ever hit retail as other games do?

There is a boxed version on FDev's online store at least. Seeing as the game is evolving relatively quickly though, the installation files are probably long out of date even today, meaning you'll be downloading all the major updates before you can play anyway.

Effect

Did they move where "Wanted" enemies spawn? They no longer show up around stars for me. Just a lot of different factions for that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom