• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. You will have to buy the expansion separately once it releases, whereas if you wait, you get both the main game and expansion for the same price

You know, I was seconds away from splurging myself, thanks.

Any idea when they will be united under the same price?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well Horizons hits this holiday season at some point. You can actually buy it now on Frontier's store, but I have no clue whether it allows you into the base game right away.

It doesn't. If you buy Horizons now you can't play at all until Horizons launches at about Christmas time. That said, the $60 price for Horizons (which includes the main game) is one hell of a deal, a far better deal than us early adopters are getting.

MNC

Ugh, I just bought the base game for 37€. I might have to get a refund now. Think Steam will honor it since it uses an external account?

Then again, will the expansion be full priced if it includes the main game?

Hmm. 37€ main + 37€ exp VS 49€ main + exp. Pretty fucking dumb

DrBo42

Y'all shoulda jumped on that $35 exploit!

It's closer to what the Season SHOULD be priced at. $30-35 for loyalty members, $45 standalone.

Not all of us are good with willingly committing fraud via a currency workaround, Anton. FD is working hard to charge you exorbitant amounts for content at its most basic level.

Lime

Y'all shoulda jumped on that $35 exploit!

It's closer to what the Season SHOULD be priced at. $30-35 for loyalty members, $45 standalone.

That's still just the season/Horizon only - not much difference between $35 and £30. I wished I had bought the Lifetime pass last year, especially with the way original buyers get screwed over by the pricing set.

Not all of us are good with willingly committing fraud via a currency workaround, Anton. FD is working hard to charge you exorbitant amounts for content at its most basic level.

I gave up life by the law when I defected from Hudson. That's REAL role-playing, right there.

That's still just the season/Horizon only - not much difference between $35 and £30. I wished I had bought the Lifetime pass last year, especially with the way original buyers get screwed over by the pricing set.

What did I miss?

Actually, it affected everything in their store, not just Horizons. Lifetime pass, normally $195, was $135 (kinda mad I didn't grab that) and I bought the $12 Chrome Vulture skin for $8.

Mengy

I would have been okay with using the exploit to buy it at a discount, I would have gotten the season pass. Unfortunately I was at work and by the time I got home it was fixed. :(

Got super excited.... Thought I had found my first Earth-like.... Flew in to scan it.... Nope. Just a water planet with A LOT of clouds and weather lol.

Reckheim

Got super excited.... Thought I had found my first Earth-like.... Flew in to scan it.... Nope. Just a water planet with A LOT of clouds and weather lol.

Happens a lot, I spend about 60 hours doing exploration and only found one earth like. Still my favorite part of the game tho, lots to see out there.

Shifty76

Bought myself a DB scout and have been trying out that new stealth setup that's all the rage. Pretty fun, though would be better in a wing.

Killed a CMDR in a python in a cz and also a FDL who interdicted me in Hudson space. Funny how fast they turn to run once shields go bye bye after a couple of railgun volleys followed by a ram.

Headed to Alliance space to turn in some bounties and was interdicted by a harmless CMDR in a cobra, presumably for my bounty after I killed some supply ships. That was cute.

Please elaborate. :3
No shields and lots of heat sink launchers. Mirror armor. Rail guns. Add heat seeker missile pod if you like, but at least 2 rails. Run in perma Silent Running. Basically undetectable outside of a visual id and most pilots are running gimbaled. Easy money.

Shifty76

Please elaborate. :3
DB scout runs exceptionally cool, even under silent running.

When you see an enemy, activate silent running and all they see is an unresolved signal blip on their radar. You're untargetable until you get within around 500m.

At that range you "decloak" and open up with everything you have (I like 4 x railgun) and boost toward them for a ram (load up with armour upgrades and mirrored armour for more ramminess)

That's usually enough to drop their shields, at which point most enemies turn and run.

It's a nice change of pace from the current scb meta as you have to be much more aware of what's going on.

More info and a vid here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159841&page=4

DrBo42

DB scout runs exceptionally cool, even under silent running.

When you see an enemy, activate silent running and all they see is an unresolved signal blip on their radar. You're untargetable until you get within around 500m.

At that range you "decloak" and open up with everything you have (I like 4 x railgun) and boost toward them for a ram (load up with armour upgrades and mirrored armour for more ramminess)

That's usually enough to drop their shields, at which point most enemies turn and run.

It's a nice change of pace from the current scb meta as you have to be much more aware of what's going on.

More info and a vid here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159841&page=4

That's pretty dirty. Inventive though, considering how shite silent running is for 99% of ships.

Zalusithix

That's pretty dirty. Inventive though, considering how shite silent running is for 99% of ships.

Heh, it's kind of amusing since the big ships should be able to run for a long time while silent as they have more mass to sink the heat in. Speaking of sinks.. There's an idea for an internal module - special heatsinks that allow your ship to dump excess heat into them while in silent mode. Effectively would extend the time you could spend in silent running.

DrBo42

Heh, it's kind of amusing since the big ships should be able to run for a long time while silent as they have more mass to sink the heat in. Speaking of sinks.. There's an idea for an internal module - special heatsinks that allow your ship to dump excess heat into them while in silent mode. Effectively would extend the time you could spend in silent running.

That's great. Would be nice to do some proper stealthy smuggling with frosty cockpit glass rather than boosting into stations etc. They definitely need to do more in that area.

Zalusithix

That's great. Would be nice to do some proper stealthy smuggling with frosty cockpit glass rather than boosting into stations etc. They definitely need to do more in that area.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. It could change the entire dynamic of the game even with combat. Right now it's essentially a load up on SCBs and never drop shields. What if as an alternative, instead of all SCBs you ran sinks - no shield generator even? Don't even come out of silent running while in combat - sink the actual weapon heat in addition to standard ship heat. Keep the sink launchers functioning as is so you can still dump all the heat at once. (Creates a synergy between the two.) You'd have stealth builds a plenty to counter the shield builds.

Shifty76

The more I think about it, the more I like it. It could change the entire dynamic of the game even with combat. Right now it's essentially a load up on SCBs and never drop shields. What if as an alternative, instead of all SCBs you ran sinks - no shield generator even? Don't even come out of silent running while in combat - sink the actual weapon heat in addition to standard ship heat. Keep the sink launchers functioning as is so you can still dump all the heat at once. (Creates a synergy between the two.) You'd have stealth builds a plenty to counter the shield builds.

That's basically what the stealth builds are now. No shields, so no need for boosters/scbs, meaning lots of power available for heavy weapons. Load up on armour and you can hull tank and ram very effectively. No power needed for sys either, so weapons and engines get a nice boost.

Zalusithix

That's basically what the stealth builds are now. No shields, so no need for boosters/scbs, meaning lots of power available for heavy weapons. Load up on armour and you can hull tank and ram very effectively. No power needed for sys either, so weapons and engines get a nice boost.

Yeah, but how many ships right now are stealth viable?

Edit: And right now, you can't very well stay completely dark for very long while using weapons. They generate way too much heat. Allowing that heat to be temporarily sunk would allow you to stay more or less invisible while sniping away - for a time at least.

Shifty76

Yeah, but how many ships right now are stealth viable?

Edit: And right now, you can't very well stay completely dark for very long while using weapons. They generate way too much heat. Allowing that heat to be temporarily sunk would allow you to stay more or less invisible while sniping away - for a time at least.

Just the two diamondbacks from what I've seen.
Cobra and viper run too hot, and anything smaller lacks firepower.

Mengy

It's an interesting thought even when applied to a DBE, Diamondback Explorer, even if you are just out exploring and trying to avoid all combat.

Currently my DBE runs with shields and cell banks, and when I get interdicted I either blow it up if it's something small or run away and jump if it's more than I can handle. If it's a clipper then I'm in trouble because they are too fast for me to outrun, so I have to jump ASAP. HOWEVER, if I was running shieldless and stocked up on heat sinks, would I even need to run? Even in a DBE? Does this work against NPC's too?

Interesting concept, I've only ever marginally used silent running mode before....

DrBo42

Man so many worlds I think will be Earth-like are either metal rich or water worlds. Getting real tired of being teased. Every Earth-like I've come of cross has been discovered already.

DrBo42

For those of you currently exploring here's a sheet I put together showing likely terraforming candidate distance for each star type: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lLG_n34P4jKZVJv4ITX7C9M/edit?usp=docslist_api

Feel free to add in any missing ones. Just input surface temp and solar radius on the right side and it'll calculate the rest. It's pretty damn accurate.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what any of that is. I just honk my horn, go into system view and chase down something blueish with clouds. Bam!

Shifty76

I'll be honest, I have no idea what any of that is. I just honk my horn, go into system view and chase down something blueish with clouds. Bam!

Look up the star type then go to either system map to find distance in au or nav panel to find it in ls.

Any planets falling between the inner and outer ranges listed in the spreadsheet could be terraforming candidates if they are a high metal content.

TCs are worth just as much as water worlds, sometimes more, but are way more common.

Wreav

Banned
So the X52 drivers are totally borked in Win10. ED crashes when I try to remap to the stick, and I have to hard reboot the PC after pulling the usb cable out. A quick check of the forums shows that it's a common problem.

Hope they come up with something quick.

Zalusithix

So the X52 drivers are totally borked in Win10. ED crashes when I try to remap to the stick, and I have to hard reboot the PC after pulling the usb cable out. A quick check of the forums shows that it's a common problem.

Hope they come up with something quick.

Had to hard reboot the computer when I removed the Saitek pedals the other day. Probably not be related though.

HelloMeow

Bought myself a DB scout and have been trying out that new stealth setup that's all the rage. Pretty fun, though would be better in a wing.

Killed a CMDR in a python in a cz and also a FDL who interdicted me in Hudson space. Funny how fast they turn to run once shields go bye bye after a couple of railgun volleys followed by a ram.

Headed to Alliance space to turn in some bounties and was interdicted by a harmless CMDR in a cobra, presumably for my bounty after I killed some supply ships. That was cute.

That's funny, I got attacked by two stealth scouts a couple of days ago. I was in a python loaded with chaff and scbs. I could tank them easily. It doesn't really matter if you run gimbaled or fixed, since you can't lock on it's basically the same.
It was difficult to hit them with the slow turning python. While fixed would do more damage, they did have to turn of silent running every once in a while and that's when my gimbaled weapons came in handy. It didn't end well for them.

http://gfycat.com/DistortedGrandioseArgali

Hey guys, I bought the ED Horizons thing from the Frontier store but I bought the base game from Steam. Will it matter? Should I ask for a refund and buy it from Steam instead?

owlbeak

Question!

Took a mission requiring me to deliver Narcotics to a station. I never take on delivery missions, but was on my way to this system anyway so I figured what the hell. Should I expect the narcotics to show up in a USS or will I actually have to find them to buy? The station I took the mission from didn't have them and I've went to a couple stations nearby that didn't prohibit narcotics, but no one is selling any.

Edit: Feel like I should say, I checked my cargo hold as well and it did not automatically place the items in there.

Mengy

Apparently you can also click on planets in system view and listen to them. Earthlikes allegedly sound like birds chirping.

Yep, I do this. Listening to the universe and shit, man....

I find it's far easier just to look at the planets in the system view and pick scan targets from there. Once you know what to look for visually it becomes second nature and rather quick.

Burny

Question!

Took a mission requiring me to deliver Narcotics to a station. I never take on delivery missions, but was on my way to this system anyway so I figured what the hell. Should I expect the narcotics to show up in a USS or will I actually have to find them to buy? The station I took the mission from didn't have them and I've went to a couple stations nearby that didn't prohibit narcotics, but no one is selling any.

Edit: Feel like I should say, I checked my cargo hold as well and it did not automatically place the items in there.

You have to buy them yourself. If google around a bit, you'll find Elite trade tools, tha should give you an idea which station sells a certain goods.

owlbeak

You have to buy them yourself. If google around a bit, you'll find Elite trade tools, tha should give you an idea which station sells a certain goods.
Yeah, I checked out Slopey's but all the stations nearby that allowed them into the station didn't have any to sell. I ended up abandoning the mission :( hurt my Fed rank quite a bit, but I got it back up to where it was prior. Won't be taking any trade missions anymore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom