• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

I love Elite patches. Great update. Hope the beta period isn't too long.
I'm honestly not sure if they're going to stick to it, but they said that 1.5 would release the same day as Horizons.

Meaning no earlier than 24. November + duration of the Horizons beta phase. That would be quit a while.

DrBo42

WHAT. So good. Can you make a screenshot?

xr4EzC5.jpg

attachment.php

Dammit, been holding off on lunch until this guy starts flying his Corvette--I wanna hear it :(

I will say that a nerf to SCB is absolutely needed--just hoping it's not a "forest for the trees" situation. SCBs were basically the only PvP option. I mean:

Hylian7

I will say that a nerf to SCB is absolutely needed--just hoping it's not a "forest for the trees" situation. SCBs were basically the only PvP option. I mean:

I hope this encourages people to branch out instead of "gimme as many SCBs as I have compartments and power for!"

DrBo42

FSD Boost is the synthesis thing. 3 Levels. Level 2 is 50% of your range added, level 3 is 100%. So in the stock Viper MK 4, 10ly is stock, Level 2 is 15ly, Level 3 is 20ly.

elyetis

I plan on streaming, just want to make sure I have enough money in the beta to buy all the new ships first though.
If only they could finaly try to do the same with the complete lack un weapon build variety. ( but not with some nerf, they need to buff so many weapons and finaly allow us to store more munition... like say using compartments like we do with fuel and cargo )

Hylian7

If only they could finaly try to do the same with the complete lack un weapon build variety. ( but not with some nerf, they need to buff so many weapons and finaly allow us to store more munition... like say using compartments like we do with fuel and cargo )

Yeah, I never really understood why buying additional ammo caches or something like that isn't an option, it just makes sense. For some of the weapons you have more than enough ammo generally (Plasma Accelerators), but for others you never have enough (Multicannons).

I don't think I have ever actually run out of PA ammo before.

Serrato

FSD Boost is the synthesis thing. 3 Levels. Level 2 is 50% of your range added, level 3 is 100%. So in the stock Viper MK 4, 10ly is stock, Level 2 is 15ly, Level 3 is 20ly.

Oh ok it's the synthesis things, thanks guys.

Edit : oh jeez, the UI finally shows us percentage of the next rank? YES

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Navigation panel has filters now. So does cargo. Hoo boy.

Sweet! Now I can filter out those pesky worthless asteroid belts while exploring!

FSD Boost 3 doubles this guy's Anaconda's range:

So at best we can double our jump ranges, that's fantastic. A lot of stars that were previously unreachable will now be able to be explored! I wonder if boosting your FSD will have any negative side effects?

Serrato

I just heard that the Cutter has 2 8-Class compartments.

Fully Stacked with cargo, it can go to 796 tons.

Well, we got a new Hauler in town boys!

Edit :
11694111_995060613872986_8361220104109647926_n.jpg

Here I got the Corvette Compartments.

For the price, If I remember well the Price during a beta is like 10% of the real one.

lol

No one can get the Cutter out of the mailslot.

With crafting, you'll be able to create variations on weapon. Laser beam colors are coming, too!

Edit:

For the price, If I remember well the Price during a beta is like 10% of the real one.

Yup. So:

Viper Mk.IV: 437,930
Keelback: 3,126,150
Corvette: 187,969,450
Cutter: 208,969,450

Mengy

That Cutter is quite the interesting ship. Huge cargo space, impressive top speed for a large ship like that, good hardpoints, it's biggest two negatives are it's price and it's crappy jump range.

elyetis

With crafting, you'll be able to create variations on weapon. Laser beam colors are coming, too!
Yay... I guess ?
I mean it's better than nothing but I really think it's far from enough, I'm not even speaking about introducing new weapons ( thought... ) but making the one already in the game and pretty much never used, finaly usefull.

Yay... I guess ?
I mean it's better than nothing but I really think it's far from enough, I'm not even speaking about introducing new weapons ( thought... ) but making the one already in the game and pretty much never used, finaly usefull.

Well, that's what I'm saying--when you craft, you change the properties of the weapon. You give it an advantage somewhere and a disadvantage somewhere else. So there is at least the possibility that the underused weapons can get enough of a buff that they might be feasible to use.

Additional to all the nice changes in the huge changelog they changed the VR handling a bit. It's not Oculus focused anymore. Instead it's "HMD" settings now. They also curved the HUDs to a certain degree. It feels really nice in the star ports. I like it :) Performance is better as well.

Apparently the bug with the Cutter causes you to get stuck if your landing gear is retracted. Deploy your landing gear to pass through the mailslot.

But the ~ 70% heat for using one seems fair. It will prevent massive shield cell banking indeed. Sucks for those who used them to tank though

And yes @ Chaff Launcher should be nerfed as well.

DrBo42

But the ~ 70% heat for using one seems fair. It will prevent massive shield cell banking indeed. Sucks for those who used them to tank though

And yes @ Chaff Launcher should be nerfed as well.

It's not going to stop that, at all. You gotta keep in mind those of us in condas for combat are running like 6 shield boosters on top of a top class shield generator. We'll absolutely be fine abusing SCBs with these changes using x1 at a time and x2 in an emergency.

It's not going to stop that, at all. You gotta keep in mind those of us in condas for combat are running like 6 shield boosters on top of a top class shield generator. We'll absolutely be fine abusing SCBs with these changes using x1 at a time and x2 in an emergency.

With 70% increase in heat for each use of one, while you're potentially firing weapons? How will you manage that?

DrBo42

With 70% increase in heat for each use of one, while you're potentially firing weapons? How will you manage that?

Heat balances down pretty quickly after stopping fire. Heat sinks as well if you need to sustain fire during. Think the only thing that's going to happen is you'll suffer some decent module/hull damage but we'll see over the next few days.

Heat balances down pretty quickly after stopping fire. Heat sinks as well if you need to sustain fire during. Think the only thing that's going to happen is you'll suffer some decent module/hull damage but we'll see over the next few days.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some commentary from the usual youtubers.

Bobbleheads!

Other reddit stuff: crotch monitor is gone:

Huge buffs to hull reinforcement packages

You can double or triple a small ship's hull value with these things now. It is a massive buff to the smaller classes of them, and nearly a 60% buff to the 5D itself.
5D: 390
5E: 360
4D: 330
4E: 300
3D: 260
3E: 230
2D: 190
2E: 150
1D: 110
1E: 80
I fit out a Corvette with Military Composite, a C7 Bi-weave shield, 5x A Shield boosters, 2x 7A SCBs, 2x 5D Hull reinforcement, 2x 4D Hull reinforcement, and 1x 3D Hull reinforcement.
Shields: 1143 Armor: 2995

Keelback ship storage/launcher:

Burny

Completely get rid of the ammo function of SCBs, limit the equip amount to 1 or 2. Turn it into a rechargeable battery heavily dependent on SYS power/distributor grade. Changes the dynamic of combat and makes the pilot switch to the defensive to recharge their SCB once used etc. Essentially turns a pot to a cooldown (dependent on power management/module grade). That way you don't have to deal with the overcomplication of boot-up times and heat sinks. Simple.

As for heat generation, look at the FSD. I can't fathom the amount of energy dumped into a shield eclipsing the amount of heat generated to charge a jump in nearly the same amount of time.

I fail to see how that implementation would be any less convoluted in terms of balancing.

- You wouldn't have to restock, so it's undeniably simpler for the player there.
- You have to balance how fast they recharge, with how much energy to the SYS, depending on generator, distributor and shield cell size. Not any simpler to balance nor any less convoluted than discouraging spamming with negative effects. It's a "use as often as you can" affair vs. a "think if you can afford to use it" affair from a player's PoV.
- You are proposing the introduction of an artificial limit for how many SCBs may be equiped. That's not intuitive either if it's greater than one.
- How would multiple SCBs (2 in your case) be handled? Could they be simultanuosly powered, both recharged, but one deactivated and then reactivated when the first one has been used? Will the reactivated one already be readily charged? If not, that's no different than the boot-up time they are introducing now. If yes, that's what SCB spamming is like now, just that rather than giving the player a good reason not to do it, its limited with an artificial max number of SCB modules.

Attaching notable heat generation to something that logically uses a lot of energy within a short amount of time seems more logical to me than introducing an arbitrary, greater than 1, limit to how many of modul type X may be installed. The first option can be explained with the already twisted game logic, the latter is a number to learn by heart. The game lets your ship fry itself rather quickly in silent running too.

DrBo42

Check out the sweet hitbox on Corvette. LOL

http://www.twitch.tv/drbo42/v/25649899

I fail to see how that implementation would be any less convoluted in terms of balancing.

- You wouldn't have to restock, so it's undeniably simpler for the player there.
- You have to balance how fast they recharge, with how much energy to the SYS, depending on generator, distributor and shield cell size. Not any simpler to balance nor any less convoluted than discouraging spamming with negative effects. It's a "use as often as you can" affair vs. a "think if you can afford to use it" affair from a player's PoV.
- You are proposing the introduction of an artificial limit for how many SCBs may be equiped. That's not intuitive either if it's greater than one.
- How would multiple SCBs (2 in your case) be handled? Could they be simultanuosly powered, both recharged, but one deactivated and then reactivated when the first one has been used? Will the reactivated one already be readily charged? If not, that's no different than the boot-up time they are introducing now. If yes, that's what SCB spamming is like now, just that rather than giving the player a good reason not to do it, its limited with an artificial max number of SCB modules.

Attaching notable heat generation to something that logically uses a lot of energy within a short amount of time seems more logical to me than introducing an arbitrary, greater than 1, limit to how many of modul type X may be installed. The first option can be explained with the already twisted game logic, the latter is a number to learn by heart. The game lets your ship fry itself rather quickly in silent running too.

I don't see how it's not. My initial thought is 1 SCB limitation but I threw in "1 or 2" as a casual thought. Adding heat damage doesn't add anything to "think if you can afford to use it". It's not something that does catastrophic damage to you, regardless of what class you use etc. With the complete changes they've made the only thing that's really going to happen is that the meta will switch to hull module tanking if the SCB dance is too much, considering how absurd that buff was.

SmartBase

I just heard that the Cutter has 2 8-Class compartments.

Fully Stacked with cargo, it can go to 796 tons.

Well, we got a new Hauler in town boys!

Edit :

796 tons! Surely that can't be right, otherwise I'm going back to trading.

Hylian7

I streamed using the Cutter earlier. Damn fine ship.

I plan to do the Corvette later on tonight. Finding these ships is a lot harder than I thought I would be, which is why it takes so long. I'm sure those of you that saw my stream know how long it took me to finally find the 8A Thrusters.

SmartBase

Damn, I may have to look into that as my new high-end hauler.

Go ahead. Interdict me. I dare ya.

Well I calculated and the corvette can go to 616 tons. If the cutter has a class 8 instead of 3 class 7, im not surprise it can go that much higher

I just grabbed one and with a class 6 shield (can't go any smaller) it carries 728 tons. My equivalent tradeConda lugs around 452. You did good Imperials, you did real good.

Still takes way too long to find modules of a specific size, I had the Cutter fully combat equipped in maybe 10 minutes whereas I haven't even been able to find 7A thrusters for the Corvette yet. So frustrating.

HelloMeow

The Corvette isn't as maneuverable as the Anaconda. It has basically no breaks. Reverse thrust is so weak you might as well turn around to slow down.

Burny

I don't see how it's not. My initial thought is 1 SCB limitation but I threw in "1 or 2" as a casual thought. Adding heat damage doesn't add anything to "think if you can afford to use it". It's not something that does catastrophic damage to you, regardless of what class you use etc.

If activating 2 shield cells after on another were to generate up to 140% heat on top of your regular heat output, you'd already suffer module damage and probably constant hull damage. How does that not make anybody think rather than spam? With a cooldown/recharge and otherwise consequence free use, it would be a no brainer to use SCBs. They'd just have an artificial hard limit instead. It would also be ridiculous if not balanced with absolute care: The big ships could become effectively invincible for small ships that don't dish out more damage in the time the SC needs to recharge, than using the SC would add to the shields.

With the complete changes they've made the only thing that's really going to happen is that the meta will switch to hull module tanking if the SCB dance is too much, considering how absurd that buff was.
That is inevitable if hull reinforcements turn out to be "OP" or even just good and useful. But it's not directly realted to SCBs. Just a possible alternative with a rather different dynamic, as a hull doesn't recharge itself and submodules can still be targeted.

Mengy

How much does that beauty costs?

It will cost $190 million when it goes live. Plus upgrades of course, so figure about $300 mil or so to fit it out well. It's super expensive, but one hell of a ship. A trader's wet dream really.

All of these new ships but amazingly enough the Asp is still the ship that fits my playstyle the best. I wonder if someday they'll actually introduce a better exploration ship than the Asp.

Raytow

It will cost $190 million when it goes live. Plus upgrades of course, so figure about $300 mil or so to fit it out well. It's super expensive, but one hell of a ship. A trader's wet dream really.
Any new ships for a poor trader that has around 18 millions?

DrBo42

If activating 2 shield cells after on another were to generate up to 140% heat on top of your regular heat output, you'd already suffer module damage and probably constant hull damage. How does that not make anybody think rather than spam? With a cooldown/recharge and otherwise consequence free use, it would be a no brainer to use SCBs. They'd just have an artificial hard limit instead. It would also be ridiculous if not balanced with absolute care: The big ships could become effectively invincible for small ships that don't dish out more damage in the time the SC needs to recharge, than using the SC would add to the shields.

That is inevitable if hull reinforcements turn out to be "OP" or even just good and useful. But it's not directly realted to SCBs. Just a possible alternative with a rather different dynamic, as a hull doesn't recharge itself and submodules can still be targeted.

Yeah still not convinced. People might throw in a field repair unit and set their important modules to repair beforehand to counter-act the damage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom