• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

D4B9A084F0D09A43DCE94E7666D647E619CEA2B3

Anaconda go home, you're drunk.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I bought myself an Imperial Clipper and fitted it out for some serious mining, WOAH what a cool ship this is. Insane boost speed and she sings like a banshee angel when you throttle her up. Those blue lights in the cockpit are sweet too, especially out in the dark depths of space.

This is how I have her fitted up right now:

Clipper Miner

Plenty of power, top speed of 339m/s with a boost of 429 m/s (once I can afford the A Thrusters that will be 441 m/s), two prospectors with three collectors, 9 bin refinery, two med mining drills, and 208t of cargo space, makes for quite the mining ship. Currently running with no shields, had to run from a few pirates but with the speed of this ship it hasn't been an issue yet. I could always change out the 64t cargo rack for a shield generator but for now I'd rather have the cargo room. I think I'm just gonna mine for awhile and work my credits up a bit, maybe do some trading with all of this cargo space.

So I tried mining for the first time.

Really wish there was a setting to make collector limpets only go after fragments and not just and random shit (especially the stuff I just ejected)

It gets real annoying.

Hylian7

I picked up a Clipper when they were 15 mil and open to everyone during the coronation. Since I use my Anaconda to trade (for now at least, until I get it combat ready), I'm thinking I might turn my Clipper into a mining Clipper.

Burny

Has anyone here tried their hand at creating macros using Voice Attack?

I've dabbled a bit in it yestarday, but it's not as robust as I'd like. :p The problem being that the UI panels to the left and right store the tab in which they were last viewed and cycle through tabs rather than stopping at the first or last tab.

It's possible to assign the button press sequence for "open left panel", "go to the next right/left tab"... (select station etc.), but with just the means VoiceAttack provides, I don't see how it's possible to determine in which tab you start out/left and how many tabs to the left/right you have to jump in order to get to the contacts tab. Once there it's easy to request docking, as the station is always the topmost contact.

Just saying "Request docking!" is rather convenient compared to having manually to sift through the side panels. ;)

DrBo42

Has anyone here tried their hand at creating macros using Voice Attack?

I've dabbled a bit in it yestarday, but it's not as robust as I'd like. :p The problem being that the UI panels to the left and right store the tab in which they were last viewed and cycle through tabs rather than stopping at the first or last tab.

It's possible to assign the button press sequence for "open left panel", "go to the next right/left tab"... (select station etc.), but with just the means VoiceAttack provides, I don't see how it's possible to determine in which tab you start out/left and how many tabs to the left/right you have to jump in order to get to the contacts tab. Once there it's easy to request docking, as the station is always the topmost contact.

Just saying "Request docking!" is rather convenient compared to having manually to sift through the side panels. ;)

That's why you setup the voice command to cycle back to Nav when it's done. Other than that it's about being aware of what you're setting the panels back to. Usually if you're leaving a RES etc and going back to base you're switching back to navigation as a default so it should be fine.

Would be nice if they gave us more options like direct buttons to certain screens. Would be awesome to have specific binds to shut down modules etc for a stealth sequence etc.

Burny

That's why you setup the voice command to cycle back to Nav when it's done. Other than that it's about being aware of what you're setting the panels back to. Usually if you're leaving a RES etc and going back to base you're switching back to navigation as a default so it should be fine.

Would be nice if they gave us more options like direct buttons to certain screens. Would be awesome to have specific binds to shut down modules etc for a stealth sequence etc.

That's what I did in the end. More options for direct access to specific functions would be great, agreed. Energy management would benefit greatly from makros - no matter how they're activated.

I couldn't play the game without VA now. Request docking, retract/deploy landing gear, power to engines/shields/weapons, etc. When I'm exploring, I just jump into the next system and say "scan," which holds the key for my ADS, gives me a moment to align with the star before targeting it, then opens the system map as soon as the ADS finishes. Also have "galaxy" and "system" commands for their respective maps. It's really an essential accessory at this point.

Burny

I couldn't play the game without VA now. Request docking, retract/deploy landing gear, power to engines/shields/weapons, etc. When I'm exploring, I just jump into the next system and say "scan," which holds the key for my ADS, gives me a moment to align with the star before targeting it, then opens the system map as soon as the ADS finishes. Also have "galaxy" and "system" commands for their respective maps. It's really an essential accessory at this point.
The landing gear and weapon deployment, I will probably add. As well as calls for the system and galaxy map. Anything that would require me to take the hands of the ship controls. It can't hurt to define voice commands for some of the more time critical things either, I guess. Power distribution though, like cycling weapon groups, "firing" scanners and similar tasks might be to slow with VA for me. I don't see the usefulness, when I have these things at my fingertips anyway. Unless of course, one is occupied managing all the other functions in a tight spot and can effectively handle one more critical command by saying it. ^^

I really must say, the docking permission makro is oddly satisfying. It was a bit finicky to get the timings right, because the game doesn't register 0,1 second presses without pause, but it zips through the docking request routine in less than 2 seconds now (after registering the voice command), which lets me concentrate on the flying and feels extremely convenient.

On another note, I feel like I should move on from the Vulture. It's terrific to fly and I can even use it well for hazardous RES hunting, but it takes to long to kill other, larger ships. ;-)

Mengy

On another note, I feel like I should move on from the Vulture. It's terrific to fly and I can even use it well for hazardous RES hunting, but it takes to long to kill other, larger ships. ;-)

I love my Vulture for combat, but man does it suck for star hopping. Crappy jump range, small fuel tank, poor scooping due to bad heat management. I'm liking my new Clipper but I think I've already set my sights on my next new ship that I want: the Python. It has better hardpoints than the Vulture, more cargo capacity than the Clipper, I'll be able to fit it out for trading, combat, mining, all in a medium ship so I'll still be able to work out of outposts, it can replace every ship in my fleet except for my exploration ship, which is currently a DBX, but I'm thinking of selling the DBX and making my Asp my explorer once again. I like the DBX but I still feel like the Asp is just the better exploration ship, and if I have my Clipper (or Python) for mining duties then I can put my Asp back into deep space mode. Which then I can just sell my DBX as I'll no longer need it.

So yeah, my Vulture will be replaced by a Python down the road.

Burny

So yeah, my Vulture will be replaced by a Python down the road.

Problem is, the price gap between the Vulture and the Python is huge. 17-18 Mio. credits for a well fitted Vulture. A well fitted Python goes into the 100 Mio. range, not to mention the 150+ Mio. an A-specced Python will eat up.

I can make 3 Mio. credits/h with a Vulture by bounty hunting in a harzardous RES. That's a lot of hours of farming. I need an intermediate ship or some way to maximize my profits considerably. :p

Agremont

I really want a python myself. I'm still a few million short if I don't sell my Asp. The thing is I really don't want to sell it as I've grown attached to it. And I want a good ship to go exploring with every now and then.

Then there's of course all the money for upgrades....

Problem is, the price gap between the Vulture and the Python is huge. 17-18 Mio. credits for a well fitted Vulture. A well fitted Python goes into the 100 Mio. range, not to mention the 150+ Mio. an A-specced Python will eat up.

I can make 3 Mio. credits/h with a Vulture by bounty hunting in a harzardous RES. That's a lot of hours of farming. I need an intermediate ship or some way to maximize my profits considerably. :p

And a Python won't really do any better at bounty hunting, as you're limited more by ship spawns than damage output, right? I haven't done haz site hunting yet, I should give that a shot in my Vulture--it's A-spec with a gimbaled beam/cannon combo so I should be all right.

Burny

And a Python won't really do any better at bounty hunting, as you're limited more by ship spawns than damage output, right? I haven't done haz site hunting yet, I should give that a shot in my Vulture--it's A-spec with a gimbaled beam/cannon combo so I should be all right.

Yes, without any other optimization shenanigans (which powers gave bonus for bounties again?), there's probably a ceiling to the credit flow generated by bounty hunting. But with the Vulture, I'm sometimes under the impression that I can't reach the ceiling, as it takes quiet a while and sometimes quiet a bit of chaff to fry Anacondas and Pythons. It makes me wonder what ships with more than two large hardpoints could do. ;)

Also, an A-rated Vulture? I couldn't for the life of me keep shield cells in my Vulture and have the kill warrant scanner and pulse lasers activated simultanuously. I always had to deactivate both pulse lasers to get the KWS to work. Which is a lot of hassle during an hour+ of bounty hunting. In the end, the shield cells had to go and were replaced by a shield booster which allowed me to power both weapons and kws are simultaneously. Still, A-rated thrusters are out of my Vulture's energy budget.

Yes, without any other optimization shenanigans (which powers gave bonus for bounties again?), there's probably a ceiling to the credit flow generated by bounty hunting. But with the Vulture, I'm sometimes under the impression that I can't reach the ceiling, as it takes quiet a while and sometimes quiet a bit of chaff to fry Anacondas and Pythons. It makes me wonder what ships with more than two large hardpoints could do. ;)

Also, an A-rated Vulture? I couldn't for the life of me keep shield cells in my Vulture and have the kill warrant scanner and pulse lasers activated simultanuously. I always had to deactivate both pulse lasers to get the KWS to work. Which is a lot of hassle during an hour+ of bounty hunting. In the end, the shield cells had to go and were replaced by a shield booster which allowed me to power both weapons and kws are simultaneously. Still, A-rated thrusters are out of my Vulture's energy budget.

Well I guess when I said A-rated I meant maxed. I think my thrusters are Cs, and my KWS is an E so I can keep it up while deployed. Having the cannon helps though, since it uses only a little power.

I suppose the Python would be much more capable in a haz site, so there is that.

Can someone explain how multiple shield cell banks work, please?

I'm running a general purpose build but am looking to do a combat take on a few things, and I've seen people stack banks of both similar and different classes on ships (like the courier).

But some of these modules are depowered entirely on their coriolis builds. Does depowering these just add ammo to a single bank? Does this cross class and/or ratings across modules? Do they manually switch certain banks on and off? Combat vids I see don't show people switching the power management tab mid fight to handle this.

Burny

But some of these modules are depowered entirely on their coriolis builds. Does depowering these just add ammo to a single bank? Does this cross class and/or ratings across modules? Do they manually switch certain banks on and off? Combat vids I see don't show people switching the power management tab mid fight to handle this.
I read up on it over the weekend. When you activate a shield cell, all powered banks will be triggered. I assume that the effect will be cumulative but you'll nevertheless potentially waste shield cells that way.

Same thing with chaff. If you hit the chaff button it will launch all chaff modules at once. You can put chaff into fire groups, though, and I can't recall if you can do that with shield cell banks.

Serrato

As a Ship between the Vulture and Python, I suggest the Federal Assault Ship. I currently have one that started at 34M and now I upgraded it for a 60M beast that destroy pretty much anything fast.

It's less agile than the Vulture but it has greater firepower, greater power management and better armor.

Edit : here is the build.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...004040k4a5i5d580101.Iw1+gDJJA===.CwBhrSuyg===

And Fully A-Fitted goes for around 91M so it's near the price of a correct Python.

Serrato

Well, it seems that most Mid-Ships are all locked behind Ranks (Imperial Clipper, the 3 Federal Ships)

and then we have the Heavy ones (Python and FDL)

and finally we will have Large Ships locked behind ranks too (Corvette and Cutter) beside the Anaconda that will be the smallest of the three.

gotta grind those ranks xD

The Clipper feels like it should be a good mid-range ship, but unless you need the versatility it offers, it's really no better in combat than the Vulture, and chaff will make you pull your god-damned hair out.

Been so preoccupied by an illness (I might have the fucking mumps), forgot about the stream on 1.5/collectables! It's live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

Just showed off the Asp Scout (''Fewer weapons, less power but still has a great jump range, possessing 2 Medium and 2 Small hardpoints'', cheaper than Explorer) now showing the Cobra Mk IV. Hardpoint placement looks MUCH improved--I love the high placement of hardpoints on the Vulture and the Cobra now has all hardpoints on the top of the ship.

Out of the ships shown, new Viper looks the best to me.

EDIT: Keelback:

2 small and 2 med hardpoints. Reduced cargo capacity compared to T6 but still a trading ship, just with more defensive capabilities and better powerplant. Side thrusters rotate to aid in landing.

Oh snap! "Passenger missions and passenger gameplay" is planned for Season 2.

EDIT 2: FEDERAL CORVETTE

2 huge points at top-rear of the ship:

EDIT 3: Cutter

Says its "quite fast", faster than Anaconda and Corvette. Good for "boom and zoom", not very maneuverable.

EDIT 4: Talking about "materials" now, which is what they're calling collectables/loot. Talking about a "synthesis" system, which is separate from crafting. Specific examples: if you have the right materials, you can synthesize repair materials (so your auto-repair module can actually repair your ship to 100% by itself) or ammunition.

Oh fuck! You can synthesize a one-shot boost to your FSD range, too! Again, you need the materials.

Different quality levels for your materials. Higher quality materials give additional enhancements. For example, better mats give higher jump range for boost, or may give a damage bonus for your synthesize ammo, etc.

That's really fucking cool.

DrBo42

Not sure how well that material system is going to work. Especially if you need to explore to collect them and they perish with your ship if you die. Not to mention the inability to switch cargo from one ship to another at a port.

Would be great to make a huge journey exploring to gather materials etc and come back to your main starport in civilized space to stockpile them and issue them out to your fleet as needed but I can't imagine that being what'll happen.

Not sure how well that material system is going to work. Especially if you need to explore to collect them and they perish with your ship if you die. Not to mention the inability to switch cargo from one ship to another at a port.

Would be great to make a huge journey exploring to gather materials etc and come back to your main starport in civilized space to stockpile them and issue them out to your fleet as needed but I can't imagine that being what'll happen.

They also mentioned that synth'd materials will be available in other forms down the road.

I think their use depends on FD creating situations for them and how they're stored. If it's just a temp upgrade to an existing module that doesn't take up space, that's fine. How quickly can they deploy? I can see these being life-savers in a battle but only if they can be applied quickly. Otherwise, they might be good for "boss encounters"--I immediately thought of the ol "room of loot" prior to bosses in games. Unfortunately, FD doesn't really have any encounters you have to "prep" for. They'd still be useful in your average fight against more powerful ships.

In other ways, since they can be applied to shields, it might save your ass. Same for FSD--if that scoopable star is just beyond your available jump distance, having a juiced FSD for that moment would be a big help.

I am encouraged that they have these little surprises up their sleeves, though. Feeling real good about Horizons.

EDIT: Official "Ships of 1.5" playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7glm5rbPHKy9l2W3sv2ilTGwA5lZXELB

Mengy

EDIT 4: Talking about "materials" now, which is what they're calling collectables/loot. Talking about a "synthesis" system, which is separate from crafting. Specific examples: if you have the right materials, you can synthesize repair materials (so your auto-repair module can actually repair your ship to 100% by itself) or ammunition.

Oh fuck! You can synthesize a one-shot boost to your FSD range, too! Again, you need the materials.

Different quality levels for your materials. Higher quality materials give additional enhancements. For example, better mats give higher jump range for boost, or may give a damage bonus for your synthesize ammo, etc.

That's really fucking cool.

So, explorers can make a boost item that allows them to jump farther than normal? I like that. It gives explorers two things:

1. a reason to go material farming at all
2. a way to boost further than normal to allow us access to stars usually unreachable

I have to admit, it sounds like they are incorporating some real nice ideas. I'm kind of getting excited here....

Burny

<summary>
As usual, thanks! Great work putting together a bit of a summary. :)

Frontier has the videos of the ships on their youtube channel. As well as the whole recorded stream.

Edit: While we're talking about ship designs, I was really pleasantly surprised by the Cobra Mk. IV. It seems - at least to me - that they flattened the angle of the edges next to the fins, which looked rather steep to me in this sneek peek. Meaning that the one ship in one of the screenshots/videos (?) might have actually been the Cobra Mk IV, as you suggested, Anton. ;-)

Apparently, they survive death!
Only materials will survive ship destruction, other vouchers are unchanged. This is because it's very likely that Commanders will want to carry around materials even though they have no direct need for them at that time.

We feel it would be unnecessarily punishing to kill them when your ship is destroyed.

Vouchers are always only useful once they have been claimed; there's no real reason to hang on to them, so their risk/reward mechanic makes them fine to be at risk.

As much as this past year's move away from the hardcore sim makes me nervous, I appreciate these decisions, as a player.

Burny

As much as this past year's move away from the hardcore sim makes me nervous, I appreciate these decisions, as a player.

Hull life bars. They have been there from the beginning, so ED was never even close to a simulation, much less a "hardcore" one. ;-) There's so much else, but this is the most obvious design decision flying in the face of any argument that this game is a simulation.

They may have a relatively realistic galaxy, but the game mechanics around that are game through and through, albeit a very complex one.

Hull life bars. They have been there from the beginning, so ED was never even close to a simulation, much less a "hardcore" one. ;-) There's so much else, but this is the most obvious design decision flying in the face of any argument that this game is a simulation.

They may have a relatively realistic galaxy, but the game mechanics around that are game through and through, albeit a very complex one.

I think a good number of the flight mechanics are sim-ish in aspects. Perma-death for your current ship, cargo, bounties. How unforgiving flying can be, especially as a noob. Power management, UI interactions, etc.

I mean, it's obviously a game, but at one point FD seemed to have a pretty hard stance on not breaking the immersion of the experience with "gamey" aspects.

Now they just need to switch between ships.

Yeah, that's the kind of mechanic I'm referencing--you're right, Burny, it's far from a hardcore sim, but I doubt we'll ever be able to just spawn in any ship that we own--there will be some kind of taxi or delivery service that takes actual time and/or money.

Burny

Yeah, that's the kind of mechanic I'm referencing--you're right, Burny, it's far from a hardcore sim, but I doubt we'll ever be able to just spawn in any ship that we own--there will be some kind of taxi or delivery service that takes actual time and/or money.

Associating a cost and also possibly a delay when transferring ships is a good idea imo.

For my part I think they've so far found a very passable balance between keeping this a game design wise and nevertheless giving the impression of a simulation.

DrBo42

Associating a cost and also possibly a delay when transferring ships is a good idea imo.

For my part I think they've so far found a very passable balance between keeping this a game design wise and nevertheless giving the impression of a simulation.

For me the seams of their "background simulation" have always been visible and extremely shallow. That universe does not feel alive at all IMO. Makes stuff like Powerplay all the more painful.

Edit: And then I realized you're talking about simulation in general. It's late. Point still stands, haha. But yeah I'd agree they've got a nice balance of fun and simulation when it comes to control/flight depth.

Burny

For me the seams of their "background simulation" have always been visible and extremely shallow. That universe does not feel alive at all IMO. Makes stuff like Powerplay all the more painful.

Edit: And then I realized you're talking about simulation in general. It's late. Point still stands, haha. But yeah I'd agree they've got a nice balance of fun and simulation when it comes to control/flight depth.

Heh. ^^

No arguments from me about the universe not feeling alive.

I wouldn't attribute it entirely to the background simulation though. A full economic simulation, tracking each ware being traded around by players and NPCs might not even be feasible technically. What I feel is lacking, is the visible effects of the BGS in the game, as well as some other things, that are not necessarily related to the BGS sim. E.g. there could be a closer connection from the BGS to missions offered to players and the behaviour of ships in sectors. Then there could be all manners of specialized - not player controllable - ships and things like the CZ and RES bounty mechanics could be worked to something more elaborate and believale, rather than being places to grind for various professions. "Small" touches like people on landing pads in the space stations etc.. Also balancing questions between weapons for example (who hee has recently used missiles? :p)

I can't blame FDev too much for all those things not being there atm though. Contrary to the impression I'm getting, especially from the early ranters shortly after release, I don't think FDev are sitting there all day, twiddling thumbs, celebrating that they are getting away selling a game "without content". There are a lot of things in the game with a lot more coming at a steady pace so far. When something is not in, that absolutely should be, chances are, they didn't have the time to do it.

I'd rather be playing the "unfinished" game we are playing now, while it evolves and matures, than wait another 5 years until they have implemented more of the myriad of things they'd still like to (hired NPC wingmen and crewmembers would be very cool :3). Or watch, while they run their business into the ground due to an imbalance in ambition and funding. :p In that regard, I'd welcome very much if Planet Coaster established itself as their second self published franchise. The more stable the company is, the better for any of their games. I really want to see what they can do with Elite in the coming years.

Serrato

Well I think it's more they had the goal of ''release a Pew pew lasers game first with a fuckton of stars that works then add more and more and more things''

Instead of making a game with so much mass that it will probably implode on itself and never release. (I do think StarCitizen will eventually release, but will it be worth it?)

Mengy

I love simulation games, and I own hundreds of them (literally), but what made the original Elite so great and unique was that it was a space simulation with a game in it's center, so unlike flight simulators of the time where you just flew around with nothing to do other than simulate flight, in Elite there were goals to accomplish and things to do and interact with, there was a game there that gave you a reason to use the simulation. Elite Dangerous is very much the same actually, it's a very detailed space flight and galaxy simulator but with gameplay at it's center giving reasons for the simulation. Even Microsoft's last flight simulator, FSX from 2006 which is still the most popular and robust flight simulator today, STILL doesn't have any actual gameplay elements built into it. Addons like Fligh Sim Economy can inject mild gameplay elements into modern flight simulators but it's nothing compared to what Elite Dangerous has incorporated into it.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I find both Elite Dangerous and Euro Truck Sim 2 so damned compelling and fun, they are simulators with games inside of them. Frontier's done a very good job keeping that balance while still keeping the sim aspects enforced and engrossing. I wish there was a modern hardcore complete general aviation style sim with similar aspects to it, I'd literally pay hundreds of dollars for such a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom