• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Id love to try it on the Rift, but honestly just looking around normally inside your cockpit, the way the computers pop up on the left and right, the engine noises etc, its all so damn immersive. It really does feel like youre actually flying your own spaceship.

Yea, the sound design in particular should be lauded, the game sounds *amazing* with a good set of headphones. I love how you can hear all the loose bits in your ship shaking about when you hit your thrusters.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Look, I don't know why we're all dancing around the question. We're all curious. Will this game let me live out my "Han Solo during his smuggler days" fantasy? Yes or no?

Wreav

Banned
Look, I don't know why we're all dancing around the question. We're all curious. Will this game let me live out my "Han Solo during his smuggler days" fantasy? Yes or no?

b11be4e2f03dbe3918e8644c7ca80cd7-star-wars-han-solo.jpg

LeBart

You won't be meeting any weird looking aliens or have them join your crew, but it's the closest thing there is, yes.

WanderingWind

Well, then I don't know why that's not in the thread title or the OP! This is very good info to have!

Shame about the no aliens though.

Spookie

£40 and not on Steam so I can't use my credit? :/

Gonna have to pass till have to christmas. Certainly wasn't expecting it to be that expensive.

WanderingWind

Whoever told you there are no aliens was lying to you. The Thargoids would like a word.

Dammit LeBart!

But seriously, this may be the first time an OT has sold me on a game, versus killing interest. Now I just got to wait to get home and start the download. Hopefully it'll be done by the weekend.

Corgi

Banned
do you get ai wingmen or other things in SP? how large in scale do battles get? How much influence would you have?

Are there large capital ships you can interact with/control?

Wreav

Banned
I wish we could preview the cockpits of a new ship before we buy. Just got the Adder and it's like driving a Kia, there's NO visibility!

I hope when we get player to player docking that we get some level of player customization aside from gender. Iunno, maybe different suits and decals or something, so not everyone looks the same.

Gaz_RB

I can't wait til we can walk around ships. I wonder if we'll be able to get bigger ships and have likes NPC crews at some point? It's probably a long time down the road, but all these future updates will give me a reason to come back to the game over the years, so that's good.

I hope when we get player to player docking that we get some level of player customization aside from gender. Iunno, maybe different suits and decals or something, so not everyone looks the same.

Agreed. We def need player customization at some point, and the ability to buy new clothes and stuff.

Wreav

Banned
I can't wait til we can walk around ships. I wonder if we'll be able to get bigger ships and have likes NPC crews at some point? It's probably a long time down the road, but all these future updates will give me a reason to come back to the game over the years, so that's good.

NPC crews will come first, then player controlled crews. I'd assume this is several expansions away, given how they've talked about it.

The only thing the game is missing, to me, is legs. I wanna walk around on asteroids! I wanna walk around in my ship! In someone else's ship! In a dock!
Once we get that, it'll be perfect.

vpance

Watched a couple streams but I just couldn't keep interest. Maybe I was watching the wrong ones? Most people I saw were usually trading stuff and it did feel like a truck sim with a very bland setting. The sun and space station seemed to be the only familiar sights. Guess I'm not into the act of piloting a space ship that much. Fwiw I loved Wing Commander and Tie Fighter back in the day.

LeBart

Dammit LeBart!

But seriously, this may be the first time an OT has sold me on a game, versus killing interest. Now I just got to wait to get home and start the download. Hopefully it'll be done by the weekend.

I never said they don't exist, just that you're not gonna meet any of them face to face. You're not even going to meet humans face to face. That's not in the game yet.

elyetis

I wish we could preview the cockpits of a new ship before we buy. Just got the Adder and it's like driving a Kia, there's NO visibility!
Worst than the Hauler ? going from the starting ship to the Hauler felt like a downgrade just because of the cockpit view... having a DK2 for headtracking but so little visibility is sooo disapointing.

Corgi

Banned
fuck. no one told me there was a cheaper preorder price. gaf thread title only mentioned the more expensive beta :(

How big is the install?

fantomena

Sad to see it has yet to release on Steam or GOG.

I guess there are millions or atleast thousands of people who are itnerested in Elite: Dangerous, but don't know it exist before it pops up on Steam/GOG.

Wreav

Banned
Worst than the Hauler ? going from the starting ship to the Hauler felt like a downgrade just because of the cockpit view... having a DK2 for headtracking but so little visibility is sooo disapointing.

Been a while since I was in the Hauler, but was certainly a shock. The other thing I hate is it's a double seater cockpit, and the captain's chair is British style on the right side of the cabin. RAGE!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So this requires the use of the DS4 tool then? Does that mean it has the Xbox button prompts?

Was hoping it would just be picked up as a generic controller.

So I have a mission to hunt pirates, but I can't seem to find any. I can't interdict spacecraft yet, so I'm stuck searching. Where should I look?

Also, I preordered. Where can I find where my Eagle is docked?

Wreav

Banned
FD released a Play Your Way teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNK3gxi2gM

So I have a mission to hunt pirates, but I can't seem to find any. I can't interdict spacecraft yet, so I'm stuck searching. Where should I look?

Every USS you can find. Dock at a station, and go into the shipyard menu, you should see a tab with all your owned ships. Also, on the galaxy map, the system with the stored ship will have a green ship icon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I hate the default controls. Making a stupid circle in the middle of the screen be the black hole of mouse control and making the camera spin around depending on the degree youve angle the pointer at coupled with the distance away from the centre?

Seriously?

I had to quit out of the tutorial because it just terrible. Trying to remap anything is damm pain too, not only is there a billion options for controls, Ive no idea how to put the controls mapped to the mouse tot he keys. The keyboard only mode.. removes controls entirely?

Ugh 30 minutes into the very first tutorial and feck all progress for me.

X:Rebirth had perfect controls but shitty everything else. I hope this game isn't gonna be the opposite.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The devs have said that the Adder is such a good ship overall that it needed a strong negative to balance it out, and the visibility is that negative. Even still, it's the ship I'm gunning for tonight when I go to ditch the free Sidewinder.

waiting for steam release :(

There isn't going to be one. Sorry.

Shoe786

So to find pirates or most of any other mission objectives, you wanna just fly around in supercruise in the system the mission is in and wait for "unidentified signal sources" to appear on the map. These are kind of like instances that appear randomly you can travel to like any other location and you'll find something of interest there. Sometimes it's a mission objective, sometimes it's some lonely trader ship waiting to be plundered, sometimes it's cargo floating in space, etc.

I would like to know where m eagle is too -_-

I hate the default controls. Making a stupid circle in the middle of the screen be the black hole of mouse control and making the camera spin around depending on the degree youve angle the pointer at coupled with the distance away from the centre?

Seriously?

I had to quit out of the tutorial because it just terrible. Trying to remap anything is damm pain too, not only is there a billion options for controls, Ive no idea how to put the controls mapped to the mouse tot he keys. The keyboard only mode.. removes controls entirely?

Ugh 30 minutes into the very first tutorial and feck all progress for me.

X:Rebirth had perfect controls but shitty everything else. I hope this game isn't gonna be the opposite.
I would highly recommend switching to a joystick or controller.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I highly encourage anyone complaining about the controls to get a HOTAS controller. It is a game changer. The game is essentially a space simulator, and is designed to be played with a HOTAS.

The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X is less than $50 and will solve all of your problems. I honestly wouldn't try playing it with anything less, you're kind of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

FD released a Play Your Way teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNK3gxi2gM

Every USS you can find. Dock at a station, and go into the shipyard menu, you should see a tab with all your owned ships. Also, on the galaxy map, the system with the stored ship will have a green ship icon.

So to find pirates or most of any other mission objectives, you wanna just fly around in supercruise in the system the mission is in and wait for "unidentified signal sources" to appear on the map. These are kind of like instances that appear randomly you can travel to like any other location and you'll find something of interest there. Sometimes it's a mission objective, sometimes it's some lonely trader ship waiting to be plundered, sometimes it's cargo floating in space, etc.

Thanks guys. I don't see a shipyard menu however when I dock at a station, and I'm in the only system where it says I have ships (unless it's just away in another star system that I haven't found).

moggio

Banned

It shows you on the galaxy map. There will be a little icon next to the system it is in. It also tells you where it is in the shipyard.

Nav Beacons usually have people flying around them.

The Eagle you can find if you dock at a station and go the Hangar or Ship section (forget what it's called - EDIT: Shipyard, as mentioned above) and it will tell you where you have ships docked.

To find your Freagle:

1) Open up galaxy map. The system where your ship is stored will have an icon.

2) Go to a space port, and open up the menu where you buy new ships. It will tell you what ships you have stored and where they are located

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Where's the Merc Edition pre-order content stored in-game? The free ship etc.

To find your Freagle:

1) Open up galaxy map. The system where your ship is stored will have an icon.

2) Go to a space port, and open up the menu where you buy new ships. It will tell you what ships you have stored and where they are located

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Guess I'll try a controller.

Dunno bout a flight stick. It's highly tempting but the actual setup would be impractical on my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom