• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoJ

Don't think there's going to be nearly the changes people think could happen, but a little more consistency with their policies would be welcomed. Also, not loosely considering anything .0001% of the population don't like as "hate." Hate is a specific thing. The word hate doesn't mean any little thing some blue hair is annoyed at.
Just doing that would go a looooonnnnnngggggggg way.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And what would that be?
Face Truth GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not trying to be a smart ass, I really don't know what you're talking about.
Truth. Don’t listen to the fake news claiming the platform in beta is dead or dying just because the writer of the hit piece can’t get on it and spew their diarrhea takes. For something in beta and running on Mastodon it’s great so far.

Truth. Don’t listen to the fake news claiming the platform in beta is dead or dying just because the writer of the hit piece can’t get on it and spew their diarrhea takes. For something in beta and running on Mastodon it’s great so far.

I've heard they've been taking their time with the Apple community to get things right before the Android launch. That's supposed to be early May, right?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
A hostile takeover of Twitter would be nearly impossible, so I seriously doubt that's the reason Musk declined.

He probably just didn't want to deal with whatever else they stipulated for him to join the board.

Elysion

Banned
Watch Elon restore free speech on Twitter… but at the price of anonymity, forcing all users to get verified and post under their real names. That‘s something certain people have been calling for for some time now (not only for Twitter, but the Internet in general), since it would remove all protection users have from real world consequences. Online anonymity is just as important, if not more so, than ‚free speech‘ (which has never really existed anyway).

Let‘s hope Elon Musk is not a wolf in sheep‘s clothing in this regard.

LavosBit

Neo Member
Sounds like a pump and dump scheme in the making. Twitter’s stock price already jumped like 12% since this announcement, so if he sells the shares he just bought, he pockets close to a billion dollars in profit.

And if he’s genuinely serious about his offer, he needs to spend less time online giving a shit about what transpires on Twitter. He could spend a tiny fraction of that 54b making a competitor. And yeah, I know there are no shortage of Twitter knock-offs out there, but they’re buggy and shitty because they lack adequate financial backing and technological expertise. That wouldn’t be a problem for Musk.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sounds like a pump and dump scheme in the making. Twitter’s stock price already jumped like 12% since this announcement, so if he sells the shares he just bought, he pockets close to a billion dollars in profit.

And if he’s genuinely serious about his offer, he needs to spend less time online giving a shit about what transpires on Twitter. He could spend a tiny fraction of that 54b making a competitor. And yeah, I know there are no shortage of Twitter knock-offs out there, but they’re buggy and shitty because they lack adequate financial backing and technological expertise. That wouldn’t be a problem for Musk.
Yep. If people are serious about fixing excess censorship and social media issues it will be through government regulation, not appealing to the whims of the cool billionaire. While he sometimes does things that are interesting, he frequently uses twitter to personally profit himself.

TTOOLL

He seems serious.

Bret Taylor

Chairman of the Board,

I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy.

However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company.

As a result, I am offering to buy 100% of Twitter for $54.20 per share in cash, a 54% premium over the day before I began investing in Twitter and a 38% premium over the day before my investment was publicly announced. My offer is my best and final offer and if it is not accepted, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.

Twitter has extraordinary potential. I will unlock it.

/s/ Elon Musk

Last edited:

GHound

There's no way that it happens, right? The universe has decided that fun isn't allowed and them actually selling would be more entertaining than prime time television for months. Not that that's a high bar.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

There's no way that it happens, right? The universe has decided that fun isn't allowed and them actually selling would be more entertaining than prime time television for months. Not that that's a high bar.

I have no idea but I guess shareholders might be tempeted by the offer.

TTOOLL

People crying on Reddit saying things like "Elon is a child and hasn't achieved anything in life, he only buys and sells stuff for a profit..." I mean, you can't make shit like this up.
Their tears are delicious tho

If it turns out to be just a pump and dump, you got to give credit to the guy anyway.

I don't doubt that he would turn Twitter into a much more relevant tech company, it could be Elon's ticket a lot of new opportunities down the line, Twitter could pivot in a lot of interesting directions if it didn't suck.

Last edited:
I think it's a serious offer, but failure still means a pump and dump for a cool billion. It will probably work though, Musk essentially saying, "Look at the price of your shares before I came around sniffing, this shit-show of a company will never be worth more than what I'm offering, make your choice."

Damn, Elon Musk makes things so much more fun.

He's got them in a tricky position here. If they decline his offer and he sells the shares he already has, that stock price is going to go way down. So it's like throwing money away, and not knowing if it will ever return. Can't see him staying on the site either, which raises the prospect of him creating a competitor. Seems like they should sell.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Damn, Elon Musk makes things so much more fun.

He's got them in a tricky position here. If they decline his offer and he sells the shares he already has, that stock price is going to go way down. So it's like throwing money away, and not knowing if it will ever return. Can't see him staying on the site either, which raises the prospect of him creating a competitor. Seems like they should sell.
I just want him to destroy the toxic San Francisco tech culture. Twitter would be a start and should be a warning to other companies.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Script

[SEND VIA TEXT]
As I indicated this weekend, I believe that the company should be private to go through the changes that need to be made.
After the past several days of thinking this over, I have decided I want to acquire the company and take it private.
I am going to send you an offer letter tonight, it will be public in the morning.
Are you available to chat?

[VOICE SCRIPT]
1.Best and Final:
a.I am not playing the back-and-forth game.
b.I have moved straight to the end.
c.It's a high price and your shareholders will love it.
d.If the deal doesn’t work, given that I don’t have confidence in management nor do I believe I can drive the necessary change in the public market, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.
i.This is not a threat, it's simply not a good investment without the changes that need to be made.
ii.And those changes won't happen without taking the company private.

2.My advisors and my team are available after you get the letter to answer any questions
a.There will be more detail in our public filings. After you receive the letter and review the public filings, your team can call my family office with any questions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Script

[SEND VIA TEXT]
As I indicated this weekend, I believe that the company should be private to go through the changes that need to be made.
After the past several days of thinking this over, I have decided I want to acquire the company and take it private.
I am going to send you an offer letter tonight, it will be public in the morning.
Are you available to chat?

[VOICE SCRIPT]
1.Best and Final:
a.I am not playing the back-and-forth game.
b.I have moved straight to the end.
c.It's a high price and your shareholders will love it.
d.If the deal doesn’t work, given that I don’t have confidence in management nor do I believe I can drive the necessary change in the public market, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.
i.This is not a threat, it's simply not a good investment without the changes that need to be made.
ii.And those changes won't happen without taking the company private.

2.My advisors and my team are available after you get the letter to answer any questions
a.There will be more detail in our public filings. After you receive the letter and review the public filings, your team can call my family office with any questions.
He even shitposted in the SEC filing. Legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom