• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People will use You Tube, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc more. Whether the platform gets more popular, or loses popularity depends if they make it about political free speech or not. If they do it will LOSE popularity, and will be insanely stupid to do. Twitter is already as free as anywhere else including this forum. If there is a campaign about that it will lose lots of value.
Of course they do, but those are a far cry to the up to the minute spotlight on me trending format that makes Twitter so desirable for them.
Twitter is already as free as anywhere else
Happy Birthday Dog GIF by Vinícius Marconato

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In reality not much is going to change if he does buy it. The hope is the paranoid freaks would see that nothing has changed and there isn't some cult of "Nazis" ready to flood the platform once Elon buys it to cause a bunch of shit.

But alas, I think it's obvious what will happen. Those who decide to stay, which will be most people because they're addicted to it, are going to blame every single shitpost on Elon, even if the platform is the exact same as it was before he bought it.

One blue hair gets ripped for some dumb take: "This place is so hateful now. It was never this way before that bigot Elon bought it"

Fake

Gold Member
In reality not much is going to change if he does buy it. The hope is the paranoid freaks would see that nothing has changed and there isn't some cult of "Nazis" ready to flood the platform once Elon buys it to cause a bunch of shit.

But alas, I think it's obvious what will happen. Those who decide to stay, which will be most people because they're addicted to it, are going to blame every single shitpost on Elon, even if the platform is the exact same as it was before he bought it.

One blue hair gets ripped for some dumb take: "This place is so hateful now. It was never this way before that bigot Elon bought it"

Was people (over Twitter) saying 'put an edit button over Twitter would probably be very big'?

Elon really want to move foward the ideia of the edit button.

I mean, I 100% think big tech should be broken up. Shame mother party in the US has the balls to encourage growth and stop consolidation.

WoJ

77% of Twitter stock is owned by institutional investors and mutual funds. Presumably they should have a fiduciary duty (depending how some of them are registered) to maximize shareholder value. I haven't really looked at the Financials of Twitter but it's a 38% bump over the price on April 1st.

If they don't take the offer he dumps the stock and it tanks the price. There are likely short sellers waiting to see if they take his deal, and if they don't they'll short the stock and tank it some more. I think shareholders could sue as well if they think the company isn't putting their interests first, and that leads to a massive sell off tanking value.

Not a good spot for Twitter to be in, but it's entertaining.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Really wish he would rush this pump n dump along. It's clogging up my news feed everytime he talks about it.

RAÏSanÏa

Elon's suggested approach to the checkmark is interesting. It's generally perceived as a type of accreditation from being connected to professional accounts that it's used by readers to quick squelch rando-noise. Real accreditation being useful for noise reduction is something a competitor could offer for a migration if twitter doesn't adapt something with Elon's proposed changes.

Aesius

I can verify that at least some Twitter employees have been brainwashed into believing that free speech is dangerous/undesirable. I have an extended family member who works at Twitter and when Mark Zuckerberg of all people was publicly pushing for free speech in late 2019, this person was apoplectic and said it has no place in modern society. I could tell that their rant was essentially just a regurgitation of what they'd been fed at work. So yeah, the idea that Elon may buy the company and stop the censorship is probably terrifying to just about every Twitter employee.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can verify that at least some Twitter employees have been brainwashed into believing that free speech is dangerous/undesirable. I have an extended family member who works at Twitter and when Mark Zuckerberg of all people was publicly pushing for free speech in late 2019, this person was apoplectic and said it has no place in modern society. I could tell that their rant was essentially just a regurgitation of what they'd been fed at work. So yeah, the idea that Elon may buy the company and stop the censorship is probably terrifying to just about every Twitter employee.
There "new" CEO has said this in interviews in the past. So it all starts at the top.

Nobody_Important

It's like a script.
To be honest at this point I wouldn't be surprised if musk really was reading off of one given how textbook everything he's done so far is when it comes to raising the stock price that he just heavily invested in.

Last edited:
Can Twitter say no to him? He's almost certainly issued a threat and the threat is 'Accept my offer or watch your stock price drop like a stone to the point where your company becomes worthless, meanwhile I'll go start a competitor.'

Billy 'buy-em out boys' Gates used this tactic to great success. Can Musk?

Nobody_Important

Can Twitter say no to him? He's almost certainly issued a threat and the threat is 'Accept my offer or watch your stock price drop like a stone to the point where your company becomes worthless, meanwhile I'll go start a competitor.'

Billy 'buy-em out boys' Gates used this tactic to great success. Can Musk?
Musk is not trying to tank Twitter he's trying to jack the stock price up as high as he can while boosting his public image by pretending to care about the little people and then he's going to dump his portion for massive profits with a "hey guys I tried! *shrug*" and then he's going to lay down on the enormous pile of cash that he just made from this little stunt.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Musk is not trying to tank Twitter he's trying to check in stock price of as high as he can while boosting his public image by pretending to care about the little people and then he's going to dump his portion for massive profits with a "hey guys I tried! *shrug*" and then he's going to lay down on the enormous pile of cash that he just made from this little stunt.
Stop thinking of one of the smartest business men in the world, would think so simplistic like you and whatever it is you read parroting this. Probably on Twitter.

The man also has Asperger's, so I genuinely believe he is one of his convictions when he sets his mind to something. His TED talk today cemented that with me.

TTOOLL

Musk is not trying to tank Twitter he's trying to jack the stock price up as high as he can while boosting his public image by pretending to care about the little people and then he's going to dump his portion for massive profits with a "hey guys I tried! *shrug*" and then he's going to lay down on the enormous pile of cash that he just made from this little stunt.

Yeah, because he REALLY needs money. Guy is a visionary, you may like him or not, but to deny facts? C'mon...

Btw, he just said at TED he has a plan B, of course he didn't disclose it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Stop thinking of one of the smartest business men in the world, would think so simplistic like you and whatever it is you read parroting this. Probably on Twitter.

The man also has Asperger's, so I genuinely believe he is one of his convictions when he sets his mind to something. His TED talk today cemented that with me.
So you genuinely believe that in his heart of hearts the richest man in the world gives two craps about what a bunch of idiots are saying on social media? And that he is willing to spend billions of dollars in his own money out of the goodness of his heart to protect the free speech of the masses (despite this not being a free speech issue)?

Come on Deep. You're smarter than that. This is about money. Not "freedom". Even if his offer is genuine and he actually did gobble up Twitter all he would do is perform surface level reforms that look good but don't actually change anything in order to drive that price even higher and then within a year or two pass it along for massive profit.

Because as you said he is a smart guy which means he's smart enough to know that unfettered free speech like the kind he is preaching about would tank the company.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you genuinely believe that in his heart of hearts the richest man in the world gives two craps about what a bunch of idiots are saying on social media? And that he is willing to spend billions of dollars in his own money out of the goodness of his heart to protect the free speech of the masses (despite this not being a free speech issue)?

Come on Deep. You're smarter than that. This is about money. Not "freedom". Even if his offer is genuine and he actually did gobble up Twitter all he would do is perform surface level reforms that look good but don't actually change anything in order to drive that price even higher and then within a year or two pass it along for massive profit.

Because as you said he is a smart guy which means he's smart enough to know that unfettered free speech like the kind he is preaching about would tank the company.
While I have reservations and do subscribe to "controlled opposition" theory on a lot of key players, I am willing to take his convictions seriously until he proves himself wrong.

The man started a company to better the environment, is working feverishly to reduce the stress on the environment with raw materials, and has always spoken out about the betterment of mankind. Regressive authoritarian tactics the ultra rich social media paradigms are more of a threat, and we've all seen these television shows and movie scripts before.

"Unfettered free speech" do tell what he means by that. His words and explaining, not what someone who interpreted and twisted his words in an article wrote.

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
You sound pretty salty, though. Are you by any chance one of those "Twitter should not allow misinformation" "twitter is a private company, they can do what they want" "they violated Twitter's TOS so that's why they were banned" crowd?

xandaca

Let's say Musk manages to buy Twitter outright and pushes it in a direction more favourable to the right. At that point, will all the left-wingers who argued that conservatives being censored is fine, because Twitter is a private company and therefore free speech rules don't apply, stick to their guns and accept the same treatment they were happy was allegedly happening to conservatives? Somehow, I have doubts.

That's why you have values you believe in because you have thought them through, rather than just following a team. The bad things you celebrate happening to others will one day come back to bite you, and then your shallowness and hypocrisy leave you without a leg to stand on.

NickFire

Convictions matter to some people. I know that can be hard to understand for some people, but it is true.

Come to think about it, the people most against this already know how important convictions can be to people. Just look at how f'd up our country has become to stop mean tweets.:poop:

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned

Yep he said today on the TED talk that economics don't come into play at all for him with Twitter. He's not out for a profit. He genuinely wants an open and free platform for duscussion.

Could Musk be looking for a well known social media platform to go along with his Starlink company? He did say years ago that he wanted to bring free, open internet to everyone on the planet.

Is the Plan B to buy Reddit or 4chan?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's say Musk manages to buy Twitter outright and pushes it in a direction more favourable to the right.
This is where we are doomed if we don't wise up.

Free speech is now a platform "of the right," when it used to be a platform for all 10+ years ago outside the extreme fringes nobody paid attention to other than to point and laugh at.
Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Yeah, because he REALLY needs money. Guy is a visionary, you may like him or not, but to deny facts? C'mon...

Btw, he just said at TED he has a plan B, of course he didn't disclose it.
You're right he doesn't need the money.

Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Morgan didn't need the money either. Didn't stop them from piling those stacks of cash to see how high they would go. Musk and his contemporaries are the modern day versions of such people. They didn't get to where they are by doing things out of the goodness of their heart. It's not about having enough. It's about how much you can get and how smart/savvy you can look while you do it.

Nobody_Important

You sound pretty salty, though. Are you by any chance one of those "Twitter should not allow misinformation" "twitter is a private company, they can do what they want" "they violated Twitter's TOS so that's why they were banned" crowd?
Yes I am a part of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom