• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Coldsnap

DJ_Lae said:
Love the facial animation (motion capture, I guess) and the cutscene direction - which I suppose makes sense given that it was all up to Serkie. The flashes are weird, though, as you get actual photos of Serkis' grinning mug, which clashes a bit with the look of the game.

Also, if I hadn't known it was him doing Monkey's voice, I would be convinced it's actually John Dimaggio, as it sounds like Marcus Fenix or someone doing their best Fenix impression.

Controls are a bit sloppy but given the look of the world and the way everythign just flows well together, I can forgive it. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Heavenly Sword, at least, probably due in no small part to an actually playable framerate in this game.

Same here, also I couldn't believe Trip is not Alex from Lost.

Alex_Linus.png

Did anyone on Earth other than me notice the quip against 3d tv's right before you climb up onto the bridge?

Monkey: "Woa what is all this stuff...."
Trip: "Nothing, just a bunch of ancient redundant technology

Also you have to look at the low-res writing on the boxes laying around that says 3d-hdtv.

I don't think I've seen that anywhere, but I haven't googled it, good stuff.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just finished the game, and I was impressed. While very simple, with only a couple of different enemies and little variation in platforming, the game is really fun. And, weirdly, I became kind of connected to Monkey and Trip.

Also, it may be a technical mess at times, but it's nowhere close to say, Bayonetta PS3 - a game that I was able to enjoy perfectly -, so the graphical problems didn't bug me that much.

The fact that I played through it over three days, when I'm not even being able to stay logged in to WoW for more than three minutes since all I can think about is the 3DS, shows that it's a quality product. I recommend it.

Duffyside

Banned
Sorry to bump, but Amazon has this game for under 20 bucks right now. Like $16.28. Thought some people might want to know, since K-Marts are not so easy to come by these days.

Also, Vanquish is like 27 dollars, which is about a third of what you should pay for mechanically the best shooter ever made.

Erasus

I just completed this on PS3 and it is one of the best action games I have played. The setting and story is amazing, the only negative I find is that the framerate can dip a bit but nothing unplayable for me. If someone is on the fence on this, get it!

Penguin

The game is pretty fun, got it for 15 bucks on GameStop's Gamer Day Sale.

I mean it leads you by the nose, but still quite the experience. Not sure how I felt about the final twist.

I'm replaying the game now to get my Platinum Trophy..... I really loved the game it had so much soul in it, NT got my attention with Heavenly Sword and with this, with Enslaved they got me as a loyal fan of their games.

Of course there are so many greater games than Enslaved..... but no game of them could make you feel "it" like Enslaved did.

I hope they make Enslaved 2 after knowing that Namco still have trust in the IP...... I want more of Monkey and Trip .

Nakiro

I don't know if there's a hitch in my game or not but I can't seem to find out how to change the costume. I beat the game, and I beat the DLC. I don't know if I'm just not looking at the right spot or there's issues with something else.

So where exactly do you go to change costumes?

Just played the game this past week, what a really fun game. I knew the story was supposed to be good going in but the VO work was incredible. While the gameplay was simple, I enjoyed it. Only major disappointment was the ending.

Collecting the Tech Orbs ATM to get the Platinum Trophy........ my god how boring and frustrating, I latterly have a headache now from moving the camera 360 every few steps to check the area :\

and the sh*tty part is... after finishing a Chapter following the video guide and you are very sure that you didn't leave anything behind, you discover that some how you did and you are stuck at 97% !!! WTF?

I hate when developers make Trophies for collecting hundreds of things like the Light Seeds in PoP 2008 and this in Enslaved..... why they do this really? do they think that this is fun? I HATE IT.

This making me appreciate the feathers in ACII and the Flags in AC:B... at less they were only 100, not more than a 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criminal Upper said:
Plus you had markers on the map in ACB, and a list of how many feathers were in ACII.

and plus PoP 2008 areas are divided so it's easier to know how much left out and how much you collected.... you don't have to wait to finish THE WHOLE CHAPTER to be shocked that you left some out!!

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhh..... I would be very very happy when I'm done with THIS.

Frankfurt

Banned
Tried finding a 360 copy with the Monkey King outfit DLC to no avail. Can only find robot Trip DLC. Should I just give up or there's some other way to get it?

Thanks!

mrpeabody

I pulled this out of the backlog recently. Really enjoyed it.

PROS

- God, it's pretty. Every new area is a feast.
- Great VO all around, especially Trip and Monkey
- Combat is serviceable
- The Cloud is a lot of fun

CONS

- Ending is hamhanded and contradictory; some plot points don't ring true.
- Driving cutscenes are ugly for some reason.

Nothing mindblowing, just a solid game with great graphics and voices. A strong 8.5 from me.

I will probably buy the DLC. Giant Bomb was talking it up as one of the best of 2010.

LQX

Finally finished it today. I liked it especially early on when you were in the city and all of it was overgrown. Shame they diverged so much from that setting. Later levels were not that interesting at all. You expect a game to get better looking not worse.

Loved the story and almost romance but the ending was terrible and felt so lifeless fighting machines and a big giant spider. This game needed a actual "evil bad guy".

Enjoyable but the later levels were a let down. Will hold on to it though until the DLC goes on sale.

matmanx1

Finished this today and actually enjoyed the first half of the game far more than the second half. There's some great stuff about the game but the flaws and the way the ending was handled really sort of ruined it for me. I'm glad I only paid $20 for it because at $60 I would have been very upset.

This game felt like an alpha-version rather than a final release. I still shake my head to think that they actually released it in this state and expected us to pay good money for it. There was a good game there somewhere but the framerate and responsiveness of the controls were so awful that I don't think I ever actually got the chance to experience it.

AppleBlade

Just got the game from Gamefly and I am enjoying it thus far.

Any tips for easy achievements that I can pick up without going to much out of my way (i.e. I am not playing it more than once and I do not want to have to resort to any kind of guide to find stuff).

btw, I'll post my final verdict when I finish it.

slider

I just ordered this as it was in my Amazon recommendations. £12. Not bad at all (of course I can't say that for sure until I play it).

A side effect of realising I don't have Portal 2 which was my original order intention.

I am currently stuck in this, the amount of mechs in the current battle is totally stupid making my progress hit a concrete wall.

I am
on Chapter 6 (I think), and we have just left the city on his bike and headed towards girlies home town. The whole place is fucked and empty and we have just been split up. Monkey has to get to the next watch tower and the endless stream of mechs is just laughable. I have gotten past the first bit (I had to run past them), but the next part which is gated off is full of mech after mech. I really can't cope with all of the enemies, is madness! :D

I can't see where I need to go, does the wooden gate open for me at some point?

Loudninja

KennyLinder said:
I am currently stuck in this, the amount of mechs in the current battle is totally stupid making my progress hit a concrete wall.

I am
on Chapter 6 (I think), and we have just left the city on his bike and headed towards girlies home town. The whole place is fucked and empty and we have just been split up. Monkey has to get to the next watch tower and the endless stream of mechs is just laughable. I have gotten past the first bit (I had to run past them), but the next part which is gated off is full of mech after mech. I really can't cope with all of the enemies, is madness! :D

I can't see where I need to go, does the wooden gate open for me at some point?
Yes you have to beat all the enemies first and open the gate yourself.

scorpscarx said:
Did anyone on Earth other than me notice the quip against 3d tv's right before you climb up onto the bridge?

Monkey: "Woa what is all this stuff...."
Trip: "Nothing, just a bunch of ancient redundant technology

Also you have to look at the low-res writing on the boxes laying around that says 3d-hdtv.

I don't think I've seen that anywhere, but I haven't googled it, good stuff.

Yea just got there myself. Classic!

Just beat the game, and whoa...that ending was unexpected.

I really liked it though. I had been playing a lot of RPGs lately, so the shortness didn't bother me any...I felt like the game was challenging, but forgiving to the player.

Really nice experience...I think I liked it more than Heavenly Sword.

Just got my Platinum.... took me more than a month because collecting orbs felt so freaking annoying and depressing :\

I pushed myself so hard to collect all of them, damn I wish developers stop making collectable trophies.... trophies should be fun and exciting not a pain in the *** :\

anyway... hope Namco were honest when they said they still have an interest for this IP... because I want more of Enslaved.

Completed it tonight, not sure if I'll go back and get the orbs and remaining masks.

The game was alright, but performance and lack of polish killed the game. There were many times when the framerate was so bad it affected gameplay and when its in a fast game like this, that's a very bad thing. It's also very unpolished with glitches and bugs all over the place, it looks really nasty at times. Not cool. In some ways its not a million miles off of the quality of Uncharted, but then in others it is.

Just got up to chapter 6. So far it feels like Uncharted in a (beautiful) post-apocalyptic setting.

- I love, love, love the vibrant colour scheme. Destroyed NYC looks more beautiful in this game than it does in real life.
- Monkey and Trip have a great chemistry and their relationship is evolving in a really believable way. I love their banter and even though I'm not invested in the overall story or enigma codings, their journey together is all I need to push me forwards.
- The platforming is very simplistic, but it's on such an epic scale I don't care. Escaping falling cranes, crossing a destroyed Brooklyn Bridge, etc etc... just incredibly cinematic.
- Trip isn't a hindrance at all so far and hopefully it will stay that way.

On the downside, I don't find the combat interesting at all and the mech enemies are boring. But hey, the ratio of platforming to combat has been roughly 75:25 at the moment, so it's not too bad.

I've just go to
Trip's village on my bike
so I'm not too far in, but it's making a great first impression. I just hope that now I'm
out of NYC the beautiful landscapes won't go away. I've spent so much time stood still just looking in the distance... truly stunning. I wish it was on PC!

Ending was shit.

First half of the game was the best, but I got a big Beyond Good and Evil vibe during the second half and it's only the fact the environments weren't so interesting after you meet Pigsy that brought my enjoyment down a bit really. The framerate definitely suffered in the later levels too.

I enjoyed it a lot, all in all. Is the Pigsy DLC worth 800pts?

Blu10

Just borrowed this from my friend, and I've run into a very strange glitch. I am in chapter 9 and I just got my first achievement (for collecting 1/2 the tech orbs). I don't have any of the achievements for chapters 1-8, and now every mech I kill I get an achievement called Mech Murderer for 15 pts. Anyone else run into something weird like this?

No45

The Praiseworthy said:
I pushed myself so hard to collect all of them, damn I wish developers stop making collectable trophies.... trophies should be fun and exciting not a pain in the *** :\
As long as getting around is fun and the game gives you a means of tracking your progress (even a rudimentary system like Infamous) I don't have an issue with these. Enslaved gives you nothing to work with, that's what stopped me from going for the orbs and then on to the platinum.

Blu10

Seriously I may have to stop playing this game, unless I want to have my achievements reset. Each mech is increasing my gamer score by 15 points.

I played this game last year and have fond memories of it. It's a much better game than heavenly sword, though that's not saying a whole lot. I thought that the landscapes were a joy to behold and the gameplay was competent enough. I'm waiting for the dlc to go on sale before I give it a chance. The animation work they did on this game is probably the most impressive stuff outside of L.A. Noire. You guys should really pick it up for cheap and give it a go.

03sho

Blu10 said:
Seriously I may have to stop playing this game, unless I want to have my achievements reset. Each mech is increasing my gamer score by 15 points.

Hmmm what a weird glitch! Any chance of a video?

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I played this game last year and have fond memories of it. It's a much better game than heavenly sword, though that's not saying a whole lot. I thought that the landscapes were a joy to behold and the gameplay was competent enough. I'm waiting for the dlc to go on sale before I give it a chance. The animation work they did on this game is probably the most impressive stuff outside of L.A. Noire. You guys shod really pick it up for cheap and give it a go.

I bought it last week! Up to chapter 5, I'm really enjoying it.

Blu10

I have no way to video capture. I started the game the first time. Got an update, and then started playing. At chapter 5 I texted my friend about the no achievements and he said they come at the end. Got to chapter 9 and I exited to the dashboard, and then started it back up. After collecting 3 tech orbs I got the only achievement that is showing up in the game. After that every mech I kill gives me 15 gamer score with the Mech Murderer achievement, which btw I don't even see in the in game achievement list.

I really miss this game since I don't have a ps3 anymore, something about it's world is really attractive to me.

The combat to me is also really fun, too bad it will never come out on PC.

When you first get to those red vines/flowers... beautiful.

Goldrusher

Played this over the past couple of days.

Artistically it's a masterpiece, technically a disaster.
Fun game though, reminded me a bit of inFamous. The destroyed locations, the mech/robot enemies, the shooting, etc.

Top Bottom