• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games officially removes building from Fortnite

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Played my very first fortnite match ever, and I won lol; these kids dunno what to do without building.
Grats its a rush winning that first.

This is how they suck you in though your first 4 or 5 matches either being brand new or even after taking several months off they put you in lobbies with bots and maybe one or two other people.

After you get a win or two things will ramp up really fast

Kagey K

Banned
Don’t get too excited, when the base fans cry bloody murder they’ll revert this change and say it was “only a trial for the season”.
Not even for the season. Since the seasonal challenges this week are about getting building turned back on, it's likely to come back as early as next Tues (The 29th)

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
awesome! i suck at building but still managed to enjoy the game. despite what people say it you didn't HAVE to build to win. maybe if you were really competitive but for the average player it didn't really matter.

edit: urgh looks like it's just a limited time thing. well done OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is actually huge in a good way. Game was amazing before building was so meta. Taking it out completely might be a little much though, seems like a cool down would've been good enough so people dont spam.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

So, since I worked on this, that's just a new mode introduced this season.
The game is just gonna have both modes from now on.
But to be honest, internally, we were panicked from the repercussions of the war theme and we couldn't change it anyway.
There are actually some other competitive thoughts being pondered currently, stay tuned
I wouldn’t mind another flood if taking suggestions. That was amazing last season.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
1. Land in tank.
2. Search for gas tanks.
3. Search for repair torch.
4. Win.

This seems to be an effective strategy but I'm not sure if it's going to be fun long term. Looking for that repair torch is annoying AF and getting kills doesn't feel nearly as rewarding, in part, because enemy loot is basically useless. The only thing that matters is gas and keeping tank at full health.

UnNamed

Banned
I'm not used to Forntnite, but removing buildings isn't like erase its own essence? Forntnite was meant to be about build and shoot, or else it is a cartooney shooter.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Huh. Makes me actually wanna try the thing again. I understand the appeal of ADHD-level building as a tactic, I just never liked it personally.

Hoppa

I’ve never played FN but this part of the game has always been what stood out to me the most. Looks cool but I know I don’t have the patience to learn how to do it

Valonquar

Getting to final 4 and losing to someone that instantly builds a skyscraper was the worst part of the game. I haven't touched it in years.

Javthusiast

Banned
my time GIF

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I'm not used to Forntnite, but removing buildings isn't like erase its own essence? Forntnite was meant to be about build and shoot, or else it is a cartooney shooter.
Fortnite was meant to be Save The World which still exists and in it you built forts to defend against waves of zombie things.

The battle royale took the building because that's what Fortnite had but It didn't really need to keep it. Epic could've ditched the building before they released Battle Royale. They didn't and that's what made it unique.

I can't see them ever removing building completely but I do wish they'd make a permanent no build mode. So far whenever they've removed building it has been only temporary.

Batiman

Banned
I hate the building aspect of it and haven’t played for years. My son still plays and isn’t too big on the building aspect. Him and my nephews are hating the game now though

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Getting to final 4 and losing to someone that instantly builds a skyscraper was the worst part of the game. I haven't touched it in years.
i agree that's annoying but that's not always the end game. you can play and win without building. i suck at building and only use the building for making ramps to get up hills or ontop of buildings. if i had to build to win then i'd never have won at all but i have won.
I hate the building aspect of it and haven’t played for years. My son still plays and isn’t too big on the building aspect. Him and my nephews are hating the game now though
i can imagine kids hating it because they can't twitch build stuff. my little cousin is freaking out with the update and hates it too :messenger_tears_of_joy: he was always running about constantly swapping his weapons, jumping about, and building shit.

The thing us, I don't know why they couldn't have just had a separate battle royal mode without building. But maybe they felt nobody would play it & no build matches would never be populated much as the traditional mode and didn't bother, who knows.

I hope this forces them to consider it, There must've been a reason why they decided to take away the most defining feature of the game though...

Fbh

Might have made me consider trying it out again. I downloaded it a few years ago when it started to get really popular and hated the building.
But if it's only for the first 9 days I'll continue to pass.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I may actually try it out again now. I pretty much detest battle royale games, but I admit Fortnite at least offered some goofy fun that separated it from the rest of the pack - I just hated how every time I spotted someone they instantly built the fucking Eiffel Tower between us and lorded over me from its heights. I was like, can't we just fucking shoot or club each other? Do we have to run around throwing up fabrications? This ain't Minecraft.

Maybe I'll play it on PS5. I have spent so much time in my home office playing Elden Ring on my PC in there that just walking by the door I can smell myself in there.

zeorhymer

So a unique aspect of the game gets....removed. Might be a short term gain...might not. Now it's a 3rd person br with collab skins.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I used to think the building was annoying, and wrecked the end game, it put me off playing for ages because I had zero interest in learning to master it out even engaging with the system.

Recently I got back into the game, playing with my son and realised that these twats were just building to compensate for lack of skills with guns and general tactical awareness. There have been a handful of endgame where some genuinely skilled builders have made it hard for us, but in general it was just an easy way for us to identify where they were and deal with them.

That said, I still welcomed removal of building as it played even more into my style. However it has been replaced by people spamming vehicles (tanks) in the end game, something that used to plague PUBG and caused me to give up on it. I'm pretty sure these clowns can probably be dealt with with some well placed explosives, but I'd rather they just weren't in the game at all.

Like others have said, these are all experiments and Epic will no doubt pivot based on sentiment and what keeps people interested in the fans, so it will all change over time.

The Alien

Banned
Don't particularly care (haven't played in a while), but it is a massive shift see it was a big differentiator between other shooters.

With it now removed, it'll play similar to other shooters that I'd probably prefer to play.

Banned
Don't particularly care (haven't played in a while), but it is a massive shift see it was a big differentiator between other shooters.

With it now removed, it'll play similar to other shooters that I'd probably prefer to play.

it still has all the zany items, dynamic map objects and NPCs that make it quite different still even without the building.

I hope they being building back in a completely new way. the current meta was just not fun whatsoever. the fights often grinded to a halt and turned into wall punching and editing fights instead of gunfights.
the game slowly evolved into this extremely slow build-off game where in order to compete you need to know how to properly set up your controls and how to optimally place buildings...

over time the strategies became more and more optimised, leading to a way of engaging fights that felt more and more static and void of creativity... it was like speed chess where you google the optimal startegies instead of playing for the moment to moment gameplay.

which is why I hope they will bring it back in a completely new way ay I said.
they should make building very limited and into an ability you use like any other item or weapon to shift the momentum of the fight or for a fast block/counter.
but the era of build-fights and googling button mappings and optimal counters and build combos has to end!

Banned
i looked it up, apparently for new players, 75/100 are bots
I'm sure they fill it up with bots, but there was chatting in that little pre-moment before you drop (dunno what it's called).

you can easily tell if you kill a bot. look if you see a little eye icon on the edge of the screen (I think bottom left).
that icon shows how many dead players are watching you currently. if you kill someone that icon should show up for at least a few seconds until they either leave the match or find a new one.

if you kill someone and that doesn't show up it was a bot.

bots are usually really easy to spot too tho. at least they were when building was still in as they had weird behaviour with that.

back when they first introduced bots they were also in high level lobbies for some reason and it was fucking annoying... it seemed they always had at least 10 to 20 bots in every match just to get it to start faster. they turned that off now thankfully it seems (at least I personally haven't seen any bots this season and I haven't played that much lately, so no idea when or how exactly they adjusted bots)

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Played some games, pretty fun without building. Unlike Apex I can actually hit a lot of shots so it makes me feel like less of a shitter. Seems like the non-building mechanics have improved a bit since last time I played... though at least half the items I have no idea what they are or what they do. Game runs like a dream on my PC, 200+ fps, 1440p, looks nice... but the default settings were pretty wack.

Hoping for it to be a permanent mode, one would think they have the playerbase to split the queue.

BadBurger

I played four duo matches, won three of them (thanks to my random partner, you the man Torres1989). Definitely easier to get kills than I remember. Ran a few peeps over with a car. I found it far more enjoyable than I remember, and will probably drop in for matches once in a while like I do with Fall Guys or Chivalry 2.

The third party IP tie-ins are weird - they're like "here's the Daily Bugle! See the Spider-Man webs?!", and it's just some old three story generic office building with nothing of note inside. Then at other times the game feels like a Free Guy, sensory overload of tightly crafted marketing that I have to admit, if I was a teenager or possibly even in my early 20's with some money I would have ended up buying a bunch of dumb shit like the Dr Strange skin.

It's an interesting situation. Pros and cons for both. Fascinating to watch how Epic manages Fortnite.

I love cranking 90s but only do light editing. I have enjoyed no builds for the past few days, but then last night we had a couple of hours on BHE and I realised how deep and complex building was. Once you get half decent at building, removing it seems like an exercise in dumbing down for mass appeal.

Plus building has only been removed in Battle Royal, other modes like Arena (competitive) still has building

The luxury Epic has it that Fortnite is so big and brings in so much revenue they have the ability of continuously developing the experience, so even with a temporary removal of building that sweats may frown upon Epic packs in so much different content that still keeps everyone playing.

BadBurger

I put in another several hours. Kind of addictive. It is definitely so much better now. I hope they leave building only to PvE and that Rumble mode. Solo, duo, trio, and squad gameplay is now all so much better.

Top Bottom