• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games officially removes building from Fortnite

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I put in another several hours. Kind of addictive. It is definitely so much better now. I hope they leave building only to PvE and that Rumble mode. Solo, duo, trio, and squad gameplay is now all so much better.
I agree that after putting in two fairly long play sessions it's really fun. I don't think building going away from BR permanently is realistic, I would think the backlash would be nuts.

Hopefully they make the call to add a no-build queue because you've got to think they have the playerbase to do it without murdering queue times. But we'll see. If building's back, I'm out, even my keybinds at this point just assume that building functionality isn't there.

Filben

So now they need to improve drastically the gunplay.

As much as I hate building in any BR or online shooter, what other qualities had Fortnite to begin with? Sure players didn't play it because of the amazing gunfights and feel of the weapons.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

As much as I hate building in any BR or online shooter, what other qualities had Fortnite to begin with? Sure players didn't play it because of the amazing gunfights and feel of the weapons.

I think they do a pretty good job of balancing it given they're trying to foster an environment with everyone from children playing on old mobile phones to tryhards on gaming PC's. It feels competitive whether I am on my PS5 with a controller or on my PC with mouse and keyboard.

Edit: one thing I noticed is a lot of players are clearly using a common cheat that makes them immediately snap target someone near them and build a wall between them in Rumble mode. It's just another reason to do away with building. That seems like an extremely easy thing to script in a cheat to me. And if Epic still hasn't fixed the issue to this day, then just let players get away from the farming bots that exploit it.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member

The one thing that struck me was just how much PUBG DNA there still is in this game. The bandage to 75 health thing. The massive penalties to accuracy for trying to fire on the move. The full-auto bloom making it impossible to full auto spray people at any distance. PUBG just has punishing recoil which you can control and make some crazy shots, but I think the idea is kind of the same. Warzone and Apex are the perfect accuracy while sprinting and sliding crackhead games.

My gunfights have been pretty fun, aside from a couple of weapons. The SMGs seem really bad. Shotguns are fun but the auto-shottie versus the others doesn't seem fair. The ARs and sniper are pretty fun to use, except you don't really seem to get the one shot headshot kills for sniping in this game or mode... not sure if that's a function of the overshield (is that in the normal mode w/ building?) or if my sniper was just too low tier.

Aiming is de-emphasized compared to the aforementioned crackhead games, but good aim, patience, and positioning pay off here. In that sense it feels more like a real BR than Warzone or Apex to me at the moment.

Last edited:

dan76

I had a few games the other night, first time playing for about a year. Way better without the building, and I like the TDK. It's not whoever shoots first gets it, though I did keep on getting pummelled by a tank.

Kabelly

I've gotten really into the game since the gyro update. Came in at a great time too since we got no builds now.

SZips

I know at least five more people started playing because of the addition of the no-build mode: My four friends and me.

I had tried Fortnite ages ago. I even had the PvE stuff before the battle royale came along and ruined that (was given a key by Epic for review once it was "done." We know how that turned out...). I tried like two rounds of the battle royale after it came out and yeah, wasn't a fan of the building. Never touched the game again for years.

Had one friend just dead set against playing it because of the building mechanics. This change got him, and really all of us, to try it out for the "first" time. It's pretty fun. I do wish sprint wasn't limited, or at least limited a lot less than it is. We're coming off of Apex, so it's a little annoying. Still, we'll definitely be playing more of it.

bitbydeath

Boom!
After Fortnite Chapter 3, Season 2 began by taking the building mechanics out of the fight--and the idea became very popular--Epic Games has decided to make the no-build format a permanent mode called Fortnite Zero Build. Alongside that, game modes featuring building are still playable in arena and creative, though there's no word yet on when (if ever?) building will return to the game's public battle royale lobbies.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
heck yeah! ill be playing the shit out fortnite now. i played it for a few days at the start of every season but with this ill probably be playing daily. no building has been super fun.

manfestival

decided to check it out a couple days ago with some friends. It is actually really fun and everyone is a sweat lord god. However, the sheer appeal and craziness of the game is totally there. I get why people are endlessly hooked on this. Gotta get used to the mechanics since I have become really accustomed to apex legends. Which means.... I have accidentally knocked myself from fall damage in fortnite

Reactions: Isa
lol the thread doesn't mention shit (yeah i've read it). if R Reizo Ryuu R Reizo Ryuu played their first fortnite match then they were playing against bots. So what's your problem?
Sounds like you're blind:
i know you want to be a mod but stop acting like one
I don't even know who you are, but it sounds like you like stalking people.

iorek21

Game became much more intense with the No Build Mode. The environment becomes a defensive tool.

Although I enjoy building, the match dynamics are totally different, and I'd say it's better without building.

nikos

Add me to the list of people who started playing since building was removed. Having fun with the game. Wonder if this started as an elaborate April Fools joke and ended up a success.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Game became much more intense with the No Build Mode. The environment becomes a defensive tool.

Although I enjoy building, the match dynamics are totally different, and I'd say it's better without building.

Me and my duo have found the opposite to be the case.

Fortnite is The Predator for us. All the sweaty kids who can build the Taj Mahal literally look like this...

pred3.gif

The only way we kill them is by having insanely superior position or tricking them to come into traps.

19cba2089e3bfa5df92a7027157b3be697ae45ad.gifv

We haven't played in a week because we're The Predator when we jump into a tank and kill players caught with their pants down. There's no Demons Souls bosses in the game anymore, just Goombas we hop on and move past.

iorek21

Fortnite is The Predator for us. All the sweaty kids who can build the Taj Mahal literally look like this...

pred3.gif

The only way we kill them is by having insanely superior position or tricking them to come into traps.

We haven't played in a week because we're The Predator when we jump into a tank and kill players caught with their pants down. There's no Demons Souls bosses in the game anymore, just Goombas we hop on and move past.

Yeah, I get you. I usually play in stealth mode when building is on, now everything is more leveled, it's like a cartoon Battlefield.

But I have to say that I'm happy with this new direction, it's like a different game all together.

Danknugz

the building is what made me stop playing it like 5 years ago but i'm too old for this shit now, hard to feel like a grown man playing this game.

bitbydeath

pred3.gif

I used to keep firefly jars on standby, now it's explosives.
Different beast but now at least you can see the tanks coming.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
I've been enjoying the game, since last season started. I prefer no building, rarely used it myself save for getting around in a pinch. My friends also bounced off this after about a year and a half of playing BR when it launched cause they got sick of the build spamming. But they came back, its impressive the pull that has. Currently I'd like to see some more weapons added for variety, it feels pretty limited so far. I like the bases and Elite npcs and weapon drops, just wish there were a few more for added spice and options. Also I miss the ATV, and that Guzzle Juice healing item. I love the slide as its still something I use all the time, and the sprint is so great to have. I like that it doesn't feel like such a drag to get to the circle if you've chosen a far out location.

My only other nitpick would to have a slightly higher TTK cause good god its so easy to melt players I feel bad doing it lol. Anything with a high rate of fire tends to win out short-mid range unless the player messes up. Anyway its been fun. Now if only they'd put in that emote I've been wanting and checking daily for what feels like years...

Tams

i liked the building, but it is ultimately why I stopped playing. I could build pretty well on PC, but using a controller... no. But it just got boring having people immediately tower and edit kill.

I've played a lot more recently. Actually using the environment.

And I know it's not that new, but being able to use almost any vehicle is very nice. That was one of my major complaints before hand.

The tanks can be taken out pretty easily if you know what you're doing, especially with the new 'NLAWs' (fucking kek - get fucked Russian players).

There do seem to still be too many bots though.

Top Bottom