• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA Officially Announces "Evolution" of E3 Expo (aka: cancelled! *wink*)

Suerte

element said:
but who gets invited to these events? 10 maybe 20 people? I have been to these events, and they are just you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours while you wine and dine me in some posh hotel. Major press doesn't report on these events because no one cares about one single game, and even the larger ones like EA's recent event didn't get anything from the AP.

I'm happy that smaller sites, who mostly work extremely hard for their stories, had a place to work their magic. And now we don't have that access, because companies are going to restrict as much as possible. no filming at the event, here is your 3 screenshots, you can only write about this character, and only this mission.

I'm talking about things like X06, Spaceworld, but I suppose I can see where you're coming from.

Mashing

I wonder if this will prompt the console manufacturers to have their own conferences (Spaceworld, X0whatever, whatever Sony has)?

Suerte

Mashing said:
I wonder if this will prompt the console manufacturers to have their own conferences (Spaceworld, X0whatever, whatever Sony has)?

They pretty much do already anyway?

BuddyC

Amir0x said:
but what about GAF drunk meetups :(
It's sad, but much like E3, I'm sure they'll continue in some shape or form.

PR said:
To better address the needs of today's global computer and video game industry, the 2007 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo) is evolving into a more intimate event focused on targeted, personalized meetings and activities, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.
It'd gotten to the point where most of the really cool stuff, the stuff really worth covering, was either shown behind closed doors or not even shown at E3 anyways, so this shift isn't all that surprising. But just as this will make work easier for some, it'll make things all the much harder for others, which I'll admit is rough, but that's the way these things work. It's always crap for someone, the load just gets shifted once in a while.

Still, I'm happy to see the event refocus than continue on its current dual-show format, having a booth for the general attendee with "safe" titles and showing everything else to a select few behind closed doors. It just so happens this makes things cheaper and easier to cover as well.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I always hate when it's called E3Expo... Cause E3Expo = Electronic Entertainment Expo Expo. It's like people saying SAT Test. But I'll be sad that E3 is gone. It's always so exciting. But I understand it's probably hell for people actually in the industry. Oh well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gamespot is taking quotes on the impact to LA:

Attorney Daniel Offner of Offner and Anderson, P.C., a law firm that lists numerous E3 exhibitors as clients past and present, thinks not. "I'd be surprised if the city took this lying down," Offner told GameSpot. "I'm sure the city will take a close look at their rights and try and protect them."

Nettabai Ahmed, president of Los Angeles' Independent Taxi, said E3 provided an unparalleled boost to his driver's income each year.

"The youngsters spend a lot of money and they don't stay in one space," Ahmed said. "For taxis, it was really a good convention for us. … A regular convention boosts the driver's income by about 25-30 percent. But E3, it goes up to 50 percent boost in their income."

Also..

Additionally, sources have come forward to update GameSpot as to how the ESA will recoup funds derived from the show itself--funds based on fees to exhibit as well as on-site marketing options. Those sources said a number of major publishers have agreed to pay the ESA as much as $5 million each, in effect, making up for revenues lost. A second source mentioned Sony, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, and THQ as publishers most interested in the show being downsized.

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but they're going to shell out multi-millions each..to avoid spending multi-millions on flashy booths? Why not just have the proper show then?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154935.html

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
GO TO HELL GOVERMENT!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

"I'd be surprised if the city took this lying down," Offner told GameSpot. "I'm sure the city will take a close look at their rights and try and protect them."

Unless the ESA has a previous contract to hold the event there until a certain year, what exactly can they do about this? Force companies that don't want to hold an event to do it anyway?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mooreberg said:

Unless the ESA has a previous contract to hold the event there until a certain year, what exactly can they do about this? Force companies that don't want to hold an event to do it anyway?

Now that you mention it, I recall that the ESA did lease out the LA Convention Center until the year 2012.

CloudNL

Nettabai Ahmed, president of Los Angeles' Independent Taxi, said E3 provided an unparalleled boost to his driver's income each year.

"The youngsters spend a lot of money and they don't stay in one space," Ahmed said. "For taxis, it was really a good convention for us. … A regular convention boosts the driver's income by about 25-30 percent. But E3, it goes up to 50 percent boost in their income."

This man is spreaking the truth!
We took a taxi from Hollywood to Malibu. 130 dollar. N-E-V-E-R A-G-A-I-N, there's nothing in Malibu, except a big rock! :lol

BTW: We took the bus instead of a taxi when we went back to the hotel! :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mooreberg said:

that'd be pretty damn interesting to see happen. heh

We still have GC and some sort of TGS. :(

Gah. I know people who've been to E3 are glad about this, but for people who didn't go, it was a fun thing to follow. I hope what some people are saying about the press conferences still being the same is true, but I'm not sure anymore.

Why does the industry hate its fans. :(

GhostSeed

I wonder what registration is going to look like next year? Media and VIP retailers only?
Will they crackdown on fan site media?

ZeoVGM

Banned
as long as there is a VERSION of E3 next May, we'll still more than likely get the press conferences, which are the most exciting part of E3.

Tiktaalik

It's clear that some companies weren't happy that their message was drowned out in the noise of E3, but it'll be interesting to see if companies just let each other have their little allotment of media attention. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft scheduled big announcements during Sony's media day or likewise with other competing companies. Maybe we'll get little mini E3's anyway.

Edit: The biggest thing I'll miss are the YouTube full length demo playthrough movies.

CloudNL

Zaxxon said:
It's clear that some companies weren't happy that their message was drowned out in the noise of E3, but it'll be interesting to see if companies just let each other have their little allotment of media attention. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft scheduled big announcements during Sony's media day or likewise with other competing companies. Maybe we'll get little mini E3's anyway.

Mini E3's is no mainstream coverage.
Do you think CNN will cover a EA event? Hell no!

CloudNL said:
The next time I see CNN's Chris Morris at EA, I will let him know that he's not supposed to be there. Good work!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
EA has commented and informed IGN that it will be taking place in July next year (students rejoice).

http://psp.ign.com/articles/722/722058p1.html

Publishers such as Capcom and Electronic Arts have already announced their support for the new format. Electronic Arts told IGN that it is "very supportive" of the show's new approach, and plans to participate next July.

"When the show began 12 years ago, it was a great opportunity to meet with buyers, media and partners," an EA spokesperson explained. "Over time though, the timing has become disruptive to the studios and the costs have become expensive.

"The July event is less disruptive to our development schedule. We think that software shown in July will be a more accurate reflection of the games that will appear in stores later that year."

Pakkidis

Sources have revealed to GameSpot that several publishers--including Sony, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, and THQ--were among those pushing hardest for changes to the event. The companies' motives were monetary in origin. Various estimates put the total amount spent by exhibitors at E3 2006 as over $50 million. Using the ESA's booth-space rental rates, the cost of floor space alone at the event was nearly $12.5 million.

Gee, I wonder why they would pull out of E3, I wonder ESA, Why? Lets think about this.

*sarcasm off*

Zenith

Banned
I'm stunned at the sense of entitlement they have, as if E3 was somehow for them, whether they went there or not, and that this is somehow going to ruin everything.

It's times like this we see the gulf between "the masses" and the pedestal some media folk have put themselves on.

mcdonnell

I think EA is referring to its July media event, Hot Summer Nights. This makes it sound like EA will skip E3 completely and just have its own July media event.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mcdonnell said:
I think EA is referring to its July media event, Hot Summer Nights. This makes it sound like EA will skip E3 completely and just have its own July media event.

The bit before it suggests that they're referring to the new format E3:

Publishers such as Capcom and Electronic Arts have already announced their support for the new format. Electronic Arts told IGN that it is "very supportive" of the show's new approach, and plans to participate next July.

My guess is they won't have their own shindig in the summer next year, and just roll it into this.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CloudNL said:

They were in NYC a few weeks ago just for freakin' Madden.

I'm not even fully vested as a journo (part time work for fun) and it's a load off my mind. I imagine most of the real dudes echo BuddyC's sentiment.

donny2112

gofreak said:
Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but they're going to shell out multi-millions each..to avoid spending multi-millions on flashy booths? Why not just have the proper show then?

Time is money. If they don't have to devote the time to E3, it saves them manhours (I guess). e.g. EA is already having their own shows, so it's not an extra burden in time/money for them.

I don't see how Nintendo is going to have a big conference in the U.S.A. anymore, unless their increased presence at GDC is to offset this.

Zenith

Banned
Wellington said:
I'm not even fully vested as a journo (part time work for fun) and it's a load off my mind. I imagine most of the real dudes echo BuddyC's sentiment.

I can't believe you're ok with the most exciting gaming event of the year going down the drain just because you're too lazy to do the legwork. If you're really that incapable of doing your job then maybe you're in the wrong business.

Zenith said:
I can't believe you're ok with the most exciting gaming event of the year going down the drain just because you're too lazy to do the legwork. If you're really that incapable of doing your job then maybe you're in the wrong business.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW.

Klocker

Zenith said:

unless my sarcasm detector is shut off....

get a grip

Does anyone else think this is a sign that 2007-2008 might be contraction years? I doubt "evolving" E3 will lead to the same amount of exposure and announcements, spread out evenly over the year. Won't a smaller audience mean there is less attention to compete for, and therefore fewer reasons to show more than what is absolutely necessary?

Angelcurio

Good bye Booth Babes :(

TGS was better anyway :(

I will really miss the press-conferences.

Now i wonder when and where will be the playable version of MGS4 be shown?

skip

Zenith said:

1. bitter dev whose game got a bad review score

2. disgruntled web writer who got turned away at IGN/GS/1UP

3. jerk, in general.

203142179_6767cef248.jpg

Sallokin

I'm going to miss the general excitement that tends to permeate throughout the web during E3, but I'm really excited to see how some of these company focused events pan out.

Is it going to end up being more platform specific? Like the big three holding their own events showcasing their upcoming titles? Or is it going to be left up to the individual companies to take care of themselves?

fallout

Zenith said:
I'm not going to speak on Wellington's behalf, but do you know what it's like to do work in an environment like that? It is honestly the equivalent of trying to study the physics of amusement rides at Disneyland. You wait in line behind sweaty teenagers for 30 minutes or more just to get at what you want, which you only get for 5 minutes, anyway. So you're then forced to go wait in line again just so you can touch up on what little you managed to write down.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Welp, thar she goes.

<---- my farewell memento to E3.

Goodbye, E3 trips. I blame store employees.

disco

i disagree, what makes videogames and in turn e3 is the insane following's passion for it, look at all major videogame journalists, can you actually see them all sat in a meeting room in a suit!? no, it's just no the same without the ness tattoos and bionic commando t-shirts x

CloudNL said:
This man is spreaking the truth!
We took a taxi from Hollywood to Malibu. 130 dollar. N-E-V-E-R A-G-A-I-N, there's nothing in Malibu, except a big rock! :lol

BTW: We took the bus instead of a taxi when we went back to the hotel! :lol

Yeah, cabs got like insanely high fees.

All I took was one cab last year from LAX to Downtown to get my freakin badge.

at least they had a standard fee of 35$.

If I ever go back, I'm renting a car.

Archer

This change shows that the publishers are more interested in making money in the short term rather than building longevity in the industry by cultivating a relationship with their audience (a symbiotic relationship). This is their cost/benefit analysis. This, to no surprise, is what business is all about. The problem with this idea is that, in the long run, gamers will not have a place to congregate like they did. There will be less energy in the products that drive consumers to go out into the market and get the latest products. We will grow old, perhaps mature, and perhaps leave our interest in the industry in our past.

In the end, this decision is not profitable.

etiolate

Banned
There is a danger to this. Yes, e3 crowds were ridiculous and it seemed they let just anybody in, but on the good side... they let just anybody in.

A more controlled enviroment could equal a more controlled media, a more controlled PR. It could make it a lot easier to sell shit on a stick. If you have random people, you can't do this because they'll just state what they see. The press, oh dear especially the gaming press, will swallow your company bull if you give them attention. As much as e3 may be a fustercluck these days, they could be looking to screw over the consumer with this.

Top Bottom