• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN replaces Sage Steele with Michelle Beadle as new host of NBA coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what the deal is with that birdman video. I don't appreciate protests that block roads, etc... so I don't get why that was a big deal either.

If you can read that entire link (and all the receipts inside) and STILL not "get what the big deal" is...then you never will get it.

Calion

VPeV6Xb.png

Sage Steele has the ideology of a white supremacist and thinks she is a special negro. It's sad.

Watch Hidden Colors 3 & 4 if one wants to be informed on this subject.

Surfinn

Steele is not "gone". She is at espn still.

I don't get what the deal is with that birdman video. I don't appreciate protests that block roads, etc... so I don't get why that was a big deal either.

I like Michelle Beadle though so good.

You don't understand why people protested at airports in regard to the travel ban?

As a father of biracial kids, I am very anxious about any colorism my children might face so I have some sympathy for Sage if she was bullied for not being Black enough.

But her antics are very unacceptable. She was unable to see the forest for the trees and didn't bother educating herself. She just went full heel and lacked the professionalism to keep her shitty views to herself.

Totally agree man...

I forgot the exact quote but Sage Steele lost me when trying to speak about diversity and race by saying that we should appreciate the unprecedented courage shown by her caucasian mother to look past her father's black skin.

Just disappointing all around.

Did she really say that???

Honestly I hope not to see her again on TV... Good on ESPN for this.

I forgot the exact quote but Sage Steele lost me when trying to speak about diversity and race by saying that we should appreciate the unprecedented courage shown by her caucasian mother to look past her father's black skin.

Just disappointing all around.

I just stood there with my mouth wide open. I couldn't believe it... She is on another planet.

Joke post right?

Lkr

do you also hate protests that make you late getting home from work because a black woman refused to sit in the back of the bus?

Beadle wouldn't look like a deer in the headlights if Collins dropped that Birdman line though so she is a much better fit for the show

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
If you can read that entire link (and all the receipts inside) and STILL not "get what the big deal" is...then you never will get it.

I think he gets it, just doesn't care. Benefiting from past protests that blocked roads, stopped public transportation and halted commerce and then complaining about current protests that will help future generations takes a special lack of awareness.

Everybody knows throughout history the most effective protests were the ones that were quiet, didn't inconvinience anyone and were easy to forget/ignore.

Gattsu25

Banned

Protests, without inconvenience, tend to be ineffectual. You need to get people to pay attention to what you're doing and one of the fastest ways to get people not in tune to start noticing you is to stand in their way.

Dude Abides

Banned
That protest tweet, trying to pretend that she's sad for the children and elderly when she's really just pissed you were inconvenienced.

Dre3001

Did she really say that???

Yes I think the full quote is in that black sports online link floating around in this thread.

She was speaking on diversity and race during black history month and posted a long winded message on one of her social media accounts. I think that was the first time I saw people start to turn on her.

LionPride

Banned

RinsFury

Good. I hope she never works in the business again. Just an awful, toxic person, who espouses the virtues of white supremacy.

Huh. And here I thought Beadle was the host after only seeing her on NBA Countdown.

Good. I like Beadle. They have a lot of fun on that show that's a step below NBA on TNT's antics.

Whatever happened to Doris Burke?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I thought Sage was cool, if a bit stiff, until she shut down that Canadian dude like she was a Republican congressman. All that shit unraveled real quick and I realized my radar for fuckery needed some calibration.

Lkr

Huh. And here I thought Beadle was the host after only seeing her on NBA Countdown.

Good. I like Beadle. They have a lot of fun on that show that's a step below NBA on TNT's antics.

Whatever happened to Doris Burke?

she sits at the table instead of being a sideline reporter iirc. during the women's tournament she is considered a "game analyst" and is the third person in the booth that isn't color commentary or play by play. interesting enough she just retired from commentating women's basketball and will be focusing primarily on men's basketball. i wouldn't be surprised if we get her as a play by play at some point

Allforce

I barely watch NBA but every time I caught this woman on air I found her extremely off-putting. Reading about all her shitty attitudes doesn't surprise me.

I searched #sagesteele on Twitter and every pro-Sage/anti-ESPN tweet is from some white guy in a suit in his profile pic talking about the "left wing media" causing this.

Servbot24

Banned

"Rosa Parks is fine I guess but damnit she made my bus late!"

cdyhybrid

I wish sports had more girls who knew their stuff rather than girls who are just there to look pretty. They exist in spades. Looking at First Take, Undisputed, and whatever the fuck Cowherd is doing none of those women add to the conversation when they definitely should be.
If you want people who know their stuff those aren't the shows to be watching.

It's a shame how ESPN seems to prioritize female hosts who don't even seem to be that interested in the sports they are covering. Even though the show is dumb, I thought it was cool when around the horn had a full female panel of sports writers.

Jacce

Banned
Sage Steele is awful. Good riddance.

It's a shame how ESPN seems to prioritize female hosts who don't even seem to be that interested in the sports they are covering. Even though the show is dumb, I thought it was cool when around the horn had a full female panel of sports writers.
Who? What in the world are you talking about? All of ESPN's main female NBA hosts/reporters are clearly all big NBA fans. Listen to any of them on podcasts.

Michelle Beadle? Michelle Beadle is a lifetime NBA fan.

Trying to claim that someone like Doris Burke, Cassidy Hubbarth, Rachel Nichols, or Michelle Beadle aren't interested in the NBA would be completely false.

Surfinn

Too bad because Sage Steele is a pretty badass name. Glad to hear someone competent and non-moronic is replacing her.

Could you give an example? Because most of the female specific sports personalities I've seen them put on the air are really invested in those sports. Doris Burke, Michelle Beadle, Suzy Kolber, Lisa Salters, Rachel Nichols, Shannon Spake, Linda Cohn, etc.

I can fault ESPN for a lot of things, but they've been pretty at putting women on air that know their sports and seem passionate about them.

Jacce

Banned
Could you give an example? Because most of the female specific sports personalities I've seen them put on the air are really invested in those sports. Doris Burke, Michelle Beadle, Suzy Kolber, Lisa Salters, Rachel Nichols, Shannon Spake, Linda Cohn, etc.

I can fault ESPN for a lot of things, but they've been pretty at putting women on air that know their sports and seem passionate about them.

Hell on average their female reporters on the NBA side of things are more informed about the sport than most of the male reporters. I would take Burke's opinion over Windhorst any day.

Hell on average their female reporters on the NBA side of things are more informed about the sport than most of the male reporters. I would take Burke's opinion over Windhorst any day.

In fairness, it's tough for Windhorst to be eloquent with LeBron's nuts on his chin.

effzee

Everybody knows throughout history the most effective protests were the ones that were quiet, didn't inconvinience anyone and were easy to forget/ignore.

Exactly that's why they should protest quietly like Kaep....oh wait

I hope so we need more Cassidy on TV.

Yes. I would like to play 1 on 1 with her if you know what I mean.

Sage Steele is awful. Good riddance.

Who? What in the world are you talking about? All of ESPN's main female NBA hosts/reporters are clearly all big NBA fans. Listen to any of them on podcasts.

Michelle Beadle? Michelle Beadle is a lifetime NBA fan.

Trying to claim that someone like Doris Burke, Cassidy Hubbarth, Rachel Nichols, or Michelle Beadle aren't interested in the NBA would be completely false.

When in doubt take a swing at ESPN!

They have pretty ladies on shows like First Take, but most of their hosts, anchors, and coverage staff that is female is well informed and add to the shows.

PopeReal

I see the "protests are annoying" crowd is still alive on GAF. Meanwhile they are enjoying rights gained from protests.

LionPride

Banned
Stop saying dumb shit

Kite

If you want people who know their stuff those aren't the shows to be watching.
Pretty much. I can't lie though, Listening to Undisputed is a guilty please of mine at work. Shannon's "SKKEEEIIIIUUUUPPPP!" makes me giggle each time.

Fjordson

Awesome. And aside from Sage's terrible views on stuff lately, Beadle's simply better than her on TV.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom