• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN replaces Sage Steele with Michelle Beadle as new host of NBA coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
God it must be tough to be mixed. Instead of being accepted by both races, you're more than likely disowned by both. Not to mention the identity crisis you may go through yourself as mixed

Kaizer

Banned
I don't follow sports commentating/ESPN that much, so I had no idea Sage Steele was pulling a Stacey Dash, holy shit.

Dynomutt

The Internet never forgets...

Can you guys imagine Twitter or social media with events that occurred in the 80's or 90's oh to be a fly on the wall.

Consequences. You can't just say shit these days.

Unless your Donald Trump it might get you elected.

numble

The other reality that we can't dismiss is the economic one. There are going to be a number of staff shakeups for ESPN in the coming months. ESPN is locked into billions of dollars in contracts to leagues, is being crushed by hemorrhaging cable subscribers, and has to pay tons of money to talent in order to keep them in nowhere Connecticut.

The need to cut salary, contract timing, and the controversy she brought probably all played into this.

NBA Countdown is recorded in Los Angeles.

Surfinn

Every time I flipped on ESPN and saw Steele on, I always wondered why she was there. She never seemed to add anything to discussions and contribute in any significant way.

After reading those quotes.. Fucking yikes.

They made the right choice. Good riddance.

TheOddOne

dahell2.png

TheOGB

Banned
I wish sports had more girls who knew their stuff rather than girls who are just there to look pretty. They exist in spades. Looking at First Take, Undisputed, and whatever the fuck Cowherd is doing none of those women add to the conversation when they definitely should be.

Tfw when black people are happy you got replaced by a generic Barbie.

How is Beadle a generic Barbie? That's just insulting for no reason. She is actually an intelligent and knowledgeable sports personality with a great, likable presence on TV and radio. She is arguably the best on-air asset that ESPN has had in a long time.

Slayven

No no no, you need to hear Rod from TBGWT read this article on the BDS premium podcast with "Ether" playing in the background. For the culture...

Small world, the best sports podcast on the net. Cause they talk about the real issues

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish sports had more girls who knew their stuff rather than girls who are just there to look pretty. They exist in spades. Looking at First Take, Undisputed, and whatever the fuck Cowherd is doing none of those women add to the conversation when they definitely should be.

They aren't allowed to.

First Take or the Undisputed aren't set up for the host to even really give their takes. ESPN doesn't want anyone other than Max and Stephen A to give hot takes.

That's more on ESPN or Fox than the women themselves on these shows.

Abounder

Banned
She's been nutty for awhile. I remember she had some feud with Simmons where he got bounced off the NBA show because she froze him out

Word, definitely drama behind the scenes

sage.gif

Never liked or hated Steele, but Beadle's great and is a Spurs fan which helps in my book

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Michelle Beadle has been doing the NBA coverage all season, so not sure why this is getting news now. The former players on the show with her seem to get along much better with her than with Sage.

Sage has some issues that she needs to get worked out or...she can go get a job at Fox News to do sports segments.

LionPride

Banned
Michelle Beadle has been doing the NBA coverage all season, so not sure why this is getting news now. The former players on the show with her seem to get along much better with her than with Sage.

Sage has some issues that she needs to get worked out or...she can go get a job at Fox News to do sports segments.
Sage took the job too serious, wouldn't have fun with it. You could tell anytime that Bill, Jalen, and Doug would be having fun and she would be there just doing nothing. Or even with Bill leaving, when it was just Doug and Jalen, still the same way

SoulClap

I'm not sure who the other hosts on NBA Countdown are anymore but this is a step in the right direction. Steele was terrible.

Word, definitely drama behind the scenes

sage.gif

Never liked or hated Steele, but Beadle's great and is a Spurs fan which helps in my book

In all fairness, you try not to roll your eyes when Bill Simmons complains that he has gone too long without speaking, and I'm a Simmons fan.

Beadle has been doing fine, but she tends to glance toward the camera/producers with an unsure look whenever she adds in her own commentary after Chauncey and Jalen speak. She obviously knows her basketball stuff, more confidence is needed!

EPaul

Never knew this side of Sage Steel kinda of disappointed to be quite honet
I like Beadle she'll do a good job

Dre3001

I forgot the exact quote but Sage Steele lost me when trying to speak about diversity and race by saying that we should appreciate the unprecedented courage shown by her caucasian mother to look past her father's black skin.

Just disappointing all around.

Harp

I hope she does not pull an OJ. And complain that she lost her job because she is black and start wearing African print.

alejob

Steele is not "gone". She is at espn still.

I don't get what the deal is with that birdman video. I don't appreciate protests that block roads, etc... so I don't get why that was a big deal either.

I like Michelle Beadle though so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom