• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Scher

Most of the orchestrated versions are either bad or just kind of off compared to the original versions. Like, for a lot of the tracks, either the orchestration doesn't really make sense or some of the impact of the original music was lost in translation. I would chalk that up to the fact that all the tracks for EO1 and 2 were composed with the PC-88 sound font in mind. However, some tracks translate very well and I would say are probably better than the original tracks.

Using EOU as an example, since that's the game I'm currently on, I would say Towering Pair and Labyrinth V are phenomenal tracks that definitely take a step up from their predecessors. Unfortunately, it's a pretty small number of tracks that translated well to new orchestrations, with most of them either losing some of the original impact like Dyed in Blood, or just in general sounding off due to kind of awkward orchestration that goes on at times, like Labyrinth IV. And then I have no idea what happened to Ecstasy but ugh, that's a mess.

I would say, though, that the inverse also applies to the original compositions made for EOU. The orchestrated versions of the new music sound better than the FM versions.

Where at?

Ok so im at the Sacred Mountains; have a couple of caves unlocked but the traps or monsters are killing my party.

My party consists of a Landsknecht (lv27), fortress (LV 31), dancer (LV 25), rune master (LV 27) and story arcanist (LV 31).

Story wise I'm not too sure where I am at. :/

kagamin

Ok so im at the Sacred Mountains; have a couple of caves unlocked but the traps or monsters are killing my party.

My party consists of a Landsknecht (lv27), fortress (LV 31), dancer (LV 25), rune master (LV 27) and story arcanist (LV 31).

Story wise I'm not too sure where I am at. :/

Level-wise, I'd recommend the upper end of your party to be equal to the allies you got at the end of the last area, in this case Wufan. Also share what kind of skills set-up you're using at the moment. ^_^

Oh hey look, this Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold copy worked its way into my hands. Maybe I'll play it eventually.

Need to finish 3 and Untold

Puru

Honestly so far up to stratum 3 of EOU, i never went back to the old soundtrack (i tried switching everytime but after 10s went back to the new one).
I tried to listen to a few tracks of what was to come (the battle ones basically,) and outside of ecstasy that is a complete mess it feels superior to me, but i still like the old one of course.

Anteo

Untold Classic is a great game, but it is hard to compare to the game that had different story paths and cool clases

Puru

Untold Classic is a great game, but it is hard to compare to the game that had different story paths and cool clases

I hated the story paths with class locks and i never was a fan of subclassing (glad they agree with me for 5). Never really understood the love for 3, dungeon design is not that much better than previous entries on top of that, unless the sixth stratum is the best thing ever.

jonjonaug

EOIV: Not just done, but super done.

No chem version of the superboss sounds like a pain, so I'm good with calling this "finished".

The fight itself ended up getting pretty intense at the end because I forgot Amritas and accidentally used Charge twice in a row instead of letting loose with my link ability, so I had to outlast an additional cycle of his tentacles than I was planning on. My Lands ended up with 0 TP at the end, and my Runemaster was out of TP to case more anti-elemental runes to keep his attacks from wiping my party. I ended up killing it with normal attacks, it was right down to the wire.

jonjonaug

Congrats, I always go for 100% enemy discovery but I'm too lazy for 100% Item Discovery.

I was too lazy in EOU2 but it only took about an hour after beating the Warped Savior to get 100% item discovery. I already had something like 90-95 filled out just by playing regularly. It's also super easy to farm Formaldehyde in EOIV compared to the other EO games I've played.

spiritfox

So the JP EO twitter has been introducing the classes for the past few days. We have the Fencer, Dragoon, and Cestus so far. Fencers are dodge-based attackers with joint attacks, Dragoons are ranged tanks with a gun and shield, and Cestus have single target binds and skills that change effect depending on which parts are bound.

Finally figured out what I needed to do so I could make some progress in the Golden Lair after getting lost and catching up on some side quests, (and playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate instead). I also unlocked Subclassing.

Maybe I can defeat the boss while I'm at it.

tuffy

Finally figured out what I needed to do so I could make some progress in the Golden Lair after getting lost and catching up on some side quests, (and playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate instead). I also unlocked Subclassing.

Maybe I can defeat the boss while I'm at it.
Once you get the hang of how the two Golden Lair entrances interlock together to make progress, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to keep moving forward. Just keep in mind those ice stakes are really handy - sometimes even in the boss fight itself!

Once you get the hang of how the two Golden Lair entrances interlock together to make progress, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to keep moving forward. Just keep in mind those ice stakes are really handy - sometimes even in the boss fight itself!
No kidding. When I found out there were 2 entrances I just thought "this is gonna get stupid". Its not so bad after getting most of the shortcuts.

Wait the boss fight? Don't mess with me...

tuffy

No kidding. When I found out there were 2 entrances I just thought "this is gonna get stupid". Its not so bad after getting most of the shortcuts.

Wait the boss fight? Don't mess with me...
At the risk of spoiling things, keep in mind that ice stakes are a usable item even during fights. A lot of people miss this detail!

At the risk of spoiling things, keep in mind that ice stakes are a usable item even during fights. A lot of people miss this detail!
I guess it's better not to use them in most battles considering they're necessary for the dungeon itself.

Subclassing's interesting. Medic with sub Arcanist skills is pretty cool.

tuffy

I guess it's better not to use them in most battles considering they're necessary for the dungeon itself.
You'll only need them in battle for the boss fight, and you'll know when to use them. It'll be an "ah-ha" sort of moment when the opportunity arrives.
Subclassing's interesting. Medic with sub Arcanist skills is pretty cool.
I'm fond of the reverse - Arcanist sub Medic. An Arcanist's Dismiss Heal gets quite powerful, while a Medic's sub covers refreshes and revives.

You'll only need them in battle for the boss fight, and you'll know when to use them. It'll be an "ah-ha" sort of moment when the opportunity arrives.

I'm fond of the reverse - Arcanist sub Medic. An Arcanist's Dismiss Heal gets quite powerful, while a Medic's sub covers refreshes and revives.
Sweet I'll def carry some spare stakes beforehand. Thanks for all the hints and advice for the boss. Gonna be a much less stressful fight now. :)

Even after getting the Arcanist class, I haven't really used it since having Wufan joined the party in the Misty Ravine. I don't count subclassing.

omlet

Medic/Arcanist is probably fine unless your whole party setup somehow relies on Arcanist as a main. I 100%'d the game without ever changing my main party's main classes, so that meant I had a Medic the whole game (with arcanist sub once possible) so don't worry too much about switching if you are comfortable with Medic.

Anteo

I never did this in my first playthrough of IV. I never knew you could use it in battle.
I used ice AoE attacks instead

Awww yeeaah! Finally got around to beating the Boiling Lizard!

Ok, what just happened? This plot just gets more and more crazy. I love it

Sölf

So, instead of finishing up Stella Glow or continueing EOU2, I just continued my EO3 solo Princess run. Finished 9F and killed Manticor for the first time. Level 58... xD

I will be so dead when I reach 70 and can only get stronger with equipment. Then again, Bushin is a real life saver.

Zweizer

Banned
Beat Harpuia pretty easily despite all the crap she threw at me. Chloe and Arianna are great at keeping ailments at bay together.

I really like this rendement of Heaven's Rock Seat.

omlet

Yeah, I recommend hitting him with some bombs the first time you fight him. His HP is enormous. Also his gimmick involves buffs so you may need to rest Ariana (or bring some items) depending on how you've spent skill points (if in classic with no princess, you will need items). I won't say more right now in case you haven't been spoiled yet and want to try to figure him out.
I just leveled up 2 more levels to get the points I needed.

Zweizer

Banned
Oh I already beat it, haha. Good thing I remembered that buffs were a bad idea against it back in EO2.

I didn't expect it to buff me though.

Zweizer

Banned
Given there are no encounters in the juggernaut room, and you can full heal once per in game day right outside it, I don't see why you'd even really need that

It can be tricky dealing with Juggernaut's walk speed, so this guide can be helpful to avoid getting oneself backed into a corner.

Rutger

Banned
I'm not too picky on FM or Orchestra, Yuzo Koshiro does outstanding work no matter what.

That said, EOIII has the best soundtrack, so any excuse to have more of it is fine by me. Bring on EOU3 after we get EOV.

Top Bottom