• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
Overlord is kind of a jerk.

Not sure if I should level more, as I don't have the kind of big reliable AoE damage to take down his satellites.

tuffy

It's probably a good idea to have some sort of AoE capability in general. Between my Princess' Link Order II, Gunner's line piercing shots and Highlander's "stab everybody" attack, I didn't have much trouble keeping the helpers out of the way. But if all else fails, one could always Grimoire something in.

Zweizer

Banned
Well, with my story mode party I don't have much aside from Arianna's Link Order II and Transformed Fafnir... which has its own limitations. Not sure how powerful Flank Shot is at lvl 10, but I could probably Rest Flavio and get him that.

omlet

Well, with my story mode party I don't have much aside from Arianna's Link Order II and Transformed Fafnir... which has its own limitations. Not sure how powerful Flank Shot is at lvl 10, but I could probably Rest Flavio and get him that.

Link Order II and Flank Should should suffice (stack grimoires on top of the base skill if you can). Took me a couple tries to get the pacing of that battle.

spiritfox

I'm wondering if the Cestus will be the martial arts juggernaut I hoped the Monk would be. :3

Interested in seeing the bind distribution this time around, too.

The EO twitter has mentioned that the Cestus will be focused on single target binds, with moves that change depending on the binds the target has. There doesn't seem to be an AOE bind, but maybe the Necro or Shaman has it.

jonjonaug

Finally beat Overlord. Lvl 20 Link Order II and Ailing Slash are incredible, but boy are they expensive.

Honestly once you get that late in the game it's much easier just to slap elemental prelude, fantasia, and circle skills together than Resting and reforming your party every time you meet a roadblock or bothering with Ailing Slash. They stack really well and combined with the Fafnir's multihit skills you'll just wreck shit completely. Adding the Gunner's Point Blank skill into the mix (next ranged attack turns into a melee attack and does bonus damage) can murder anything in just a few turns. Spoilers below for truly gamebreaking strats you might not want to be aware of or work out on your own.

Generally the pattern for this strat is the following

Turn 1: Use Fantasia skill, set up buffs/debuffs, have Fafnir use Focus->Wave/Meteor Smash/whatever you think will deal most damage.
Turn 2: Use Prelude, use Accelerate on Fafnir, set up more buffs/debuffs.
Turn 3: Unload. Use Elemental Circles (they'll go before the Fafnir still) to boost damage. Point Blank->Elemental Wave->Akeshic Nova will take out most things in the game other than the superboss right off the bat. Changing Flavio's class to Troubador lets you get in an additional buff from that Force Break skill but it's not necessary unless you're going for a superboss quick kill strat. Double Action can be also slapped on Fafnir to give a chance at this wave hitting twice (if this procs and you changed Flavio to a Troubadour you don't even have to worry about being level 99 to kill the superboss on turn 3).

This setup is so good that it breaks the game, although you really can't work it until postgame when you'll likely be swimming in level 10 grimories, plus the added bonus of changing Flavio's class to Troubadour makes random encounters more difficult due to the lack of aliment infliction options. Nothing in the game is TOO hard that it requires this much firepower anyway up until you only have the fire elemental dragon and superboss left, and that's so late into the postgame that you just might not have the resources to set all this up anyway.

If nothing else though, I would really recommend the Fantasia skill at the very least. It works differently from most other buff/debuffs in the game in that it's not a multiplier, rather it's a straight +/- modifier to the amount of elemental damage dealt, so it isn't subject to the diminishing returns that you get from stacking buff/debuff multipliers like other skills.

Zweizer

Banned
Sounds like a fun, if rather unoptimal for dungeon exploring, setup. I'll look into getting some Fantasia grimoires at least.

tuffy

The character designer is about what I was expecting: a set of sensible defaults with RGB sliders to customize the look. I wasn't expecting the voice samples to be so long given the number of voice options available. And I do like that new background theme.

Nice. I'm guessing that was the theme of the 1st Stratum.

I hope so. That was chill. The character creation looks as I expected. Nice to finally have a way to make (well, get closer to) the character you imagined, instead of relating them as close as possible to some preset.

spiritfox

But we already have EO1.

It's not the same. An EO set entirely in the modern day, with modern/futuristic classes would be interesting. SMT is the closest, but I like the combat and party mechanics of EO more. Also I wanna see Himukai do casual wear more.

Zweizer

Banned
It's not the same. An EO set entirely in the modern day, with modern/futuristic classes would be interesting. SMT is the closest, but I like the combat and party mechanics of EO more. Also I wanna see Himukai do casual wear more.

That would be a pretty big departure from the norm. Would be interesting, but at the same time I doubt Atlus would be willing to try something like that any time soon, especially since they have the SMT/Persona series filling that setting.

kagamin

2c38ba94d084b9d1de17b5fbcb7c93ce.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Finally beat the FInal boss. That ending is such a tease.

Untold 3 when?

Are there any more characters interactions and stuff for the 6th Stratum and DLCs (aside from the hot springs one) in Story mode, or should I start over in Classic?

jonjonaug

Finally beat the FInal boss. That ending is such a tease.

Untold 3 when?

Are there any more characters interactions and stuff for the 6th Stratum and DLCs (aside from the hot springs one) in Story mode, or should I start over in Classic?

There's more character interaction from making new dishes (12 scenes from the standard dishes+3 more dishes that use the elemental dragons as ingredients+a couple scenes for completing most and then all of the dishes) and at a couple of points in the 6th stratum along with a few other very minor scenes, but for the most part the quests and presentation in the postgame are identical to Classic mode. I never tried the DLC so I wouldn't know about those quests.

Zweizer

Banned
There's more character interaction from making new dishes (12 scenes from the standard dishes+3 more dishes that use the elemental dragons as ingredients+a couple scenes for completing most and then all of the dishes) and at a couple of points in the 6th stratum along with a few other very minor scenes, but for the most part the quests and presentation in the postgame are identical to Classic mode. I never tried the DLC so I wouldn't know about those quests.

I see. I'll stick with Story Mode for a little while longer then. Thanks for the heads up.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks to contacts I should be able to get a LE version of V. But weird that it seems they never restocked it.

do my eyes deceive me

a comrade?

I've walked alone in this wasteland for far too long

YOU SHALL WALK ALONE... NO MORE!

Also another thing I noticed (after playing more FP dungeon crawlers on Vita) is how much I love the second screen for the map in dungeon crawlers. Heck I can even see it being useful in Hyrule Warriors Legends. Nintendo really nailed it with dual screen and developers taking advantage of this for showing the full map as opposed to a minimap that makes me have to stop to check the full map.

Rutger

Banned
Hm...
I want this game.

I've never thought of this. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to a modern setting for EO, they could get really creative with the classes and the environments.
At the same time, I wouldn't be all that sad if it never happened. Though I do hope that we see some more technology throughout the games. I feel like some it could be worked into the games better than it has been so far, and I don't think it would be out of place to have the labyrinths slowly gain more technological elements as we travel further, leading to some Sanctuary Fortress-like sixth stratum.

Zweizer

Banned
Beat the Wyvern, which was pretty easy despite it one-shotting someone every couple of turns, mainly due to the rather low accuracy of its attacks and that most of them only hits one target.

FluxWaveZ

Scans for all the appearance options of the Fencer, Dragoon, Masurao, Warlock and Herbalist classes in EOV in this week's issue of Famitsu are out there.

spiritfox

Pink Dragoon girl is cute.

It is pretty disappointing that the portraits are so similar. I was hoping with customisation that they'll make the portraits more unique.

Edit: One of the new stratum seems pretty interesting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I got that LE snes 3ds just to play this game on... lol what am i doing with my life. play V that is when its out.

Oh god, what a relief. I beat the Flame Demon in EOU2 last night without dropping the difficulty. I had to use a soma at the end because I didn't want to lose one character right before the finishing blow due to a TP drought near the end.

I was really considering jumping ship to EOIII because of difficulties in EOU2. I don't really understand the Grimoire system and some of the classes I have to use in story mode really throw me for a loop because I'm not used to them.

Anyway, unless Ginnegigape or whatever the fuck is really terrible like it was after the last stratum I'll continue on. Let me guess, it'll be tough as nails!

Top Bottom