• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

Oh god, what a relief. I beat the Flame Demon in EOU2 last night without dropping the difficulty. I had to use a soma at the end because I didn't want to lose one character right before the finishing blow due to a TP drought near the end.

I was really considering jumping ship to EOIII because of difficulties in EOU2. I don't really understand the Grimoire system and some of the classes I have to use in story mode really throw me for a loop because I'm not used to them.

Anyway, unless Ginnegigape or whatever the fuck is really terrible like it was after the last stratum I'll continue on. Let me guess, it'll be tough as nails!

I mainly use grimoires to increase the levels of the skills the character already has. Even on Expert you can play the game without using grimoires until the post-game boss.

Oh yeah, I've always wondered -- what's with the ding / dong sound when waking up at the inn? It seems to be tied to if you allowed your characters to get enough sleep, but I've never been able to tell if it has any impact on stats. Anyone know?

tuffy

Oh yeah, I've always wondered -- what's with the ding / dong sound when waking up at the inn? It seems to be tied to if you allowed your characters to get enough sleep, but I've never been able to tell if it has any impact on stats. Anyone know?
Sleeping at the inn until the next morning affects whether the labyrinth gathering spots have reset. Performing any amount of sleep is enough to reset your HP/TP, but doesn't otherwise affect your stats. I'm pretty sure the chime is just tied to the game day change and isn't otherwise significant.

Sleeping at the inn until the next morning affects whether the labyrinth gathering spots have reset. Performing any amount of sleep is enough to reset your HP/TP, but doesn't otherwise affect your stats. I'm pretty sure the chime is just tied to the game day change and isn't otherwise significant.

Yeah I get that the point is to get the gather points to refresh and restore HP/TP, but if you try going to sleep at 1AM and till morning you get a dong sound, but if you go to bed before 10PM or so you'll get a ding! in the morning. It's almost like they're trying to make you feel bad for not letting your guild get enough rest! Hahah.

kagamin

Yeah I get that the point is to get the gather points to refresh and restore HP/TP, but if you try going to sleep at 1AM and till morning you get a dong sound, but if you go to bed before 10PM or so you'll get a ding! in the morning. It's almost like they're trying to make you feel bad for not letting your guild get enough rest! Hahah.

Sleep is for weak adventurers, my team just goes out all night long!

spiritfox

No, the sounds are tied to the day/night cycle. If you stay in the labyrinth when it turns from day to night or vice versa, you can also hear the chime.

ohlawd

yo I'm kinda worried man. hear me out. so we all know this is probably the most expensive EO since they got all these top tier VAs, more features and shit. but what if the game sells like crap? I'm talking EOU2-levels. I know EOIV did awesome in Japan but that was a billion years ago. the West isn't going to pick up the slack. did EOIV even break 100k here? and for some godforsaken reason, didn't Demon Gaze do 200k out here? how is that shit possible. it'd be a miracle if EOV did that well here too and it'd be deserved that time

ohlawd

Then we will enjoy the last handheld EO game. But no worries the series will continue on
mobile as a gacha game.
actually dude after owning a phone for the past little while, I think I'm okay with a mobile future. and there's always PC

gacha tho? even better. that means I can throw Atlus all my money

omlet

can someone PM me scans links or send them to me on LINE or something?
Edit: Got em, thanks

yo I'm kinda worried man. hear me out. so we all know this is probably the most expensive EO since they got all these top tier VAs, more features and shit. but what if the game sells like crap? I'm talking EOU2-levels. I know EOIV did awesome in Japan but that was a billion years ago. the West isn't going to pick up the slack. did EOIV even break 100k here? and for some godforsaken reason, didn't Demon Gaze do 200k out here? how is that shit possible. it'd be a miracle if EOV did that well here too and it'd be deserved that time
Boggles my mind, too, if true, considering how bad that game was compared to, like, even old EO games. Probably a combination of nice looking production values, fanservice, and fewer(?) games like that for Vita owners to chose from. That said, if they're bringing in some Demon Gaze style character creation in EOV then I am definitely on board with that. For all the things I dislike about DG and Operation Abyss, the character creation is something in both games that stands out as one of the things done well.

gacha tho? even better.

You be quiet.

Let's admit it, an EO gacha will sell more than the actual games.

I dunno, man. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only series fan to just say nope and walk away if the series did that. Now, simply being a mobile game is not an automatic nope, because the games could be adapted to work on phone/tablet and I'd probably be okay with that in a traditional buy-to-play release, but gacha = I'm outta here.
I spend too much time on mobage as it is already, even though I spend little to no money on them.

can someone PM me scans links or send them to me on LINE or something?

Boggles my mind, too, if true, considering how bad that game was compared to, like, even old EO games. Probably a combination of nice looking production values, fanservice, and fewer(?) games like that for Vita owners to chose from. That said, if they're bringing in some Demon Gaze style character creation in EOV then I am definitely on board with that. For all the things I dislike about DG and Operation Abyss, the character creation is something in both games that stands out as one of the things done well.

EDIT

Demon Gaze is great but yea it lacks the polish EO has in almost every way. EO2U is my favourite still so im sad that it didn't sell too well in the West. :(

ohlawd

You be quiet.

too late

jlp92Oj.png

kagamin

All I ask for is a game where I can draw maps and go on an adventure man, and die to peaceful forest creatures out for blood, that too.

So after not playing EOIV for a couple weeks I came back and powered through the 4th Labyrinth, and am now getting into the 5th dungeon after finally opening that stupid door. The enemies in here are pretty intense, but ultimately manageable.

Also I didn't know bosses could be re-fought. How long does it take for them to respawn?

jonjonaug

So after not playing EOIV for a couple weeks I came back and powered through the 4th Labyrinth, and am now getting into the 5th dungeon after finally opening that stupid door. The enemies in here are pretty intense, but ultimately manageable.

Also I didn't know bosses could be re-fought. How long does it take for them to respawn?
In-dungeon FOEs are one week. Bosses and overworld FOEs are two weeks. There are exceptions for some FOEs which will respawn after the next time transition (robots in Maze 4 or the sheep in Land 2).

In-dungeon FOEs are one week. Bosses and overworld FOEs are two weeks. There are exceptions for some FOEs which will respawn after the next time transition (robots in Maze 4 or the sheep in Land 2).
Sweet may grind up a new team in the meantime re-fighting FOE's and bosses.

I was wondering about those robots. I fought 4 of them in one fight and defeated all of them thinking if they're gone they won't come back for another week. So I headed to town and healed up just to come back and realize they were back too. Boy was I wrong lol.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just found my unopened copy of EOIII with the cd lol

why the fuck did I buy 2 of these? and where the hell is my opened copy?! D: as I have the desire to get lost at sea again.

I just found my unopened copy of EOIII with the cd lol

why the fuck did I buy 2 of these? and where the hell is my opened copy?! D: as I have the desire to get lost at sea again.

You mean the JP one? Because I thought the NA one had a big artbook in the first print. Also jelly.

Nachos

My favorite EOV class look so far are the Dragoons. They all look like they'll mess you up.

Interested in seeing what the Necromancer alts will look like; that should be shown next week.
Yeah, they're the only class designs I like across the board do far, though maybe being able to change hair and eye color will help some of the others.

Weebos

Banned
I really like the portraits revealed so far. I still think it is a wasted opportunity to have races and classes tied to each other, but oh well, EO6.

Rutger

Banned
I really like the portraits revealed so far. I still think it is a wasted opportunity to have races and classes tied to each other, but oh well, EO6.

I'm hoping the reclassing mechanic from the Untold games returns, that way we can get any race skill onto any class.

That should be a good compromise over having to draw portraits more portraits.

Back to playing Etrian Odyssey 3 again. Teleporting red gates is fun in the 5th Stratum.

At least when I finish 3, I'll just play 2 Untold

Top Bottom