• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

ChrisD

So when does Hexer's Level 10 Poison with Double Poison Damage food not kill all the floor enemies in one turn on Untold 2?

I feel like I'm abusing some broken aspect of the game, but I can't make myself stop. Naoto made Persona Q no fun after a while with her instant kills, so I'm really trying not to repeat that.

jonjonaug

So when does Hexer's Level 10 Poison with Double Poison Damage food not kill all the floor enemies in one turn on Untold 2?

I feel like I'm abusing some broken aspect of the game, but I can't make myself stop. Naoto made Persona Q no fun after a while with her instant kills, so I'm really trying not to repeat that.

Some of the status effect foods are really broken. The blind and paralyze ones make those two status effects essentially 100% effective and completely neutralize enemies.

ChrisD

Why would they make me have to refrain myself from breaking the game. I don't have that self-control. :(

I'll switch foods over I guess. There was one for Force gain while walking, that sounds fun. I just know I'll switch right back to Poison x2 the first time I move up a floor.

Like it's not a problem right now, it's just a fear of "ruining" the game come a week from now.

Puru

EOU feels so much better than IV so far despise the questionable choices (floor jump and terrible grimoire system).

Having one main dungeon with gimmick change at almost every floor (or a mix of previous gimmicks), same for FOE is so much better than what they did in EOIV.
Story is kinda bland but the extra dungeon is nice so far and Raquna is a cutie so that's enough to keep going.

jonjonaug

I beat the designated adventurer boss in EOIV.

I spent the entire fight setting up for a big attack with my lands (Blood Surge->Vanguard->Improved Link->Charge->Electric Link), but he went down before I could even finish it because he knocked out my Lands on turn one (delaying my strat a bit), but I poisoned him on the first round and that lasted for three turns (about 2000 damage a round from poison+skill attacks from Night+Galvanic Rune), then I paralyzed him as soon as that wore off and the fight was just over.

jonjonaug

I'm torn on floor jump. On the one hand it definitely does take some of the tension out of things, but on the other hand walking through the same floors of an area multiple times gets pretty dull pretty fast and makes material gathering or FOE hunting even more of a chore.

The lack of it does lead to more interesting decisions though in some cases. In EOIV lategame I just had a situation on
the 1B3F revisit where it was like "do I push forward while very low on TP until I can open the shortcut from maze 1 proper, or do I use the thread now and have to come in through maze 2 instead"

omlet

"do I push forward while very low on TP until I can open the shortcut from maze 1 proper, or do I use the thread now and have to come in through maze 2 instead"

Well, yeah. This is the entire essence of EO 1-4. Floor jump removes that (and a lot of the endurance/survival/push-your-luck component of the game) completely. It's quite a drastic change, unless you are strong-willed enough to resist the urge to use the feature.

tuffy

One of the screenshots looked like a desert-themed outdoor labyrinth (presumably not inside the Yggdrasil), so I'm guessing there'll be mappable sections outside the main tree - like EO IV's caves. Though the developers had previously implied seafaring or skyships wouldn't be returning, maybe the party will just warp to the new locations somehow.

Scher

Well, yeah. This is the entire essence of EO 1-4. Floor jump removes that (and a lot of the endurance/survival/push-your-luck component of the game) completely. It's quite a drastic change, unless you are strong-willed enough to resist the urge to use the feature.

It's especially weird that floor jump was added since it kind of defeats the reason for a lot of the shortcuts in the game to exist. Like, what's the point of having a shortcut that takes me from the beginning of the floor to close to the staircase when I can just use floor jump to get over there? I hope that if they plan to keep floor jump for EO5, that they'll at least make it unavailable for expert difficulty or something like that.

Greetings Etrian Odyssey GAF!

I recently got Etrian Odyssey IV (2 weeks ago) and I'm absolutely loving it so far! The classes are awesome, I love the skill trees, and exploring dungeons is such a thrill. The amount of depth is awesome while everything is implemented quite well, in my opinion.

I'm currently in the Sacred Mountains trying to figure out how this labyrinth works (also trying to figure out where I'm going lol) but enjoying thw adventure regardless.

I do have a question though after doing a couple side quests, upon completion a prompt would show up saying "*insert dungeon's* map has been updated". What does that mean?

Also this games music is amazing!

jonjonaug

Greetings Etrian Odyssey GAF!

I recently got Etrian Odyssey IV (2 weeks ago) and I'm absolutely loving it so far! The classes are awesome, I love the skill trees, and exploring dungeons is such a thrill. The amount of depth is awesome while everything is implemented quite well, in my opinion.

I'm currently in the Sacred Mountains trying to figure out how this labyrinth works (also trying to figure out where I'm going lol) but enjoying thw adventure regardless.

I do have a question though after doing a couple side quests, upon completion a prompt would show up saying "*insert dungeon's* map has been updated". What does that mean?

Also this games music is amazing!

That just means you've cleared the cave. All of the caves have an associated quest.

tuffy

Gotcha. For some reason I thought it meant a new section of the dungeon was available to be explored. Not sure why though.
It's a little misleading because they're just updating the cave description text once the quest is done, but it sounds like something more noteworthy has happened.

It's a little misleading because they're just updating the cave description text once the quest is done, but it sounds like something more noteworthy has happened.
No kidding. I was ready to head back to the Noisy Marsh and see what else was there. I would have been there for hours lol.

xzoowy

I am playing Etrian Odyssey IV and I just unlocked
subclassing
and have few questions :
- Can I change my subclass later on and if so do I lose all my skill points previously invested in the first subclass ?
- Is it recommended to subclass right now even if some classes are still not available ?

tuffy

I am playing Etrian Odyssey IV and I just unlocked
subclassing and have few questions :
- Can I change my subclass later on and if so do I lose all my skill points previously invested in the first subclass ?
- Is it recommended to subclass right now even if some classes are still not available ?
If you "rest" a party member, your subclass is removed, all your skill points are unassigned, and you lose a couple of levels in the process. This lets you pick a new subclass (regaining the skill points for subclassing in the process) and rebuild your party member the way you'd like. Given that it's pretty easy to get back only a couple of levels just by farming golden sheep FOEs and the extra skill points are useful right away, there's not much need to wait.

jonjonaug

I'm kinda underwhelmed by maze 5's only floor in EOIV. The gimmick is alright, but the FOEs are so easy to kill with my party (one cast of Inferno rune takes off a full 20-25% of their health, and once I have Vanguard->Improved Link cued up they're just done) that there's no point in bothering with it.

EDIT: Oh man, link parties are even more broken than I thought they already were. It looks like the damage of the link attacks are scaled using the initial damage as a base, so if you can put an enemy to sleep before kicking off the link, all of the links also get the damage bonus. Hraesvelgr went down in like, three or four turns.

EDIT 2: Heavenbringer down, six turn fight lol.
The main body and its core ended up dying on the same turn.

EDIT 3: Great Dragon down not half an hour later. 10 turns (probably could've been quicker), but it was starting to get pretty close at the end there. Think I'll go check out the 6th stratum a little before trying the other dragons.

Rutger

Banned
On floor jumping: I don't care for it as it is, but honestly, after I've made it past a floor it is never really a threat ever again, so I also don't think it actually takes away anything.
If I had any say in it, I'd keep floor jumping, but the floor jumps in a stratum would only unlock after defeating the boss. It's a nice convenience for hunting down enemies/items in old areas.

I'm kinda underwhelmed by maze 5's only floor in EOIV. The gimmick is alright, but the FOEs are so easy to kill with my party (one cast of Inferno rune takes off a full 20-25% of their health, and once I have Vanguard->Improved Link cued up they're just done) that there's no point in bothering with it.

It's really unfortunate how short the 5th labyrinth is in EOIV, I love how it looks and it has my favorite 5th stratum music.
I think it's pretty clear the game was a little rushed, or rather that the new engine and 3D models had their cost. It's still a great game though.

spiritfox

IIRC EOIV with the overworld and all the caves had more tiles than EOIII. The problem is that it was all spread out instead of being only a single labyrinth. I do prefer the single large labyrinth though, since it feels larger.

Rutger

Banned
IIRC EOIV with the overworld and all the caves had more tiles than EOIII. The problem is that it was all spread out instead of being only a single labyrinth. I do prefer the single large labyrinth though, since it feels larger.
I enjoyed the overworld in EOIV. I love mapping so having some areas to map without random battles was nice. I also like the mini dungeon idea, the small focused gimmick puzzles is fun and could be expanded on in more interesting ways if they keep it.

It really wouldn't surprise me if there are more tiles in EOIV with all that, but yeah, the main dungeons being only three floors each makes it feel like a smaller game. (
It's more the reused assets in the sixth dungeon and the lack of a fifth or sixth set of overworlds and mini dungeons that make me feel the game was rushed though.
)
Increasing the number of floors while keeping the new this is possible, but I have no idea how likely. I'm not sure which direction I'd want the series taken in that case, I might be fine with either...
The 5th stratum is actually the longest in the game overall; it's just spread out in a unique way.

Well, technically, yes...
But I wanted more floors with that music. D:

jonjonaug

EOIV postgame progress: What evil asshole came up with the teleporter room in 6B2F?

Ice dragon and bird thing with the long name are down. All that's left are the Storm Emperor, Fallen One, and Warped Savior (along with clearing the rest of maze 6).

Nachos

EOIV postgame progress: What evil asshole came up with the teleporter room in 6B2F?

Ice dragon and bird thing with the long name are down. All that's left are the Storm Emperor, Fallen One, and Warped Savior (along with clearing the rest of maze 6).

There's actually a trick to it, unlike other teleporter rooms in the series.

Hint if you want it:
Pay attention to the room prior.

jonjonaug

Fallen One down with a party level of about 80. Having an actually difficult fight after a while is quite something. That's all of the burst skills obtained and all the quests cleared, all that's really left is clearing the final floor of the postgame dungeon.

Top Bottom