• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Relatedly, Famitsu is saying that genders aren't made explicit officially, so if you as the player wants to think a character is female, then they're female.

Finally, all those times I thought that landshark in 4 was a girl they can always be a girl now!
1117a74c115f464350d0777092b82f4b1332990199_full.jpg
This is also retroactively right?

Scher

the only reason I ever play a boy in games is because the game forces me to >_>

Well, that's the same for me, but the great thing about games that have you build a party is you get to have multiple people! That means I get to throw in a few cute boys into the mix.

Rutger

Banned
Finally, all those times I thought that landshark in 4 was a girl they can always be a girl now!

This is also retroactively right?

Well, there's never been anything ingame that says otherwise.
I don't think it's retroactively, so much as it's always been the case.

ohlawd

Well, that's the same for me, but the great thing about games that have you build a party is you get to have multiple people! That means I get to throw in a few cute boys into the mix.
making an all chick team is the closest I'm ever gonna get to having a harem so yeah that's me

I don't have the VA list handy but I'm gonna have my team be voiced by Satomi Arai, Saori Hayami, Rina Hidaka, Yoko Hikasa and Asami Seto. heh I'm probably missing two more good ones. My VA harem party <3

edit: oh fuck I forgot Yui Horie, she's even the best VA in the game. I'm so sorry. I'd take out Rina then. There's also Megumi Han and Kaori Nazuka. I'll save those three for the next run.

YAAAAAS I finally beat the final boss and beat EOIV. Good thing I decided to carry a couple Amrita II, my Sniper def needed one during the endeavor cause that fight is pretty darn long.

Haven't decided if I want to clear the extra dungeon or just start a NG+ run just yet.

What EO game would you guys recommend after this one?

Zweizer

Banned
Congrats! I'd say do the Extra Dungeon since NG+ doesn't really bring anything in this game.

As for the next game, I suggest Untold 1, Classic Mode Expert difficulty.

Nachos

What makes you think we'll get any of those VAs.
It honestly makes me wonder how Atlus would handle VO if they don't just go the way of 7th Dragon III. Even if they have one actor doing three voices, including NPCs, that's still a lot of people. It'd probably rival Q's cast size. That's assuming Atlus just doesn't remove voice options
which I'm sure would make an undub harder.

YAAAAAS I finally beat the final boss and beat EOIV. Good thing I decided to carry a couple Amrita II, my Sniper def needed one during the endeavor cause that fight is pretty darn long.

Haven't decided if I want to clear the extra dungeon or just start a NG+ run just yet.

I'd definitely recommend the 6th stratum. It's a lot of fun, and it's balanced so that you can go right into it with no extra grinding from the main final boss. As for the next game, I'd probably say III or Untold 2. III has a lot of the same types of customization, while U2 just feels a lot more refined compared to the other games, from the UI to the gameplay, even if there are some weird balance issues.

omlet

EOIV postgame stuff is the overall best in the series IMO. I suggest playing it while you're on a roll as it's a lot of fun! There's not that much of a reason to NG+ in EOIV, really, unless you wanted a totally clean slate leveling experience without losing your existing members, or if you want to play the long metagame of using some of the unique pieces of equipment (like the charge gloves) for some specific setup. There are no alternate endings or story modes in EOIV so of the EO games that offer the feature it's the one with the least use for it. If your goal is to get more members high level to experiment with different teams, just keep your same game file and pimp them out with good gear and do golden sheep or afk leveling to get them caught up.

Then play Untold 1 and 2, Classic mode, Expert difficulty. EOIII is good but I don't like the postgame and since we have not gotten any word yet on if it's getting an 'untold' remake I'd say put it at the end of your to-play list because maybe we'll have some news by the time you're ready for it. On the other hand if you have not played any of the classic DS EO games (and you should play at least one of them), 3 is probably the one to play.

Rutger

Banned

Definitely go with EOIV's postgame. The postgame is one of the best parts of the EO series, and IV's is almost as good as the godlike EOIII's.

After that, I'd say either look into EOIII or Untold 2. Untold 2 is probably easier to find, and who knows, we may see a III remake in a couple years. These two are at the top of the series alongside IV. EOI, EOII and Untold 1 can be saved for later. I and II really only if you're wanting more and want to see where it started, otherwise they are missing too many quality of life changes and have been remade. Untold 1 is easily the weakest 3DS game, it might not have the novelty getting to see the series at its start, but it has those quality of life changes that I and II are missing, no need to rush to it when there are better games to play though.

For the Untold games, people are telling you to avoid Story Mode. Untold 2's story mode is fine though. They want you to avoid Untold 1's story mode because it spoils an end game plot point very early, though that plot point probably wont be all that shocking now that you've played through an EO game, haha. Worth keeping in mind though.

omlet

Yes, good point... EOU2's story mode is good and I'd even recommend it over classic mode to someone who was waffling. Only in Untold 2, though, not in 1.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I guess I'll have to check out this extra dungeon and all the other post game content. If it's as awesome as the rest of the game, (or better) than I'm looking forward to what else awaits me.

I know you guys are recommending Untold II over I, but should I play them in order or does it genuinely not matter?

omlet

Thanks for all the recommendations! I guess I'll have to check out this extra dungeon and all the other post game content. If it's as awesome as the rest of the game, (or better) than I'm looking forward to what else awaits me.

I know you guys are recommending Untold II over I, but should I play them in order or does it genuinely not matter?

The stories are not related, except in vague same-world-but-different-place ways so it doesn't really matter that much in that regard if you play them out of order. Going from grimoire system in EOU2 to the one in EOU1 may be a little rough (though I feel that complaints about both systems are often overblown) because the one in U2 is better all around and even an U1-grimoire apologist like me can't argue that point.

The stories are not related, except in vague same-world-but-different-place ways so it doesn't really matter that much in that regard if you play them out of order. Going from grimoire system in EOU2 to the one in EOU1 may be a little rough (though I feel that complaints about both systems are often overblown) because the one in U2 is better all around and even an U1-grimoire apologist like me can't argue that point.
So the stories are different, but the mechanics are the same/similar? I only ask this cause I'm not too familiar with the grimoire sytem in those games, but it seems both use it.

jonjonaug

So the stories are different, but the mechanics are the same/similar? I only ask this cause I'm not too familiar with the grimoire sytem in those games, but it seems both use it.

The only difference in mechanics between Story and Classic is that in Story mode you get access to some classes that you can't get in Classic mode without clearing Story mode first, but at the same time you can't add any additional party members to your guild. In Untold 1 the special classes aren't that unique, but the ones in Untold 2 are very much so.

omlet

EO1 and 2 shared many of the same classes with mostly only minor differences between the two games. Similar case in the Untold games. Classes of the same name have a lot in common between the two games so mechanically they are not very different. If you like one you'll like the other. Main difference is BOOST vs FORCE

The only difference in mechanics between Story and Classic is that in Story mode you get access to some classes that you can't get in Classic mode without clearing Story mode first, but at the same time you can't add any additional party members to your guild. In Untold 1 the special classes aren't that unique, but the ones in Untold 2 are very much so.
Wait, theres a story AND a classic mode, with differences between them? This is catching my interest.

EO1 and 2 shared many of the same classes with mostly only minor differences between the two games. Similar case in the Untold games. Classes of the same name have a lot in common between the two games so mechanically they are not very different. If you like one you'll like the other. Main difference is BOOST vs FORCE
I may need to pick up these games soon, you guys are making them sound so cool right now lol.

I'm finally going through Untold 1 atm, bought he game like 1+year ago but hadn't really touched it, going story mode though. I figure I'll just kinda rush the story mode see what's it about, then start Untold 2 without bothering too much with the rest of Untold 1. I think classic would be more fun, but I don't want to spend that much time replaying the game when I have so many other games to play and my backlog increases every week.

Untold 2 classes look a lot more interesting to me too, so if I'm going to play one of them twice, I feel it'd be Untold 2. Probably do story mode, then take a break, and do classic mode a couple months before EO5 release or whatever. Assuming it ever releases in europe. Really hope they do at least digital only.

Rutger

Banned
I'm finally going through Untold 1 atm, bought he game like 1+year ago but hadn't really touched it, going story mode though. I figure I'll just kinda rush the story mode see what's it about, then start Untold 2 without bothering too much with the rest of Untold 1. I think classic would be more fun, but I don't want to spend that much time replaying the game when I have so many other games to play and my backlog increases every week.

Untold 2 classes look a lot more interesting to me too, so if I'm going to play one of them twice, I feel it'd be Untold 2. Probably do story mode, then take a break, and do classic mode a couple months before EO5 release or whatever. Assuming it ever releases in europe. Really hope they do at least digital only.

If Untold 1 has been your start with the series, definitely give classic mode a chance at some point, having complete freedom in how we build our parties is one of my, and many others, favorite things about this series. Untold 2's story mode is fine though and Fafnir is a cool class, so if you plan on going through both modes, go in whatever order you want.

I would personally make Untold 2 the one to replay. The improved Grimoire and imo all around better designed class skillsets make building our parties a lot more fun.

If Untold 1 has been your start with the series, definitely give classic mode a chance at some point, having complete freedom in how we build our parties is one of my, and many others, favorite things about this series. Untold 2's story mode is fine though and Fafnir is a cool class, so if you plan on going through both modes, go in whatever order you want.

I would personally make Untold 2 the one to replay. The improved Grimoire and imo all around better designed class skillsets make building our parties a lot more fun.

Oh no I played 4 before a while ago, so I know I like classic, but Untold 1 classic sounds kinda meh, the classes are so... basic? Story has a couple more at least but even those are kinda meh. And since Untold 2 is more or less the same classes, +2 more, I think classic there will be better.

Oh and yeah I heard Grimoire wasn't as terrible as in Untold 1. The menus are so clunky, it's a pain. Don't know how it is in Untold 2, but not a fan of the mechanic, I much prefer IV's sub classing stuff which lets you get guaranteed stuff. I mean in theory grimoire let you get a bunch of skills from many different classes, but the RNG aspect makes it really annoying.

spiritfox

Oh no I played 4 before a while ago, so I know I like classic, but Untold 1 classic sounds kinda meh, the classes are so... basic? Story has a couple more at least but even those are kinda meh. And since Untold 2 is more or less the same classes, +2 more, I think classic there will be better.

Oh and yeah I heard Grimoire wasn't as terrible as in Untold 1. The menus are so clunky, it's a pain. Don't know how it is in Untold 2, but not a fan of the mechanic, I much prefer IV's sub classing stuff which lets you get guaranteed stuff. I mean in theory grimoire let you get a bunch of skills from many different classes, but the RNG aspect makes it really annoying.

You should at least play Untold 1 Classic to see the story of the original game. Plus it's hard to go back to Untold 1 after 2.

Grimoires in Untold 2 are so much better than Untold 1. There's still RNG involved, but it's much better implemented, and now you can actually trade Grimoires between people so it's much easier to get the ones you want.

Rutger

Banned

Ah.

Yeah, the classes in EOU1 are pretty basic, they are pretty much what they were back in EOI, just with better balance. That's actually my biggest complaint with EOU1, since I personally think the class skillsets got a lot more interesting around EOIII. That and that the dungeons weren't updated to have some of the more interesting style of puzzles that the later games have. EOU2 is a lot better on both those fronts(though the dungeons weren't in as big of a need to be updated), the improved grimoire system is a bonus, even if still inferior to subclassing.

Also, Force >>> Boost.

hi guys!

I'm a Stanger to the EO games (played persona Q before exams took over... not a good idea) and would like to jump in, heard many good stuff about these games and I want to start but I don't know where... any recommendations on where to start?

Zweizer

Banned
Untold 1 Classic Mode Expert difficulty has the best story of the whole series, and is probably the best introduction for a newcomer.

If you'd rather have a game with better balance however, go with EO4 instead.

Rutger

Banned
EOIV is without question the best entry point for the series. It even has a demo that lets you play a bit of the beginning and then you can transfer that data over when you get the game. It has the most polished gameplay by far.

omlet

Start with Untold 1 Classic mode. Best story, user friendly features, exploration is extremely straightforward like PQ (until the last postgame dungeon which gets more complicated), and class roles are generally really easy to understand. It does have the obtuse grimoire system but you can largely ignore it until late in the game and there's lots of info online about it now that the game's been out and people have explored the system (the grimoire system, at a very simple level, is similar to the customizable skill cards you can use to adjust your party members' skills aside from their core skills in PQ).

EOIV is not a bad place to start, either, but in a lot of ways I think it is the best game in the series so in some ways playing other games after it may feel like a downgrade (aside from "run" movement in Untold games)? EOIV is also not as linear as other EO games so for a series newbie it might get confusing where you're supposed to be focusing your efforts between main and side dungeons. However, as long as you aren't playing them back to back and getting burnt out, I think if you like the series you'll want to play more regardless of which you start with.

Rutger

Banned
I think people are really overstating the quality of the first game's story(so also EOU1 Classic's) but even if they weren't, I don't think that should be the main selling point for this series.

Omlet makes a good point that other games might feel like a downgrade after playing EOIV, but I don't think that's a big deal overall. That's why I recommend starting with it, it's one of the strongest games so it can leave a better first impression, and if you loved your time with it then you'd be able to look past some of the missteps in the Untold games when you get to them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The dungeon maps take a huge nosedive in EO IV, which is disappointing after they had improved game over game in the rest of the series.

Rutger

Banned
EOIV's dungeons are a step down from EOIII certainly. I don't know if I would say they are worse than EOI/U1 though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Untold 1 Classic Mode Expert difficulty has the best story of the whole series, and is probably the best introduction for a newcomer.

If you'd rather have a game with better balance however, go with EO4 instead.

No EO3 is the best game with balance, as you can BREAK EVERYTHING with the sub jobs lol

It works fantastic in UO2 the grimoire system. In UO1 made me want to shit kittens...

Nachos

Some new stuff on Atlus' YouTube channel this morning
Yeah, the later part of the second video goes into giving a class one of their two specializations. It's neat that even though you can only choose between two extra skill sets, you can select what that specialization's name is.

That's what now? The class characters' names, the guild name, the names of the dogs and birds, the specialization names, and maybe some sort of guild house?

In UO1 made me want to shit kittens...
I follow the intent, but not the words.

Parakeetman

Yeah, the later part of the second video goes into giving a class one of their two specializations. It's neat that even though you can only choose between two extra skill sets, you can select what that specialization's name is.

That's what now? The class characters' names, the guild name, the names of the dogs and birds, the specialization names, and maybe some sort of guild house?

I follow the intent, but not the words.

The world is always in need of more kittens!

Parakeetman

Fafnir Knight is 19.99 currently at best buy if anyone has been waiting to pick it up.

That is a damned good price for a solid game and highly likeable cast for those interested in the story aspect. Not to mention the amount of time you can get out of the game by going through twice, once for the story and the other for doing your own party.

Top Bottom