• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Velcro Fly

i am like the worst at finishing EO games but $16 might be too good to pass up...

i did sort of enjoy what i played of the demo...

Ok gifted 3 of my friends Etrian 2 Untold :D thanks to that best buy offer.

Also super super super annoyed that the EUntold 1+2 artbook is no longer available on amazon jp :X

omlet

How different of experience is it to restart EOU2 in classic mode compared to story?

Skits that involve the story cast are gone (story, exploration, cooking). You get to adjust your party whenever you like. That's about it. Quests and missions are the same; you still go to the extra dungeon areas so you can 100% the monster codex without playing both modes (unlike EOU1).

tuffy

Also, the Ginnungagap sections are optional side quests in Classic Mode. I've heard those are required in Story Mode.

PK Gaming

Has EOU2 gone on sale yet and do you think it will go on sale soon? Looking to finally pick it up, but that Canadian price tag....

Also, the Ginnungagap sections are optional side quests in Classic Mode. I've heard those are required in Story Mode.

Skits that involve the story cast are gone (story, exploration, cooking). You get to adjust your party whenever you like. That's about it. Quests and missions are the same; you still go to the extra dungeon areas so you can 100% the monster codex without playing both modes (unlike EOU1).

I'm still fairly early wondering if I should restart in classic mode. Which is the more fun to play?

I'm still fairly early wondering if I should restart in classic mode. Which is the more fun to play?

I think it depends on wether or not you're fine with the party you have to use in the story mode. Also at least in EOU2, you can apparently retire chars, so once you reach 30 you can kinda remake your party however you want, but that does force you to play the first what, 2 stratums or so, with the starting setup. And whatever class you pick, you're still stuck with their default portrait which won't match their new classes, although that's not a huge problem.

In EOU1 however you can only change class not retire, which is the same thing but it doesn't reset your stats, which means you can only realistically change to only a few setups without ending up with terrible stats. Like Raquna the protector can't really be changed into anything else efficiently since her stats growth is terrible in everything but vit. So you're a lot more limited there and can't really expect to do crazy changes.

Overall I'd say classic is better, but you kinda miss out on the story stuff if you play classic unless you replay the game.

preta

I'm almost done with EOU2, but I'm still in the mood for something EO-like. How good is 7th Dragon (DS)? I bought it a while back and never got around to playing it, though I've listened to some of the soundtrack. If the game's not that great I'll play Persona Q instead.

I'm almost done with EOU2, but I'm still in the mood for something EO-like. How good is 7th Dragon (DS)? I bought it a while back and never got around to playing it, though I've listened to some of the soundtrack. If the game's not that great I'll play Persona Q instead.

I tried going back to PQ after EO2U and it was a little difficulty to go to older mechanics for mapmaking if you care a lot about mapmaking.

FluxWaveZ

EOV has its own "titty witch" to rival Star Ocean 5's.

Melina.jpg

Summary of the new Title and mastery skill infos (in English) with the new screenshots: http://personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-v-screenshots-character-artwork-master-skills/

Summary of the new Title and mastery skill infos (in English) with the new screenshots: http://personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-v-screenshots-character-artwork-master-skills/

Nice translation.

The new class and title system sounds really cool. Cool thing too is instead of having to retire characters if you feel your party composition isn't adapted for the endgame, you might be able to just change classes to reset your title and change your setup more easily(only 5levels to reclass, I assume retiring is still gonna be half levels, or lvl 1). Like if you feel your Herbalist or Dragoon don't need the healing/tanking titles because they do their job fine without, you could respec them to get more damage/status out of them and keep your original setup. I think that's pretty nice. Also if you replay the game, you can pick the same class but play it differently.

Not sure how viable the classes will be at their particular role, but they do get stats from their title change so they might be pretty decent. Obviously a fire dragoon isn't going to do the same damage as a warlock, but might still do good damage, at the cost of being a lot more squishy, even not counting the golden dragoon skills, due to say losing a bunch of vit for str(or agi, not sure what they'll use, I guess maybe agi cause of guns, which would also help with the shitty turn speed from using plate/shield).

Excited to see the full skills list once the game releases in japan, guess I'll spend a bunch of time making team setups while waiting for a western release hopefully by the end of the year.

EOV has its own "titty witch" to rival Star Ocean 5's.

http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Melina.jpg[IMG]

Summary of the new Title and mastery skill infos (in English) with the new screenshots: [url]http://personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-v-screenshots-character-artwork-master-skills/[/url][/QUOTE]
EDIT: No Jenetta's design is better than titty witch, Melina.

[QUOTE]The “jobless” race illustrations for the Earthrun, Therian, Lunaria and Bronie races can be selected for a character’s appearance instead of a class-specific look.[/QUOTE]
It is such a tiny feature but I absolutely loved seeing this.

Linkark07

Banned
Question guys, planning to buy EOU2 when I get paid. In U1, story mode had some exclusive areas and monsters. Does U2 have the same stuff; exclusive monsters and areas? Or can I skip story mode and go straight to classic?

Question guys, planning to buy EOU2 when I get paid. In U1, story mode had some exclusive areas and monsters. Does U2 have the same stuff; exclusive monsters and areas? Or can I skip story mode and go straight to classic?

The new area added for the story mode is available in classic, as an optional area. The main stuff missing is obviously the story skits and the Fafnir class.

spiritfox

No, they only thing locked is the Fafnir class.

Rutger

Banned

Cool, I was hoping class changing would still be in. Who knows how well we will be able to mix one class's stats with another's skills, but more options is always nice.

The Title thing sounds interesting. I wonder how different the skillsets between Titles will be? Being able to take a class in one of two different directions isn't new for the series, but hopefully since they are making the choice a bigger deal that means we will see better balance and one path wont be clearly better than the other like it usually is.

omlet

Titles feature sounds pretty neat. I've always been a fan of making a single team and sticking with it until postgame so I like the flexibility this could add. Doing this may also help alleviate the 'problem' the series has always had with classes having a lot of options but very few 'good' builds vs the amount of 'bad' builds you can do, and also the issue of some classes being significantly less (or more) useful in certain portions of the game. I like the design mantra of "you can't have everything" that EO takes with its party build limitations, but sometimes you get to things (bosses, floor designs) that you can really struggle against if your party just happened to not have the 'right' classes, so titles thing may be a good way to tackle this.

You know what's fun? Building a certain kind of party and then getting to a EVERY TILE IS DEATH floor and not having anyone with a skill the prevents tile damage.

Rutger

Banned
You know what's fun? Building a certain kind of party and then getting to a EVERY TILE IS DEATH floor and not having anyone with a skill the prevents tile damage.

Haha.

That's not really a big deal though. We can buy those items that reduce the damage, or just ignore it and heal up when a fight is about to start.

Or if you're playing EOII, rejoice, because your hexer is now a god~

Rutger

Banned
Yeah, changing the classes with each game is really nice.
Even if we get classes filling a similar roll, it keeps things feeling fresh. I'm looking forward to the Gunner-Tank.

I'm glad the series didn't continue with what EOII tried with its classes.

Rutger

Banned
I would be really surprised if there were no unlockable classes for once.

I don't remember when EOIV revealed its unlockable classes, but they're not done revealing the starting classes for EOV yet so we'll just have to wait.

MrDoctor

Hey, I'm returning to EOIV after a break. Some party advice would be appreciated as the absence has left me a bit lost. Here's what I have: L/R N/F D/L R/N M/A

Damage output seems to be my biggest issue. I like the L and D synergy with link skills after some experimenting, so I should probably focus on that. Another problem is the reliability of my M's circles. Is that just the drawback of a subclass, or can I make it work? My N is pretty much there to tank hits with Shadow Cloak.

tuffy

Hey, I'm returning to EOIV after a break. Some party advice would be appreciated as the absence has left me a bit lost. Here's what I have: L/R N/F D/L R/N M/A

Damage output seems to be my biggest issue. I like the L and D synergy with link skills after some experimenting, so I should probably focus on that. Another problem is the reliability of my M's circles. Is that just the drawback of a subclass, or can I make it work? My N is pretty much there to tank hits with Shadow Cloak.
An Arcanist main is going to have a much better time getting circles to land than a Medic. Dismiss Heal gets quite powerful, so I typically go A/M and use a Medic subclass for miscellaneous things like refresh and revive. Landshark's link skills also pump out a lot of damage eventually, but often need a bit of setup with Vanguard, Improved Link, and so on.

omlet

tuffy is not wrong about A/M, but M/A works fine, too, if you don't feel like changing that. However... Nightseeker as a tank is... well, it can work but that's like a gimmick setup. You should let your N focus on what they are good at, sub Arcanist for now, max poison and spread throw and auto spread and you're golden for exploring (it will literally carry you to postgame on non-FOE/boss encounters). If you find you can't handle the damage input, consider a F main instead. I know we have some Landshark fans around here but I'm not one of them, outside of boss fights. They take a lot of setup and need a team built around them to maximize links, which can be tedious for non-boss battles, which is the bulk of the game. Of course there is payoff on bosses but anyway. My biased advice is swap L for F/D, change N/F to N/A (N/B can work too but it's less safe), D/almostanything (I really like D/N for the dual wielding to get more attacks for chases and stun procs), keep your back line like it is if you want to keep disruptions to a minimum.

If you are in love with the Landshark and don't want to change that, then I'd say at the very least change your N's subclass to something good like Arcanist. Also change your Dancer's sub to N for the dual wield for more hits to proc more links/stuns/chases. If your team is high enough level for poison throw and spread throw you have access to all the skills your N and M will need with Arcanist subs to lock down random encounters to where you won't need a real tank. I think. M/A is healing overkill, typically, but will stay busy with no tank.

Rutger

Banned
A link party in EOIV is fun, but yeah, you need to build it to max links.
I don't know what an optimal link party is like, but my approach of just picking classes that look cool/fun worked out and I had no problem maxing links by the endgame with the help of a Dancer and a Sniper.

You shouldn't have to set up the skills for more links in random battles though, just have another class hit them with a status effect like sleep or poison and take them out quickly.

tuffy is not wrong about A/M, but M/A works fine, too, if you don't feel like changing that. However... Nightseeker as a tank is... well, it can work but that's like a gimmick setup. You should let your N focus on what they are good at, sub Arcanist for now, max poison and spread throw and auto spread and you're golden for exploring (it will literally carry you to postgame on non-FOE/boss encounters). If you find you can't handle the damage input, consider a F main instead. I know we have some Landshark fans around here but I'm not one of them, outside of boss fights. They take a lot of setup and need a team built around them to maximize links, which can be tedious for non-boss battles, which is the bulk of the game. Of course there is payoff on bosses but anyway. My biased advice is swap L for F/D, change N/F to N/A (N/B can work too but it's less safe), D/almostanything (I really like D/N for the dual wielding to get more attacks for chases and stun procs), keep your back line like it is if you want to keep disruptions to a minimum.

If you are in love with the Landshark and don't want to change that, then I'd say at the very least change your N's subclass to something good like Arcanist. Also change your Dancer's sub to N for the dual wield for more hits to proc more links/stuns/chases. If your team is high enough level for poison throw and spread throw you have access to all the skills your N and M will need with Arcanist subs to lock down random encounters to where you won't need a real tank. I think. M/A is healing overkill, typically, but will stay busy with no tank.

While I agree link Lands is a bit meh to kill trash, you also mention that Night with spread throw and autospread basically is all you need for it, so they go well together. Night clears all the trash, then when you're in boss fights, you can exploit links with the multi hits Nights get. Definitely want another class to exploit links too, although if you proc the double hit thing you can get all the links off of swift edge. For my 2nd proc, I had a runemaster in the back, they have a multi hit rune that does pretty decent damage and procs all your link with swiftedge(iirc a neutral element one, although the lightning one was I think better on single target if the target was weak to lightning).

My setup was a very basic link centric build, with lands+fortress+night, and arcanist/medic for support+runemaster for damage/procing links. Worked very well once you got far enough in the game to do full links combo and stuff, and before that it was a well balanced group to do stuff with anyway.

Dancer is another good class to proc links with, could potentially replace the fortress front line and give you another slot in the backline instead of runemaster.

Top Bottom