• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Thinking about buying Untold on the 3ds since now it's very cheap. Never played an etrian odyssey but I like the idea of forming a party a tackle enemies with good tactics. I'm not really fond of the "draw your map" thing but I've seen that there's a complete automap (tiles and walls) that can help since you have to put only the logos/notes for yourself and not stopping drawing walls every few steps.
Is a good place to start for a novice?
It's the perfect place to start! Be sure to play on Classic mode, since story isn't that great. (Unlike Untold 2, where I personally thought the story was well worth it.)

spiritfox

Thinking about buying Untold on the 3ds since now it's very cheap. Never played an etrian odyssey but I like the idea of forming a party a tackle enemies with good tactics. I'm not really fond of the "draw your map" thing but I've seen that there's a complete automap (tiles and walls) that can help since you have to put only the logos/notes for yourself and not stopping drawing walls every few steps.
Is a good place to start for a novice?

Sure, but I feel Untold 2 is the better game. Each game is standalone so you don't have to play the first one to enjoy the second. Also Classic is the mode that you form your own party, so unless you want more story I suggest doing Classic.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sure, but I feel Untold 2 is the better game. Each game is standalone so you don't have to play the first one to enjoy the second. Also Classic is the mode that you form your own party, so unless you want more story I suggest doing Classic.

That and the Grimoire system is far better in U2 than the first one.

Nachos

All of the 3DS games have demos that let you transfer all of your progress to their full games, but only IV's lets you make your own party from scratch. In the demos for U1 and U2, you're stuck with a preset party, even if they let you make your own in their classic modes that are in the full versions.

Basically it's a toss-up between customizability (IV, the classic modes for U1 and U2) or character-based story (the story modes for the Untolds). They all have story, though; the difference is in how they're told.

Zweizer

Banned
Yup, she consistantly ranks high in polls both in Japan and the West, and she's the only non-royal 1st gen to get her own cg art in the DLCs. And it's not hard when you're a well developed character with multiple facets in a game full of caricatures. Also spear fighters are amazing.

That's good to hear. I'm surprised that a lot of folks have good taste for once!

Zweizer

Banned
CjwqAHhVEAEpODS.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/nistick3/status/737510622280093697

Shishou confirmed!

i believe everyone here could say that. sadly, the recent persona news doesn't give me hope for a quick localization turnaround. i might need to import, but i still don't know that much kanji

Yea it'll definitely take longer given the number of voice tracks etc. Still hyped for it.

Yea it'll definitely take longer given the number of voice tracks etc. Still hyped for it.

20 voices for males and 20 for females right? That is alot, do we know how many lines of dialogue each one has or if the things they say depend on their class?

Also, even though the options for eye color, hair color, and skin tone are nice, I was afraid that they wouldn't have alternate color outfits for each portrait, since it didn't seem like you could change the color of the clothing. But I've noticed there were times when they had used characters with clothing colors that were different from the original portrait. And with the arrows pointing to the right when selecting a portrait for your class, I wonder how many alternate palettes there are.

Nachos

Have any of you heard the battle theme for EOV?

It's so, so, so, so good

Gah, i'm super excited for this game too...

EDIT: Shishou and Gunner are the best mascots

Oh, whoops. I totally forgot to mention that the battle theme leaked out of one of the demo events a few weeks ago. I was going to clean it up, but then I got distracted after trying to figure out how to edit out the wail while keeping the music sounding good.

The daytime town theme leaked, too.

20 voices for males and 20 for females right? That is alot, do we know how many lines of dialogue each one has or if the things they say depend on their class?

Also, even though the options for eye color, hair color, and skin tone are nice, I was afraid that they wouldn't have alternate color outfits for each portrait, since it didn't seem like you could change the color of the clothing. But I've noticed there were times when they had used characters with clothing colors that were different from the original portrait. And with the arrows pointing to the right when selecting a portrait for your class, I wonder how many alternate palettes there are.

If it's anything like Untold 2, there'll be a lot of clips. There are pretty much quips for every conceivable thing the story party can do, even if they likely won't, like Bert or Flavio using elemental attacks. There weren't any class-specific quips, but U2 only had 5 voices to deal with, so multiplying that by eight would obviously be a lot harder. It's the sort of thing that makes me think that Atlus USA will probably try to double- or triple-up on casting, just to keep costs down, provided they don't do what they did with 7th Dragon.

And yeah, so far, each class looks to have two outfit portraits: the more uniform one (like all of the fencers having the blue color schemes) and the unique one (like one female fencer having a red outfit and a male one basically looking like Oswald from Odin Sphere).

If it's anything like Untold 2, there'll be a lot of clips. There are pretty much quips for every conceivable thing the story party can do, even if they likely won't, like Bert or Flavio using elemental attacks. There weren't any class-specific quips, but U2 only had 5 voices to deal with, so multiplying that by eight would obviously be a lot harder. It's the sort of thing that makes me think that Atlus USA will probably try to double- or triple-up on casting, just to keep costs down, provided they don't do what they did with 7th Dragon.

And yeah, so far, each class looks to have two outfit portraits: the more uniform one (like all of the fencers having the blue color schemes) and the unique one (like one female fencer having a red outfit and a male one basically looking like Oswald from Odin Sphere).

I see, I was thinking along the lines of Xenoblade X where even though you have a silent protagonist with standard lines, depending on the voice you chose, their personalities start to shine through and there ends up being a lot of those voice clips for each actor. Some voice actors do have some decent range so I at least hope for english voices in general.

I actually think that there are at least three different outfits. From their recent stream where they went over character customization again, the set of portraits with alternate outfits had arrows pointing to the left and right while the original portraits only had an arrow to the right. Which makes me believe that going right won't make you return to the original portraits. There was also the fact that they edited out the selection jumped to the hair color screen for the rest of the party. Why was it OK for the Dragoon, but not the others? It might have been just to save time or to at least keep some of the second set of portraits a surprise (maybe their change is as different as the female Shogun from Etrian Odyssey III), but I think they may have scrolled passed the second set for some of them.

jonjonaug

I wonder if they'll cheap out by reducing the number of voices.

They almost certainly will considering industry trends.

Unlike with Persona 5 though I think I'd be fine with dub only, considering that in the Untold games the voices add even to just basic dungeon navigating and I doubt you could work in a subtitle system without feeling cluttered (whereas almost all lines in Persona besides party battle chatter not from the guidance character are subtitled).

Nachos

I see, I was thinking along the lines of Xenoblade X where even though you have a silent protagonist with standard lines, depending on the voice you chose, their personalities start to shine through and there ends up being a lot of those voice clips for each actor. Some voice actors do have some decent range so I at least hope for english voices in general.

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive. All of the combat were based off the character's personalities. Like, for ice attacks, Fafnir would just say "Freeze!" while Bert would say something like "This'll cool your jets!" I think there's a lot of room to express personality, even if the contexts are limited.

And yeah, there are a lot of great voice actors who would be able to be in Etrian; it's more that I was wondering if Atlus would spend all that cash on such a niche series. I just hope that, if it's in English, they spring for people they haven't used before. It's distracting that Wilhelm/Austin and Raquna/Regina sound so similar. As in, that Atlus'd get two U1 actors, both with a ton of range, to play two U2 characters with the exact same voices.

They almost certainly will considering industry trends.

Unlike with Persona 5 though I think I'd be fine with dub only, considering that in the Untold games the voices add even to just basic dungeon navigating and I doubt you could work in a subtitle system without feeling cluttered (whereas almost all lines in Persona besides party battle chatter not from the guidance character are subtitled).

Is that a standard? I only recall that being an issue with Fire Emblem, and that was likely because the mute voice option would require translating more lines.

jonjonaug

Is that a standard? I only recall that being an issue with Fire Emblem, and that was likely because the mute voice option would require translating more lines.

Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Fates both had more options in the Japanese release for the protagonist's voice, so it's what I'm used to seeing happen. Maybe Atlus will pull through and actually manage to whip up 20 voice actors for both genders.

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive. All of the combat were based off the character's personalities. Like, for ice attacks, Fafnir would just say "Freeze!" while Bert would say something like "This'll cool your jets!" I think there's a lot of room to express personality, even if the contexts are limited.

And yeah, there are a lot of great voice actors who would be able to be in Etrian; it's more that I was wondering if Atlus would spend all that cash on such a niche series. I just hope that, if it's in English, they spring for people they haven't used before. It's distracting that Wilhelm/Austin and Raquna/Regina sound so similar. As in, that Atlus'd get two U1 actors, both with a ton of range, to play two U2 characters with the exact same voices.

We seem to actually be on the same page here. The example you gave is similar to what I mean, I used the Xenoblade comparison because the standard lines are just the "call out the attack name" that is shared across characters and the protagonist, but with Soul Voice, sometimes they'll respond to a situation with lines unique to their personality including the personality (voice actor) you chose for your character. One persons "I'm in trouble." is another's "Someone heal me already!" You may have gotten confused because I mentioned class, I just wanted to know if all voices had generic lines across classes. For example, an ice attack is "Take this!" and a slash attack is "Take this!" and wasn't dependent on voice or class. Basically, I wanted the example you just gave.

I don't mind too much the reuse of voice actors across games, to me it's more "oh, I know this one" rather than "this person is everywhere!" but maybe I don't play enough games with the same voices to care as much. I do agree with wanting more unheard of actors though, it's nice when a certain voice grows on you and you are right about how it's better that if they do use the same actors they should at least let them use their range.

Getting a little tired of Dancer girl being brought up everytime this series is discussed around here.

The pink haired one in Etrian Odyssey 4 right? I can share that feeling, I haven't been in many discussions around this series, but pandering and fanservice talk is rarely fun in any series. Especially since the portrait is almost entirely avoidable. On the maybe not-so-bright side, they'll probably move on to the Necromancer when EO5 is released, so prepare for that yeah?

PK Gaming

Fates also had several VAs like Karen Strassmen and Matthew Mercer pulling triple duty, voice wise. I imagine they'll get the same handful of VAs to voice all of the characters.

Seems EO1 Untold is out of print in NA. Few stores have it and all of them sell it for 45+. Play asia 65 lmao.

Edit: That leaked town theme is interesting....

So I got a problem, I've already decided I want the boy Hound in my party, but it's hard to choose which set of clothes colors I want. I prefer the alternate palette compared to the original of the character itself, but I prefer the look of the original dog to the alternate one. If only I could combine them, then it would be perfect.

Side note, I noticed that the Necromancer was trying to paint herself to have a more natural skin tone, I find that pretty funny. There is also that Guild Card with four of the eye patch Dragoons and one Herbalist boy, I'm honestly not sure why I found that funny, but it seemed so out of place.

Apenheul

As someone who's played (and finished) Etrian Odyssey 1 and 3, is it worth it to play through the Story Mode of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold? Story Mode always struck me as something to ease new players into the franchise and I personally don't see what's in it for 'veterans' as you're being locked into a predefined party and the added dialogue doesn't really seem strong. I tried story mode in the demo but just can't make ujp my mind..

Zweizer

Banned
Untold 2's Story mode is fine as a more typical story-driven RPG. I personally found the characters endearing enough to go through it, and it's helped by the fact that the original EO2 had the most barebones story in the series, which meant there weren't much that could have been ruined.

It's not recommended to play Story mode if you wish to create your own party though, especially since content-wise nothing gets locked behind it this time.

Got a DSi XL and started playing EO III. Man, something about the older versions of these games is just more comfortable than the Untold series.

I like the snappy menus, 60fps, monster portraits and lack of floor jumping.

Floor jump really changes the game and takes away so much tension. I hope there's an option to have it turned off in future expert modes.

Top Bottom