• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

In case the previous hint was too subtle, keep in mind that ice stakes are an item you can use during the fight with the Boiling Lizard.

too subtle indeed, i totally forgot you could use them in battle, thought he was talking about the ones in the room, i also NEVER rely on any such items so i guess now's a good time to start... though i feel that 2-3 more levels under my belt also might have made a difference hmm...

update:

Damnit! That boiling Lizard is one tough boss to crack! To me he's even harder than the Hollow Queen was :(

Even with that piece of advice about the ice stakes, which by the way DOES work wonders against the scales, i STILL get my teeth kicked in by this SOB right after i wrestle him down to about 1/4th of his health. He starts to not only do some auto heal after each turn then but also proceeds to put this flame wall up which essentially auto counters each of my attacks!!

:((( guess it's back to grinding, maybe level 40 IS a bit too low for this bastard!

edit: i still have 3 subclasses left to pick, maybe THAT will help some (at least i get the free skill points hmm)

tuffy

Also, be sure to have Kibagami tag along for that fight. As I recall, he has some points in the Roar skill which deals non-elemental damage to an enemy and removes all of his buffs - like that annoying regeneration one. It's a bit like how Wufan's binds come in handy for bringing down the Hollow Queen.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, pick some subclasses just for the additional skill points, as they can make a world of difference. Also, you know about the secret passage into the boss room, right? Using it while the big scale stack is gone should allow you to attack the boss from behind, nabbing you a preemptive strike. I hope you also make use of Burst Skills (not sure which ones you can have at this point), as they could be more or less considered additional "free" actions.

omlet

:((( guess it's back to grinding, maybe level 40 IS a bit too low for this bastard!

edit: i still have 3 subclasses left to pick, maybe THAT will help some (at least i get the free skill points hmm)

Like tuffy said, either bring the new recruit Kibagami or set one of your characters to have bushi subclass. Bushi skill Roar will remove the boss' buffs. I was able to kill him without having to do that but I had a pretty optimized team by the time I got to him and I may have been closer to level 45 by then. Anyway, Roar is probably your answer.

Anustart

Kept trucking along, hunting down some items and monsters. Forging these two dragon weapons is gonna take a while. At least I no longer need elemental mists to beat them.

Needing a better sub class for my landsnikey. Thinking I should try the fallen one again soon as well.

Shizuka

I'm a little worried about Untold 2. Atlus USA announced yet another unreleased Atlus JP game for localization and nothing about Untold 2 just yet.

I'm a little worried about Untold 2. Atlus USA announced yet another unreleased Atlus JP game for localization and nothing about Untold 2 just yet.

Persona Q just came out, that's why.

Kept trucking along, hunting down some items and monsters. Forging these two dragon weapons is gonna take a while. At least I no longer need elemental mists to beat them.

Needing a better sub class for my landsnikey. Thinking I should try the fallen one again soon as well.

Go Bushi.

spiritfox

Hopefully the Atlus Tax remains SMT only and doesn't spread to EO or any other Atlus franchises. How much did EOU2 go for in Japan?

Guys for someone who never played any EO games which one would be a good one to start with?

IV on 3DS, or possibly III on DS at least until they remake it. If you like Persona a lot too, I guess Persona Q might be good, haven't played. Untold's also pretty decent for 3DS, it's the remake of the first one, and Untold 2 has been released in japan.

spiritfox

Altus Tax requires brand strength in order to be effective.

It makes me glad that EO games are niche.

Its niche status might cause them to charge more to "recoup costs due to lower sales". After how much DS2 sold and the fact that they're charging more for Break Record, I'm not sure if EOU2 can escape it.

edit: We got moved!

omlet

Guys for someone who never played any EO games which one would be a good one to start with?

My answer is in the OP
which no one reads
. When I got started on the series, the first three were out and I have played the series in release order.

If you're comfortable with dungeon crawlers in general I say start with either Untold (classic expert mode, don't start with story mode) in lieu of playing the original game (EO1/U's story really sets the tone for the whole series and it's interesting to see how it progresses from there).

Or start with EO4 since it is the best balanced game in the series. The story of EO4 is not directly related to any of the other games (only EO1/U and EO2 have any real for-sure ties, but even then they're not influential on the actual plotlines) so you can play it first. It's the easiest game in the series which makes it a good starting point for someone new to the series/genre that doesn't care about playing things in order.

tuffy

Are these games hard?
They're not as hard as their reputation might suggest. The main story portions have always been designed to be beatable with just about any party, but some careful party planning can make them easier by exploiting skill combinations even the designers seemingly hadn't thought of.

Zweizer

Banned

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

If you're comfortable with dungeon crawlers in general I say start with either Untold (classic expert mode, don't start with story mode) in lieu of playing the original game (EO1/U's story really sets the tone for the whole series and it's interesting to see how it progresses from there).

That's what I'd personally recommend as well (aside from the Expert mode part if you're unsure about the difficulty). The first game is pretty much the best introduction to the series setting-wise. Of course, if you care not for such things and just want to try your hand at facing the challenges offered by the games, 4 is a good starting point for its balance and difficulty curve.

omlet

Are these games hard?
EO games all share the same fundamentals, more or less (much of which is detailed in the OP, read it!). The first one you play will seem like the hardest (probably) because you will be learning how the series works, how the flow of battles goes, how various skills work, etc. However, once you've learned how to play an Etrian Odyssey game, you will have a much easier time playing more of them.

Basically they're hard if you don't know what you're doing and they're easy if you do know what you're doing and learning what to do is half the fun. EO doesn't hold your hand very much, it expects you to want to play the game for the game's sake.

I think their reputation for being very difficult is exaggerated by people who are bad at or dislike the games whining about them. They're not short games, though. So if you're defining "hard" as "take a long time to finish" then yeah these are not little 20 hour games you can just rush through.

And like tuffy mentioned, there are several ways to break each game over your knee with the right kind of party planning and setup. That's also a lot of fun.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It probably means less new people wandering by, which is bad, but it means we're official in the community side now, instead of a dead thread, which is good.

Thanks omlet!

I just read through the whole OP and must give you a thumbs up for your work mate! I think I'll start with part 4 as I'm completely new to dungeoning games.

Keep up the good work !

Zweizer

Banned
It probably means less new people wandering by, which is bad, but it means we're official in the community side now, instead of a dead thread, which is good.
It was inevitable but I think we carved a decent niche in the forum for what this series and and got a bunch of subscribers to the thread, even if they don't contribute.
I'm super happy to see a 27-page EO Community Thread. :)

True, the thread is now in the appropriate section, but I wanted it to remain at the forefront of GAF and invite more people to jump into this series.

Here's hoping the community won't stop growing~

Love this series since the first game on the DS. Does anyone remember them saying way back that the plan was to have 6 games in the series? I could have swore I read that sometime between the release of the first and second game but I can't find anything on it now :/

Zweizer

Banned
Love this series since the first game on the DS. Does anyone remember them saying way back that the plan was to have 6 games in the series? I could have swore I read that sometime between the release of the first and second game but I can't find anything on it now :/

First time I've ever heard about it. Considering that the franchise is now one of Atlus' staple franchises, it sounds rather unlikely that they'd limit themselves to six games to say the least. Not to mention, if we count the remakes and spin-offs, we're already past six games.

Take that Boiling Lizard (and Baboon King too i guess)!!!!!!

Finally beat both of these guys, what a relief...

Now onto new frontiers :)

(yes i realize i am probably only half way through the game after all that LOL)

Delstius

It was inevitable but I think we carved a decent niche in the forum for what this series and and got a bunch of subscribers to the thread, even if they don't contribute.
I'm super happy to see a 27-page EO Community Thread. :)

As a lurker who don't contribute much yet love EO, I also enjoy greatly to see this thread alive.

Gratz and good luck for the next part, you're just past halfway yeah. Also, if you're having a hard time from now on, remember that binds are a wonderful thing.

ohlawd

Boiling Lizard is probably my favorite boss fight out of IV

it moves around, it uses the 3rd Stratum's gimmick, such a good boss.

omlet

It was the only boss until postgame that I had to try more than once to beat (got trapped and had to fight him at full HP the first time and he wore me down but I got him on the second try after icing the scales). Yeah, he was a good boss.

Nachos

True, the thread is now in the appropriate section, but I wanted it to remain at the forefront of GAF and invite more people to jump into this series.

Here's hoping the community won't stop growing~

I'll be sure to include a link to the Etrian community thread in the Fafnir OT when
if
it gets posted. I think it'd be good to do the same for all of the other OTs.

what are the chances people whose first EO is PQ are willing to try the actual series?

zero, right? lol

I think there'll be quite a few, but it'll only be from certain parts of the fanbase. There's the segment who primarily play for the story and characters, who might not care for the RPG mechanics no matter what form they take, and those who do like them who might be more inviting of new experiences. I think the former's the the most vocal, but there'll still be plenty who might be curious and who will hopefully have fun.

The biggest obstacles I see right now are that there's no indication that the game's very Etrian-like to unaware players and that lingering rhetoric saying there's no story.

Are you talking about near the end of Untold's story mode, where
the game reveals that there's only seven or so trees in the world?

Zweizer

Banned
Third and fourth wave of DLC for EOU2 revealed (apparently the fourth wave should have been revealed the 18th. Not sure why it's already public).

We get a bunch of monsters, including recycled ones from the first Untold, and an EXP-giving Clover quest (probably the last grinding DLC).

Third wave:

g6yzltT.jpg

Fourth wave:

The fourth wave also contains what seems to be the ultimate boss, who resides on the elusive 31st floor. Doesn't that sound exciting?

PK Gaming

Ahhh, I remember when I struggled with the Boiling Lizard boss

I finally defeated it when I fully set up my link party

Good times

I really miss EOIV

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its niche status might cause them to charge more to "recoup costs due to lower sales". After how much DS2 sold and the fact that they're charging more for Break Record, I'm not sure if EOU2 can escape it.

weird considering there are a lot older OTs still on the main page.

omlet

The fourth wave also contains what seems to be the ultimate boss, who resides on the elusive 31st floor. Doesn't that sound exciting?
So Ur-child is still the postgame boss and this is an extra one?

I'm okay with fluff DLC but I'm not liking where this is heading.

Zweizer

Banned
So Ur-child is still the postgame boss and this is an extra one?

I'm okay with fluff DLC but I'm not liking where this is heading.

From what I can gather it's about some sort of "primordial devil", which is also the most evil being in the labyrinth (What a surprise!). I'm not particularily fond of the escalation either, but the primordial part has me interested.

Poor Ur-Child, though. Losing the spotlight like that.

Anteo

I still believe the biggest problem with the 3rd stratum is the music. Like, it makes me want to get the hell out of it.

Anustart

Beat the fallen one, barely. Used a lot of items and two people were dead with no hope of revival at the end, and tp was tapped for everyone but my fortress, who was dead anyway. Only thing left is this dang warped savior.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All of the stratum's suck in IV. Partially its because they aren't big enough and are separated because of the dumb airship map. Mostly though its just a bunch of retread ideas with little to no super dangerous floors.

spiritfox

All of the stratum's suck in IV. Partially its because they aren't big enough and are separated because of the dumb airship map. Mostly though its just a bunch of retread ideas with little to no super dangerous floors.

Echoing Library is ok, mostly because of the music.

Top Bottom