• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

That damn investigation quest in the Echoing Library (EOIV) drives me nuts!!

After a long time of trying to find these monsters, all i had left was 2 freakin white apes and of course the rng gods would not be so kind and let me get them :(((

So yeah, after what must have been the 20th encounter against freakin tree stumps and proto hunters i had to give up cos i had NO TP left :(

back to the beginning again for me.

edit: after a combination of escaping battles, rigorous TP conservation and luck i finally managed to get them :)

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Awesome. Thanks, John! Any idea as for what classes you'll use, or will you just kind of wing it?

It'll be a pretty basic party: Landsknecht, Protector, Runemaster, Medic. But we'll look at skills and some of the fun Mystery Dungeon changes. (Of which there are many, this game is bonkers.)

We'll get nuts in future livestreams. :D

Zweizer

Banned
It'll be a pretty basic party: Landsknecht, Protector, Runemaster, Medic. But we'll look at skills and some of the fun Mystery Dungeon changes. (Of which there are many, this game is bonkers.)

Pick the female Protector and name her Shishou please ლ(◕ω◕ლ)

Nachos

Looking forward to it.

I should have subscribed to this thread, lol. I rarely venture out of the gaming section of GAF and was sad thinking this thread had fallen inactive because I hadn't seen it on the front page of the gaming section in a while. It was here all along!

Does anyone have a recommendation in the Mystery Dungeon series I should try if I'm interested in playing one before Etrian x MD? I think the closest thing I've probably played was Sorcery Saga: Legend of the Curry God for Vita which was kinda cute, but not extremely difficult or deep.

I'm actually in the same boat. I've been asking around, and I've had some friends and internet buddies recommend both Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky and Shiren the Wanderer DS as good starting points. I've heard that the 3DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are really mediocre, though. Pokemon is apparently significantly more forgiving, but I figure that with the wanderer class announcement, Shiren might be a better indicator of what EMD might be like.

I just need to find the time to play them.

Blue-kun

'Sup, y'all. I reckon it's better to post this here than bump the OT as that one's been dead for a while now.

Played a lot of JRPGs over my life, but curiously never really tried these dungeon crawlers before. Saw EO4 for sale on the eShop for $15 and decided to grab it, mainly fueled by my desire to listen to Yuzo Koshiro's compositions in-game, first and foremost, haha.

Have like, I dunno, 10 hours or a bit more of playtime and finally beat the first stratum, advancing to the 2nd one. Running Land / Fortrress on the front, Sniper / Medic / Runemaster on the backrow, because the game told me to balance it out and that seemed like the most balanced option at the time. Having fun with Links and Binds, in particular, as they're interesting little skills that really feel like you're building a really synergetic party and what not.

On that note though, I reckon I'll be getting the Arcanist after I'm done with the 2nd stratum, and I'd love to use that, so thought I'd drop by and ask you guys what would be an interesting way to tackle that. From what I gather, reading the skills, Arcanists and Nights should work well together, and I like how Nights look too (shallow person, yo), so I wouldn't be opposed to adding one.

The question, however, is that I'm unsure on what I should replace for both of those. Kind of Adamant in keeping my Fort, as I like the Taunt ability and sponging all those hits, so maybe take out the Land and RM? As it seems like Nights can also trigger the Land's Links, and Sniper's Volleys would work well for that, too.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Dancers? I tried it a bit, but it seemed far too confusing for starting with, so I left them there. But they do seem like they'd be interesting to use too.

And well, guess that's it for now, lol. Anyway, having a good time, and love mapping in particular (even though I keep auto map on because I'm too lazy to fill every little square w/ green, haha).

Zweizer

Banned
Arcanist is a bit of an oddball, as the class can fulfill the roles of both Sniper (binds), Nightseeker (status) and Medic (heal), though of course it's not as effective at it as either of these classes. It really depends on which role you want your Arcanist to fulfill. I should also mention that at some point you'll have access to subclassing, so maybe you should hold off changing your party until then.

Dancer is the class specialized in buffs. Every dance skill will buff the row the Dancer is in (so if the Dancer uses Attack Tango while on the front row, the two other classes, say, in your case, Landsknecht and Fortress, will get an increase to their Attack) for 3 turns (Expertise and Mastery skills both make the dances last longer). What's important to note is that the dances only use the Dancer's buff slot, meaning it frees up additional buff slots for the other classes that are benefitting from the dances. It might sound minor, but buff and debuff slots are limited (3 of each), so it can be the difference between life and death against tough foes. Dancers are pretty good offensively as well, notably in supporting the Landsknecht at triggering links.

In short, Dancers are an awesome support class that can fit in any party.

I'm beginning to sound like Mauricio here.

For the arcanist, it's generally pretty simple, drop the medic. Arcanist has some heals and is in general a lot more useful. You could also drop the sniper, because Arcanist also does binds, though if you want to do status ailments circles for a NS, then you probably won't do binds(only one circle up at a time and there's 3 binds to level up so you'll be short on points). Could replace both with Arcanist+NS and you'd have my group basically. NS alone is good enough for links, if you get the multi hit attack and the chance to double cast attack skills, and RM can proc the rest of the links with their multi hits too.

You definitely want to keep the RM for a links party I'd say, cause you need those wards debuff, though you could sub RM on the Land and do it that way instead, but that eats a lot of turns just preparing with Vanguard > Improved Links > Ward > finally do stuff.

For the arcanist/NS stuff, I think you basically need to decide if your NS is your main source of damage, in which case you spec the arcanist into status ailments and keep the sniper for binds and drop the RM and/or land or if your NS is an enabler for links, in which case you don't bother with status circles and get bind circles, drop the sniper, keep the RM. In both cases though, the NS is useful for clearing most trash mobs for "free" in one or two turns with poison throw.

'Sup, y'all. I reckon it's better to post this here than bump the OT as that one's been dead for a while now.

Played a lot of JRPGs over my life, but curiously never really tried these dungeon crawlers before. Saw EO4 for sale on the eShop for $15 and decided to grab it, mainly fueled by my desire to listen to Yuzo Koshiro's compositions in-game, first and foremost, haha.

Have like, I dunno, 10 hours or a bit more of playtime and finally beat the first stratum, advancing to the 2nd one. Running Land / Fortrress on the front, Sniper / Medic / Runemaster on the backrow, because the game told me to balance it out and that seemed like the most balanced option at the time. Having fun with Links and Binds, in particular, as they're interesting little skills that really feel like you're building a really synergetic party and what not.

On that note though, I reckon I'll be getting the Arcanist after I'm done with the 2nd stratum, and I'd love to use that, so thought I'd drop by and ask you guys what would be an interesting way to tackle that. From what I gather, reading the skills, Arcanists and Nights should work well together, and I like how Nights look too (shallow person, yo), so I wouldn't be opposed to adding one.

The question, however, is that I'm unsure on what I should replace for both of those. Kind of Adamant in keeping my Fort, as I like the Taunt ability and sponging all those hits, so maybe take out the Land and RM? As it seems like Nights can also trigger the Land's Links, and Sniper's Volleys would work well for that, too.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Dancers? I tried it a bit, but it seemed far too confusing for starting with, so I left them there. But they do seem like they'd be interesting to use too.

And well, guess that's it for now, lol. Anyway, having a good time, and love mapping in particular (even though I keep auto map on because I'm too lazy to fill every little square w/ green, haha).

Get a Dancer, slap 4 points into Regen Waltz(or more if you don't mind the TP cost), max Fan Dance, and get her Proficiency skill for that extra dance turn and you already have a better and cheaper healer than the Medic that can be in the front row evading everything(which means someone else is not getting hit). If you get Attack Tango then she becomes an amazing buffer that is also making boss battles way quicker.

After you get subclassing, Dancer/NS is a monster, Blade Furry + Mist Dance + Sword Dance is so good. You just dance every several turns and then auto attack and have even the hardest bosses in the game stunned. This also makes the Dancer one of the best partners for Links.

Drop that Medic the second you get the Arcanist, the Arcanist laughs at the Sniper and shows them how to bind the shit out of everything, the passive healing is also amazing, and they NEVER run out of TP.

Another class that is way too good after level 40 is the NS, Venom Throw is just incredible.

I'm beginning to sound like Mauricio here.

I'm proud.

Dorarnae

I haven't played the game for a long time, but aren't dance considered as a buff? this is my main problem with the serie, not being able to have more than 3 buff on everyone...
Not saying dancer are bad, but depending on what you want to do, you might prefer to keep those slot for other buff.

edit: nm, I just read what zweizer said...heh

Anteo

I haven't played the game for a long time, but aren't dance considered as a buff? this is my main problem with the serie, not being able to have more than 3 buff on everyone...
Not saying dancer are bad, but depending on what you want to do, you might prefer to keep those slot for other buff.

Yes those are buffs. But it only takes slots from the dancer

omlet

Yeah, the thing about Dancers is that dances only consume a buff slot on the Dancer, so it's not like the Troubadour/Princess style buffs from the earlier games that ate a buff slot on the entire row/party. That has its own downside(s) (such dancer dies = goodbye all your buffs), but in general it's a really nice change.

Also, having a 3 buff limit really only ever matters in tougher boss fights, so part of your strategy is managing which ones to prioritize. In general, if your party needs 3+ buff slots filled just to handle random encounters you may have a poorly setup party, heh.

ohlawd

3 is plenty. Are there even that many buffs in IV? half serious question

Landsketch is a good answer. That thing's upkeep lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, the thing about Dancers is that dances only consume a buff slot on the Dancer, so it's not like the Troubadour/Princess style buffs from the earlier games that ate a buff slot on the entire row/party. That has its own downside(s) (such dancer dies = goodbye all your buffs), but in general it's a really nice change.

Also, having a 3 buff limit really only ever matters in tougher boss fights, so part of your strategy is managing which ones to prioritize. In general, if your party needs 3+ buff slots filled just to handle random encounters you may have a poorly setup party, heh.

!!!

I beat EO IV easily thinking the Dancers buffs counted for everyone's limit!

Zweizer

Banned
3 is plenty. Are there even that many buffs in IV? half serious question

Landsketch is a good answer. That thing's upkeep lol

Party-wide buffs from Fortress and Runemaster can easily use up 2-3 slots, but yeah, unlike other installment there weren't that many situations where you'd be dying for buff slots (crazy setups with Landsknecht or Bushi, overstacked Fortress or Dancer.)

Blue-kun

Oh, thanks for the impressions, guys. I think I'll wait til I get the subclasses, then, before starting to change my party around. But I like the idea of using Nightseeker as the main damage dealer and having the Arcanist spread around those status. I suppose Nightseeker and Arcanist are locks, and then I'd be running the Sniper for the binds. The Fort would be there for tanking, and that would leave the last spot for...?

Anyhow, played a little more and got through the Miasma Forest, so now I can fly higher and randomly got assaulted by a big yellow dragon. Thankfully I didn't actually get in batle with it, as I imagine tears would have ensued... haha.

Zweizer

Banned
Oh, thanks for the impressions, guys. I think I'll wait til I get the subclasses, then, before starting to change my party around. But I like the idea of using Nightseeker as the main damage dealer and having the Arcanist spread around those status. I suppose Nightseeker and Arcanist are locks, and then I'd be running the Sniper for the binds. The Fort would be there for tanking, and that would leave the last spot for...?

Anyhow, played a little more and got through the Miasma Forest, so now I can fly higher and randomly got assaulted by a big yellow dragon. Thankfully I didn't actually get in batle with it, as I imagine tears would have ensued... haha.

I suggest you at least have some way to deal elemental damage for that last party slot.

Better run away from these big scary dragons. They move pretty fast, but if you have the courage, the resources they drop as they move around can net you a lot of En (provided you don't get shot down, as you'll lose all your resources.)

tuffy

That's quite a lot of status and binds. It's probably wise to have some elemental damage output too just to keep some balance.
Anyhow, played a little more and got through the Miasma Forest, so now I can fly higher and randomly got assaulted by a big yellow dragon. Thankfully I didn't actually get in battle with it, as I imagine tears would have ensued... haha.
When the dragons are flying loose you don't even get a chance to fight them; they'll just blast your ship out of the sky and sent your party back to town with a lot of hurt. Those shinies they leave behind are a great source of cash if you're willing to risk it, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only game where I think elemental damage (i.e. magical elemental damage) is really necessary is EO1.

That being said I pretty much always use an Alchemist or its offshoots and a Gunner when available, though gunners do physical elemental damage for the most part.

omlet

I'm a huge fan of NS, it's my favorite class in EO4 and they're great. Honestly, though, IMO, if you have a Nightseeker then you don't want your Arcanist to be applying status ailments for several reasons.
1 - Because of how Foul Mastery works, ailments applied by anyone other than your NS means your NS does less damage (even though their class mastery skill will still work from ailments they didn't apply).
2 - Poison is your go-to ailment for random encounters and NS' poison is far more powerful than A's (700 damage per tick vs 300).
3 - Auto-spread. After level 40 your NS will literally be wiping out entire packs of enemies in 1 or 2 turns if you spend your points right.
4 - NS can apply ailments just fine but no one can bind like an Arcanist can--focus on bind circles instead for your A, don't bother with ailments.

As for party build overall, if NS is a lock (good pick--I recommend you sub A and take Ailment Boost ASAP) and you want to keep your F (also a good idea with squishy people like NS and A), and you're taking an Arcanist (probably sub medic?) then you really just need two more strong damage dealers or a dancer and a damage dealer. I would recommend dropping the Sniper and letting your other two slots go to L and R, R and D, or D and L. Going with R and D is what I did...a NS with dancer buffs is a monster, and R's toolkit of elemental damage will be very useful. Landshark is a good pick for a front line attacker, too, if you want to mess with setting up link attacks.

The only game where I think elemental damage (i.e. magical elemental damage) is really necessary is EO1.

That being said I pretty much always use an Alchemist or its offshoots and a Gunner when available, though gunners do physical elemental damage for the most part.

Elemental damage is not a necessity in EO4, but my Runemaster was still a crucial member of my team in EO4, just spamming Galvanic Rune and Origin Rune all day.

Here's my recommendation, drop the Sniper and have the Arcanist as your binder. Then have your NS as your damage dealer and Venom Thrower + whatever stats you want.

A Dancer(or Medic) + Runemaster plus your other members(Arcanist, NS, and Fortress) would make a team with everything you need.

tuffy

The downsides to status and binds is that they don't always apply right away and monsters build up a resistance after the first application. That's not a problem against random encounters, but can be an issue in long boss fights. So it's nice to have some steady damage that's guaranteed to work each round.

omlet

The downsides to status and binds is that they don't always apply right away and monsters build up a resistance after the first application. That's not a problem against random encounters, but can be an issue in long boss fights. So it's nice to have some steady damage that's guaranteed to work each round.

Typically a non-issue with Releasal Spell.

tuffy

Typically a non-issue with Releasal Spell.
Pretty expensive, though.

I remember running a lot of Nightseeker/Imps in the front row for awhile. When a throw would land I'd do all the damage there is. But when I'd spend turn after turn trying to apply status against some stubborn boss, I started wishing for something more reliable.

Get a Dancer, slap 4 points into Regen Waltz(or more if you don't mind the TP cost), max Fan Dance, and get her Proficiency skill for that extra dance turn and you already have a better and cheaper healer than the Medic that can be in the front row evading everything(which means someone else is not getting hit). If you get Attack Tango then she becomes an amazing buffer that is also making boss battles way quicker.

After you get subclassing, Dancer/NS is a monster, Blade Furry + Mist Dance + Sword Dance is so good. You just dance every several turns and then auto attack and have even the hardest bosses in the game stunned. This also makes the Dancer one of the best partners for Links.

Drop that Medic the second you get the Arcanist, the Arcanist laughs at the Sniper and shows them how to bind the shit out of everything, the passive healing is also amazing, and they NEVER run out of TP.

Another class that is way too good after level 40 is the NS, Venom Throw is just incredible.

I'm proud.

eh i gotta disagree there, i constantly run out of TP with my arcanist.. then again maybe that has to do with the fact that i just LOVE poison circle and use it on practically EVERY random battle LOL (i don't have a NS to poison and my dancer that is subbed NS won't go that far in the tree to unlock that ability or should i? hmmm)

eh i gotta disagree there, i constantly run out of TP with my arcanist.. then again maybe that has to do with the fact that i just LOVE poison circle and use it on practically EVERY random battle LOL (i don't have a NS to poison and my dancer that is subbed NS won't go that far in the tree to unlock that ability or should i? hmmm)

If you get Proficiency(3 levels) + TP Return you should not run out of TP unless you’re unlucky as hell or as you say, spam Poison Circle in every battle haha, I also always take with me some TP restoring items just in case as my Arcanist was also my healer.

Releasal Spell is the only spell that could drain me out but I always had enough TP.

Dancer should only sub as a NS for the dual weapons, don't waste points on getting her Venom Throw when she should only be Dancing and stunning everything(and giving First Turns or Using items if you want).... get a NS instead, Venom Throw + Auto Spread makes every random battle a joke and it's amazing.

If you get Proficiency(3 levels) + TP Return you should not run out of TP unless you’re unlucky as hell or as you say, spam Poison Circle in every battle haha, I also always take with me some TP restoring items just in case as my Arcanist was also my healer.

Releasal Spell is the only spell that could drain me out but I always had enough TP.

Dancer should only sub as a NS for the dual weapons, don't waste points on getting her Venom Throw when she should only be Dancing and stunning everything(and giving First Turns or Using items if you want).... get a NS instead, Venom Throw + Auto Spread makes every random battle a joke and it's amazing.

I do have proficiency maxed already but only 1 pt in TP return so far... might have to up that a little, thanks!

Also: I am tempted to get a NS but honestly, WHO am i gonna drop for her? I love my Land now for the linking, my Fortress is crucial for my party, my dancer is great, love my arcanist/med and my RM is my main damage dealer so.... shit outta luck i guess lol :(

omlet

With your current setup I wouldn't try to drop someone for a NS, even though I love recommending NS. The L/D/R trio is a solid damage dealing setup. Once you reach endgame you could power level a NS (or a whole new party) up and try out some different setups if you want, but for now you're at the point where I would recommend not trying to shuffle your party around until after you beat the story.

I do have proficiency maxed already but only 1 pt in TP return so far... might have to up that a little, thanks!

Also: I am tempted to get a NS but honestly, WHO am i gonna drop for her? I love my Land now for the linking, my Fortress is crucial for my party, my dancer is great, love my arcanist/med and my RM is my main damage dealer so.... shit outta luck i guess lol :(

If your team works then don't drop anyone, my team was:

L/NS/D
R/A

So it's obvious who I'd recommend you to drop, haha. I had a fortress but when I reached level 40 I retired everyone and changed her for a NS, she's just too useful in the end game, I'll admit that a Fortress is useful as hell but I prefered the extra damage.

ok i'll stick with my party till the end (pre-post game, yes that is a word now).

I feel like i am not ready to drop my F just yet as i don't know the game well enough yet and i just love the hitsponge that the F is, else my backrow would probably be getting oneshotted left and right.

ok i'll stick with my party till the end (pre-post game, yes that is a word now).

I feel like i am not ready to drop my F just yet as i don't know the game well enough yet and i just love the hitsponge that the F is, else my backrow would probably be getting oneshotted left and right.

The Fortress will always be useful, I'm just crazy and I like to go full offensive. That's what's awesome about EO, everything works........ till the post game(EO4s postgame is easy anyways).

Anustart

Probably won't bother with warped savior. I don't have the patience to go hunting for items for hours to get the stuff to buy. Not to mention when he opens his eye each attack kills everyone but fortress, might leave a couple left with next to no hp. Then if you use burst to revive everyone, whoops, here's an attack that will more than likely stone everyone in your party. Not for me. Maybe if I didn't have to go around to a thousand dungeons getting a measly 2 items from each drop spot. Oh, and he's in the back row, so you do half damage.

I don't see why you supposedly need to grind items for hours, I also don't recall grinding much(my team was level 84).

I remember that Origin Rune and my RM in general being the MVP in that battle(Volt/Ice/Fire Run help a ton).

Zweizer

Banned
It really depends more on your tactics than the need for farming the best materials available. What's your current party and the strategy you used to fight it?

EMD livestream happening at 2 p.m. PST today. Gonna be a super-basic intro, but still some good info!

Well, looks like I won't be getting any sleep today.

Anustart

It really depends more on your tactics than the need for farming the best materials available. What's your current party and the strategy you used to fight it?

Well, looks like I won't be getting any sleep today.

Fortress/Dancer, Landshimey/Something. Bushi maybe, Nightseeker/Imperial, Sniper/Bushi, Arcanist/Medic.

Tactics were: Get hit by first attack from eye, everyone dies, revive with burst, everyone dies, remaining people get stoned, shut the ds.

Zweizer

Banned
Fortress/Dancer, Landshimey/Something. Bushi maybe, Nightseeker/Imperial, Sniper/Bushi, Arcanist/Medic.

Tactics were: Get hit by first attack from eye, everyone dies, revive with burst, everyone dies, remaining people get stoned, shut the ds.

Wait, you used the chemicals, right? Because otherwise it's pretty much impossible to beat it.

omlet

Yeah I sprayed him down.

First off, Imperial seems like a really weird choice for a Nightseeker subclass. I think you'd be better off with Arcanist or Bushi. Ailment Boost from Arcanist or Blood Surge/Defiance from Bushi are way better anything Imperial sub gives your NS. What level is your party?

It's been a few months since I fought him, but I think you can probably beat him. Maybe some of these tips will help. Your party is a bit different from mine but you have a NS so I can give you tips about using NS specifically on this fight and how it might swing things in your favor, because from the dozen or so times I have killed him, my NS has been MVP every time. She basically kills the eye in like 1 hit after landing an ailment on it after it opens. The key is Foul Mastery.

Since you have a NS in your party, you don't need to rush the Pupa phase. In fact, that's a perfect time to have your NS apply ailments and to stack up Foul Mastery power and for your L and S to get buffs stacked and your A to lay down circles. Get pupa down to almost dead and on the turn you're sure you're ready to finish the it off, have NS use Spread Throw (should act early enough to activate it) while the L and S kill the pupa.

Have your NS use Sand or Venom throw on the first round that the buds and eye appear. Move F to back row now and intercept attacks with guard skills. L and S should go nuts on the buds. Prioritize the ones that did not get hit with an ailment by the NS' throw skill (if any).

That should get you through to the eye opening. On the turn it opens, use the Burst skill Geo Impact to stun him. It will cancel his turn and he won't use his powerful attack. Use this free turn for your L and S to go nuts on him, your Arcanist to use Releasal Spell, and your Nightseeker to use Venom Throw (if it doesn't stick, it should on the next turn after Releasal Spell). At this point it's a DPS race. As soon as you get any ailment on the eye, have your NS start using max rank Swift Edge as it should do mega damage plus assist your L's damage with links.

If this strat doesn't work for you with your current setup I really recommend you swap subs on your NS. Also, don't feel like you have to fully forge your entire party's weapon. Having your NS or L with a well forged weapon should be enough to win, though maybe not an easy win.

Edit: I went to make dinner and was thinking about NS/Imp. I haven't tried it but it occurred to me that you may be doing that to equip a drive blade and not use NS sword skills at all but just to stack NS Proficiency skill with Foul Mastery and the high base damage of drive blade skills. On paper, to me, that seems like a pretty weird idea, are you going for Ignition/Overdrive? I guess I can imagine how it might work out, but it just seems like it's pretty slow and hard to set up compared to just using an Imperial main and letting the NS focus on what they do best, ailments followed quickly by hard-hitting attacks that require no warmup before the ailments wear off.

Top Bottom